Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Diabolik900 posted:

Doesn't this describe pretty much every wrestling game before World Tour? The War Zone/Attitude devs even felt the need to put a cheat sheet in the pause menu, which I think is just about as clear a sign as you can get that the control scheme is flawed.

Naw. Besides a few WWF fighting games that came out in the mid 90s, no wrestling games used that system until Nitro. All the old Acclaim ones used a tug-of-war-style grappling system, and pretty much everything else used some kind of grappling system too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

All the old Acclaim ones used a tug-of-war-style grappling system

That sounds like the old LJN 16bit games. The Acclaim Warzone/Attitude had button combos, at least on the N64.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ZixTheYeti posted:

That sounds like the old LJN 16bit games. The Acclaim Warzone/Attitude had button combos, at least on the N64.

Warzone did on the Playstation, I remember only wanting to play Stone Cold because I had the combo for the stunner memorized.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

ZixTheYeti posted:

Those are the very games I'm talking about, my friend! Acclaim published those games under the LJN name to get around Nintendo's strict licensing regulations.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 5, 2014

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

He might have been cooling off at times, but it's crazy when you go back and watch old WCW shows to get the feeling that Goldberg was long-term killer over. The aftermath of the fingerpoke has the NWO hugging in the ring, grinning their heads off. Goldberg shows up, and the crowd goes mental! They want to see this big scary dude batter the middle-aged frat boys. Then he gets humiliated and you can almost hear the resulting :geno:. I can understand when those involved defend themselves by saying it wasn't that big a deal in killing WCW, but it's one of those moments that too clearly shows where WCW's priorities were.

It goes on for years. It's 2000, and Russo's in the ring with the New Blood, cutting some ridiculous promo using insider terms and in-jokes. The crowd get a little excited. Despite Goldberg being out with injury, they want the big scary dude to come down and wreck the villain's plans! Then he comes back and is turned heel because a "surprise" was promised, proceeds to cut bizarre "worked shoot" promos about how he doesn't want to be a heel and then DOESN'T FOLLOW THE SCRIPT!! Might have the order out here but still.

It's a little astounding how he managed to stay popular despite this nonsense and despite not always being on TV. Scott Hall seemed to get a similar reaction, but he at least had Nash in the later years to come out and say, "Guess who I just talked to???" to get "hey yo!" chants going.

My brother and I (aged eight and twelve respectively) were hype when that Goldberg advert played during Wrestlemania XIX. :colbert:

I too wanted to see Goldberg kick rear end all time. Those things you listed, I remember feeling so frustrated and angry as a fan back then, basically I felt cheated as a TV viewer. What I disliked most about Russo's work in WCW was not just the worked shoots, which were awful, but the blurred lines between heels and faces. I could't figure out who were the bad guys, the New Blood or the Millionaires Club? Everyone acted like a jerk, nobody was likeable anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro tonight is the GO HOME SHOW FOR HALLOWEEN HAVOC 97! Plus the Nitro before that one! That's right TWO NITROS! Imagine that.

While all the hype is gearing up for HALLOWEEN HAVOC with AGE IN A CAGE, DDP vs Savage and Eddy vs Rey (Plus Disco vs Jackie) a MAJOR STORYLINE will be blown off tonight! That's right tonight on Nitro a major happening will occur in the first episode! So make sure you tune in! What is it? I'm not telling you!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 7:30 for Cowboy Who? and maybe TNA after.

Goldberg will likely kick rear end on this show.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Nitro tonight is the GO HOME SHOW FOR HALLOWEEN HAVOC 97! Plus the Nitro before that one! That's right TWO NITROS! Imagine that.

While all the hype is gearing up for HALLOWEEN HAVOC with AGE IN A CAGE, DDP vs Savage and Eddy vs Rey (Plus Disco vs Jackie) a MAJOR STORYLINE will be blown off tonight! That's right tonight on Nitro a major happening will occur in the first episode! So make sure you tune in! What is it? I'm not telling you!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 7:30 for Cowboy Who? and maybe TNA after.

Goldberg will likely kick rear end on this show.

We're currently watching the Syxx's final Nitro match.

He's gonna get Steinerized.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
Anybody remember the "Steinerline" theme that was used for Rick and Scott back in the day? Am I misremembering or was that an incredibly corny theme that yelled "STEINERLIIINEEE!" numerous times? I'm at work and can't look it up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

D Lambent posted:

Anybody remember the "Steinerline" theme that was used for Rick and Scott back in the day? Am I misremembering or was that an incredibly corny theme that yelled "STEINERLIIINEEE!" numerous times? I'm at work and can't look it up.

Steinerized!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

D Lambent posted:

STEINERIZED?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBd5qAtY_9s

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

THATTTT'S IT! Yeah, the last time I heard it was around 1997, so I had a very vague idea of what it actually said.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there a reason Scott decided to get all roided out while Rick got fatter?

Also where the hell did Midajah come from? I remember her and a few other WCW valets like Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler coming from out of nowhere around 1999.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

1st AD posted:

Also where the hell did Midajah come from? I remember her and a few other WCW valets like Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler coming from out of nowhere around 1999.

Stacy Keibler started as a Nitro girl if I remember correctly. Then she teamed up with loving LODI AND LENNY LANE in Standards and Practices. Which was kinda like Right to Censor, if I'm not mistaken.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah I know that, I was wondering if they came out of the Power Plant or if WCW went out of their way looking for models, because IIRC none of them could wrestle and kind of burst onto the scene at the same time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2d78E5bIs

I can't help but laugh at this parody. Is Hoodslam worth watching?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it's not for everybody because it's all stupid and bad but it can be a lot of fun if you're into that kind of thing

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

drink lots before watching

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Forget Hoodslam, I have an important announcement all WCW fans must watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RXI6wRPQhA

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
When does Sid return from the hell that is up north?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

When does Sid return from the hell that is up north?

GAB '99.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rad R. posted:

What I disliked most about Russo's work in WCW was not just the worked shoots, which were awful, but the blurred lines between heels and faces. I could't figure out who were the bad guys, the New Blood or the Millionaires Club? Everyone acted like a jerk, nobody was likeable anymore.

People say this, but I dunno I thought it was pretty clear that the New Bloods were heels and the Millionaires Club were the faces.

The MC was full of all the old guys people loved, and the New Blood were the disrespectful youngsters trying to take the top spots through cheating and sneakiness rather than "earning it".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just got that.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

triplexpac posted:

People say this, but I dunno I thought it was pretty clear that the New Bloods were heels and the Millionaires Club were the faces.

The MC was full of all the old guys people loved, and the New Blood were the disrespectful youngsters trying to take the top spots through cheating and sneakiness rather than "earning it".

It's weird that they thought people would like a group named the Millionaire's club.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Von Linus posted:

It's weird that they thought people would like a group named the Millionaire's club.

Yeah I'm not going to say the name was a great idea, but it's also not like they were running around in solid gold suits throwing money at their enemies. It was just a name, I don't think they even had a tshirt.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

But I think it was a way to (badly attempt to) draw lines between smarks and marks, where the smarks would side with the younger guys who were sick of seeing the Nashs and the Hogans on top, and the non-smarks would side with their old favourites. The actions of the New Blood were heelish, but WCW fans were conditioned to cheer for heelishness for years with the NWO.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

But I think it was a way to (badly attempt to) draw lines between smarks and marks, where the smarks would side with the younger guys who were sick of seeing the Nashs and the Hogans on top, and the non-smarks would side with their old favourites.

The idea of somebody being paid thousands (if not millions, because WCW) of dollars to understand wrestling fans going "Smarks will cheer for Jeff Jarrett and David Flair over Ric Flair" is infinitely amusing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I was a teenager at the time and thought the New Blood was super cool, so I think I was 100% Vince Russo's target audience.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Forget Hoodslam, I have an important announcement all WCW fans must watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RXI6wRPQhA

I spotted Nitro Girl Spice. This is a thing I am interested in.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

1st AD posted:

Scott's always been a body guy while Rick was more focused as being the brawler and not into physique. The differences just became more pronounced over time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Great White Hope posted:

The idea of somebody being paid thousands (if not millions, because WCW) of dollars to understand wrestling fans going "Smarks will cheer for Jeff Jarrett and David Flair over Ric Flair" is infinitely amusing.
It's kind of amazing how many times WCW tried to kill Flair's heat, then bring him back on TV when they didn't know what else to do. They blew millions of dollars killing their most enduring star in his hometown.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Is there a particular reason they treated Flair like such poo poo when they weren't actively neglecting him, or was it just the general "WWF guys are better than our guys" attitude at its peak?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Is there a particular reason they treated Flair like such poo poo when they weren't actively neglecting him, or was it just the general "WWF guys are better than our guys" attitude at its peak?

The cheapest of heat.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

The cheapest of heat.

Plus the politics of Nash and Hogan, I'm sure. (I bet MRT has info here)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rodney the Piper posted:

Plus the politics of Nash and Hogan, I'm sure. (I bet MRT has info here)

There's probably a multitude of reasons. Nash and Hogan politicking a bit, Flair's age, the entire nWo/WCW dynamic, and Sting not wrestling for a year probably played into it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I thought Bischoff had something to do with it too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Yeah, Bischoff blew a gasket because Flair wasn't at a show since he was attending one of Reid's wrestling tournaments (that Flair requested time for months in advance), which later led to the famous "FIRE ME?! I'M ALREADY FIRED!" promo when Flair returned.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The way Bichoff tells it, while never disputing that Flair announced it months prior, he was sending a message to the locker room. There's some rear end covering and he probably did it because he was pissed off at that moment. It was the dumbest example to go after and made him look like a maniac instead of telling the locker room he was serious about no-showing.

Reid came in first place. :unsmith:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Bischoff fire Syxx to 'send a message to the locker room'? Waltman was off injured and I can't recall any reason being given for his firing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Say Nothing posted:

Didn't Bischoff fire Syxx to 'send a message to the locker room'? Waltman was off injured and I can't recall any reason being given for his firing.

Eric had a $3 Fedex coupon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

1st AD posted:

Yeah I know that, I was wondering if they came out of the Power Plant or if WCW went out of their way looking for models, because IIRC none of them could wrestle and kind of burst onto the scene at the same time.
WCW put out an ad. Midajah was a bodybuilder and model, as were the other four girls they brought in. One of them, Kim Kanner, quit after they wanted her to report to the Power Plant to wrestle.

Isn't that why Elizabeth ended up quitting?