Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Oddity posted:

I'm having a friendly argument with a friend about the "Free"ness of F2P games, especially LoL. Any of you guys have all the champs, but never spent any money on them? (skins are ok, since they don't affect gameplay)

And how long would it take if you played let's say 5 games a day, to get enough IP for all the champs?

i have every champion and every rune + enough IP for the rest if i ever decided to buy them and i have about 7000 games played. i got all the champs maybe 6000 games in. i havent ever purchased RP or purchased champions with free RP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oddity posted:

I'm having a friendly argument with a friend about the "Free"ness of F2P games, especially LoL. Any of you guys have all the champs, but never spent any money on them? (skins are ok, since they don't affect gameplay)

And how long would it take if you played let's say 5 games a day, to get enough IP for all the champs?

I've never bought a champion with RP and have them all. It took a while but I didn't play that many games a day. I also had a bunch of champions I never would have bothered with if I didn't have IP sitting there.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
I guess I should have qualified that, can you also mention how long you've played?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oddity posted:

I guess I should have qualified that, can you also mention how long you've played?

I've been playing since... Season 2 I guess? But I'm not as regular a player and I know more regular players have gotten every champion in less time.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
~four years? i've never actually thought "i cant play this champion i want to play because i cant afford them" though. most people dont actually play all of a roster of 100+ champs

verviticus, you've spent about 4510 hours on League of Legends which means 188 days of your life.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 9, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bubble-T posted:

More like James May imo

Hahahahaha

You are right

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Oddity posted:

It takes roughly 600,000 to buy every champ, max out rune pages, and pick up every relevant rune.

A couple of us here have done that. If youre a catch-em-all type, dont play f2p lol

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Verviticus posted:

~four years? i've never actually thought "i cant play this champion i want to play because i cant afford them" though. most people dont actually play all of a roster of 100+ champs

verviticus, you've spent about 4510 hours on League of Legends which means 188 days of your life.

Hey I forgot about that link, can I have it back? I wanna know how worthless I am

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

http://wastedonlol.com

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

tonetta, you've spent about 3733 hours on League of Legends which means 156 days of your life.
You are 3316th on NA servers and 16237th in the world.

Uhhhjh

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

wow im ~1000th and 4000th. theres a massive number of people between us for such a small gap in days

"You are 1052th on na servers and 4591th in the world."

i wonder if i could get my hours played and my world placement to be identical...

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, you people have played a whole hell of a lot more LoL than I have.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

moerketid, you've spent about 681 hours on League of Legends which means 28 days of your life.
You are 541365th on euw servers and 1757848th in the world.

This is way less bad than the ~2 years of my life spent on World of Warcraft.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Verviticus posted:

wow im ~1000th and 4000th. theres a massive number of people between us for such a small gap in days

"You are 1052th on na servers and 4591th in the world."

i wonder if i could get my hours played and my world placement to be identical...

Yeah when I found this thing back like 6 months ago I was way higher up, apparently not playing for quite awhile knocks you out of the high score range in a game that you can invest infinite time into!

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

moerketid posted:

moerketid, you've spent about 681 hours on League of Legends which means 28 days of your life.
You are 541365th on euw servers and 1757848th in the world.

This is way less bad than the ~2 years of my life spent on World of Warcraft.

Probably literally two years, lmao. That game is cancer

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Oddity posted:

It's hard to say exactly since there's a lot of factors going on here but I will attempt math for you.

Assuming I've not buggered up the numbers, all the champions combined would cost you 452,700 IP assuming you got Garen, Alistar and Tristana for free. Let's say your games last around 35 minutes and you lose every one but still somehow get your First Win Of The Day bonus (which is a flat 150 IP with no modifier) which should provide kind of a lowball estimate. League wiki says the formula for IP is calculated like this { [base IP] + ([IP / min] * [game time in minutes]) * [gamemode modifier] } and using some other crap from the wiki gives me:

{16 + (1.405*35)*1} = about 65 IP rounded down for a 35 minute loss. Five of those plus your win of the day would grant you about 476 IP a day. From that it would take you 952 days to gather enough IP for all of the champions. Now assuming you win all of them:

{18 + (2.312*35)*1} = About 99 IP for a 35 minute win. 645 IP a day so that would take 702 days or just under 2 years which assumes you win absolutely every game you play.

so its probably around two and a half years to get all of the champions

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

gokusamadesu, you've spent about 1026 hours on League of Legends which means 43 days of your life.
You are 201132th on na servers and 1246649th in the world

Tonetta posted:

My favourite little touch is how the game's time would change over time as you played. It was really useful because it let me know visually that I was playing that game for loving 8 straight hours one time

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Now add runes and rune pages

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Tonetta posted:

Yeah, there's a period of time at level 30 where you can't feasibly buy champions with IP because you have to grind out a poo poo ton of runes in order to be able to have decent rune pages.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Tonetta posted:

gently caress that noise, runes are poo poo. Screw the math and let's just say three years ok? Ok.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
Awesome, thanks for the math Succint. So I guess we were both kinda right - the game really is F2P if you have years, but to be successful without spending money, and without spending years, it's best to just pick some champs you want to excel at, and focus on runes afterwards. After that, you can start expanding your champ pool based on the runes you own, or picking up runes for other builds, and then getting the champs that go with them.

Needless to say, my path was different...I bought $100 worth of RP when they had that big RP sale last year, and I'm still milking it - when a champ went to 475rp sale, I snatched it up, and all the sub-6300 champs, I bought with IP. I took the fast track, but I had some extra money, and it was a thing I liked...so :)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

1700 hours, well now I know why I only got a 2.1 at uni rather than a first.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone has a Target store near by, today is the last day for 25% off all Steam/XBL/PSN/LoL cards.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I'll gi ahead and make the libertine post and suggest anybody who knows they will be in this game for more than a year, or like 30 days played, that throwing 100 at the game is a really good investment. I've thrown about 150 at the game over the course of 4 years and at over 150 full days invested in, or rather just under a buck a full day of playing time is probably my least expensive entertainment in my adult life.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I have been playing on and off since early beta (so I also got Rammus and Corki for free) and own about half of the champions. I think I dropped about $30 at one point. But I think it's silly to view unlocking all content as a marker of a game being free to play. I never need to own Volibear to fully enjoy the game.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

quote:

The Hustler

Plot summary
After losing to Fats, Eddie could spiral down to the scrapheap, but he meets Bert Gordon, a stakehorse. Bert teaches him about winning, or more particularly about losing. Tautly written, it is a treatise on how someone, with all of the skills, can lose if he "wants" to lose; how a loser is beaten by himself, not by his opponent; and how he can learn to win, if he can look deeply enough into himself.

Found this relevant.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Giodo! posted:

I have been playing on and off since early beta (so I also got Rammus and Corki for free) and own about half of the champions. I think I dropped about $30 at one point. But I think it's silly to view unlocking all content as a marker of a game being free to play. I never need to own Volibear to fully enjoy the game.

I was like this for Miss Fortune and Leblanc. I had way more than enough IP to buy either of the for a very long time but I avoided picking them up. Realistically I think most people playing League have like 10-15 champs they play a lot, and another 15 that they play once in a long drat while and anything else is like once every couple of months. I feel like I get a Veigar, Sion or Kog'maw game out once every two months just to get it outta my system

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Number 10 of the world with almost a full year played is Silver V lol

Servaetes posted:

I was like this for Miss Fortune and Leblanc. I had way more than enough IP to buy either of the for a very long time but I avoided picking them up. Realistically I think most people playing League have like 10-15 champs they play a lot, and another 15 that they play once in a long drat while and anything else is like once every couple of months. I feel like I get a Veigar, Sion or Kog'maw game out once every two months just to get it outta my system

My most played champions has shifted fairly far between seasons, I wish it hadn't though. RIP Top Xin.

Season 3: Xin, Teemo, Aatrox,Morg, Voli
Season 4: Morg, Shyv, Nami, Lux, Raka

But I get what you're saying. Every now and then I break out Teemo.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 9, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My friend always claims I'm only diamond because I play a lot, and he's silver 4. I looked, he has over 200 days played whereas I'm around 90. Of course, when I give him advice such as "rushing nashors tooth on Tristana is bad" he never listens, so I think it's mostly denial.

EDIT: Wait, no, I'm 81 days. And I've been playing since the first month of beta.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 9, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

My friend always claims I'm only diamond because I play a lot, and he's silver 4. I looked, he has over 200 days played whereas I'm around 90.

Lmao, challenged tier

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My most played champions has shifted fairly far between seasons, I wish it hadn't though. RIP Top Xin.

Season 3: Xin, Teemo, Aatrox,Morg, Voli
Season 4: Morg, Shyv, Nami, Lux, Raka

But I get what you're saying. Every now and then I break out Teemo.

Yeah. Over the years I think my general go-to's over the years were like

S1: Singed(botlane with a support holy god that was bad), Trundle, Lee, Rumble, Morde
S2: Riven, Rumble, Graves, GP, Skarner (toplane phase also Graves was super rad and cool)
S3: J4, Singed, Udyr, Hecarim, Skarner, Draven, Viktor (Turned into a jungle player because Verviticus bogarted toplane)
S4: Panth, Skarner, Draven, Udyr

I'll still once in a blue moon try to bust out Morde and weirder poo poo I don't play like Lux. A good buddy of mine set up a huge database of normals/ranked games and how many champions I played and of my friends I played the most champions at like 74 but I played like a single game of at least 50 of 74. A guy like Verv plays probably 10 champions period with very very little fluctuation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janna every season all season every role.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Servaetes posted:

S1: Singed(botlane with a support holy god that was bad), Trundle, Lee, Rumble, Morde
S2: Riven, Rumble, Graves, GP, Skarner (toplane phase also Graves was super rad and cool)
S3: J4, Singed, Udyr, Hecarim, Skarner, Draven, Viktor (Turned into a jungle player because Verviticus bogarted toplane)

I'll still once in a blue moon try to bust out Morde and weirder poo poo I don't play like Lux. A good buddy of mine set up a huge database of normals/ranked games and how many champions I played and of my friends I played the most champions at like 74 but I played like a single game of at least 50 of 74. A guy like Verv plays probably 10 champions period with very very little fluctuation.

I try to play something different almost every game in normals but in ranked I have about 5 champions a season.

S1: Sona for like all 10 of my ranked games.
S2: Ezreal to gold 1.
S3: Mf, Lucian, Morgana, and random mid laners.
S4: Morgana, Morgana, Morgana, Tristana, Lucian, Braum.

ImpAtom posted:

Janna every season all season every role.
Here's Janna with the seasonal forecast.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Servaetes posted:

Yeah I just looked at a similar site one of the dudes I've played with setup and I've got 68 champions played.

Oh and for posterity:

S1: Jarvan, Sona, Lux, Cho, Brand (the hell)
S2: GP, Udyr, Lux, Cait, Swain

I am mildly amused that Lux has been my most consistently played champion, even though I don't consider myself a mid laner at all. I guess because she's pretty much my go to when I get stuck midding?

--

GreyPowerVan posted:

I try to play something different almost every game in normals but in ranked I have about 5 champions a season.

Since I started actually mostly playing ranked, I still have a pretty wide range of champions I've played. Like last season, I had like 20 champions with more than 10 games played each.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/20473167#ranked-stats

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

GreyPowerVan posted:

My friend always claims I'm only diamond because I play a lot, and he's silver 4. I looked, he has over 200 days played whereas I'm around 90. Of course, when I give him advice such as "rushing nashors tooth on Tristana is bad" he never listens, so I think it's mostly denial.

EDIT: Wait, no, I'm 81 days. And I've been playing since the first month of beta.

That site is really really horribly wrong for a number of reasons.. it's really nowhere close considering it doesn't know win rates, doesn't know your game lengths, queue times, forever etc

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Tonetta posted:

Yes, I meant literally two years ingame. :smith: I was a semi-hardcore raid guild GM for 3 years and it was a full-time job p much. I quit it early this year though and prefer how casual League is (for me).

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

skystream92 posted:

Thornmail: They have a lot of AD and Randuins isn't enough armor.

Thornmail: They have a 4 AD team and you want them to build Tears of the Goddess instead.

---

Tellysavalas, you've spent about 2272 hours on League of Legends which means 95 days of your life.
You are 37528th on NA servers and 204651th in the world.

Definitely way less than WOW. The best thing about WOW was not being able to add up /played across all your characters.

I looked back through my lolking old season stats and tried to remember which champions were my main go-tos each season, I think it was something like this across the roles (I started playing at the end of Season 1 but probably wasn't any good at the game at all until at least a year later):

S2: Soraka, Varus, Ziggs, Skarner, Wukong
S3: Sona, Corki, Orianna, Nasus, Shen
S4: Thresh, Sivir, Orianna, Evelynn, Shyvana

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Biowarfare posted:

That site is really really horribly wrong for a number of reasons.. it's really nowhere close considering it doesn't know win rates, doesn't know your game lengths, queue times, forever etc

It's probably just based on average game length, which you're probably going to be close to one you play 1000 games

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

quote:

flint60, you've spent about 718 hours on League of Legends which means 30 days of your life.

Considering I've been playing this since the start of season 1, it could be worse.

As for the mains:

S1: morgana, ryze, janna, kassadin, anivia, shen, fidle, kayle, mundo, nasus

S2: kassadin, anivia, mf, mundo, yorick, nasus, lulu, soraka

S3: nasus, malzahar, lulu, varus, mf, kog, soraka

s4: renekton, lulu, darius, ww, nasus, kog, jinx, mf, malzahar

AParadox fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
S3-J4, nasus, MF, hecarim, rammus, Zac, gragas.
S4 Vi-x10, Amumu, Rammus, Nasus, Shyvana, MF, thresh, Galio, Xin, Scarner

• Locked thread