Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Are there any other/better smart device gaming-based podcasts than Pocket Gamer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Mr Scumbag posted:

Not that many people here will care, but it looks like Garnett Lee's new podcast is pretty much dead after only seven episodes. Nothing official, but I've seen enough of these things just peter out for it to stink of no interest on the podcaster's part.

I care, that pumps me full of delicious schadenfreude. The worst podcaster.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SoulChicken posted:

I care, that pumps me full of delicious schadenfreude. The worst podcaster.
Throw Garnett Lee and Leo Laporte in a hole (and then fill it in with concrete.)

The worst podcasters.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
For those of you who haven't played Velvet Sundown (mentioned on Idle Thumbs and Giant Bomb recently) you really must. It is the best and worst thing. 20 minutes in I was tazered, solicited and offered drugs.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you were a true gamer, you would've bought or sold a small child. Possibly both in the same session.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The new Watch Out for Fireballs! about Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is out. We like the game a whole, whole lot.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/79

Up next we've got a two parter about Suikoden II, then a split EP about Contra and Little Nemo, and an episode about Half-Life.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Ulta posted:

For those of you who haven't played Velvet Sundown (mentioned on Idle Thumbs and Giant Bomb recently) you really must. It is the best and worst thing. 20 minutes in I was tazered, solicited and offered drugs.

It was the worst for me. I tried it out with my gf and half of our players went afk almost immediately and the other two wouldn't let us join a conversation while they talked about boning I think? I don't think there is anything you can do if the players don't accept you into conversations. Also, no robovoices :(

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I would have talked about it on this week's The Level, if we recorded one, but Velvet Sundown is soooo dependent on the people you're playing with. I wish there was a way, in some kind of premium feature, to hand pick people for a private game. Maybe that feature exists, and I just didn't spot it. When you play with random people, you have a higher chance of being made fun of for speaking in complete sentences.

It's a game that requires several strangers to completely buy into helping maintain the illusion. A few of my sessions just boiled down to people mechanically and bluntly trying to trip all of the flags for their stories.

I guess it's my problem for wanting to do something as dorky as online interactive improv spy theater.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Throw Garnett Lee and Leo Laporte in a hole (and then fill it in with concrete.)

The worst podcasters.
What exactly is bad about Laporte? I know someone online was complaining about him a while back but I forgot why.

edit: https://twitter.com/LeoLaporteSucks :stare: Oh, uh, okay...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zeether posted:

What exactly is bad about Laporte? I know someone online was complaining about him a while back but I forgot why.

I don't know what most of the stuff on that twitter feed is about (most of that twitter feed seems at a glance to be pretty obscure, or stuff having to do with his wife being sleazy or something) however, I listened to TWiT for a year or two when I was in college before I just got disgusted at the utter lack of real tech news or know-how on the show - it was just a vehicle to shill for whatever his latest advertisers were, and for his own ego.

He didn't ever really seem to know much/anything about most of the technology he wanted to talk about, and he was more interested in spreading his own brand name than actually bringing up interesting or informative topics. The only thing he has any real knowledge about seems to be drooling over the newest upcoming Apple tech, or whatever antivirus company is giving him the most advertising dollars.

I haven't listened to him in probably 8-9 years but his current show is called "Leo Laporte: the Tech Guy," which is laughable because he quite obviously isn't a tech expert at much of anything. I can't hold it against someone for trying to advance their own personal brand - except when they do it based on a falsehood, such as claiming to be an expert when you're really more of the Ric Romero of technology news.

also

quote:

Laporte calls his audio and video shows "netcasts," saying "I've never liked the word podcast. It causes confusion … people have told me that they can't listen to my shows because they 'don't own an iPod' … I propose the word 'netcast.' It's a little clearer that these are broadcasts over the Internet. It's catchy and even kind of a pun."
:rolleyes:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 7, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I watched the TWiT video stream once and it was back when the new studio was happening so it was just "HEY LOOK AT OUR NEW STUDIO". I should have figured Leo was just a shilling egomaniac though because there was way too much Apple talk on there.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Zeether posted:

Of course he sucks, he likes the Xbox One. :sicknasty:

Twit used to be kinda fun to listen to but tech news in general hasn't been nearly as interesting as it used to be ever since it became about hyping whatever stupid phone is coming out that week. At least from time to time Dvorak will be on to grouse and put things in their place.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ I think I started listening to TWiT because I recognized Dvorak's name from my early years as a Macintosh user and having attended a couple MacWorlds as a kid (then switched over to PCs in college because it was a PITA in the late 90s to get decent coding software for a mac, let alone something my instructors could stick into their PC and run).

I listened to it back when technology-oriented podcasts were kind of scarce, and I'd been out of the loop for a couple years after burning out on computers after taking 3 years programming in college, and then having just tossed my computer in a closet for a few years before dusting it off and realizing how behind I was. I was trying to get back into the mix and listening to a bunch of IT-related podcasts from network admins and folks who were really talking about interesting and helpful topics such as security, compliance, and the like, while his show was more about how awesome the colors and form factor of the new iMacs were.

He seemed entirely unhelpful for me from an educational standpoint, and not really entertaining either - which are the two main reasons I listen to podcasts.

I'd rather listen to an expert talk about a topic I don't/didn't care about (Danielle's love of anthropomorphic animals in adventure/platformer games for instance, is interesting and entertaining despite me not having a desire to play them, or listening to Sean Elliot go on about game and story design in a game I never intend to play, or on a system I don't want to own etc), than what felt like the equivalent of a morning news show a la good morning america, etc.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 7, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I forget how it went exactly, but I believe he got someone fired for playing Cards Against Humanity on some stream saying he wouldn't allow such filth in his presence or some poo poo like that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Says the guy who live broadcasted him sex chatting up someone who wasn't his wife over gchat. (I think it was his producer, iirc)

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm caught up on Check It Out Comrade and I really like the show. It's what I like about other Duckfeed podcasts in that it's really informative. Like the Level, CIOC has helped develop an interest in games I'd otherwise ignore and has helped me lose interest in games I once wanted to try (which is a good thing because my backlog is big enough already). Splitting each episode into two parts with a spoiler session at the end is a really good idea- keep on doing that. I don't know if this is intentional, but it seems like most of the time the spoiler part is for one game only, usually because only one game has a complicated enough story to spoil. It gives the podcast a nice pacing.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsV-lgnAjps

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Eggie posted:

I'm caught up on Check It Out Comrade and I really like the show. It's what I like about other Duckfeed podcasts in that it's really informative. Like the Level, CIOC has helped develop an interest in games I'd otherwise ignore and has helped me lose interest in games I once wanted to try (which is a good thing because my backlog is big enough already). Splitting each episode into two parts with a spoiler session at the end is a really good idea- keep on doing that. I don't know if this is intentional, but it seems like most of the time the spoiler part is for one game only, usually because only one game has a complicated enough story to spoil. It gives the podcast a nice pacing.

That is intentional! Thanks for the kind words. That show doesn't get a lot of love so I'm always happy when it does.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Still the best thing he's ever done.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Milkman posted:

Still the best thing he's ever done.

Eh..

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ I think I started listening to TWiT because I recognized Dvorak's name from my early years as a Macintosh user and having attended a couple MacWorlds as a kid (then switched over to PCs in college because it was a PITA in the late 90s to get decent coding software for a mac, let alone something my instructors could stick into their PC and run).

I listened to TWiT for a while too, until it became clear that Dvorak is aggressively wrong about literally everything. Everything. LaPorte struck me as a lot like Garnett - a good host, but listening to him solo would be like torture because he's basically information-free.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

The new Watch Out for Fireballs! about Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is out. We like the game a whole, whole lot.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/79

Up next we've got a two parter about Suikoden II, then a split EP about Contra and Little Nemo, and an episode about Half-Life.

Only just started listening, but I never knew how much I wanted a Metal Gear / Home Improvement crossover radio play until this very moment.

Please consider quitting your jobs (and other podcasts) to make this a reality.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TetsuoTW posted:

I listened to TWiT for a while too, until it became clear that Dvorak is aggressively wrong about literally everything. Everything. LaPorte struck me as a lot like Garnett - a good host, but listening to him solo would be like torture because he's basically information-free.
Hey now he did write Silicon Snake Oil- oh wait that wasn't him that was Stoll. I always just THINK Dvorak wrote something useful except for reference books.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Mr Scumbag posted:

Not that many people here will care, but it looks like Garnett Lee's new podcast is pretty much dead after only seven episodes. Nothing official, but I've seen enough of these things just peter out for it to stink of no interest on the podcaster's part.

He just posted another one. Seems he was sick and looking for a job.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

SpannerX posted:

He just posted another one. Seems he was sick and looking for a job.

Well poo poo.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Something gives me the impression that Garnett is pretty disliked in this thread, but I really like his podcast with John Davidson. It's pretty standard format wise, but those two just have good chemistry and have interesting opinions on things, even I don't always agree with them.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
He's an alcoholic old man with bad or boring opinions who always has to play devil's advocate during any discussion.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Old Swerdlow posted:

He's an alcoholic old man with bad or boring opinions who always has to play devil's advocate during any discussion.

The devil's advocacy is what made me not want to listen to him in the 1up days, even though I definitely don't hate him. I find devil's advocacy extremely boring.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Devil's advocacy is a good way to cover up having nothing worthwhile to say.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sweet Jesus, Abject Suffering? Did you send Robin Williams over the edge or something?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

To quote someone on our Facebook page, "I swear I didn't realize the Abject Suffering request page was a Death Note."

It's a case of lovely timing. If the episode was still in the chamber when he passed, I'd probably look for something else to air, but someone's death doesn't retroactively make their movies (or the games based on them) better. Hindsight doesn't make the mean things we say (for laughs) any less mean, or any more meaningful than "it's fun to act angry about how bad 'Jack' is". I'm sad about his death because it's a dark thought that even someone with his resources couldn't/wouldn't get the help he needed. It's not likely that we'll do an episode on "Hook" for the NES any time soon.

All of that said, we're organizing a welfare check on Michael Crick.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oops, sorry I was just joking around, comedy site and all that. I should have posted in comic sans or something. :D

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm rushing to my own defense because even though I'm fully aware that I have no reason to feel bad, my inborn but misguided sense of Midwestern politeness is telling me that I've retroactively spoken ill of the dead. Which is nonsense.

Sorry to stomp on your goof. It's definitely a funny coincidence.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nah, I think he would have probably liked it, if he was in the right mind a the time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Vastakaiun posted:

I'll usually follow Jeff anywhere, but I really don't like listening to Spicer, so that show didn't do much for me.

His new show with Anthony Carboni, We Have Concerns, on the other hand is fantastic. It's not about video games, but it's really funny. I really like the format, they release three ~20 minute episodes a week, each one concentrating on one topic or newsstory and them talking about it. Episode 6 is my favourite so far, but any episode will do if you wanna try it out.

I'm past the test eps and up to the first official one, Brocks. I want to like it a lot because their back and forth reminds me strongly of Sifl n Olly Show, but it's feeling kind of forced. If they were sock puppets I might be able to lean a bit more into Carboni's faux rage over thrill rides. I'm hoping it hits its stride soon. They're both really good at happy talk, and I 90% liked Carboni's indie video game video series from some years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzTz7npIYUk

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Song For The Deaf posted:

It's definitely a funny coincidence.

Somewhat similarly, I was catching up on..about a year's backlog of NMW and came to the episode where they played the "Guess the movie by the IMDB tags" game with the theme of Robin Williams movies, finished the episode and then found out the news. Weird as hell.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

He's also mentioned in the most recent (excellent, btw) Retronauts. I tend not to be affected by celebrity death much but I respect those that are. More or less echoing what Kole said. We wouldn't do the episode now, but I stand by what I said during the episode, etc etc.

Also, if I recall, Hook isn't that bad. And I'm more concerned about my friend Shaq than I am Crick.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Hook didn't age well. At least as of the last time I saw it, which was in a theater sometime in the last decade.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ja2ke posted:

Hook didn't age well. At least as of the last time I saw it, which was in a theater sometime in the last decade.

Yeah, the movie didn't for me either. I was thinking the NES game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

hahaha oh sorry I missed some key context.

• Locked thread