Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

It's weird that despite being the most active poster by a fair bit

You can't prove that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just chill in the Trek thread for 6 months, fix you right up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

You can't prove that.

Well you have five pages of posts, bown has four and me division post and raditts have three apiece, and were probably top five posters itt right

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Manhattan: Let's kill off the only minority character in the second episode!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Manhattan: Let's kill off the only minority character in the second episode!

It's set in the '40's bro.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
four pages....I think I need to take a break maybe

e: mu zeta has 4 too thank god i'm not the only one

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PM me your posts and I'll post them for you Bown.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

four pages....I think I need to take a break maybe

e: mu zeta has 4 too thank god i'm not the only one

So what the top five posters are like what...25% of this thread?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fooz posted:

I was talking to a guy at work, and he said "I need to keep busy, there's not enough good tv not to!".

To which I replied "There's tons of great TV these days!"

He said: "My wife and I only watch True Blood, that's it."

So I just gave up and changed the subject.

I overheard 2 people in a bar talking about how great True Blood and The Following are and one told the other they have to see the amazing final season of Dexter.

They did like Hannibal though.

Then they talked about their Pokemon teams.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I was taking an international finance class last year and the professor was late so the kids got to talking. It turned out that literally every student in the 20 student class was watching Once Upon a Time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm watching The Killing season 4. Protagonist goes into the bathroom and grimly looks at the mirror. She then smashes the mirror in a rage. Now her reflection is all distorted and she looks like a monster, like she hardly recognizes what she's become. Also the murder suspect has amnesia and can't remember what happened that day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching The Killing season 4. Protagonist goes into the bathroom and grimly looks at the mirror. She then smashes the mirror in a rage. Now her reflection is all distorted and she looks like a monster, like she hardly recognizes what she's become. Also the murder suspect has amnesia and can't remember what happened that day.

That sounds awesome! The Killing started out kind of rubbish I thought but it sounds like maybe I should check it out?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Holy poo poo, when clicking on the number of replies in the forum index break? :cry:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Gotta love that fresh and exciting new spin they're putting on it now that they're on Netflix.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

I like that part in The Sopranos where Tony is riding his huge yacht and he hits a rowboat and knocks it over and it's like whoa it's just like how him being rich and powerful lets him gently caress over people without consequence!

Also that time in The Wire where they literally sit down and explain to the audience how they are just like chess pieces and the game is a metaphor for their lives. And in Breaking Bad when Mr. White is talking about how the guy who invented synthetic diamonds didn't get paid for it and hot drat the same thing happened to him!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I agree those scene are bad. Especially because a bunch of shows try to do the chess metaphor now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

I agree those scene are bad. Especially because a bunch of shows try to do the chess metaphor now.

Name three others.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bill and Ted

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

Name three others.

In The Cape the manipulative villain Peter Fleming... well he doesn't have a chess motif such as an overwhelming obsession with it. He compares real world actions to specific chess strategies, wears contact lenses that make his pupils look like chess pieces, and uses a holographic interface hidden under a chessboard that when activated arranges itself into a chessboard layout. And of course his supervillain name is Chess.

In Merlin King Alined (a one-shot villain) was seen demonstrating his secret plan with the pieces of a chess set (and throwing them when he was thwarted).

The Walking Dead:
As "Brian" teaches Megan chess in Live Bait, the lessons that you can lose all your pawns but win the war, and that victory is only ensured by capturing the king, are highly relevant. The white king even has a little eyepatch drawn on, and White moves first in chess.

Did you know there's an entire website devoted to pointing out tired metaphors/motifs in popular media?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Yes, and TVTropes is the worst place on the internet

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Skin Wars is on, and already I hate two of the contestants. I hate Dutch because he's a red-headed Guy Fieri, and I hate Gear for shopping exclusively in the Naruto section of Hot Topic. And for having a name like Gear.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like that part in The Sopranos where Tony is riding his huge yacht and he hits a rowboat and knocks it over and it's like whoa it's just like how him being rich and powerful lets him gently caress over people without consequence!

thats not what that scene was about

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Well you have five pages of posts, bown has four and me division post and raditts have three apiece, and were probably top five posters itt right

poo poo, I never realized I posted that much.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Psh, you guys post?! What losers :smug:

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Anyone want to bet on which episode of The Leftovers has a Leftover Return?

I bet it's the final minute of the final episode of S1, because without that hook, no one is wasting a loving moment on season 2.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DivisionPost posted:

Name three others.

Person of Interest :smug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Doesn't stop you from postin though

Someone get me some ice for this burn stat!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also that time in The Wire where they literally sit down and explain to the audience how they are just like chess pieces and the game is a metaphor for their lives. And in Breaking Bad when Mr. White is talking about how the guy who invented synthetic diamonds didn't get paid for it and hot drat the same thing happened to him!

I think the second two examples are a little better because it's the characters talking about their lives knowingly, albeit obliquely, rather than "the show" doing it. Like a character in a David vs. Goliath scenario saying something like "even a pawn can checkmate a king" vs. a character in a David vs. Goliath scenario and they say "well I'm going to try to beat the other guy now" then the camera pans over to a chess board where only a pawn and a king are left. It's characterization in addition to very basic, bland symbolism instead of just the show hitting you over the head while thinking it's being subtle.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Irish Joe posted:

In The Cape the manipulative villain Peter Fleming... well he doesn't have a chess motif such as an overwhelming obsession with it. He compares real world actions to specific chess strategies, wears contact lenses that make his pupils look like chess pieces, and uses a holographic interface hidden under a chessboard that when activated arranges itself into a chessboard layout. And of course his supervillain name is Chess.
And this is why The Cape was awesome.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I enjoyed the goofy premise of The Cape.

Summer Glau is the kiss of death to any television show. Do not allow her to be a co-star and/or a recurring character on your show no matter what, unless you enjoy cancellations.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed the goofy premise of The Cape.

Summer Glau is the kiss of death to any television show. Do not allow her to be a co-star and/or a recurring character on your show no matter what, unless you enjoy cancellations.
Arrow is still on and probably plans to continue.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sober posted:

Arrow is still on and probably plans to continue.

Never seen it, though I probably should. I guess that's the exception, then.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah at this point Arrow survived the Summer Glau kiss of death since it was renewed. Maybe the key is to kill off her character?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah at this point Arrow survived the Summer Glau kiss of death since it was renewed. Maybe the key is to kill off her character?

Apropos, how's Sequestered, the latest show she's in? It sounds a lot like Murder One, which I liked back in the day.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box A posted:

And this is why The Cape was awesome.

The Arrow is rightfully praised for its brisk pacing but the pilot to The Cape is so fast that it's practically a fever dream.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The main actress in the Killing looks sooo tired all the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's just an actress not wearing makeup. The series finale was awful too but it was directed well by Jonathan Demme. Not even he can save that shitheap.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For The Cape they really should have just given him a magic cape instead of the whole weird bit about how he just trained really hard.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Maybe its because Glau isn't a main character in Arrow? I think where her arc ended up was dumb anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Arrow is rightfully praised for its brisk pacing but the pilot to The Cape is so fast that it's practically a fever dream.

The Cape was loving dumb as hell but at least it was an interesting, self-aware kind of dumb, which is more than can be said about Heroes or any of its lovely me-too superhero contemporaries. I would rather have had six seasons and a movie of The Cape than one season of Agents of B.O.R.E.D. and God only knows how many seasons we'll be getting of that poo poo.

Also "Why do you always bother me while I'm drinkin'?!" is one of my favorite Keith David lines of all time, he did a prime scenery-chewing job in that show.

• Locked thread