Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cataphract posted:

why do all those drop pods have harnesses?

Dreads gotta put their beer somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Lego should just make their own wargame.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Lego should just make their own wargame.

While it's not an official Lego product, Mobile Frame Zero is about as slick of a product as I've ever seen that turns Lego into wargaming minis. I've only perused the ruleset but it seems to use some clever standardization of components so that you can design a mech that is styled however you desire but the key elements that relate to stats will be clear to your opponent.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Scut posted:

While it's not an official Lego product, Mobile Frame Zero is about as slick of a product as I've ever seen that turns Lego into wargaming minis. I've only perused the ruleset but it seems to use some clever standardization of components so that you can design a mech that is styled however you desire but the key elements that relate to stats will be clear to your opponent.

This looks hilarious. May give it a shot.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Oooh we can get MURDERCLAW take my thousand dollars for 7 models please.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The sound of 40k players' families suddenly losing the rationalization that "at least it's cheaper than heroin."

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

do people actually buy that poo poo? does anyone know anyone that owns one of those $1000 sets. I mean, yeah, sure, I've met plenty of people that have spent over $1000 on this game, but who the hell buys 7 murderbots and 7 droppods all at once? what the hell are they doing with them?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I knew a kid whose dad bought him the $800 Thunderhawk back when it was a limited edition metal kit that came in a wooden box with brass rods to assemble it.

He paid a guy to build it for him, and someone else to paint it.

Edit: And that was 1990's dollars so it'd be like $1200 in today's GW money.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Scut posted:

Ooh, thanks for this! I am a big fan of stuff like Robotech and so forth, so I'll definitely give this a peek. :)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

do people actually buy that poo poo? does anyone know anyone that owns one of those $1000 sets. I mean, yeah, sure, I've met plenty of people that have spent over $1000 on this game, but who the hell buys 7 murderbots and 7 droppods all at once? what the hell are they doing with them?

A long time ago we (edit: the 40k thread) got a really loving creepy story from somebody's LGS about a guy who thought he could make a living as a painter, and kept coming into the store to sell his painted minis. One day he was there with his daughter and wife and was checking to see if something sold, and the daughter asked 'does this mean we can have juice?'

I'm not saying GW is bankrupting fathers and preventing children from having enough food to eat. What I am saying is that the SA goons love to judge someone in trouble.

Anyway, my point is, if I owned an original all-lead thunderhawk, i'd wear it as a hat. Where's your gw pride?!

Roll to see if you charge that next purchase across the rough terrain of good sense.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How does mobile frame zero play?

do they give you plans to build the models or are you building whatever you want and getting charged against the points cap with each block?

They seem to be melding the game with a BFG style space combat module so i'm down to raid my old legos from my mom's house.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
You can download the rules for Mobile Frame Zero free off the website, but as my memory serves; units are built with a kind of points system where you can spend those points in a mostly free manner. This means you can have something cheap with little armour and few weapons, or expensive with guns-a-plenty. Because every system is literally modeled on the figure, it's pretty much a true WYSIWYG design philosophy. There are sample mech designs that the game creators show you how to build, but if you search blogs and flickr for Mobile Frame Zero you'll find all sorts of clever original designs people have made that are also perfectly game-legal.

The way I understand it, as long as your opponent understands that "this widget is a cannon, that greeble is a missile, and these blocks are shields..." you can literally make your mech look however you please.

Note, I haven't ever played a game of MFZ, but the concept feels very democratic and modern, and I love seeing the designs people come up with. I just wish Lego had a parts retail system that was also forward thinking, because I'd love to build some of this micro-scale stuff just as a hobby.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
All 3 of the major LEGO based games (MFZ/Mechaton, Brikwars, Steve Jackson's Pirate Game) are pretty fun.

Scut posted:

I just wish Lego had a parts retail system that was also forward thinking, because I'd love to build some of this micro-scale stuff just as a hobby.

http://www.bricklink.com/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I backed Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit on Kickstarter because it was lego spaceships which are :krad:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Calico Noose posted:

Oooh we can get MURDERCLAW take my thousand dollars for 7 models please.

Those are Aussie prices, of course. $640 US for 14 models. Average $45 per model. Drop pods sell for $37 retail. Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnoughts sell for $54 for some reason. No one anywhere can name that reason.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

I was unaware every army in 40k now had to summon Daemons?

Just look at this poo poo. Jesus...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fix posted:

Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnoughts sell for $54 for some reason. No one anywhere can name that reason.

Well, you see, the intrinsic worth of mass-produced injection molded plastic

something something jewel-like objects of wonder

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I don't understand why the new space wolf dread isn't the same price as the Blood Angel Furioso. Same amount of parts. But well, GW.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

The problem with the whole 'write rules to be able to sell more models -> sell more models' is one of those things that once you've realised you're being manipulated in that way, you can't un-realise it and it turns you into a gigantic cynical bastard. Oh to be innocent and naive again.

serious gaylord posted:

I don't understand why the new space wolf dread isn't the same price as the Blood Angel Furioso. Same amount of parts. But well, GW.

They've started including a cocaine tax, the drug habit that leads to those awful '80s cartoon exta' sculpts has to be a pretty expensive one I imagine.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

enri posted:

The problem with the whole 'write rules to be able to sell more models -> sell more models' is one of those things that once you've realised you're being manipulated in that way, you can't un-realise it and it turns you into a gigantic cynical bastard. Oh to be innocent and naive again.

They've started including a cocaine tax, the drug habit that leads to those awful '80s cartoon exta' sculpts has to be a pretty expensive one I imagine.

All the rules are written to sell more models though. Hell, they should be. Rules for flyers were made to sell Flyers, which is fine. Flyers are alright.

But when you start writing rules intended to move more models with no consideration for the game itself, the narrative they've built, or balance, then it's a problem. That's when you see Imperial psykers summoning daemons, no real restrictions on allies (or allies to begin with, though I see the appeal of the 6th ed matrix and it has led to some cool army concepts), and unbound lists (why have 3 dreadnoughts when you can have 7?).

Fix posted:

Those are Aussie prices, of course. $640 US for 14 models. Average $45 per model. Drop pods sell for $37 retail. Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnoughts sell for $54 for some reason. No one anywhere can name that reason.

Hm... Dreadnoughts are $54, Drop pods are $37.25... that means... Holy poo poo! Are you telling me that if I drop the small sum of $638.75 to buy those 14 models from the manufacturer right now I can save $0 on my order? SIGN ME THE gently caress UP

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hm... Dreadnoughts are $54, Drop pods are $37.25... that means... Holy poo poo! Are you telling me that if I drop the small sum of $638.75 to buy those 14 models from the manufacturer right now I can save $0 on my order? SIGN ME THE gently caress UP

Wonder if it comes in a plain white box?...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

A long time ago we (edit: the 40k thread) got a really loving creepy story from somebody's LGS about a guy who thought he could make a living as a painter, and kept coming into the store to sell his painted minis. One day he was there with his daughter and wife and was checking to see if something sold, and the daughter asked 'does this mean we can have juice?'

I'm not saying GW is bankrupting fathers and preventing children from having enough food to eat. What I am saying is that the SA goons love to judge someone in trouble.

Anyway, my point is, if I owned an original all-lead thunderhawk, i'd wear it as a hat. Where's your gw pride?!

Roll to see if you charge that next purchase across the rough terrain of good sense.

That was tagdh's story. The guy was a flavor of the month player, not a commission painter. He would buy a gently caress ton of the latest, most powerful army and then sell it weeks later as a commission sale at the FLGS and lose a bundle, so he could get the new, new OP army. He wasn't in trouble, he was an rear end in a top hat who put his hobby before his family.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Moola posted:

Just look at this poo poo. Jesus...

Well, he is right. People often forget the Tyranid clause in the core 40k rules.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Well, he is right. People often forget the Tyranid clause in the core 40k rules.

I don't think anyone is really bothered by that clause*
Also, Why have I not noticed this thread until now? 29th June, 2015 because the end of the Financial year sounds like the right sort of time for GW to collapse.

*except Tyranids

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Technically it's a phrase, not a clause.

:goonsay:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Tyranid Clause?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ShineDog posted:

Tyranid Clause?

Gives presents to all the good little termagaunts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheChirurgeon posted:

All the rules are written to sell more models though. Hell, they should be. Rules for flyers were made to sell Flyers, which is fine. Flyers are alright.

But when you start writing rules intended to move more models with no consideration for the game itself, the narrative they've built, or balance, then it's a problem. That's when you see Imperial psykers summoning daemons, no real restrictions on allies (or allies to begin with, though I see the appeal of the 6th ed matrix and it has led to some cool army concepts), and unbound lists (why have 3 dreadnoughts when you can have 7?).

Yea like, I know when Warmachine releases a new book that JUST HAPPENS to have a lot of cool models, they want me to go 'oooh shiny' and buy them, but I also know that most of the time those models are fairly decently thought out, fit the theme of the book, usually cover some gaps in the army they go with, and generally feel like they have some purpose other than only taking my money from me.

With Warhammer I couldn't see a reason behind a lot of things other than 'gently caress you, pay me' and I just can't keep giving them hundreds of dollars because of that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea like, I know when Warmachine releases a new book that JUST HAPPENS to have a lot of cool models, they want me to go 'oooh shiny' and buy them, but I also know that most of the time those models are fairly decently thought out, fit the theme of the book, usually cover some gaps in the army they go with, and generally feel like they have some purpose other than only taking my money from me.

With Warhammer I couldn't see a reason behind a lot of things other than 'gently caress you, pay me' and I just can't keep giving them hundreds of dollars because of that.

For me these changes erode the mechanical and thematic differences between factions, and make the game a shittier game. Daemons aren't as cool if every army with a psyker can summon them. You don't have to consider your faction's mechanical strengths and weaknesses if you can just ally in forces that completely compensate for those weaknesses. You don't have to worry about making a meaningful decision between heavy support choices--just put all of them on the table!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

ShineDog posted:

Tyranid Clause?

fool_of_sound posted:

Gives presents to all the good little termagaunts.

Space Wolves did it first :colbert:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Dear Santa, for Christmas this year I'd like a picture of dear emperor, the same as every year.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

petrol blue posted:

Dear Santa, for Christmas this year I'd like a picture of dear emperor, the same as every year.

"WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT SANTA?!" And then, petrol blue's planet got the greatest gift of all, EXTERMINATUS.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

petrol blue posted:

An entity that doesn't obey the laws of physics and will grant you your heart's desire in exchange for following its rules? Sounds like a Chaos god to me :colbert:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The Lord of Man really did hear our prayers for warmth!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

All 3 of the major LEGO based games (MFZ/Mechaton, Brikwars, Steve Jackson's Pirate Game) are pretty fun.

http://www.bricklink.com/

There's also Brickquest for that HeroQuest/WHQ itch! It's especially cool, since you actually use legos to track health/loot/etc :haw:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Despite being a bit of a fan of the Warhammer universe through the video games, some comics and tabletop RPGs, I really know nothing about the mini games. Despite not really being interested in changing that, I am curious, is there a way to obtain minis other than through Games Workshop? I've thought about picking up some Guardsmen for Only War games or something like that, but I don't want to pay the absolutely goofy prices GW charges.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
eBay for second hand, or recasters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

And for Guardsman you have a wealth of alternatives from other companies, because guys in flack jackets with rifles is as generic as it gets.

Mantic Corporation
Dreamforge Eisenkern Stormtroopers
Victoria Guard
Wargames Factory Shock Troops
Puppetswar Troopers

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

And for Guardsman you have a wealth of alternatives from other companies, because guys in flack jackets with rifles is as generic as it gets.

Mantic Corporation
Dreamforge Eisenkern Stormtroopers
Victoria Guard
Wargames Factory Shock Troops
Puppetswar Troopers

I'm surprised that over half of these options are actually more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

I'm surprised that over half of these options are actually more expensive.

Ummm they're not?

The only ones that are more expensive are the Victoria guard and Puppetswar, which are both resin. Savings might not be great on all of them, but there's only two which are more expensive.

• Locked thread