Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
The police reform thread, in case anyone wants to go talk about police stuff some more. Standard political fare is depressing enough, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would be the ideal police response to this? They can't very well just admit that the bad guys are unstoppable and go home.

I live pretty close to where that happened and the cops literally went to a local gun store and purchased (or borrowed, it's been a while) a few high powered rifles and used them on those two which caused them to flee. Also, after that the department started equipping and training experienced sergeants with AR-15's (instead of the usual shotguns in patrol cars) which honestly isn't an overreaction to that at all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ThirdPartyView posted:

Not really, particularly since there's already a cop chat floating around.

Warmachine posted:

It beats gun chat! :cop:
hth

nachos posted:

The war on drugs -> every politician is "tough on crime" -> massively increased police budgets ever since -> militarized police force everywhere to justify that spending

Funny, I think the same problem happens with education, where politicians are nominally pro-children and want to reform education (whether or not they are anti intellectual. I can't say I've heard of a politician even in the darkest depths of evangelical America who thinks kids shouldn't be able to read and count.), and generally use education as a positive plank. Inevitably, the reform is a token measure that doesn't solve the problem, be it teaching from the legislature or throwing money aimlessly, and we end up spinning tires and going nowhere. Then the same voices now have cause to cut spending because "we are clearly wasting our money!"

If a friend of mine is to be believed, it's a product of politicians in short term positions like the house having to, essentially, campaign constantly thanks to their short terms. They make as much flash and thunder as they can, but lacking time to care about the issues, nothing actually gets done.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it because of militarization of the police, or is it just because cops are racists?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it because of militarization of the police, or is it just because cops are racists?

Can't it be both?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ThirdPartyView posted:

Can't it be both?

It frequently is. Other times its handing a bunch of deadly military hardware to a bunch of guys that are above the law and know it. There just isn't accountability and, politically speaking, Americans aren't interested in passing laws that would actually reduce crime, though slowly over time, but are quite interested in making Those People suffer. "Tough on crime" is an easy platform to run on and you have poo poo loads of people applaud and assume guilt whenever the police kill somebody. There is no "gently caress man, that could have been me!" whenever an innocent is gunned down or something happens like a SWAT team going to the wrong house on a no knock warrant. It's just "welp, that's the price we pay for law and order!"

Warmachine posted:

Funny, I think the same problem happens with education, where politicians are nominally pro-children and want to reform education (whether or not they are anti intellectual. I can't say I've heard of a politician even in the darkest depths of evangelical America who thinks kids shouldn't be able to read and count.), and generally use education as a positive plank. Inevitably, the reform is a token measure that doesn't solve the problem, be it teaching from the legislature or throwing money aimlessly, and we end up spinning tires and going nowhere. Then the same voices now have cause to cut spending because "we are clearly wasting our money!"

If a friend of mine is to be believed, it's a product of politicians in short term positions like the house having to, essentially, campaign constantly thanks to their short terms. They make as much flash and thunder as they can, but lacking time to care about the issues, nothing actually gets done.

Politicians say and do whatever it takes to get themselves reelected. That's it. That's literally their job. A politicians loves and adores children just enough to get 51% of the vote and blames teachers for how stupid our children are just enough to get 51% of the vote.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Agents are GO! posted:

Care to drop A link to that thread? After reading the posts between yours and this one I could use it. :suicide:

There's also the YOSPOS cat tread.

Featuring Sonja and Beyoncé and the heartwarming tale of Walter the kitten rescued from a meth-house who is now a floofy lovable shithead. Also 3660 pages of other cats.

It is a good place to go when politics gets you down.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

haveblue posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would be the ideal police response to this? They can't very well just admit that the bad guys are unstoppable and go home.
SWAT teams. Special operations forces. Not militarizing the entire police force.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Somehow every 2 years I manage to forget how soul crushing phone banking is. 3 hours of it today and the only progress I made was identifying the stuff we needed to track when we got rejected.

Also, if I go to another event where the Dem challenger has Pitbull's "Timber" playing because "the Republican is GOING DOWN!" I'm going to vote straight ticket R out of spite.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, if I go to another event where the Dem challenger has Pitbull's "Timber" playing because "the Republican is GOING DOWN!" I'm going to vote straight ticket R out of spite.

I feel the same way about "Taking It To The Streets."

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

I feel the same way about "Taking It To The Streets."

I find it hard to listen to Heart's "Barracuda" any more. Politicians should be required to compose their own music.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Fried Chicken posted:

Somehow every 2 years I manage to forget how soul crushing phone banking is. 3 hours of it today and the only progress I made was identifying the stuff we needed to track when we got rejected.

I go to my first one of the season tomorrow night. I find it bizarre how aspie I get about refining the process down to this insanely mechanical, efficient thing where I can tick my checkboxes from the last call while the phone rings for the next one. I find the most soul crushing thing the amount of numbers that are simply disconnected.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I remember back in 08 Obama was running ads with The National's Fake Empire, which was a great song but not really what I think of as a hopeful or energizing song.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SavageBastard posted:

I go to my first one of the season tomorrow night. I find it bizarre how aspie I get about refining the process down to this insanely mechanical, efficient thing where I can tick my checkboxes from the last call while the phone rings for the next one. I find the most soul crushing thing the amount of numbers that are simply disconnected.

Yep. Out of my list maybe a third were wrong or disconnected.

Ideally, if you had the money and volunteers, every 6 months the local party would throw some sort of party. And you would get the word out by phonebanking. So every few months you updated the list of information to keep it accurate, and the people who turned out for the party would be the ones you flag to priority mobilize in the election cycle. You don't spend the summer months leading up to an election trying to update all the information because you have kept it up to date all along, and you have a core to pull your volunteers and donors from instead of scrambling to get bodies so you can do the wide netbuilding.

But that would require your political organization to act in an organized manner, and that ain't happening.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Zeroisanumber posted:

I remember back in 08 Obama was running ads with The National's Fake Empire, which was a great song but not really what I think of as a hopeful or energizing song.

I know, right? That was a very odd choice on his campaign people's part.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Ideally, if you had the money and volunteers, every 6 months the local party would throw some sort of party. And you would get the word out by phonebanking. So every few months you updated the list of information to keep it accurate, and the people who turned out for the party would be the ones you flag to priority mobilize in the election cycle. You don't spend the summer months leading up to an election trying to update all the information because you have kept it up to date all along, and you have a core to pull your volunteers and donors from instead of scrambling to get bodies so you can do the wide netbuilding.

But that would require your political organization to act in an organized manner, and that ain't happening.

This is whats been done in Illinois and how I got into politics. The really successful sub-state candidates are the ones who throw the best 4th of July BBQs, best labor day beer tents and free food, send Thanksgiving turkeys and annual Christmas cards, invite folks to a New Year's Gala ($100 starting ask, minimum $15 hard), and fund a few kegs on Memorial Day. Even then, all the kegs in the world can't save you from extreme events like the Tea Party wave in 2010; however, they will get you an appointment should you lose your seat.

Maybe it would be cheaper if you could just buy votes, it certainly wouldn't spread the economic growth of campaigning throughout the year.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

This is whats been done in Illinois and how I got into politics. The really successful sub-state candidates are the ones who throw the best 4th of July BBQs, best labor day beer tents and free food, send Thanksgiving turkeys and annual Christmas cards, invite folks to a New Year's Gala ($100 starting ask, minimum $15 hard), and fund a few kegs on Memorial Day. Even then, all the kegs in the world can't save you from extreme events like the Tea Party wave in 2010; however, they will get you an appointment should you lose your seat.

Maybe it would be cheaper if you could just buy votes, it certainly wouldn't spread the economic growth of campaigning throughout the year.

Nice, when I suggested that to the DeKalb county Dems back in 2010-2011 that got ignored. i'm glad at least some of them are doing it

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Nice, when I suggested that to the DeKalb county Dems back in 2010-2011 that got ignored. i'm glad at least some of them are doing it

Not cost effective in DeKalb. Despite what some would believe, the D's in IL don't have have Rauner-level money, and have to make do with limited resources. If you'd be willing to share your experiences, I'd love to talk more on this in the dedicated ILPol thread.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Fried Chicken posted:

That's a good idea but it seems like our crew is consistently organized by recent college grads who aren't going to ever be around 2 years from now to do it the next time.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I like the republicans method. Just take an artist's song without permission, strangely usually a song or artist that is fairly progressive, then get sued by the artist and have to stop using it.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Zeroisanumber posted:

While in line to see Obama speak during the 08 election, they played "Won't get Fooled Again". Meet the new boss - same as the old boss.

I don't think they vetted that music choice well enough.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not cost effective in DeKalb. Despite what some would believe, the D's in IL don't have have Rauner-level money, and have to make do with limited resources. If you'd be willing to share your experiences, I'd love to talk more on this in the dedicated ILPol thread.

I'll pop in, I just have to think how to anonomize things. Through "circumstances" I ended up being a bystander and somehow person who would passively listen to people from both "sides" vent when they transitioned between leadership and the "sides" that resulted from the changes. it was... interesting.

There really needs to be something like the Secrets app so everyone stuck in the middle of this poo poo can vent with other campaign workers. I'm convinced that, all other divides aside, the people working Ted Cruz's campaign complain about the same stunts their candidate pulls as the people working Dick Durbin's campaign do.

case in point (and a quote any northern IL campaign worker will recognize) "Yeah, I know you said I should shake hands at Pumpkin Fest instead of marching playing the guitar, but look, this district has been represented by a guitar playing guy for years. I don't think people want to lose their singing rep. Why do you think I've been taking lessons?"

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

SgtScruffy posted:

While in line to see Obama speak during the 08 election, they played "Won't get Fooled Again". Meet the new boss - same as the old boss.

I don't think they vetted that music choice well enough.
Maybe Obama is just a fan of drum solos.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

isildur posted:

I find it hard to listen to Heart's "Barracuda" any more. Politicians should be required to compose their own music.

I have a feeling it'd mostly sound something similar to this.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

This really captures what I imagine experiencing existential cosmic terror might be like.

E: It's like you think you know you're about to experience something bad and then it happens and its worse than you ever could imagine. Music is such a cool way to convey the otherwise unspeakable.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 11, 2014

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

isildur posted:

This only happens in my dreams. And Poland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHBN-Qyrow

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

isildur posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLQI8X2R6Y

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

nutranurse posted:

This really captures what I imagine experiencing existential cosmic terror might be like.

E: It's like you think you know you're about to experience something bad and then it happens and its worse than you ever could imagine. Music is such a cool way to convey the otherwise unspeakable.
More like the Innsmouth Sinfonia.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I'll just... leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4IjHz2yIo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I really needed to have a few drinks in me before I watched that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bobtheconqueror posted:

I suppose you could do that instead of a traditional SWAT, but the National Guard, like the Reserves, is usually just the one weekend a month thing, so fast response times would be difficult. Not a bad idea, though, actually using a military force when military effort is called for, like Grand Theft Auto. It's probably politically unfeasible. The National Guard was called up during the Civil Rights Movement and Hippie stuff, but I can't think of anything more recent.

LA Riots were a pretty good use of the national guard and I it wasn't for political reasons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
"Good use" as in civil society had degraded to the point you needed humvees on the streets. I remember the riots distinctly.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

FCKGW posted:

LA Riots were a pretty good use of the national guard and I it wasn't for political reasons.

Oh right. I was a young'n when that went down, so I only remembered it as the first big example of the cops getting caught with their pants down cause somebody had a camera. Didn't realize the rioting got that out of hand. Imagine if city-wide rioting was still happening whenever the cops brutalized somebody and got caught out and then nothing happened. Society would have crumbled in the last few years, or, alternatively, we'd have better enforcement of abuse regulations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Came here to post this. Orrin Hatch could write songs for the entire GOP Senate caucus, too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Care to drop A link to that thread? After reading the posts between yours and this one I could use it. :suicide:

I run off and hind HERE when it gets a bit much.

Dog pictures help

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Erdoğan (Turkish PM) has his own songs for his campaign; this is one in Turkish and this one is in English and is a pro loving listen.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brought to you by Tim and Eric

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

isildur posted:

Be careful what you wish for:

http://time.com/2851467/thai-coup-junta-happiness-song/

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Really hope Barack exits the stage of his final address to "The Five Percent Nation Of ______" by Soul Coughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

We already have a really good idea what it will sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-B_yupEkPs

e,f;b

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 11, 2014

• Locked thread