Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It took me 5 looks to realize he got it almost all down the side as well. My mind had been excluding as a reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

xzzy posted:

Parents, only let your kids drive beaters.

Funny enough, someone pointed me to an article last week arguing that parents should not give their kids a beater because it is likely to lack modern safety features, which a teen will most likely require, and may save their life. It felt like it was sponsored by ford or something as a way to convince parents they need to buy little Johnnie a brand new 2014 sedan.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I got a brand new sedan... out of my own money and after driving an 18 year old truck for the first 5 years of my driving career. I wouldn't have had it any other way as I learned how not to drive with it because I was the person you shared a road with. It only recently came full circle when I got rear ended by another driver who was just starting her solo time driving.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Brigdh posted:

Funny enough, someone pointed me to an article last week arguing that parents should not give their kids a beater because it is likely to lack modern safety features, which a teen will most likely require, and may save their life. It felt like it was sponsored by ford or something as a way to convince parents they need to buy little Johnnie a brand new 2014 sedan.

Little Johnny is probably way more likely to die as a passenger in one of his buddies' beaters anyway, so pour that money into driving school for his friends and make him buy a car.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Brigdh posted:

Subaru had a bunch of those commercials, to the tone of a parent saying they bought a Subaru because it will be eventually passed on to their kids yadda yadda yadda.

My first car was a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim :getin:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

They almost got it parked within the lines. Then again the Charger next to it has done an awful job as well.

Seriously dude, the fuckin wheel broke off the car and they still parked better than charger retard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brigdh posted:

There's definitely some truth to it, a 2014 car is a lot more idiot proof than a 2000 car, and a 2000 car is a lot more idiot proof than a 1980 car. But on the other hand if the kid's virtually guaranteed to destroy it being out $3000 is a lot less painful than $30,000.

My solution would be the $3000 beater and spend whatever it costs to get them into a performance driving school, maybe to give them better reactions when it all goes to poo poo.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Willfrey posted:

My guess is the driver was drunk, hosed up his ride, parked it and left. He clipped it with his front tire, the front bumper looked untouched so he must of had it cranked over pretty far, in the wrong goddamn lane of a walmart parking lot.

Sadly, drunk driving is probably in the number 3 or 4 slot after texting, yelling at a carload of unruly children or the driver having a physical fight with their significant other/spouse while leaving the parking lot. Given it's at Walmart I would also believe fleeing in possession of <$30 in shoplifted merchandise.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Great Beer posted:

Or trying to not get pulled over in the worlds most obvious speed trap.

The slight slowdowns to 70 all surround major intersections with lights; there's an actual reason for their existence beyond being speed traps, and they are placed logically.

Being honest, I don't think we really have that many speed traps around here. Most reductions in speed have some sort of logic behind them. On the other hand, I can't for the life of me figure out why the speed limit on Glenmore Trail by Macleod stayed the same after they removed several sets of lights and engineered the gently caress out of it.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I saw a guy today with on a bike loaded with poo poo speeding/weaving in and out of lanes with only one arm on the handles while holding a pack with his other arm.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
Own an Infiniti with adaptive cruise and lane control?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY_zqEmKV1k

Skip to 1:27 for the :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I didn't see it but heard tale from coworkers of a dude on a Harley getting Hardee's and riding away with the bag in his right hand and the Coke in his left hand. Still trying to figure out the logistics of controlling a bike like that ten years later.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

mungtor posted:

Aren't they engineering those systems now so it detects if your hand aren't on the wheel? It'll give warnings then, I don't remember: I think start slowing down.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mungtor posted:

Wow.

I think we've reached the point where I have greater faith in a car's electronic brain (brought to you my the motor industry, which their 'great' reputation) than the average driver.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

mungtor posted:

Today i learned that according to youtube comments lane assist does not exist. This video was clearly faked using greenscreens and CGI.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Uthor posted:

Aren't they engineering those systems now so it detects if your hand aren't on the wheel? It'll give warnings then, I don't remember: I think start slowing down.

I think that after seeing a video like this, Infiniti is likely to engineer in some sort of safeguard to ensure people can't do this. I can't imagine what it'd do if it detected someone getting out of the driver's seat, though...typically if you're using CC you're on the highway, and it couldn't very well instruct the car to quickly brake to a dead stop...

Maybe they know that and that's why you CAN get out of the driver's seat while this driving aid is enabled.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally, a safe way to have sex in a car without stopping!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasn't there a video of a kid doing that in France recently, and he got hunted down by the police and arrested?

This guy is obviously marginally more intelligent for blurring out his face, but then he went and posted it on a youtube account and it's now getting spread all over the internet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The bizarre thing is, it isn't like the car can't tell he got out - doesn't the drivers seat have weight sensors for airbags too, or is that only the passenger seat?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would expect it's only the passenger seat, the occupancy sensor is probably the seat belt latch on the driver's side.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Look at this motherfucker parking directly in front of my driveway.

WHAT THE gently caress BRO. Luckily there was a space in front of him that was big enough to squeeze my jeep through. After contemplating putting nails under his tires I decided to just leave him a note letting him know that I was inconvenienced and that I think he's an rear end in a top hat.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Astonishing Wang posted:

WHAT THE gently caress BRO. Luckily there was a space in front of him that was big enough to squeeze my jeep through. After contemplating putting nails under his tires I decided to just leave him a note letting him know that I was inconvenienced and that I think he's an rear end in a top hat.
gently caress that, I would've called the cops/a tow company. Of course I drive a car that sometimes scrapes on speedbumps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most areas have laws about blocking driveways, you also could have called the police and if someone bothered to show up they'd get a ticket and potentially towed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Most areas have laws about blocking driveways, you also could have called the police and if someone bothered to show up they'd get a ticket and potentially towed.

In my town, they write you a ticket for blocking your own driveway.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would expect it's only the passenger seat, the occupancy sensor is probably the seat belt latch on the driver's side.

I don't really think there's any need for an occupancy sensor for the driver's side...if the car is in motion, the logic would be that someone is in the driver's seat driving the vehicle (video notwithstanding) and if a collision occurred there's no situation in which the driver's airbag shouldn't go off.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Cage posted:

gently caress that, I would've called the cops/a tow company. Of course I drive a car that sometimes scrapes on speedbumps.

xzzy posted:

I wasn't quite mad enough to cost some random rear end in a top hat $400+ to get his car back from a tow yard. Also I was on my way to work and didn't want to wait around. I probably could've just called it in and left but I didn't feel like dealing with it today, and I WAS able to get out. I just had to drive over the whole front lawn and over the curb between a couple of trees.

My note basically said if you do this again you're getting towed. I went too easy, but it's street sweeper day so maybe they can still get a ticket :shobon:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
The obvious answer is to buy your own rollback, winch his car up, and then drop it off somewhere random halfway across town.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They probably assume that if the car is driving along, then the driver's seat is going to be occupied.

It's not an unreasonable assumption, really.

EDIT: me type slow

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

iForge posted:

The obvious answer is to buy your own rollback, winch his car up, and then drop it off somewhere random halfway across town.

Set of gojacks would be cheaper.

Just roll his car into the middle of the nearest intersection and leave it there.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

That would be an automatic call the police/tow situation for me. I would take great pleasure in watching it get towed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

There's definitely some truth to it, a 2014 car is a lot more idiot proof than a 2000 car, and a 2000 car is a lot more idiot proof than a 1980 car. But on the other hand if the kid's virtually guaranteed to destroy it being out $3000 is a lot less painful than $30,000.

My solution would be the $3000 beater and spend whatever it costs to get them into a performance driving school, maybe to give them better reactions when it all goes to poo poo.

Honestly, if you shop carefully, a car with ESC and a bunch of airbags (and good crash test rating) is easily do-able for very little money. You can get a B5.5 passat for like nothing and they're very safe in a crash (and have optional ESC) with the added bonus that it will be broken all the time, so they won't be able top drive it. You can also get a reliable car that has all that stuff for like $5-8k.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

The Midniter posted:

I think that after seeing a video like this, Infiniti is likely to engineer in some sort of safeguard to ensure people can't do this. I can't imagine what it'd do if it detected someone getting out of the driver's seat, though...typically if you're using CC you're on the highway, and it couldn't very well instruct the car to quickly brake to a dead stop...

Maybe they know that and that's why you CAN get out of the driver's seat while this driving aid is enabled.

It already has a mechanism to detect when your hands are off the wheel. Its easily defeated by taping a beer can to the wheel.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Brigdh posted:

It already has a mechanism to detect when your hands are off the wheel. Its easily defeated by taping a beer can to the wheel.

Oh, that's why it says "no soda can required" in the video. I didn't get what it meant by that before. Obviously the detector isn't working / doesn't exist on that Infiniti.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'd have drug out my 4 ton floor jack, shoved it under the rear of that thing and heaved it's rear end out into the middle of the street.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I'd have drug out my 4 ton floor jack, shoved it under the rear of that thing and heaved it's rear end out into the middle of the street.

I'd just drag it with my pickup.

If i was in a good mood, i'd put the chain on something solid.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I feel like you're looking for trouble if you violently drag someones car into the middle of the street, even if they are parked illegally. I did have my tow strap with me, and the thought crossed my mind. For about a second I also thought about putting the fresh dog turd that I was carrying on their hood.

How do you even tow a car like that with a strap? I feel like the angle the strap would have to take would just snap through bumper covers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd go-jack it to another parking spot along the street.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd commit a freaking crime on that car (btw don't ever gently caress with a man's car), screw the cops!!!!!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

How do you even tow a car like that with a strap? I feel like the angle the strap would have to take would just snap through bumper covers.

My car has covers over threaded holes in the bumpers and a tow hook in the hatch that I can use if I need to tow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Depending on how much of a hurry I was in, that thing would either get towed, or I'd just jack up the back end and swing it out into the road like a door until I could get past. No vandalism, just get it out of the way. If it gets towed as a result... maybe he shouldn't have been an inconsiderate idiot.