Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Even though James Corden is a very out of left field choice, there was never a chance Norm was included in any of serious discussions past day 1. We're talking about a guy whose ESPYs monologue was so brutally funny (read: offensive) to the athletes that people still talk about it to this day. I just ordered Poking A Dead Frog today and the free kindle preview gave me this gem from Jim Downey, who was fired along with Norm:

Man, Norm is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'll never understand why Comedy Central had The Sports Show debut around the same time as The Onion's Sportsdome. That was at the tail-end of their deserved reputation for cancelling shows after one season. Both were doomed to fail. Sorry to Norm, but SportsDome was loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvJ90_eZErw

God damnit, yes it was. SportsDome was probably the funniest show I've ever watched in my loving life and I don't give a poo poo about sports.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

God damnit, yes it was. SportsDome was probably the funniest show I've ever watched in my loving life and I don't give a poo poo about sports.

It's even better if you're a sports-obsessed monster like me who regularly watched the same SportsCenter three times in a row in college with my roommates instead of going to sleep. The graphics and tone for the Coke Zero Steam Room is nearly identical to the Coors Light Cold Hard Facts that SC did for years.

"these guys are gonna smell like steam for days!"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Sportsdome was the superior of the two excellent & simultaneous Onion TV offerings, and its cancellation should've resulted in merciless executions. Disgusting.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Sportsdome was the superior of the two excellent & simultaneous Onion TV offerings, and its cancellation should've resulted in merciless executions. Disgusting.

Wait the onion had another show on at the same time?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah, The Onion News Network. It had a second season on IFC and was a good show but SportsDome was so funny it didn't feel like it even belonged on this world.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah, The Onion News Network. It had a second season on IFC and was a good show but SportsDome was so funny it didn't feel like it even belonged on this world.

drat. Comedy Central is cool. I'd way rather watch broad city or whatever instead of Norm Sports or Sportsdome.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They seem to be making better decisions now I guess. Andy Daly's show was good at least.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Other than canning Jeselnik's show, which loving ruled, they've been doing good from a management standpoint. Andy Daly's show was great, Nathan For You as well, Schumer and Kroll's shows are huge successes for them (and rule so goddamn hard), and letting Tosh exist long enough that his audience blew the gently caress up let them use his show as a ratings tentpole to launch other poo poo. Just put something behind Tosh and then see if it'll succeed later without it. Which, sadly, is how Jeselnik Offensive loving died, but you can't win 'em all. I'm just curious what CC will be once The Daily Show no longer exists, whenever it ends up dying. It's easily been their #1 property since around 2004, since it runs 4 nights a week instead of just one.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Daily Show is a Peabody winning institution. They're not going to cancel it once Stewart retires. The worst kept secret in Hollywood was that John Oliver was to take over because Stewart might direct fulltime, but then HBO offered him a poo poo more money than CC could.

I can still see Oliver returning once their respective contracts run out. Who wants to be second fiddle to Bill Maher's circle jerk devoid-of-actual-jokes clap fest?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The guy who directed Semi-Pro became the president of content development and original programming at Comedy Central. That's why Andy Daly got a show and is why Comedy Central is really funny now

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
http://sfy.co/hpMm

Norm retelling a story about his first encounter with Robin Williams, just amazing and such a perfect example of Robin told through Norm's usually cynical eyes.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for sharing that.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For your pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IMdOguZaU

It's two hours of the jokes segment.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Does anyone know what he's up to currently?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Betting on sports of course. Since it's getting too cold for golf, now it's football nonsense. Ever since I learned he lived alone in an apartment, I've felt bad for him.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Ariza posted:

Betting on sports of course. Since it's getting too cold for golf, now it's football nonsense. Ever since I learned he lived alone in an apartment, I've felt bad for him.

It's a 1.8 million dollar apartment to be fair though.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Odddzy posted:

Live tweeting sporting events like a robot. Literally tweeting nothing but "Manning completes the 11 yard pass. First down, Broncos." For five hours straight.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Live tweeting sporting events like a robot. Literally tweeting nothing but "Manning completes the 11 yard pass. First down, Broncos." For five hours straight.

And he swears he doesn't drink?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Uh, he is married and has a kid and tours stand up when he wants. Dude is rich and likes to stay home and watch sports. Why do you feel bad for him?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Uh, he is married and has a kid and tours stand up when he wants. Dude is rich and likes to stay home and watch sports. Why do you feel bad for him?

He remarried? His first divorce was a thing back in the nineties.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Isn't he working on a memoir as well? Or is he just joking whenever he brings that up?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Odddzy posted:

He remarried? His first divorce was a thing back in the nineties.

My bad. I didn't know he was divorced. When you say it was a thing, is there a story to that?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Isn't he working on a memoir as well? Or is he just joking whenever he brings that up?

As far as I can tell he is serious as he mentioned a few times about how hard it was to write it himself rather than use a ghostwriter if I remember correctly. And it wasn't funny enough to be a joke, so I'm guessing it was just true.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

rear end Catchcum posted:

My bad. I didn't know he was divorced. When you say it was a thing, is there a story to that?

Howard stern tried talking about it a lot when he was somewhat of a regular guest and Norm didn't want to talk about it. It seems like he was perhaps fooling around or something but that was years ago.

They go on the subject a little in the old clips you can find on the internet, they're pretty funny too!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Norm is a bizarrely comedy-minded guy. You only can really get an indication of his life through the WTF interview with him. Which was AMAZING.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Apoplexy posted:

Norm is a bizarrely comedy-minded guy. You only can really get an indication of his life through the WTF interview with him. Which was AMAZING.

Norm's comedy knowledge is amazing. I swear that he knows every act by every comedian that ever lived. He should write a book about the history of comedy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The Human Crouton posted:

Norm's comedy knowledge is amazing. I swear that he knows every act by every comedian that ever lived. He should write a book about the history of comedy.

Oh, there's also that, but I meant more that he rarely says something serious when he can do a bit.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Odddzy posted:

Howard stern tried talking about it a lot when he was somewhat of a regular guest and Norm didn't want to talk about it. It seems like he was perhaps fooling around or something but that was years ago.

Is Norm the guy who has the story about loving his friends wife in the rear end while her husband was mowing the lawn and they were watching him from the upstairs window to make sure he didnt come inside mid rear end-loving or is that Kevin Nealon? I get my weekend updaters confused.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That's our Norm! Yeah, he was on Adam Carolla's radio show and that's one of his stories that came out. So of course he doesn't loving tell it everywhere, because THAT would be funny yet personal. Damnit, Norm, you are gold. QUIT HOLDING BACK!!!

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

That's our Norm! Yeah, he was on Adam Carolla's radio show and that's one of his stories that came out. So of course he doesn't loving tell it everywhere, because THAT would be funny yet personal. Damnit, Norm, you are gold. QUIT HOLDING BACK!!!

On the one hand, I really want here this story. On the other hand, I really don't want to have to search through endless terrible Adam Carolla material to find it. Don't suppose you'd have a link to the interview?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
LUCKILY, he was only on the show a few times. He's a hard guest to lock down, you see. While wanted, he frequently just slept right through calling in or otherwise hosed off from an appearance. Again: Norm rules.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Basically a good friend of his would invite Norm over and while the friend was outside lawnmowing Norm would gently caress the wife of the dude in the rear end. It really isn't anything more than that. My personal theory is that it could be Roseanne.

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

On the one hand, I really want here this story. On the other hand, I really don't want to have to search through endless terrible Adam Carolla material to find it. Don't suppose you'd have a link to the interview?

http://youtu.be/55nibYKeTS8?t=6m17s

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Looks like Norm is lobbying for the Q radio show on Twitter. I'd be really pumped for that to happen but I'm pretty sure there aren't any chances of it really happening.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Norm lobbying for jobs bums me out

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Odddzy posted:

My personal theory is that it could be Roseanne.

There's a mental image that I could have went a lifetime without having. Thanks.:argh:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm serious too, I mean, he has been asked by howard stern or someone (I forget) about her and he kept mum on the whole subject. The kiss on the lips at the end of the podcast she was a guest on also speaks for itself.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Odddzy posted:

Looks like Norm is lobbying for the Q radio show on Twitter. I'd be really pumped for that to happen but I'm pretty sure there aren't any chances of it really happening.

There's no way he's being serious, Q is just a hot topic on twitter he's attaching himself to.

How do I know? His brother Neil MacDonald has been a journalist at the CBC for 20+ years and carries considerable weight there. If Norm really wanted the show, he'd be going through back channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

There's no way he's being serious, Q is just a hot topic on twitter he's attaching himself to.

How do I know? His brother Neil MacDonald has been a journalist at the CBC for 20+ years and carries considerable weight there. If Norm really wanted the show, he'd be going through back channels.

yeah, I thought about that, the brother does have some pull but lobbying on his end ''publicly'' can't hurt. At worst it's gonna make him trend a bit on twitter.

• Locked thread