Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

caberham posted:

Wonder how the husband feels? Makes me wonder if the interview process should not just be the individual candidate but their spouses and family as well :henget:

The Foreign Service used to have a whole section on its employee evaluation with questions about The Spouse. Unfortunately my google-fu is failing to find an example, but it definitely read like the 1950's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

caberham posted:

gently caress yes, this beats E/N falling in love with a homeless girl by far. I'm so glad I lurked here.

What? Link?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Bruxism posted:

The Foreign Service used to have a whole section on its employee evaluation with questions about The Spouse. Unfortunately my google-fu is failing to find an example, but it definitely read like the 1950's.

Honey, I'm getting tic'd out because of you.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of spouses, any of you guys seen homosexual couples on foreign assignment in hostile land? I'm just a bit curious. Do people just pretend "they are good friends" or cousins?

Artificer posted:

What? Link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651044

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

dalliance posted:

Anyone know (or have a clue) when registration will open for the October FSOT? I could have sworn I was registered by this time last year for the test.

I seem to remember being able to register much earlier than this as well in previous years. State hasn't said much about the October FSOT other than being able to register about "4-6 weeks" before the actual test. Another State rep said we can register in "September," but that seems awfully late.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

caberham posted:

Speaking of spouses, any of you guys seen homosexual couples on foreign assignment in hostile land? I'm just a bit curious. Do people just pretend "they are good friends" or cousins?

Girlfriend said there was a gay couple in Jordan during her last deployment. They were "roommates" but pretty much everyone on post knew and she said the locals didn't seem to give a poo poo so long as they weren't super open about it. Then again, this was Amman.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

caberham posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651044

I mean AF is full of countries where homosexuality is illegal, and also full of gay FSOs. From what I could tell, nobody questioned it because they're American. I imagine it is much much more annoying for gay singles than for couples.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
Reading that blog actually gives me some insight into how the FS might tear a marriage apart. I'm sure now that if I get in, I won't want to drag anyone along that isn't enthusiastic about it.

Also holy crap I never though about the ramifications of having pets as a FSO. Dragging dogs to another country sounds like a massive hassle.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Stolennosferatu posted:

Reading that blog actually gives me some insight into how the FS might tear a marriage apart. I'm sure now that if I get in, I won't want to drag anyone along that isn't enthusiastic about it.

Also holy crap I never though about the ramifications of having pets as a FSO. Dragging dogs to another country sounds like a massive hassle.

It can happen even when your spouse is enthusiastic about it (like mine was).

Pets....oh god that's a huge bag of worms. Your bidding may well be determined by whether you can get your favorite cat/dog into the country or not. Some places are easier than others, obviously (6+ month quarantines in some places....)

Getting my 3 cats shipped to Addis ran about $3000 each way. A bit more the first time due to having to buy special carriers because ±Lufthansa±.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Leif. posted:

Pets....oh god that's a huge bag of worms. Your bidding may well be determined by whether you can get your favorite cat/dog into the country or not. Some places are easier than others, obviously (6+ month quarantines in some places....)

Getting my 3 cats shipped to Addis ran about $3000 each way. A bit more the first time due to having to buy special carriers because ±Lufthansa±.

Yep my dog has and will absolutely continue to have a huge impact on my bidding.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Leif. posted:

Yeah, I'd say that's been the hardest part of this gig. I know there's a number of people/couples that have to make the "us" or the job choice.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stolennosferatu posted:

My girlfriend was telling me how before she left Amman, some guy who was new on post showed up with his two German Shepherds. I guess the dogs flew in from Chicago or something and were just absolutely miserable when she picked them up at the airport. In addition, Amman is not exactly a dog friendly city so I'm not sure what the gently caress the guy was thinking.

I love dogs and I can hardly wait till I have a house so I can get one but I have no idea what the gently caress some people are thinking bring some pets on deployments though cats seem like they'd be easier to deal with.

Leif. posted:

This. I guess the only thing I can say is this career is very very challenging for couples even in the best of circumstances.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

caberham posted:

Previously, before 2009, if you wanted to take your same-sex domestic partner with you, they had to get a visa that basically meant they were household staff working for you - really good for relationships and morale. Post-2009, we started quietly issuing dip passports to people who were married in jurisdictions where it was legal or who otherwise swore an affadavit that they were in a marriage-like relationship. Then we'd pursue getting dip visas for these SSDPs. Now, post-DOMA, it's Department policy to advocate with host countries to get spousal visas for same-sex spouses. Some countries are better than others - most places where homosexuality is restricted will quietly issue a totally-not-a-spouse-wink-wink-please-don't-make-this-public visa just because they can't afford to piss off the US.

Russia, not so much...

Obelisk
Mar 17, 2013
Because of this thread, I brought up spouse issues with my husband last night. He currently runs his own business and works crazy hours (nights, weekends) plus does a ton of childcare. He would like to be a FT SAH dad to our kids and also has an online business idea he'd like to pursue in a low key way, which is related to what he does for work currently. He's an introvert and doesn't have a need for a social life outside family. I'm more of an extrovert. Anyway, he thinks that joining the foreign service would be an ideal way to have the time to pursue his dreams (SAH with the kids and the online business idea) without the financial pressure we feel now which means we both have to work FT. Also, we both love to travel and have family and friends scattered all over the world. Before we met, in our 20s, we each spent years of our lives traveling and living in foreign countries. Husband is a language person and speaks 7 languages fluently. He'd love to learn more.

Obviously, we'd have to go for postings with decent internet and schools. But I can't think of another potential career where I could earn enough to support the whole family. I don't think that we're being unrealistic although I realize that living in Nigeria or wherever would be very frustrating in some ways, although fascinating.

I guess I feel that it's maybe a bit different to go into a job like this if you have never lived in a foreign country or a developing country. Or if you have strong family and career ties back home. I've met quite a lot of very content FS spouses and they tend to be the ones who appreciate the positive aspects of the lifestyle. On the other hand, I've met quite a few spouses who gave up careers back in the US and it's very hard for them as EFM positions at the Embassy tend to be clerical in nature. Maybe it's just me but the happiest FS spouses I've met have tended to be men. My theory is that being a male "trailing spouse" goes against gender expectations so most men who do this have really thought it through. I've met several unhappy female spouses who have just kind of fallen into 1950s style gender roles and ended up unhappy. Not saying that this is applies to everyone but this is just what I've observed during my years working as an LES at an Embassy.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Obelisk posted:

Obviously, we'd have to go for postings with decent internet and schools.

Yeah - manage your expectations on that - especially during your first two tours. Often times in the developing world, while the city may have internet, they may not have it at the house you are assigned or it may take several months to get it run to your house/apartment and you may have frequent outages.

With that said, I know several trailing husbands and they all seem to really like it. It allows them to work out, cook, take care of the kids, etc. It's not a bad lifestyle.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

TCD posted:

With that said, I know several trailing husbands and they all seem to really like it. It allows them to work out, cook, take care of the kids, etc. It's not a bad lifestyle.

Man, I get where "trailing" comes from, but it's such a poor choice of word. It's like they had a contest for the best word to make spouses feel marginalized.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Bruxism posted:

Man, I get where "trailing" comes from, but it's such a poor choice of word. It's like they had a contest for the best word to make spouses feel marginalized.

Why don't they use the word "accompanying spouse?"

Also, I heard that the FSOT will be offered again from October 4-11, but I'm trying to find an official source on that.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

zzonkmiles posted:

I prefer EFM- eligible family member. I followed my wife into the FS and you can too!
:bandwagon:

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

Leif. posted:

We spent about $1500 getting 2 cats and a dog into Europe. We had to get carriers, a new vet in VA, microchips, vaccinations and USDA clearance for animal export. This was going to a country that did not have any import fees, which can be very costly depending on the country.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

Spouse doesn't always accompany the FSO?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Spouse doesn't always accompany the FSO?

Trailing X is similar to another term used in consular work, left-behind parent. Though that's normally used when one parent abducts a kid across int'l boundaries...

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Skandiaavity-- great to finally ACTUALLY meet you tonight. I'll confess once or twice I had thought you were the same person I'd been talking to on the internet, but didn't know how to broach the awkward "Hey, do I know you from Something Awful?" question... glad you were the one to broach it, haha. Hope you had fun tonight too, though the food didn't totally live up to my best memories of that city... oh well.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Likewise! I heard about you from our mutual friend (MC) and I remembered that he interviewed someone :haw: If you are heading out this weekend let's grab a beer and catch up before you go.

The company is always better than the food.. SG has higher regulations regarding food (especially meats), so it was probably the best they could get (in that quantity) in Manila.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CronoGamer posted:

didn't know how to broach the awkward "Hey, do I know you from Something Awful?" question...

Don't know what the problem is, Zoots and I greet each other like that every time we see each other in HST. It's best if shouted across the caf.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

Don't know what the problem is, Zoots and I greet each other like that every time we see each other in HST. It's best if shouted across the caf.

I usually tip my fedora and shout, "Diplomacy is SERIOUS BUSINESS."

Real talk: I'm usually so tired I don't realize chavi is next to me until she's trying to steal my wallet.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Mostly a lurker here (mostly because I don't know anything yet) but just got my IMS Oral Assessment date for October!

Any advice without treading on the NDA?

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
It's been over two months since the OA and only last week did my security investigation get actually started. This waiting sucks. I feel like I'm in senioritis in my current job!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qwertyman posted:

It's been over two months since the OA and only last week did my security investigation get actually started. This waiting sucks. I feel like I'm in senioritis in my current job!

Back in MY day, I'd have taken my six-month wait and I've have liked it! *shakes fist*

Seriously, that is annoying. Sorry dude. :(

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

I usually tip my fedora and shout, "Diplomacy is SERIOUS BUSINESS."

Real talk: I'm usually so tired I don't realize chavi is next to me until she's trying to steal my wallet.

Or until I throw something at you when I walk past your desk.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZWCGkIFNQ

For those aspiring to be FSO, now you can live a day in the life!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

zzonkmiles posted:

Also, I heard that the FSOT will be offered again from October 4-11, but I'm trying to find an official source on that.

Okay, the dates for the October FSOT are officially posted on State's FSOT page now. So October 4-11 it is. Registration and test site selection open on August 27.

Git 'er done.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

zzonkmiles posted:

Okay, the dates for the October FSOT are officially posted on State's FSOT page now. So October 4-11 it is. Registration and test site selection open on August 27.

Git 'er done.
I finally got through to someone stateside last week about the incident report and fouled-up essay section, but haven't gotten any response back from that yet-- is it possible (if all goes well) that they'll just send something out August 27th and say "sure go do the October test"? :pray:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

problematique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZWCGkIFNQ

For those aspiring to be FSO, now you can live a day in the life!

I... I... just want to make friends with people who work in Hong Kong or Guangzhou for the APO Amazon Prime hookup :downsrim:

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Ofaloaf posted:

I finally got through to someone stateside last week about the incident report and fouled-up essay section, but haven't gotten any response back from that yet-- is it possible (if all goes well) that they'll just send something out August 27th and say "sure go do the October test"? :pray:

If there was a glitch in your test process then it's likely.

My computer shat itself during the essay in Feb 2013. They said as long as I passed the multiple choice I could re-test in June. Did so and all was gravy.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Finally got an email from Pearson Vue today, they finished my Essay rescore! For reference:

Captain Bravo posted:

Aww, aww man. Passed the multiple choice, and got a 5 on the Essay. Goddammit, so close!

So I needed a 6 or better to pass. I logged in to the site... and they dropped my score to a 4. :suicide:

So apparantly I'm functionally illiterate! Yaaaaaaay.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Finally got an email from Pearson Vue today, they finished my Essay rescore! For reference:

So I needed a 6 or better to pass. I logged in to the site... and they dropped my score to a 4. :suicide:

Yay... :(. Did they charge you?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yep, thirty bucks.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Well, like they always say, there's always next year. :(

In the meantime, I'd practice writing under pressure.

Also, at least you took a chance. Gotta fight for the things that matter, right? I'm just sorry it didn't work out for you.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
That sucks that your score dropped but at least you tried. It cost you a pizza and pitcher of beer is all. Best of luck next time.

I just got back from a week Guadalcanal. Two weeks ago Tuesday a notice went out looking for volunteers to be a note-taker at a SecState meeting in the Solomons. The Outlook popup window hadn't even faded away before I'd responded "YES!". I had to lobby for it a bit but my prev experience as a reporting officer won out and Wednesday morning I discovered I had 48 hours to get my ducks lined up. Of course I hadn't logged into E2 yet and it took some wrangling to get my account transferred from Abuja (didn't realize I had to transfer E2 as well, another checkbox for my post transfer list) but got it all squared away. My wife and daughter were due to return from Japan on Sunday; they spent the summer there teaching and going to school and I had only seen them once in the last 2 months, but so be it, I was off!

Took a red-eye to Brisbane and then to Solomon Islands (which was cake compared to the Brisband-Denpasar-Seoul return flight. I'll spare the details of my utter contempt for the Indonesian airport). Spent 3 days doing SecState advance. I was only a note taker at a short protocol meeting but tagged along on site visits and learned a tremendous amount about high-level visit advance and site control. Befriended the DS teams and got to know people from all over EAP who'd flown in to support Port Moresby's team. The Secretary's trip on Wednesday went off without a hitch (well, of course there were hitches but we handled them, of course) and then it was back to Korea overnight Thursday-Friday. Perhaps the biggest lesson I learned is that flags are always a problem.

I did have some time off and got to explore Honiara. The central market and a local Baha'i graveyard were great for talking to locals but my trip out to Bloody Ridge and then the Japanese and American memorials of the battle of Guadalcanal will stick in memory for a long time. I picked up Neptune's Inferno for the trip and it was eerie reading about the battles with the battle field right there outside my hotel window.

Yup, this job f'ing rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

How difficult is it for a first-tour officer to be assigned to Japan (if you do speak Japanese), Korea (if you don't speak Korean), or the Philippines (if you don't speak Tagalog)?