Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

To the person inquiring about a K70 vs. a Logitech model, I guess I can offer my experiences with Corsair's keyboards for reference since someone else took care of the Logitech side of things. (And they're not kidding, either, Logitech's support is pretty much legendary at this point for a reason, but I digress!)

I have a K60 that Corsair sent me brand loving new after Dogen sent me a two-year-old used one. Their reason for replacing it was that one of the back legs got misplaced along the way. Brand friggin' new keyboard, it was my go-to with my prior setup too because I didn't have the desk space for the K95 that I bought for the macro keys after that great experience.

They also want to replace my K95 because the Home key's LED is one of the old style Cherry LED switches and the LED croaked. Key works fine, but it doesn't light up, oooooh nooooo :qq:

The guy who was working with me on the phone even pulled one temporarily from the production run that had just come in and kept it in his office so I could get faster warranty service. Turns out I don't actually care about the Home key LED, or just LEDs generally, so I couldn't be arsed, but you gotta give it to 'em for trying really hard to give me another new keyboard.

They all have USB pass-through as well which is pretty cool (not a hub, it's got two plugs, one for the board itself and one that just runs straight through and extends whichever USB slot you chose to be at your keyboard instead). I use mine most often to plug in simple audio interfaces or charge my phone, though before I went wired on my other peripherals it was pretty awesome having a Logitech receiver thingy right there. Had zero interference or distance issues while that was going on, but I don't use a wireless mouse anymore. Also has four switch positions to change the polling frequency on the board itself, including a "BIOS mode" in case you're still running a P45 and a Core2Quad or whatever and it freaks out at POST. They advertise 20-key rollover, and it might as well be N-key rollover, for all practical purposes. I doubt that most people run into issues with the more conventional 6-key rollover allowed by the specification, but Corsair spec'd this board to go farther than that, and I have tested it with the help of another pair of hands: they aren't kidding, it'll go up to 20 past the first one. Not that you're ever likely to be able to use that? I dunno, maybe some people still play Liero 1.33 with DOSBOX or something...

Anyway, their media controls are slick as heck. Knurled aluminum volume adjustment, dedicated buttons for media controls as well. That's on all of them, from the K60 on up. I guess they make some tenkeyless models now, not sure how they are addressing media keys on them since it's a pretty darn neat feature and I'd hate to lose it, but then again apart from maybe some more LEDs going out, there's no indication this keyboard is going to stop being awesome any time soon so I'm hanging onto it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Valar Morghulis posted:

You can get o-rings if it annoys them to no end. It doesn't make the typing experience any different. However you'll miss out on the pleasure you get from annoying them :v:

I gotta disagree. O-rings do modify the typing experience, it alters the depth at which keys can be pressed. Also, as already mentioned, the majority of the noise from MX Blues come from a mechanism within the switch designed to make a clicking noise, which won't be prevented by using o-rings.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

1gnoirents posted:

well ... they totally were lol. It was just pointless to

to be fair, they were retarded loud

I disagree, mech kbs are not that loud overall. Certainly not overly loud compared to a busy office environment.

The real issue is that they are a novel sound so harder to tune out unless everyone switches to mechanical again.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I picked up the Logitech 710+ last week when it was on sale for 1/3 off on Amazon. Overall it's not bad, but there are some caveats that should be noted:

- The G keys on the left side is playing hell with my muscle memory. My hand doesn't want to naturally rest on WASD anymore, and reaching for some keys (Esc, everything to the right of the F column) seems to be very hit or miss. This will no doubt fade with time, but it's going to take a while to adjust.
- The O-rings do make typing feel just a tad bit mushy. This may just be my typing style though, and should fade a bit as I adjust - historically I tend to bottom out hard.
- The wrist rest feels very minimalistic. It's not particularly wide, and the slope seems relatively steep. Maybe my fingers are longer than average, but palm barely touches it during normal use.

I have not installed the Logitech software to map the G keys. Everything else seems to be working fine out of the box, including the media keys, the backlight intensity buttons, and the 'game mode' button that disables the Windows key.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Tried out the CM Stealth w Green MX. It seems I bottom out no matter what keyboard I use (I hoped the green would help spring me back from bottoming out), but with green, I bottom out while putting my fingers through a little more work. I like the accuracy of the green, but I can tell it is fatiguing.

I think I'll stick with blue.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Also, as already mentioned, the majority of the noise from MX Blues come from a mechanism within the switch designed to make a clicking noise, which won't be prevented by using o-rings.
I don't know if you've used blues, but the click of the plastic slider dropping inside the switch is much quieter than the average clack of keys bottoming out. You just can't damp it with o-rings or typing lightly. If found that with blues I wasn't making a whole lot more noise than with my brown board, because I wasn't bottoming as much. It's just a different pitch.

Annoyed coworkers might still be annoyed by it, but in that case they'll be annoyed by almost anything. Better not play music through open headphones either!

isndl posted:

- The O-rings do make typing feel just a tad bit mushy. This may just be my typing style though, and should fade a bit as I adjust - historically I tend to bottom out hard.
Just remember that taking them off is not difficult if you want to try without.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm trying to shop for my GF, who caught the mech KB bug now. We're trying to find 104 keyboards with reds; she doesn't like the look of the more generic ones.

I have already recommended the Corsaid K70, Rosewill and the SteelSeries 6Gv2. Are there any suggestions for us?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 6, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm trying to shop for my GF, who caught the mech KB bug now. We're trying to find 104 keyboards with reds; she doesn't like the look of the more generic ones.

I have already recommended the Corsaid K70, Rosewill and the SteelSeries 6Gv2. Are there any suggestions for us?

WASDKeyboards lets you pick your keycaps colors if you want to do something fun http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard.html . Most of the CM Storm Quickfire boards are decent, although the rapid-i with the crazy backlighting is pretty hard to find yet. You could look at all the selections of Vortex and Ducky keyboards (they're primarily sold in Asia so support can be difficult but otherwise they're decent). If you're in the US you pretty much have to buy from ebay sellers or sites like http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ or do a massdrop group buy thing for easiest access to those products.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
For those with Cherry MX lights, this came up: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/led-color-changer Bought a set to mess around with my Clear MX CODE when it ships.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

calandryll posted:

For those with Cherry MX lights, this came up: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/led-color-changer Bought a set to mess around with my Clear MX CODE when it ships.

Hmm. I don't care about LEDS (that's why I didn't take the free replacement from Corsair on the K95 when one turned out to be dead!). And yet that sounds kinda cool.

Cognitive dissonance engage! Wallet, determine course!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I already have a mech at work and at home.

I currently have 3 other keyboards on order at various places. I really don't know what I am going to do with all of them.

I literally never thought I would grow up to have a keyboard collection.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
More Poker IIs being sold on Massdrop, you'll never own a finer 60%

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kbc-poker-2

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Agreed posted:

They also want to replace my K95 because the Home key's LED is one of the old style Cherry LED switches and the LED croaked. Key works fine, but it doesn't light up, oooooh nooooo :qq:

The guy who was working with me on the phone even pulled one temporarily from the production run that had just come in and kept it in his office so I could get faster warranty service. Turns out I don't actually care about the Home key LED, or just LEDs generally, so I couldn't be arsed, but you gotta give it to 'em for trying really hard to give me another new keyboard.
I've lost F3 on my 6 month old K70 and it's not bothering me so far, but this is good to hear.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I decided to take my Coolermaster TK to work as I'm pretty sick of having to help work on AS400 stuff without a 10 key. It's soooo much nicer to use. Only problem is, now I have a Kinesis Advantage that's just sitting, collecting dust. May have to clean it and put it up on SA Mart.

Surprisingly, my co-worker hasn't strangled me after listening to me type on these Cherry Blues. That may change when we have to move into another offfice, which is going to be smaller and have more techs in it. Honestly, I don't think it's that much louder than my Kinesis with Browns, but I think that has to do with the fact that I bottom out all the time and with the build of the Kinesis. The Kinesis is loving HUGE, yet is light as a feather. The Coolermaster and the Max Keyboard are both considerably smaller, yet weigh a good bit more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I've lost F3 on my 6 month old K70 and it's not bothering me so far, but this is good to hear.

I'm down like 8 including all of my left modifier keys. I probably should do something about that, this thing is awful with the lights out.

But I live in Canada so it's probably a huge hassle. I remember someone last year had a big issue with import fees and UPS.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 9, 2014

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I found an IBM model M at a garage sale in the free pile today. My wife has already complained about the clicking. If I don't keep it what would it sell for on craigslist or the like?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hdip posted:

I found an IBM model M at a garage sale in the free pile today. My wife has already complained about the clicking. If I don't keep it what would it sell for on craigslist or the like?

I'm not sure about craigslist but on ebay they're 25 to 50+ bucks depending on what shape they're in (new in box 300+ heh). For the most part everything can be fixed so even pretty bad ones get bought. A brand new unicomp is about $80 these days but since buckling springs last about forever, something less than that will get people buying it if it's in good shape.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Speaking of unicomp, I just asked them and they said they had some plans to make a buckling spring TKL. If it was 60% size I would buy that poo poo so hard.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Is there any major difference between these two keyboards here and here other than the colors?

Unknownmass fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 12, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Unknownmass posted:

Is there any major difference between these two keyboards here and here other than the colors?

I'm not a Ducky expert or anything but they appear to be the same base keyboard with different keycaps. The black PBT keycaps are laser engraved and infilled with white stuff, while the yellow are dye sublimated.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I got a thing

It doesn't match it's surroundings.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

But I live in Canada so it's probably a huge hassle. I remember someone last year had a big issue with import fees and UPS.

That was me. Just make goddamn sure that they mark it as a warranty replacement on the import form and you should be fine. Unfortunately, some random LEDs are crapping out on my replacement, but after the crap that happened last year I'll just put up without them. The warranty is two years, so if there's some pressing need for a backlit keyboard again, I have plenty of time to request a new one.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Nondescript Van posted:

It doesn't match it's surroundings.

good god, put a door blank on a pair of sawhorses or something man

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I made a huge mistake and decided to learn both touch typing and Colemak, starting today.
It took me forever to type this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

That was me. Just make goddamn sure that they mark it as a warranty replacement on the import form and you should be fine. Unfortunately, some random LEDs are crapping out on my replacement, but after the crap that happened last year I'll just put up without them. The warranty is two years, so if there's some pressing need for a backlit keyboard again, I have plenty of time to request a new one.

Last time I mentioned it Agreed insisted it's just a thing that happens to LEDs, but I think with how early, frequently, and in bunches the LEDs in them tend to fail that Corsair is cutting some corners.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Skiant posted:

I made a huge mistake and decided to learn both touch typing and Colemak, starting today.
It took me forever to type this.

U syk'g ekyw whag jyl'pf gaieukd abylgo U nlrg ifapkfs Cyifmae uk gfk muklgfr.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
In case any keyboard weirdos have some time to kill, the OP is several years old now and contains many dead links. I don't know any way to shop for computer accessories other than to read shch ops, so I'm feeling a little disadvantaged now.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
:dance: :dance:
poker II with clears so close i can feel it

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014
So from time to time my keyboard (cheap rear end microsoft keyboard 600 - noob gamer student edition!) repeats the lassed pressed button until I unplug it, wait a few seconds and plug it back in again. This is pretty bad when it happens while playing.

Because I needed to do it anyway, I already reinstalled my windows (now experiencing the "missing msvcp110.dll" error -.-) but the problem still occurs.

Before spending a few bucks, I thought that maybe one of you might have an idea how to fix that without getting a new one.
I already googled and installed IntelliType from microsoft but meh..

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just got my CODE ClearMX keyboard in today. Just the few minutes of messing with it :aaaaa: :hawaaaafap: :swoon:

Definitely like it better than my Das. Guess I'm going to get another one :homebrew:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've looked into the warranty exchange for my K70 since it came up here, and apparently they don't actually make the Silver/Blue version anymore.

People with it are saying they've been offered the grimdark version, a K95, or a refund.

I don't really want a K95, it's too big. So I think I'm going to buy the RGB when it comes out and then take the refund option. From their website the new RGB switches seem to be made differently from the current terrible LED ones.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Out with the old keycaps

In with the new keycaps

Need to replace the 4 aux keys with something red/white. It's supposed to be University of Houston colors, not Shell Oil colors...

Also, my Poker II MX reds comes in on tuesday!!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I've looked into the warranty exchange for my K70 since it came up here, and apparently they don't actually make the Silver/Blue version anymore.

People with it are saying they've been offered the grimdark version, a K95, or a refund.

I don't really want a K95, it's too big. So I think I'm going to buy the RGB when it comes out and then take the refund option. From their website the new RGB switches seem to be made differently from the current terrible LED ones.

You sure? The K95 will take the K70's wrist rest if you happen to use that, but I do agree that it appears the upcoming board is going to be a step up in quality. I like my K60 (Dogen is still The loving Man), I like my K95, but it's lost additional lights since I last kvetched about that aspect of it and try as I might I can't just make that "ok" in my head - it's something I paid for, and they kinda hosed it up. I dunno, principle of the thing, we'll see how many LED deaths it takes for me to more actively pursue a replacement instead of politely declining for the time being on the grounds that it was just one key, I'm a touch typist anyway, etc. - I guess somewheres around five more, +/- 2 :p

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Agreed posted:

You sure? The K95 will take the K70's wrist rest if you happen to use that, but I do agree that it appears the upcoming board is going to be a step up in quality. I like my K60 (Dogen is still The loving Man), I like my K95, but it's lost additional lights since I last kvetched about that aspect of it and try as I might I can't just make that "ok" in my head - it's something I paid for, and they kinda hosed it up. I dunno, principle of the thing, we'll see how many LED deaths it takes for me to more actively pursue a replacement instead of politely declining for the time being on the grounds that it was just one key, I'm a touch typist anyway, etc. - I guess somewheres around five more, +/- 2 :p

There's a huge topic on Corsair's support forums about the failing LEDs on these.

Apparently blue ones fail more often but red does plenty of failing too.

I have 15 dead LEDs on mine. It actually does cause problems because some are numbers and I can't always remember which key which shift symbol is on.

I still have a year left on the warranty so if the RGB does come out in September like it's supposed to I have plenty of time to RMA it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So many LEDs are dead on my first run silver/blue I turned them all off a while back.

Still like the keyboard, though.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I was cleaning my keyboard and found this little dude:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Selklubber posted:

I was cleaning my keyboard and found this little dude:

Looks like some kind of caterpillar. Wonder how well it was living in your keyboard?

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Aren't the colorful ones with hair spines the poisonous kind?

Type D for Dead

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
That's probably a larder beetle larva. Their spines can cause skin irritation.

They usually go after crumbs, which probably explains why it's in your keyboard, you slob.

(http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/blarderb.html)

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I'll probably go to the store and buy a bottle of cleaning alcohol and douse my keyboard in it.

• Locked thread