Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Not Very Metal posted:

Boris is playing saturday with the atlas moth and I'm pretty excited.

This was a great show. I've seen Boris many times, but I had been wanting to see both of the other bands for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

ChickenArise posted:

This was a great show. I've seen Boris many times, but I had been wanting to see both of the other bands for a while now.

I saw Boris like five years ago and remember them playing a lot of songs from pink and akuma, but I've heard this setlist is way more doomy. I thought Ash Borer was supporting but either i'm dumb or they changed the lineup, but it's been a great excuse to get back into atlas moth. I've never heard of subrosa but whatever because this is a tiny venue and boris.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Not Very Metal posted:

I saw Boris like five years ago and remember them playing a lot of songs from pink and akuma, but I've heard this setlist is way more doomy. I thought Ash Borer was supporting but either i'm dumb or they changed the lineup, but it's been a great excuse to get back into atlas moth. I've never heard of subrosa but whatever because this is a tiny venue and boris.

They've been playing this set on this tour:

Melody
Vanilla
Pink
Statement
Ghost of Romance
Heavy Rain
Taiyo no Baka
Cosmos
Angel
Quicksilver
Vomitself

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
poo poo I thought I was pretty up on their catalog but I only recognize about two of those songs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So I take it you haven't listened to their new album then? They were also playing a couple of them last year and I remember Cosmos (which I guess was an EP from 2012?) and Angel being really cool without knowing them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd never pass on a chance to see Boris live, no matter what the set list. They're just legends, plain and simple.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
One of the best things about Boris shows is that Atsuo is metal's only hype man.

re: that setlist above, for people who have seen them on this tour or don't mind being spoiled vomitself was in my top 5 moments at a concert. i was so sad when it ended, but so happy to have been there. SO LOUD

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Not Very Metal posted:

Subrosa is drat good gothy doom metal. Their latest is More Constant than the Gods and is streaming here.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I couldn't remember these being mentioned around here yet, so.

From Deep Space - Brunhilde (stoner rock)

Merlin - Christ Killer (psychedelic desert doom)

Clouds Taste Satanic - To Sleep Beyond The Earth (stoner doom)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheQat posted:

One of the best things about Boris shows is that Atsuo is metal's only hype man.

re: that setlist above, for people who have seen them on this tour or don't mind being spoiled vomitself was in my top 5 moments at a concert. i was so sad when it ended, but so happy to have been there. SO LOUD

The "YEEEAAAAAHH"s are never not great.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Merlin - Christ Killer (psychedelic desert doom)

I considered buying it on the strength of the second track, Execution; upon seeing that the record is based on Nick Cave's Gladiator II script, I could not resist.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I wasn't expecting to hear some new Uncle Acid so soon:
http://thequietus.com/articles/15933-uncle-acid-new-single

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The new YOB is mind-blowing. But that's hardly a surprise.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ElectricWizard posted:

Did you pick it up at a show? It hasn't released yet has it? I got mine pre-ordered.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Did you pick it up at a show? It hasn't released yet has it? I got mine pre-ordered.

I was lucky enough to get a promo copy. They've played "Unmask The Spectre" live though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSPq0FILlk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

Yesss, can't wait to listen to it. I've only heard positive things so far.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I wasn't expecting to hear some new Uncle Acid so soon:
http://thequietus.com/articles/15933-uncle-acid-new-single

This is great news. I still queue up Mind Control every couple weeks.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

ElectricWizard posted:

Ugh I hate you! I'm praying there's no delay on the LP, don't wanna spend extra for an MP3 version if I don't have to. God I love YOB.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Uta Plotkin is leaving Witch Mountain after this tour + their new album :(

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/frontwoman-uta-plotkin-to-leave-witch-mountain-after-release-of-new-album-mobile-of-angels.html

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd never pass on a chance to see Boris live, no matter what the set list. They're just legends, plain and simple.

I completely agree, and this is how you lose track of how many times you've seen them (along with High on Fire, Pelican, the Melvins, The Sword, Torche, Isis, and Tool)

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Reading this led me to discover their tour will be taking them just a half hour from me, so thanks!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

This sucks so much. Loved the style they had, hope they keep being good and she continues to be in bands.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

hey, is there any doom/stoner metal with heavy world music instrumentation (throat singing, weird instruments etc)?

the ideal band i'm looking for sounds like a mixture between electric wizard and master musicians of bukkake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cXcLiRj31c i guess

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Whorelord posted:

hey, is there any doom/stoner metal with heavy world music instrumentation (throat singing, weird instruments etc)?

the ideal band i'm looking for sounds like a mixture between electric wizard and master musicians of bukkake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cXcLiRj31c i guess

Haha god dammit. I seriously spent a number of years immersed in Persian music, learned various cool weird instruments, but never until your post thought of combining that with doom. Sure there's MMoB (I know you mentioned doom mixed with them), but that's just doom and stoner guys doing the world thing, not a blend of the two.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Gasmask posted:

Haha god dammit. I seriously spent a number of years immersed in Persian music, learned various cool weird instruments, but never until your post thought of combining that with doom. Sure there's MMoB (I know you mentioned doom mixed with them), but that's just doom and stoner guys doing the world thing, not a blend of the two.

lets form a band then bro

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

If anyone else is off to see High On Fire at the Underworld, I'll be around. Short, ginger, Sunn shirt. Feel free to say hi/avoid.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TheQat posted:

A few pics from the DC show:

http://imgur.com/SmXiVQp
http://imgur.com/vyiYEPn
http://imgur.com/A6hVDxz (the setlist for those who don't want to know)

First time seeing them and I actually excepted them to be much louder. Amazing show either way.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Whorelord posted:

lets form a band then bro

If you do, be sure to come to Edmonton when you go on tour, so I can go.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
holy poo poo boris was absolutely crushing tonight. I don't think wata changed her facial expression once. atlas moth was pretty great too, very laid back and interacted with the crowd a bit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hell yeah just found out that Earth are playing near me tomorrow night. I haven't seen them in a few years (I think since Coma Mirror) but I assume they're still awesome and crushing?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Hell yeah just found out that Earth are playing near me tomorrow night. I haven't seen them in a few years (I think since Coma Mirror) but I assume they're still awesome and crushing?

they were good when i saw them a few months back. they played a few songs off the new album as well

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

holy poo poo boris was absolutely crushing tonight. I don't think wata changed her facial expression once. atlas moth was pretty great too, very laid back and interacted with the crowd a bit.

I had some friends that went just for SubRosa... then left.

...I need some new friends.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
I always get a bit sad the day after seeing Boris because I know they're playing another city and I'm not there.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I had some friends that went just for SubRosa... then left.

...I need some new friends.

Wow so they stayed for 3 songs. Too bad their set wasn't longer I was just getting warmed up when they had to give up the stage.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
New Pallbearer is up for streaming:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/510-foundations-of-burden/

EDIT: 3 listens. Seriously digging this.

OpaqueEcho fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 12, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Finally here's a full track from the new Yob album:
Unmask The Spectre : http://www.stereogum.com/1697670/yob-unmask-the-spectre-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I want to see Yob live so badly.

Mandactyl
Jun 1, 2011

A kinder, gentler herpes
Grimey Drawer
Jesus I need to move to Portland.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah. I would love to see Danava.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just back from seeing Earth for the third time in the last 4 years. Such a great band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

There's not rly an uninteresting track on this new Pallbearer. It's just great.