Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

FRINGE posted:

Theres just too many decisions that are ... sub-optimal.

Something has to be going on behind the scenes.

It's not really "behind the scenes"; Mozilla's been pretty open that they want to "grow diversified revenues" (read: wean themselves from the teat of Mother Google). It's just too bad no one seems to have a better idea than ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's not really "behind the scenes"; Mozilla's been pretty open that they want to "grow diversified revenues" (read: wean themselves from the teat of Mother Google). It's just too bad no one seems to have a better idea than ads.
Make friends with the DuckDuckGo dude. I bet he could use a pet browser.

(Flippant, before someone effortposts about it.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Firefox have something like the "recent tabs" feature of Chrome? I didn't think I used it much when I used Chrome, but once or twice a day I find myself wishing I could quickly open a tab that's open on another device.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FRINGE posted:

Make friends with the DuckDuckGo dude. I bet he could use a pet browser.

(Flippant, before someone effortposts about it.)

DDG as the default would be something I could get behind, it's been my default for a long time.

That black theme

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

HalloKitty posted:

DDG as the default would be something I could get behind, it's been my default for a long time.

That black theme

The recent revamp really made it a lot more useful.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hooah posted:

Does Firefox have something like the "recent tabs" feature of Chrome? I didn't think I used it much when I used Chrome, but once or twice a day I find myself wishing I could quickly open a tab that's open on another device.
I don't know if it is what you want, but the History menu has "Tabs From Other Devices" and "Recently Closed Tabs". I haven't used "Tabs From Other Devices" before, but it probably works if you have Firefox Sync enabled.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nalin posted:

I don't know if it is what you want, but the History menu has "Tabs From Other Devices" and "Recently Closed Tabs". I haven't used "Tabs From Other Devices" before, but it probably works if you have Firefox Sync enabled.

Yup, that'll do nicely, thanks. Coming from Chrome, I often forget about the menu bar.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I've heard that native "toaster" notifications were added in a recent version of Firefox, but they don't seem to be popping up for gmail hangout messages, even though the "notifications" option is checked in the hangout settings. Is there somewhere I need to enable them? I used to use this but it doesn't appear to work, either.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm using NoScript, but I've had problems using some Google sites, notably Maps and image search, even though I've enabled google.com scripts. What else could be causing problems?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

I'm using NoScript, but I've had problems using some Google sites, notably Maps and image search, even though I've enabled google.com scripts. What else could be causing problems?
You need to allow gstatic.com as well for those sites.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

You need to allow gstatic.com as well for those sites.

I have. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You might need to allow ggpht.com for street view, at least that's what I had to do.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Avenging Dentist posted:

To be fair, this is 90% of the Internet right now.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm on Firefox 31 on Linux, and for the last month or so the upload files function on imgur hasn't worked. Clicking the "browse your computer" option, which used to pop up a file selection dialog box, does nothing, and if I try the drag-and-drop option it shows a thumbnail of the image but then fails when I try to start the actual upload. Other web interfaces with file upload dialog boxes (i.e the WiFi File Explorer page my phone generates) continue to work fine.

I tried a new profile and that made the file selection dialog work again, so it's something in my profile, but I really don't want to have to recreate my profile from scratch just for this. The problem still happens if I start in safe mode, so I don't think it's an add-on. Trying to Google the problem just brings up a bunch of results for imgur add-ons which I don't want to install. Anyone have any ideas?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone know of an add-on that makes find-in-page as nice as Safari's? Dims the page and puts a big yellow bubble around matches so practically blind people like me can see them more easily.

Knormal posted:

I'm on Firefox 31 on Linux, and for the last month or so the upload files function on imgur hasn't worked. Clicking the "browse your computer" option, which used to pop up a file selection dialog box, does nothing, and if I try the drag-and-drop option it shows a thumbnail of the image but then fails when I try to start the actual upload. Other web interfaces with file upload dialog boxes (i.e the WiFi File Explorer page my phone generates) continue to work fine.

I tried a new profile and that made the file selection dialog work again, so it's something in my profile, but I really don't want to have to recreate my profile from scratch just for this. The problem still happens if I start in safe mode, so I don't think it's an add-on. Trying to Google the problem just brings up a bunch of results for imgur add-ons which I don't want to install. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried just resetting your profile? It preserves history, bookmarks, cookies, etc. but clears out the behind the scenes junk.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

The Milkman posted:

Anyone know of an add-on that makes find-in-page as nice as Safari's? Dims the page and puts a big yellow bubble around matches so practically blind people like me can see them more easily.

Findbar Tweak has a function similar to what you're looking for.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Milkman posted:

Have you tried just resetting your profile? It preserves history, bookmarks, cookies, etc. but clears out the behind the scenes junk.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems
...And of course today it started working again without me changing anything. But I didn't realize the reset preserved your settings, I assumed it wiped everything. I'll keep this in mind if it acts up again.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

Findbar Tweak has a function similar to what you're looking for.

That's actually pretty nice. I'm not sure how Opera did it before I switched a year ago, and I don't use find a whole lot, but I did notice I was having trouble seeing the highlights on some pages in Firefox. It wasn't a big deal but this is much nicer than the default.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is this a known issue?

When I open many tabs (more than 10) with large photos in them (large "original" size photos on flickr), Firefox simply refuses to show some of the images. It only shows a "broken image" icon. Sometimes when you close the tab and then un-close it (ctrl-shift-T), the image is shown. Sometimes that does not help. Opening the same page immediately in Chrome or Opera (classic) displays the image. Restarting Firefox also helps.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Wheany posted:

Is this a known issue?

When I open many tabs (more than 10) with large photos in them (large "original" size photos on flickr), Firefox simply refuses to show some of the images. It only shows a "broken image" icon. Sometimes when you close the tab and then un-close it (ctrl-shift-T), the image is shown. Sometimes that does not help. Opening the same page immediately in Chrome or Opera (classic) displays the image. Restarting Firefox also helps.
I wonder if Firefox might be running out of memory due to an add-on. I just tested and was able to open more than a dozen 20MP+ images and tab between them, I did have to wait for it to re-decode the image almost every time but that's <1 second. Try with a clean profile and see if the problem persists. You might also make sure you have the latest video drivers installed (Beta drivers if an AMD card).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah, I can reliably open many more than 10 big images at once in Firefox. I'm not exactly sure how big "original" size photos are, but more than 10 2-3 MB images doesn't seem like it would be a problem except in load times.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Wheany posted:

Is this a known issue?

I run into that problem, but I've got an order of magnitude more tabs than that. My issue is caused by Firefox running out of memory (when this is happening firefox.exe is often using 2.6+ GB), if it's the same issue then you've probably got an addon eating a lot of memory.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If I have too many tabs full of images open Firefox turns the pages black as soon as I try to scroll. That's my cue to save anything I'm doing because it also means it's about to crash.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Desuwa posted:

I run into that problem, but I've got an order of magnitude more tabs than that. My issue is caused by Firefox running out of memory (when this is happening firefox.exe is often using 2.6+ GB), if it's the same issue then you've probably got an addon eating a lot of memory.

Yes, I usually have tens of tabs open at the point, in addition to the several large image tabs. And yes, Firefox is using a lot of memory.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If I have too many tabs full of images open Firefox turns the pages black as soon as I try to scroll. That's my cue to save anything I'm doing because it also means it's about to crash.

This is also true and happens unacceptably often.

I don't know what Firefox is doing because the amount of memory can be anything from "just" around 1 gig to somewhere around 3. My computer is nowhere near running out of memory at that point though.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Wheany posted:

I don't know what Firefox is doing because the amount of memory can be anything from "just" around 1 gig to somewhere around 3. My computer is nowhere near running out of memory at that point though.
Firefox "throws away" large images when you move to another tab and decodes it again when you return, which reduces memory usage from huge images. As others aren't seeing the same problem you report, try with a clean profile per the OP. It's likely an add-on you have installed that is causing the issue, or something else to do with your profile.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Alereon posted:

As others aren't seeing the same problem you report, try with a clean profile per the OP.

I quoted a poster who said he had the same issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Wheany posted:

I quoted a poster who said he had the same issue.
You quoted a poster who saw that behavior with over 100 open tabs, and I saw peak memory usage of ~700MB with a dozen 20MP images open. That's why we, including the poster you quoted, are telling you the problem is likely caused by an add-on you have installed, or another issue with your profile, and gave you a relatively simple procedure you can follow to confirm if this is the case.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Firefox: probably an add-on you installed

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

rarbatrol posted:

Firefox: probably an add-on you had to install because out of the box this is one weird rear end browser, and if you weren't going to use a bunch of addons, you'd just install Chrome.

Adjusted to match reality.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Oh well, I left Firefox running without extensions at home with maybe 30 tabs open as I left for work. I sure as hell am not going to use it without any extensions.

Moving on: When did the RSS feed icon return? Because I installed an extension that added it to the address field and when I disabled it, I noticed that I have a native RSS button one next to the menu button now. Or was it always there, just hidden somewhere? Because that's one extension I can completely delete then.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

xamphear posted:

Adjusted to match reality.

Because Chrome doesn't need any stinkin addons to gobble up all the memory :rimshot:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Has anyone's Firefox not been showing as having updates ready to download for their addons installed when there is indeed a newer version of the addon? Every few days I tend to go to the add-on page and do a manual 'Check for Updates' then it just tells me 'No Updates Found' so I do it in another few days, whatever, but I actually checked the addons website manually this time and noticed there was new versions I wasn't getting and that I was behind a version or two, having me to install it manually off their website again. These were the ones out of date apparently.

I only noticed this yesterday so I don't know if something is broke on my end for the updater, I guess I just need to wait and see if I get any more updates through the Firefox addons page before I call something broke.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Im_Special posted:

Has anyone's Firefox not been showing as having updates ready to download for their addons installed when there is indeed a newer version of the addon? Every few days I tend to go to the add-on page and do a manual 'Check for Updates' then it just tells me 'No Updates Found' so I do it in another few days, whatever, but I actually checked the addons website manually this time and noticed there was new versions I wasn't getting and that I was behind a version or two, having me to install it manually off their website again. These were the ones out of date apparently.

I only noticed this yesterday so I don't know if something is broke on my end for the updater, I guess I just need to wait and see if I get any more updates through the Firefox addons page before I call something broke.

Is it something to do with the add-ons not being set to auto upgrade?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Im_Special posted:

I had that problem when going through the proxy server at work but not at home.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

jink posted:

Is it something to do with the add-ons not being set to auto upgrade?
I've never had that Automatically option checked, I've always just done it manually with the top option.

Aleph Null posted:

I had that problem when going through the proxy server at work but not at home.
No proxies here, this is from home. If this is broke on my end it broke recently or it's exclusive to a few specific addons because Lastpass for example updated a few days ago on it's own.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Hey, that's happening to me as well for Firefox 24 ESR on Windows. A *whole* bunch of my add-ons were out of date.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Me too, thanks for the heads up!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Im_Special posted:

I've never had that Automatically option checked, I've always just done it manually with the top option.

Want to clarify something here.

Firefox won't automatically update addons unless they come from https://addons.mozilla.org/ Custom addons from a developer's direct site will not automatically update (since Firefox would have no clue how to check for these updates).

I am very wrong; Firefox can update from an addon based on it's Install Manifest :: Update URL.

jink fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 26, 2014

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jink posted:

Firefox won't automatically update addons unless they come from https://addons.mozilla.org/ Custom addons from a developer's direct site will not automatically update (since Firefox would have no clue how to check for these updates).

Please don't spread misinformation. In an extension's install manifest, you would specify an updateURL to do just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

jink posted:

All my addons except for Enhanced Steam came from addons.mozilla.org, and astral is also right in that it shouldn't matter either way. Anyway it seems like others in this thread are have the same problem so maybe it's just a bug on Mozilla's end, might be wise to manually check your installed addons to see if any are outdated. A quickish way to check is in Firefox's addon page right click the addon and go to 'About' then 'Visit Home Page' or whatever.