Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Boris might be a legernd (or however we're spelling that to imply that he and anyone who likes him is a dick) but does he like tits daily? Because David "man of the people (who own a yacht)" Cameron apparently does.

Nothing more common than ogling knockers.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Cameron gets to see IDS and Gideon on a daily basis. If he didn't like seeing tits daily that would be unbearable.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Perhaps No 10 should've taken one of these multiple opportunities to stop the official twitter account of the Prime minister following such ridiculous things?

if you read the article you'd see the spokesperson saying that they are clearing it out as they see them.

but there's loving thousands of them. it's hardly a reasonable use of time to have someone sitting and going through the list. it's causing no harm anyway since nobody will ever look at the account's timeline.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Cerv posted:

if you read the article you'd see the spokesperson saying that they are clearing it out as they see them.

but there's loving thousands of them. it's hardly a reasonable use of time to have someone sitting and going through the list. it's causing no harm anyway since nobody will ever look at the account's timeline.

Why do you think God invented interns?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

no wages but there's still an opportunity cost

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What the gently caress are fundamental British values anyway?

Queueing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What the gently caress are fundamental British values anyway?

Not questioning our genocidal past.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tea, biscuits, the Queen, racism.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

El Scotch posted:

Tea, biscuits, the Queen, racism.

Golliwogs

notaspy posted:

Why do you think God invented interns?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jedit posted:

Apparently Manchester Town Hall want to ban pro-Palestine protests on King Street because they're anti-Semitic. Why did I have to come home for a weekend?

I work in town and honestly when the protestors have been shouting "gas the Jews" and putting graffiti and banging windows of shops that are just near an Israeli owned shop then even I think they might have gone a bit far. I know Jewish people who are scared to even go into the city centre at the moment.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Who is this Tits Daily person anyway?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zombywuf posted:

Who is this Tits Daily person anyway?
?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I work in town and honestly when the protestors have been shouting "gas the Jews" and putting graffiti and banging windows of shops that are just near an Israeli owned shop then even I think they might have gone a bit far. I know Jewish people who are scared to even go into the city centre at the moment.

Alright, that's probably a fair cop

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Bloody hell. Yeah, that is a several steps too far. People should hate on the Israeli government due to all the civilians they've bombed maimed and killed but yeah, that stuff is definitely beyond the pale. Even beyond the fact that you're scaring the daylight out of people who have as little responsibility with what's going on in Israel than the average UK citizen has for the Iraq war it also harms the cause they say they are fighting for immensely. Bah.

Anyway, I just came across this gem from Osborne, I don't remember it being shared here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...revolution.html

He is commissioning studies to make the City ready for the forthcoming cryptocurrency revolution...

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013

Munin posted:

He is commissioning studies to make the City ready for the forthcoming cryptocurrency revolution...
I saw this too! What with the Tory MP who got mad about his WoW sword and now bitcoin, all we need is a story about reddit and we've got internet stereotype bingo

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

oooh, came across more Osborne bashing. Apparently our triumphant economic recovery has been the slowest recovery since the South Sea Bubble over 300 years ago:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...le-9645218.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Munin posted:

Bloody hell. Yeah, that is a several steps too far. People should hate on the Israeli government due to all the civilians they've bombed maimed and killed but yeah, that stuff is definitely beyond the pale. Even beyond the fact that you're scaring the daylight out of people who have as little responsibility with what's going on in Israel than the average UK citizen has for the Iraq war it also harms the cause they say they are fighting for immensely.

The average UK citizen may have no personal responsibility for what is happening in Gaza, but at the same time I don't recall hearing about leaders of the Jewish community here saying that Israel are going too far. This is literally "We're only supporting systematic mass murder, not committing it - why do they hate us?"

E: what I'm saying is that even if both sides are in the wrong, the Muslims at least have an understandable reason for being out of control.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Jedit posted:

The average UK citizen may have no personal responsibility for what is happening in Gaza, but at the same time I don't recall hearing about leaders of the Jewish community here saying that Israel are going too far. This is literally "We're only supporting systematic mass murder, not committing it - why do they hate us?"

E: what I'm saying is that even if both sides are in the wrong, the Muslims at least have an understandable reason for being out of control.

It's true and I agree but if stuff like this is really going on then it becomes a great excuse to pretend that anti-Israel = anti-Semitic. The I/P thread has a few Hasbara types repeatedly linking whatever scattered examples they can find, and even the Guardian today is suggesting that the two are basically the same.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

So I'm okay to blame all Muslims for the 7/7 bombing because not enough "leaders of the community" have condemned what happened by my particular metric? Good to know.

e: What I'm saying is that both sides are in the wrong, the EDF at least have an understandable reason for being out of control

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Obliterati posted:

It's true and I agree but if stuff like this is really going on then it becomes a great excuse to pretend that anti-Israel = anti-Semitic. The I/P thread has a few Hasbara types repeatedly linking whatever scattered examples they can find, and even the Guardian today is suggesting that the two are basically the same.

It was linked to probably a few dozen hundred pages back on the I/P thread now, but hasbara types have actually been known to drop into protests to try and stir up poo poo- not saying there aren't a bunch of bigoted shitheads doing it too because there is a fair bit of actual anti-Semitism in the UK, but it is a hasbara ploy to roll up with bigoted posters/placards long enough to get a few shots of them in the crowd then gently caress off so they can paint the entire protest as the next Kristallnacht.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the EDF at least have an understandable reason for being out of control

Fuckers tried to charge me twice on my 'leccy bill, bastards!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Oh for gently caress's sake, we're employing polygraphs now.

The Guardian posted:

Lie detector tests monitoring the behaviour of released sex offenders across England and Wales have begun this week, amid calls for the technology to be used more widely in police investigations.

The tests are now compulsory for high-risk sex offenders let out on licence.

Seven probation officers and four police officers have completed training to operate polygraph machines that measure changes in pulse, skin conductivity and breathing in order to assess whether individuals are telling the truth.

The probation officers and police constables have undergone an 11-week training course coordinated by Don Grubin, professor of forensic psychiatry at Newcastle University. The first tests by probation officers, under supervision, were carried out in London and Leeds on offenders this week; officers will begin operating on their own in the coming months.

The Ministry of Justice's enthusiasm for polygraph machines follows a successful trial report in 2012 which concluded that it "increased the chances that a sexual offender under supervision in the community will reveal information relevant to their management, supervision, treatment, or risk assessment".

Oh but that's not all...

The Guardian posted:

Grubin said he has received expressions of interest from other police forces who are interested in lie detectors for investigations and held discussions with those who think it could be useful in the pre-employment screening of those who work with children.

Let paedogeddon commence...

Is everyone involved in this a credulous fool?

Thankfully it seems not...but they're being ignored.

The Guardian posted:

Many scientists are sceptical about the effectiveness of polygraph testing. Dr Síle Lane, campaign director at Sense About Science, condemned the introduction of lie detectors. "They are not accurate," she said. "They have been shown time and time again not to be able to detect lies. If they work at all it is as a deterrent effect. It's because someone has been told an untruth that they work.

"When police forces are using them to make decisions about someone's liberty in the justice system, that's appalling. The Ministry of Justice needs to answer some questions about why they are spending this money."

A report by the British Psychological Society in 2004 concluded that: "The results of better quality research studies demonstrate that while the correct classification of deceivers can sometimes be fairly high, incorrect decisions about who is or is not being deceptive occur at rates that are far from negligible. Use of countermeasures may well result in deceivers not being detected."

Still, we've let the charlatans into our criminal justice system...

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

TinTower posted:

So the Morning Star think the public don't have a right to know if an elected union official is a rapist domestic abuser because it might make the union look bad, and will threaten to sack any journalists who challenge that.

:negative:

That's some worryingly SWP-y behaviour from them. I hope a change of leader will help, though not sure if Richard Bagley is actually leaving or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So I'm okay to blame all Muslims for the 7/7 bombing because not enough "leaders of the community" have condemned what happened by my particular metric? Good to know.

e: What I'm saying is that both sides are in the wrong, the EDF at least have an understandable reason for being out of control

I think you will find there is a minor difference between a handful of fanatics setting off a bomb and the legitimate elected government of a nation ordering its armed forces to enact a genocide.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jedit posted:

It also doesn't help that Israel considers every Jew in the world (apart from the black ones) a rightful citizen of Israel and they just haven't returned home yet. It's hardly surprising that Jews worldwide are being held accountable for Israel's actions when Israel goes out of its way to conflate Jewish person and Israeli. Disgusting and counterproductive, but hardly surprising.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

HortonNash posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, we're employing polygraphs now.

Oh but that's not all...

Let paedogeddon commence...

Is everyone involved in this a credulous fool?

Thankfully it seems not...but they're being ignored.

Still, we've let the charlatans into our criminal justice system...

Oh please, they're not called "lie detectors" for nothing :smuggo:

I agree though they are terrible. Don't they just measure things like heart rate and sweatiness? i.e. markers of anxiety or nervousness rather than lies.

It's great that this time last year some guy got jailed for selling sticks on a box as a bomb detector to 3rd world countries, and now our judicary want to use a similarly lovely technology (perhaps even worse since there's a shred of legitimacy to polygraphs).

:negative:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You can fool a polygraph 100% of the time by biting your tongue hard before you answer a question. They are literally on the same plane as reading the stars or reading tea leaves.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

We are living in an episode of Jeremy Kyle.

What do you reckon there's a higher up who has a mate who manufactures the machines?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

winegums posted:

Don't they just measure things like heart rate and sweatiness? i.e. markers of anxiety or nervousness rather than lies.

Heart rate, blood pressure, breathing rate, skin conductivity (sweatiness) are the main ones measured, but they also put sensors under your bum to make sure you're not clenching your anus (a trick to deceive the examiner is to clench your anal sphincter hard).

It's all down to the interpretation of the traces by the examiner, and that's entirely subjective and two different examiners will often disagree.

It's a big ol' scam.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

We are living in an episode of Jeremy Kyle.

What do you reckon there's a higher up who has a mate who manufactures the machines?

Or someone went to a demo at a conference somewhere and got taken in by a salesman.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Prof who is shilling it is making bank from this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Penn and Teller are two huge lolbertarians but they did a pretty good episode of Bullshit on polygraphs. They are entirely bullshit and virtually all usable information usually comes from the post and pre test interviews as the entire procedure is designed to worry and scare people into having a frank conversation with the bullshit peddler doing the test.

They have been inadmissible in courts for quite some time and for good reason.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I think you will find there is a minor difference between a handful of fanatics setting off a bomb and the legitimate elected government of a nation ordering its armed forces to enact a genocide.

...is literally the justification used by Israel for bombing the poo poo out of Palestine.

Collective punishment, whether done by artillery lobbed into Gaza or a brick through the window of a schmutter shop, is not okay. Like "is an actual war crime if done by a state" levels of not okay - and one would hope Israel of all nations would be aware of the problems of collective punishment but there you go.

You can't justify violence against Jewish people simply because they are Jewish (which is the situation I was referring to) without putting yourself in some very, very unpleasant company.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ddraig posted:

It also doesn't help that Israel considers every Jew in the world (apart from the black ones and the Arab ones (Mizrahi)) a rightful citizen of Israel and they just haven't returned home yet. It's hardly surprising that Jews worldwide are being held accountable for Israel's actions when Israel goes out of its way to conflate Jewish person and Israeli. Disgusting and counterproductive, but hardly surprising.

I've spent time in Israel and the racial politics within it are insane even before we get to the non-Jewish population. It's almost wrong to call it apartheid because that was a much simpler two-tier system. A white Christian has an easier time than a Falasha or Mizrahi.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Obliterati posted:

A white Christian has an easier time than a Falasha or Mizrahi.

Christians can't legally marry though can they? They have to head over to Cyprus for that.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Has anyone got any further info on this article?
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/nun-tears-down-jihadi-flag-after-it-appeared-at-gates-of-tower-hamlets-estate-9656920.html
Someone just posted it on my Facebook but my bullshit detectors went off when I saw that it was from the Standard but also after reading the opening lines
containing the word "similar".

Edited for being written rather badly on my phone.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Cross posting from idiots on social media thread:

Ilyich posted:

Posted by someone in D&D:

It comes from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJEPB9hJmQc

It's a competition where children recite verses from the Quran to win prizes. The girl is crying because she made a mistake and didn't think she'd get a prize. Louise Mensch is a former Tory MP here in the UK, and even by Tory standards is staggeringly stupid.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Why would you even share depraved poo poo like that, regardless of whether it's true? It's like the Twitter version of ogrish.org.

You'd have to get off on misery, as long as it confirms your world view, or some poo poo.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

ufarn posted:

Why would you even share depraved poo poo like that, regardless of whether it's true? It's like the Twitter version of ogrish.org.

You'd have to get off on misery, as long as it confirms your world view, or some poo poo.

Mensch is a terrible person, so she probably just made up that bullshit in her tweet on the spot.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

Praseodymi posted:

Cross posting from idiots on social media thread:

Jesus loving Christ, I just went through her feed to find it and it's loving disgusting. It's like she's gone completely insane, just an endless stream of pictures celebrating the US bombing. ISIS are loving disgusting people, but I still find such naked glee unsavory, especially considering the possibilities of civilian casualties. Perhaps a good insight into what Tory politicians would be like if not 'in the public eye'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I hope someone tracks down that presenter and introduces him to Carter-Ruck. I'd bet there are a couple of firms hunting for him already.

• Locked thread