Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Dorans Blade (often x2) -> IE+Berserker Greaves -> PD or Shiv - shiv for instant powerspike, PD for better scaling -> LW -> Bloodthirster 4th item -> Banshees/GA/QSS defensive item around this point

The real trick to IE rush is that it opens up more options for buying. If you have 1400 gold when you back, pick up your 2nd Dorans and a pickaxe. If you have 1600, buy a BF and a health pot to go with the one Doran you started with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, neat. So, for Jinx and Caitlyn (my two non-Tristana ADCs I like), how would I want to go about things item-wise? Also, rune pages, the OP is recommending lifesteal quints for Marksmen when last I played people were saying to go flat AD there. The changes prompt a shift back? (Similarly, armor versus health seals, is that still the same or has that shifted again too?)

IE, Boots, Shiv/Phantom, LS, BT/Defensive item is basically the go to build now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So judging by what you're all saying, my usual start of Boots -> Blade of the Ruined King -> Trinity Force is a bad idea?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

SirSamVimes posted:

So judging by what you're all saying, my usual start of Boots -> Blade of the Ruined King -> Trinity Force is a bad idea?

On Cait/Jinx, yes. You can get away with an early BORK on Trist or Kog (for assassination/survivability, respectively).

Edit: Triforce is still really good on Kog and basically a must buy every game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Mash posted:

Dorans Blade (often x2) -> IE+Berserker Greaves -> PD or Shiv - shiv for instant powerspike, PD for better scaling -> LW -> Bloodthirster 4th item -> Banshees/GA/QSS defensive item around this point

The real trick to IE rush is that it opens up more options for buying. If you have 1400 gold when you back, pick up your 2nd Dorans and a pickaxe. If you have 1600, buy a BF and a health pot to go with the one Doran you started with.

Sexpansion posted:

IE, Boots, Shiv/Phantom, LS, BT/Defensive item is basically the go to build now.

Gotcha. Thanks much.

Edit: Any rune advice, meanwhile? AD versus LS versus AS quints and Armor versus Health seals in particular.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 8, 2014

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I forget how long it's been, but Trist also got a quality of life buff on her W some time back which when she's in meta turns out to be huge. That thing used to be janky as gently caress and if you got cc'd during it, it would teleport you back to the point where you jumped from, and I'm pretty sure people could still damage you in the air as if you were standing at the point where you jumped from. Her R and E also got normalized to be the same range as her autos, which means lategame you can tack on that healing debuff from safety as well as punt people further away from you if you're doing it from the maxiumum range.

She might actually be the safest of the ADCs with dashes now instead of the opposite like it used to be.

Kog is still probably stronger in general since he takes less items to come online than Trist and has actual lane bullying power, but he's got zero actual escape other than waddling.

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 8, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, neat. So, for Jinx and Caitlyn (my two non-Tristana ADCs I like), how would I want to go about things item-wise? Also, rune pages, the OP is recommending lifesteal quints for Marksmen when last I played people were saying to go flat AD there. The changes prompt a shift back? (Similarly, armor versus health seals, is that still the same or has that shifted again too?)

Flat AD is much better now, lifesteal runes got nerfed a while back. In any case, starting with a dblade and flat AD gives decent enough sustain.

Cait's not in the best place right now, obviously she's never going to fall out of favor because of her range, but anyone described as a hypercarry is really good now. Jinx and Trist are almost identical in terms of mid-game build: IE, PD/SS. Kog is scary with TF and BORK because you proc %HP damage in physical and magic, and if you pop the BORK active after you land a Q you have serious burst.

Also the single most fun build in the game is Twitch's ghostblade bork assassination build.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Any rune advice, meanwhile? AD versus LS versus AS quints and Armor versus Health seals in particular.

I didn't realize this, but it seems like most of the pros are running Attack Speed quints on ADCs now. AD reds, armor/health yellows, flat MR blues.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, a lot of higher ELO bot lanes are running 1x AD, 1x AS quints and a mix of flat HP and arm seals. 5 HP 4 ARM is what I've been running.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheModernAmerican posted:

Flat AD is much better now, lifesteal runes got nerfed a while back. In any case, starting with a dblade and flat AD gives decent enough sustain.

Cait's not in the best place right now, obviously she's never going to fall out of favor because of her range, but anyone described as a hypercarry is really good now. Jinx and Trist are almost identical in terms of mid-game build: IE, PD/SS. Kog is scary with TF and BORK because you proc %HP damage in physical and magic, and if you pop the BORK active after you land a Q you have serious burst.

Also the single most fun build in the game is Twitch's ghostblade bork assassination build.

I mainly play Cait when I can't play Jinx; Jinx is far and away my favorite ADC and her not being touched much beyond the passive buff since I last played does not upset me one bit. Never tried Kog; was tempted to before but he was apparently awful then so I didn't bother. Might give him a try now though since I can't always play Jinx.

Sexpansion posted:

I didn't realize this, but it seems like most of the pros are running Attack Speed quints on ADCs now. AD reds, armor/health yellows, flat MR blues.

That's why I was wondering about AS quints versus AD/LS. Also HP versus Armor because I'm not sure what the benefit/trade-off for each is exactly.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I checked probuilds fairly recently and was surprised to see a bunch of people had switched back to LS quints from aspd on their ADC pages. Did I just happen to click on a bunch of abnormal games or did it flip-flop back and forth a bit when lifesteal items were nerfed?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

A Stupid Baby posted:

I forget how long it's been, but Trist also got a quality of life buff on her W some time back which when she's in meta turns out to be huge. That thing used to be janky as gently caress and if you got cc'd during it, it would teleport you back to the point where you jumped from, and I'm pretty sure people could still damage you in the air as if you were standing at the point where you jumped from. Her R and E also got normalized to be the same range as her autos, which means lategame you can tack on that healing debuff from safety as well as punt people further away from you if you're doing it from the maxiumum range.

She might actually be the safest of the ADCs with dashes now instead of the opposite like it used to be.

Kog is still probably stronger in general since he takes less items to come online than Trist and has actual lane bullying power, but he's got zero actual escape other than waddling.

What are your thoughts on AP Trist?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
In the last thread I was talking about how I felt like Janna was out of the meta right now. I was totally wrong. Totally. Won a game last night with an absolutely awful team comp (Zed mid, Yasuo top, Darius jungle)that had no business winning pretty much because of how hard Janna's shield scales. Janna is really good, and I think it just took a while for me to click with her. I think I was just bad at Janna.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
I really like the Sona changes. I guess she's my "main", I've played the most ranked games with her and my winrate with her is pretty good, but I only just managed to play a few games with her since the changes. She just feels more potent now, and more interesting to play as I try to get people in the auras instead of just floating around spamming abilities. Visual upgrade looks nice, great particle effects. No complaints from me at all, I think they did a great job with the rework. Played her the same as usual, AA-Q-Power Chord is absolute beast at level 1 still.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Biowarfare posted:

AP Trist took a nerf or two on the last run and is a gimmicky burst assassin that always goes 1/12 on your team and 14/0 on the enemy by 10 minutes. Take that as you will.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

One of the most horrific experiences I've ever had in League was playing Ashe in an ARAM against an AP Trist who had the micro skill to W on top of me, pop DFG before landing, E, and ult me, then jumping out. This happened at least 5 times. My smart teammates refused to help me at all so I ended up hanging back around two screens back because I was the only squishy, then I got yelled at for not dealing damage in fights.

We ended up winning because I finally landed an ult on her mid-jump.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

the micro skill to W on top of me, pop DFG before landing, E, and ult me, then jumping out

Is that micro skill or just good precision clicking+apm? Is there an effective difference? I don't know why but some jargon still confuses me a bit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If it makes you feel any better, I got shut out really hard by an AP Trist mid. But since she doesn't do anything late game, we just had to stall the game a little bit. Her entire damage is based around jumping into a group. She doesn't do much damage when she's dead.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

glomkettle posted:

Is that micro skill or just good precision clicking+apm? Is there an effective difference? I don't know why but some jargon still confuses me a bit.

I imagine in this case, micro means little

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Nevermind I just read the entire post and that is NOT what he meant

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I got shut out really hard by an AP Trist mid. But since she doesn't do anything late game, we just had to stall the game a little bit. Her entire damage is based around jumping into a group. She doesn't do much damage when she's dead.

Sometime in S3 I tried out AP Kog in a normal and had the misfortune of being matched against an AP Trist. It was one of the most miserable laning phases I've experienced to date, but at least lategame I was able to melt her before she even landed on me. We still lost because no one on my team (myself included) had any idea how to play the objective game at that time, but it was really satisfying when the Trist asked me in /all where my damage was coming from.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

glomkettle posted:

Yeah, it's more or less just good clicking in this case. I've always been under the impression that micro and macro were just nerd terms for tactics and strategy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I learned my lesson. Always be Yi.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I learned my lesson. Always be Yi.

It is always, Time to Yi.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Wrong, it's time to ryze.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

exethan posted:

Please be sensitive of ancient thread memes.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

exethan posted:

Top lane or mid?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Please be sensitive of ancient thread memes.

I wasn't even going by a meme. All of those Yi games were easy wins, the yasuo one we lost loving hard.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

exethan posted:

Nope, I checked my watch and it's definitely time to Yi. Your watch must be broken.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

exethan posted:

I strongly approve of the triple RoA game :hellyeah:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

exethan posted:

Together we ryze

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Tonetta posted:

Together we ryze

This made me remember that they made this:

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 8, 2014

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Top lane or mid?

Usually mid, easier farming / more kill potential with ignite. I'm now 12-3 with him, one of the games I played legitimately bad and we had support nidalee so it was my fault for not dodging that one. I then lost two more games due to AFKers. ryze in pieces

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Tonetta posted:

Made a new song for a new thread, I could probably finish this one sometime.

Just solo queuein' in the mornin gotta thank God
I don't know but today seems kinda odd
No crashes on adobe air, no lag
And everybody hit yes first try
I got first pick, nobody raging about
Finally my main isnt gonna get banned out
(Whassup?) Locked it up for later and got me a 'dew
Thinkin will I carry, another 20 elo
I gotta go cause I got me a dorans blade
And if I get first blood, call it surrender at 20 yo
Crushed on top, its all going right
Lookin in my chat box and not a rager in sight
And we stomped alright
I got a beep from serv, and he can play all night
Mumbled up the goons and I'm askin y'all
Which queue, are y'all to crush them all?
Get me on the 'rift and they in trouble
Last week hosed around and got a pentakill yo
stomping puggers everyway like Saint V.
I can't believe, today I had some good games (poo poo!)

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/icecube/itwasagoodday.html

Read it in Ice Cube's voice by the second line. Solid.

The Mash posted:

You're right, that dumb Udyr skin was worse

The worst legendary.

Sexpansion posted:

As always, I think these are really good. It's my favorite "tier list", if you want to call it that, by far.

If you make UBPR a little less important, I think you get a better idea of what champions are strong in solo Q. This is with weighting UBPR at 10% and weight win rate more heavily:

Edit: It also makes having a strong jungler in solo q look pretty important.

I'll take a look at it on my next adjustment cycle. Having a strong jungler is the most important thing in solo queue I think. I've tripped back and forth on it numerous times and I think it's almost the only role left in the game where I feel like someone can truly "carry" their team to victory.

Roland Jones posted:

For Tristana, Jinx, and Caitlyn, I think you can run this setup for all three (it's a pretty standard hyper-carry page, this one in particular is from Samsung White Imp):

AD +8.5 / AS +14% / MR +12 / Armor +9
M: 9 AD | S: 9 Armor | G: MR | Q: 3 AS

This is the best Marksman page in my opinion:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It occurs to me now that not making the thread title "League of Legends S4.5: I think everyone is overtuned" was a missed opportunity.

Also the ultimate skin is clearly going to be #LCSBIGPLAYS Lee Sin. Also the Victorious skin will be for him and one of the winning team skins.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 8, 2014

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

exethan posted:

The Ryze Shall South Again?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Invalid Validation posted:

Rocket jump is actually her least damaging ability, it just secures kills. The core of AP trist is harassing people down in lane with E (80-260 +100% AP) and instagibbing people with ult (300-500 +150% AP), and then amping all that damage with a DFG.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Rocket jump is actually her least damaging ability, it just secures kills. The core of AP trist is harassing people down in lane with E (80-260 +100% AP) and instagibbing people with ult (300-500 +150% AP), and then amping all that damage with a DFG.

The burst on her W is pretty important though. E has a higher ratio, but when it comes to getting in, getting a kill, and getting out, you don't always have time to wait for the DoT to tick.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

glomkettle posted:

The burst on her W is pretty important though. E has a higher ratio, but when it comes to getting in, getting a kill, and getting out, you don't always have time to wait for the DoT to tick.

Lets say you're a level 11 Trist and you've got a DFG, couple of drings, and sorc boots. Enemy Caitlyn is level 9 with flat MR blues, so they're sitting at 1250 HP with 42 magic resist.

DFG Blast: 160 Damage (after MR)
Trist Ult: 900 Damage (after MR)

Cait is sitting at 190 HP, and can easily be finished off with a rocket jump. You still have E damage and probably ignite on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crazy Larry posted:

I'll freely admit that I was wrong about how much her change would affect her, but, on the other hand, that kind of raises the issue of what was the point. Playing tag with teammates isn't particularly more engaging or proactive or whatever then before. I still think that her E should have been changed to be a more offensive skill - maybe make it a movespeed syphon (kind of like Malphite's Q) where she could share the bonus movespeed with whoever touches her aura. I feel like that would make her fit more in this meta and would have done more to push her in the direction they were looking for with regards to her gameplay being more proactive.

Sona's stuff wasn't confined to playing her as a champion, it's at least partially influenced by the fact that always-on auras don't "feel" good for either your team or the other team, and cause both sides to make poor decisions based on somewhat obfuscated information.

• Locked thread