Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm sure no-one cares thanks to Mario Kart, but, NA is getting Cybernator (SNES) on the Wii U VC tomorrow, a.k.a. the best side-scrolling mech game ever made (not that there's a whole lot of competition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm sure no-one cares thanks to Mario Kart, but, NA is getting Cybernator (SNES) on the Wii U VC tomorrow, a.k.a. the best side-scrolling mech game ever made (not that there's a whole lot of competition).

Are we getting a Megaman game this week?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Better than Metal Warriors or Metal Storm? That's a pretty bold statement to make.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Do not even ask posted:

Better than Metal Warriors or Metal Storm? That's a pretty bold statement to make.

And how could anyone forget Xardion??

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a Gamecom teaser for Affordable Space Adventure (Wii U), which you may remember from Treehouse Live at E3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEToqp9YLk

Do not even ask posted:

Metal Warriors is okay but it can't compete. Metal Storm is a great game but the mech could easily be replaced with your typical NES Stallonegger Gun Dude and it'd play exactly the same, so it's not much of a mech game in that sense.

Never heard of Xardion, gonna have to check that one out.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

cbirdsong posted:

8 does lack a proper Battle Mode.

I'd forgive them for this if they released Bowser's pimp-mobile from 3D World as DLC.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know what the story behind Metal Warriors is, but its clearly a shameless clone of the Assault Suits series that Cybernator and Target Earth (another dopeass mech game on the Genesis) are from. Cybernator controls so much better though, the level design is way more interesting, and the graphics and soundtrack blow Metal Warriors out of the water. Assault Suits Leynos 2 on the Saturn gives it a pretty good run for its money as best mech game ever though.

Only thing Metal Warriors has on it is getting out of your suit, and multiplayer.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

homeless snail posted:

Only thing Metal Warriors has on it is getting out of your suit, and multiplayer.

You are correct, the only thing Metal Warriors has on it is the kickass versus mode that makes it one of the best SNES multiplayer games :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The other best mech games are the Front Mission mech game for SFC (directed by the Cybernator guy!) and Gunhound EX, a Japanese indie game for PSP/PC by a studio that's now remaking Leynos/Target Earth for PS4.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

The other best mech games are the Front Mission mech game for SFC (directed by the Cybernator guy!)
Front Mission Gun Hazard also has the benefit of being a Front Mission game, and possibly the only good non-numbered one. (Alternative's goofy sense of humor notwithstanding)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 7):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Toki Tori 2+ (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.00 for owners of EDGE, RUSH and Toki Tori
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mach Rider (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (GBA) - €6.99 / £6/29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Baseball (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 14
    Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 14
    Golf (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 14
    Kid Icarus (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 14
    Mario Bros. (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 14
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 14
    Tennis (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 14
    Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 14
    TNT Racers Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 14
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U) - €6.79 / £5.49 until August 21
    Blok Drop U (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 21
    Disney Planes (Wii U) - €19.99 / £17.49 until August 21
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €0.49 / £0.44 for owners of Unepic until August 21
    Unepic (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £7/64 for owners of Abyss until August 21

3DS eSHOP
    Rabi Laby 3 - €4.99 / £4.49
    Parking Star 3D (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man II (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Xtreme Sports (Game Boy Color) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - €19.99 / £19.99 until August 14
    Disney Planes (3DS) - €14.99 / £13.49 until August 21
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until August 21
    Rage of the Gladiator 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until August 28

NA update (week of August 7):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Jett Tailfin - $?
    SHUT THE BOX - $0.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Kart (SNES) - $7.99
    Cybernator (SNES) - $7.99
    Mega Man 5 (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Internal Invasion (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until August 8
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $7.99 until August 14

3DS eSHOP
    Steel Diver: Sub Wars (update)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mysterious Murasame Castle (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Baseball (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until September 7
    Dr. Mario Express (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Excitebike (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Mario Golf (3DS VC) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Puzzle League Express (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Starfox 64 (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until September 7
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until September 7
    Vegas Stakes (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until September 7

(there's some shovelware listed for sale on the NA 3DS eShop but NOA doesn't list the sales prices and I can't be bothered tracking 'em down.)

This week has been uncharacteristically good for the VC: a mix of well-known and obscure stuff, including the American debut of Mysterious Murasame Castle, and almost none of it sucks!

NOA also listed dates for some upcoming Wii U VC games: Double Dragon 2 (NES) will be out next week, and Life Force (NES) will be out the week after.

The PAL Toki Tori 2+ sale is actually a permanent promotion: if you own Toki Tori, EDGE and RUSH (2EUR each) you can get Toki Tori 2+ for 6EUR, down from 15EUR.

Scram Kitty is one of the better Wii U exclusives and it's getting an update/rebalance soon to address user feedback, so you might wanna check that out while it's on sale.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I used to rent a mech side scroller when I was little. I don't remember if it was Metal Warriors or Cybernator, they look too much alike and it it's been at least 17 years since I've played it.

There are so many SNES games I want on my Wii U now but my backlog doesn't justify spending $8/game for a bunch if old games. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The whole Assault Suit Valken series is awesome. Well, except the one game where they turned it into Front Mission.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Megaman 5? Eh, that and 6 are easily the weakest of the NES games. I want X3 but knowing them it'll be the last game this month.

Nice to see we're getting more than one game a week this month.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Megaman 5? Eh, that and 6 are easily the weakest of the NES games. I want X3 but knowing them it'll be the last game this month.

Actually, I think X3 can't be ported to the Virtual Console due to the chip they used to enhance the graphics. The PS1 version is what was used for the Mega Man X collections.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, I think X3 can't be ported to the Virtual Console due to the chip they used to enhance the graphics. The PS1 version is what was used for the Mega Man X collections.

X3 uses the exact same chip as X2, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. They're both Cx4 if I remember right.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vegastar posted:

X3 uses the exact same chip as X2, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. They're both Cx4 if I remember right.

Correct. In fact, IIRC someone hacked the Mega Man X2 channel and swapped it with the X3 ROM and the game worked fine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alrighty then. I just remember someone saying that was the reason X3 had been unavailable.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The only Megaman X game I've ever played is Megaman X, which I really enjoyed, but all I hear is varying degrees of dissent and complaint about its sequels. I assume that Megaman X is considered the best of that franchise, but is there any consensus on where to go next?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

The only Megaman X game I've ever played is Megaman X, which I really enjoyed, but all I hear is varying degrees of dissent and complaint about its sequels. I assume that Megaman X is considered the best of that franchise, but is there any consensus on where to go next?

Just keep replaying Megaman X because it's light years ahead of the other games. It's a perfect video game and playing the sequels will only make you wish they were as good as X.

I should say that they're not bad games, among the other X titles I prefer X2 - X3, but I've played them all through only once and I've played X probably 100 times. If you want to play them, I'd suggest going in chronological order and stopping when you get to the heavily anime-influenced X games. I remember not enjoying those nearly as much as the ones in the style of X1.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

X2-4 are all good, but mostly considered to be not as good as X1. X5-X7 are increasingly bad, and X8 is better than the games right before it, but still has problems.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 7, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like X2, X4, and X8 a lot. X5-X7 are a cesspit of hatred and lies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Flame Hyenard :laffo:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

alcharagia posted:

I like X2, X4, and X8 a lot. X5-X7 are a cesspit of hatred and lies.

X5 is fine and I enjoyed X6, though that might have been the rocking soundtrack instead of the actual game.

X7 I can respect for trying something different even if it didn't work. X8's just not very fun though.

Random Stranger posted:

Capcom already announced it back in late June and its scheduled for release this month.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't forget Mega Man X turn based RPG!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

X5 is The Worst Megaman Game because it doesn't even have the decency to be interestingly bad, it's just so goddamn boring.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Go! Go! Kokopolo, one of the few DSiWare-exclusive games that doesn't suck, is being delisted at the end of the month, so if you ever had any interest in playing it you'd better grab it now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So what the hell is Cybernator, exactly? Platformer, RPG, Shmup?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artix posted:

Side scrolling action game. It has platformer and shooter elements.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Artix posted:

Action platformer kind of like a slower paced Contra. Except you're driving a giant robot and you upgrade your weapons as you go through the game. You can shoot in any direction and you have jets that let you extend your jump a bit. There's also shoot-'em-up stages.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

alcharagia posted:

X5 is The Worst Megaman Game because it doesn't even have the decency to be interestingly bad, it's just so goddamn boring.

The music was good... :smith: I liked the armors too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The music was good... :smith: I liked the armors too.

The Gaea Armor was a useless piece of poo poo, true fact. Falcon Armor was in fact pretty sweet, but every X game has a few sweet things in it. X6 let you be a Literal Ninja. Didn't make that game good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The 13th (and probably last) Sega 3D game has been announced: 3D Thunder Blade! I'm not sure anyone but that one dude from M2 actually wanted Thunder Blade, but I'm not complaining. Out August 20 in Japan, TBA everywhere else.

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/tb/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I just got a reminder e-mail to select a Platinum reward, and is this right that there's no physical reward this time and just downloadables? :what:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

The 13th (and probably last) Sega 3D game has been announced: 3D Thunder Blade! I'm not sure anyone but that one dude from M2 actually wanted Thunder Blade, but I'm not complaining. Out August 20 in Japan, TBA everywhere else.

I'm not sure why you think this will be the last game, there's clearly space for 2 more games on the site.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

duckfarts posted:

I just got a reminder e-mail to select a Platinum reward, and is this right that there's no physical reward this time and just downloadables? :what:

Yup, especially if you have Platinum, its a pretty sweet selection.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Why 'probably last'? They not selling well or something?

If they don't at least get to Streets of Rage 2 that'll really suck. :mad:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Original_Z posted:

I'm not sure why you think this will be the last game, there's clearly space for 2 more games on the site.

They said they were winding up in one of the Japanese developer interviews.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's a huge bummer that we got a whole lot of niche stuff I don't care about, but no Sonic 2 or 3.

On the other hand, if they are finishing up work on Sega stuff, means they'd have more hireable resources for Nintendo to do poo poo with. Imagine if Nintendo were intelligent enough to sit back and look at all the praise M2 got over the Sega 3D Classics and decided to let them tackle anything they wanted Nintendo wise, within reason.

I mean, if Nintendo had actually let the 3D Classics be more NES stuff people actually wanted, chances are they would of sold better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Instead we got Urban Champion. :what: