Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

A few months ago xylo suggested running a roleplaying game for Auspol. Turns out that roleplaying monsters and monster hunters is a really nice distraction from the horrible state of Australian politics, and so we currently have three two active games here in the Game Room.

Current Auspol games:
Xylo's Old World of Darkness Werewolf game / OOC thread

LordPants' New World of Darkness Hunter game / OOC thread :rip:

Cartoon's Dungeons & Dragons 1e game / OOC thread

This game will be Geist: The Sin-Eaters. Think "The Crow", except less angsty. Here's what wikipedia has to say about the concept:

Players portray Sin Eaters who have died and returned to the world of the living. Unlike vampires, however, Sin Eaters (also called the Bound) are not undead, but rather living beings bound to fundamental forces of death. Upon the first death, every Sin Eater is approached by a Geist, an embodiment of an aspect or personification of death. In exchange for being returned to life, Sin Eaters allow the Geist to accompany them, effectively merging into each other in a symbiotic relation with the "human" in control. Upon this return to life, the Bound discover that they can see and interact with the restless shades of the dead, and must choose what to do with their second chance at life. In all instances, Sin Eaters are forced to deal with the dead, whether through altruism, greed, or just the plain fact that the dead will not leave them alone.

Geist has an unavoidable focus on death, but in many ways it's a celebration and not as gothy as you'd expect. You've been given a second chance, which is a drat good reason to have a sunny disposition. There's themes of Carnivale and the Mexican day of the dead, and hopefully will be a whole lot less broody than some of the other World of Darkness lines.

:siren:Post in this thread to sign up. I'm taking five to begin with. We'll leave at least a week or so for character creation, as there's a bit more to it than Hunter / Werewolf. If I've done a poo poo job explaining concepts just ask for clarification.:siren:

Random Starting Info
  • The game will be set in Canberra, in 2012. This is Canberra as it exists in the World of Darkness rather than actual Canberra. So it's a bit more grimdark, vampires are real, ghosts exist, and there are conspicuously more goths around. Being Canberra I'm going to try and bring some politics into the story, but while the LNP and ALP are part of Spooky-Canberra, individual politicians are not. So no characters that are current politicians, and we're not going to go on a parliament house killing spree - that'd get stupid real quick, and also I don't need the federales asking me questions about why I'm writing fantasies about killing Tories.

• The history of Canberra obviously extends far back before the city was established, but the game is mostly going to focus on white people history. I'm nowhere near educated or sensitive enough to write about the Ngunnawal people or other indigenous groups who lived here at various times, and trying to draw in their history into a story about vampires, werewolves and ghosts would be both hackneyed and disrespectful.

• I have no idea what I'm doing. I last DMed a roleplaying game when I was ten and haven't played a trad game since, until muscling in on the Auspol Hunter game a few months back. Expect loads of fuckups in both storytelling and game mechanics. Because I'm new to this, I'm going to restrict it to five players - I'll take an extra one or two in later chapters if it seems like we're managing ok.

• Milky pointed out that Geist isn't very good, and the general consensus in the World of Darkness thread is much the same. Powers are a bit unbalanced and it's lacking in an innate "drive" that other flavours of WoD have. On the other hand, a bunch of people in the WoD thread also reckon there's a good game buried in here somewhere and after giving some thought to which would be easier to tell a story with, Geist wins out. Also that way if the game spectacularly falls apart I can blame the setting rather than my own failings.

• Don't hold back on having conversations between yourselves, particularly when there's disagreements as to the course of action. It will add some great depth to the game, as opposed to just a neverending series of posts saying "my guy does this" and me rolling for success or failure.

• There's a couple of concepts that I'll explain as we're playing rather than all at the start. Don't be worried if you don't really follow all the things you need to fill out in character creation. You'll have the chance to change things on your character sheet after the prelude.

• I don't have great access to the net at work so most updates requiring rolls or consulting of notes will happen in the evening.

Character Concept

It's best to come up with a general concept for your character first, before diving into the character sheet. There's four things you need to come up with: Your character's backstory, how he or she died, the geist that offered you the bargain as you were on the cusp of death, and the keystone it offered to "seal the deal": basically any object between the size of a coin and a car.

The game will be kicking off pretty much just after you are geistified, so your character's backstory is going to be important. Only restriction is not dying of old age. Examples:

- A libertarian bitcoin enthusiast sleeps as the mining rig he's running in the spare room overheats and sets fire to the carpet.
- A starving University of Canberra student spots a field of mushrooms growing around an oak tree, and decides to add a bit of flavour to her two-minute noodles.
- A junior political staffer on a bushwalking date is desperately searching for a way to impress his companion after the conversation dries up, and figures it's time for a freeclimbing display on a nearby cliff face.

The Auspol werewolf game has David Boon and Alf Stewart, while the hunter game is played a little more straight. I don't mind either way but if you're gonna be Ita Buttrose or Sergeant Croyden from Blue Heelers you'll still need to do roleplaying stuff like character development as the game goes on.

Your geist is a bit less straightforward. Geists are usually described as somewhere between a ghost and a god. Once bound, you'll feel their presence in the back of your mind, or see them when you close your eyes. They're not usually malevolent, just... alien. Although they once were ghosts, they've evolved such that they're more ghosts of ideas, of stereotypes, than of people. They'll occasionally try to get you to do things, and get upset if you do things that go against their nature. Examples:

- The Redhead. Sometimes images of geists leak back into the real world. The iconic picture on the matchboxes doesn't do her justice. The air around her hair shimmers like the heat radiating from the road in summer. Her gift of keystone was a box of the matches bearing her image, that never seems to run out.
- The Army Doctor. Since the bonding you sometimes hear the distant fire of artillery and screams of the wounded. His uniform dates to the first World War. An armband bearing the red cross hangs off his shoulder, covered in mud. His gift of keystone was a single wooden crutch.
- The Greaser. Like a caricature of every 1950's bad boy, The Greaser's hair is slicked back, and he's wearing a white t-shirt, jeans, leather jacket, and Ray-Ban Wayfarers. His face, however, is blurry, indistinct, and fire dances behind his shades where his eyes should be. When you picture him in your mind, his head is constantly nodding to the beat of music you can't hear. His gift of keystone was a red 1959 Ford Thunderbird convertible.

Once you've got your concept sorted, it's time to create a character sheet for Geist.

Step 1: Character info

The first few fields are for some basic information about your character. Name and player are straightforward, chronicle is AUSPOL GEIST, concept can be left blank unless you can sum up your character in two or three words (e.g. Bitcoin Enthusiast, Broke Student, Outdoorsy Political Staffer, Ita Buttrose). Leave Archetype and Krewe blank for now. Virtue and Vice give some depth to your character, and can be used as a quick guide for how your character might respond to a given situation. They also can be used for regaining spendable points like willpower but I'll explain that properly later on.

Example Virtues: Hopeful, Loving, Honest, Humble, Trustworthy, Loyal, Just, Ambitious, Peaceful, Patient, Generous, Courageous.
Example Vices: Pessimistic, Hateful, Deceitful, Arrogant, Untrustworthy, Greedy, Corrupt, Hasty, Cruel, Ambitious, Violent.
Or feel free to make them up.

A big part of a character in Geist is how they "died", as it directly influences how the character uses their powers. Your character's death will fall under one of these headings, called "Thresholds":

The Torn: Death by violence
The Silent: Death by deprivation (suffocation, starvation, etc)
The Prey: Death by nature (exposure, animal attack, drowning)
The Stricken: Death by illness
The Forgotten: Death by chance

Step 2: Attributes, skills, specialties

You start with one point in each attribute. The columns are grouped such that the first column is for mental attributes, the second for physical, and the third for social. You have extra dots to be spent in a 5/4/3 ratio across the columns, it's your call which column gets which value. We're playing God Machine rules so there's no additional cost to start with five dots in a particular attribute.

Skills work much the same way, except you start with zero points in each. The split is 11/7/4 across the three groups of skills. Double-click on dots to remove them if you've added one to a skill by mistake.

Specialties are chosen by you to represent particular areas of skill, and to give a bit more flavour to your character. They'll give you a slight bonus when you're doing that specific thing. So for example Larceny (Shoplifting), Crafts (Mechanic) or Investigation (Computer Forensics). Make up three, and write them in the free space at the bottom of the character sheet.

Don't get too hung up on how you've distributed your initial points, you'll have the chance to adjust your character after the prelude if you're not happy with how it's all working.

Step 3: Sin-eater specifics

Besides thresholds there's a few other sin-eater characteristics: Plasm, psyche, synergy, keys, manifestations and ceremonies. To try and simplify it a bit we'll leave ceremonies out for now, I'll introduce a few of them as the story progresses.

Plasm is the mana of Geistgame. You'll all start with 7, and will have a maximum of 14.

Psyche represents the strength of your character in doing cool sin-eater stuff. It governs how big your total plasm pool is, and how much of it you can use at once. Y'all are starting with a psyche of 1.

Synergy is the health of the relationship between you and your geist. An explanation will come in game. You start at 7.

Keys and manifestations go hand in hand to make your powers work. Manifestations are generic special abilities that Sin-Eaters can perform, while the key controls how the manifestation, well, manifests. So for example if you pick "The Caul" as a manifestation (which allows a Sin-Eater to transform his or her body in some way), and you own the "Pyre-Flame" and "Primeval" keys, you would be able to perform "Pyre-Flame Caul", which causes your body to generate light and extreme amounts of heat, or "Primeval Caul", which allows you to acquire animal traits and even animal forms.

You'll start with three manifestation dots, which can be spread across one, two or three different manifestations. There's seven different manifestations in total:

The Boneyard: allows the Sin-Eater to assert control over her immediate environment, usually by triggering “haunting” effects.
The Caul: permits the Sin-Eater to reshape his own body as needed, often in esoteric and frightening ways.
The Curse: enables the Sin-Eater to afflict her enemies with strange curses and ailments, and to subtly influence their minds.
The Marionette: allows the Sin-Eater to control physical objects, animals, and even other people, manipulating their bodies like a twisted puppeteer.
The Oracle grants the Sin-Eater heightened sensory powers, clairvoyance, and even precognitive abilities.
The Rage: represents the Sin-Eater’s power to strike at others with pure, unadulterated power.
The Shroud: governs effects that alter or improve the Sin-Eater’s own body in some way, most often as a form of protection.

There's ten keys in total, with two keys associated with each threshold, shown below. Pick one from your threshold options, and choose one which you think best matches your geist - it's granted to you as a gift from the geist's keystone.

Torn: Stigmata or Passion
Silent: Stillness or Cold Wind
Prey: Primeval or Grave-Dirt
Stricken: Phantasm or Tear-Stained
Forgotten: Industrial or Pyre-Flame

So yeah, that means there's seventy different key-manifestation combos, and each one has different effects depending on how many dots you put into it. I'm not going to post them all but if you ask after particular ones I'll post them. I'll also give full details for whatever ones you pick.

Step 4: Merits

gently caress, this is getting long. You get seven dots to throw at merits. If you want to pick from the full list you can do so by taking a look through the God Machine Rules Update, a free download. Otherwise pick from the following reduced list (Thanks LP!). Merits marked "Style" are a bit different: they usually have some prerequisites so you'll need to check in with me before you pick them, and each level is a different tactic and needs to be bought separately, and sequentially. So for example you'll need to spend six merit dots to get Parkour level 3, which gives you "Flow" (•), "Cat Leap" (••) and "Wall Run" (•••).

quote:

Mental Merits:
Common Sense (•••), (You can make me roll to see if I have to tell you what to do once a day, or I will have to roll and may have to tell you if you're doing something really stupid)
Danger Sense (••),
Direction Sense (•),
Encyclopedic Knowledge (••),
Eye for the Strange (••),
Holistic Awareness (•••),
Language (•),
Meditative Mind (•),
Trained Observer (• or •••)

Physical Merits:
Ambidextrous (•••),
Crack Driver (•• or ••••),
Double Jointed (••),
Fleet of Foot (• to •••),
Giant (•••),
Hardy (• to •••),
Iron Stamina (• to •••),
Parkour (• to •••••, Style),
Quick Draw (•),
Quick Healer (••••),
Sleight of Hand (••),
Small Framed (••)

Social Merits:
Allies (• to •••••),
Barfly (••),
Contacts (• to •••••),
Fame (• to •••),
Inspiring (•••),
Iron Will (••),
Pusher (•),
Status (• to •••••),
Striking Looks (• or ••)

Fighting Merits:
Choke Hold (••),
Close Quarters Combat (• to •••••, Style),
Defensive Combat (•),
Fighting Finesse (••),
Firefight (• to •••••, Style),
Grappling (• to •••••, Style),
Improvised Weaponry (• to •••, Style),
Marksmanship (• to •••, Style),
Police Tactics (• to •••, Style),
Street Fighting (• to •••••, Style)

Step 5: Maths
Armor is 0.
Defence is the lowest of your dexterity or wits.
Size is 5 unless you've picked either Giant (6) or Small-Framed (4).
Health is Stamina + Size.
Speed is Strength + Dexterity + 5.
Initiative is Dexterity + Composure.
Willpower is Resolve + Composure.

That's it. Any questions or anything, let me know here or via PM. Good luck!

Tirade fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

This looks interest, I'm going to read into it a little bit more before committing. Are you handling the rolls?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

This looks interest, I'm going to read into it a little bit more before committing. Are you handling the rolls?

Yeah I'll do the rolls, will probably publish them like xylo's been doing unless there's a specific reason to keep 'em secret.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Going for an alcoholic, social bush mechanic. Not sure if I've done all the points right. Never done a trad game before. Sooooooooo

I'll just get you to circle what you think fits with that, then I'll change it.

BCR fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 11, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

Going for an alcoholic, social bush mechanic. Not sure if I've done all the points right. Never done a trad game before. Sooooooooo

Awesome. I'll have to tweak it a bit but that's a good start.

Also you guys have like a week to come up with characters, so long as you post to say you're interested you can take your time making a character.

Edit: BCR you can post the link to your character sheet in here, makes it easier to look at.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
im in

i havent made my poitns yet but ill do it at some point this week when i should be working

im going to be david the sex tourist

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35929?message=true

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

BCR bush mechanic as a character? Oh this is gonna be great. :haw:

Can't wait to hear how he died.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Bifauxnen posted:

BCR bush mechanic as a character? Oh this is gonna be great. :haw:

Can't wait to hear how he died.

It's in his description at the bottom of the character sheet ;)

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
OK BCR you've got some points you can still allocate in your attributes. If you're going friendly bush mechanic I reckon you could add a point each to presence and manipulation which are both social (presence would be for how people react to you or pay attention to your stories in the pub, manipulation is getting them to buy the next round). Then you've got an extra point in the first and second columns, just pick whatever for the first column (either wits or intelligence), and maybe one to stamina to help with the alcohol tolerance?

For the skills on the left they start at zero, to show that you're actively poo poo at them. So drop the ones with 1 dot back to zero by double clicking on them, and re-allocate the points on a 4/7/11 split. If you want to keep them roughly the same I'd say 2 points in crafts and investigation (or even 3 in crafts and 1 in investigation, as crafts is your main mechanic skill), 4 in drive and 3 in brawl, and 11 points spread across the social skills.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I don't understand, how many extra points can I allocate in the Attributes section? I don't know what 5/4/3 ratio means

e: I see it now, sorry

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 11, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm in I gotta make a character now

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Sorry I'm poo poo at explaining it. LordPants did it better in his thread so I'll just copy/paste. You start with one point in each attribute, then add extra points to each column. They don't label the columns on the sheetgen website but the columns group up mental, physical and social attributes, like so:

code:
		[MENTAL]	[PHYSICAL] 	[SOCIAL]
[POWER]		Int	•	Str	•	Pre ••

[FINESSE]	Wit    	••	Dex	••••	Man ••

[RESISTENCE]	Res    	•••••	Sta	••	Com ••
So in this example I've added 5 dots to the mental column, 4 to physical and 3 to social.

Same principle applies for the skill column on the left hand side, except you start with zero in all the skills and add 11/7/4 points to the three groupings.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I think I did it?

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35930

There's some stuff I don't understand like you didn't explain what I put for FLAWS, and I don't know what these merits or the keys do etc. I guess if you just tell me what I need to fix and I'll learn as I go.

e: Sorry I forgot to specify some stuff about the geist at the bottom.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 11, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I think I did it?

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35930

There's some stuff I don't understand like you didn't explain what I put for FLAWS, and I don't know what these merits or the keys do etc. I guess if you just tell me what I need to fix and I'll learn as I go.

e: Sorry I forgot to specify some stuff about the geist at the bottom.

Oh poo poo yeah um leave flaws blank I don't know what they do yet either. They've not come up in LP or Xylo's games.

I mentioned I'm new to this, right?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No that's cool I was just comparing my sheet to BCR's and trying to figure out how the differences mesh with your instructions. Let me know what I need to change, for e.g. I put the 3 'talents' or whatever at the bottom. I don't mind having a gimped character the universe will sort itself out and make everything groovy. Unless my racist genocidal Geist manages to trick me or other people into hosed up knife fights.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
That looks good Sulla. Drop survival down a point, pick a language, and add a second key. One is associated with the keystone (so pyre-flame works well with the nazi lighter), other one comes from your threshold, which means Industrial I guess.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Okay I added French if I've understood you correctly, and fixed the other couple things.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Good stuff. Here's some details on your starting manifestations:

The Curse: Puts some long-term misery on a target. Costs 1 plasm to activate, lasts one day per success on your roll. You've got to touch your target to start it. You can put a trigger on the curse so that it doesn't start straight away, so for example "the next time you wake up", "the next time you see a Liberal politician", etc, but that's a bit more difficult than it starting straight away (you roll with a 2 dice penalty).

• Pyre-flame Curse: The 1-dot version stops your target from making fire. Lighters spark but don't catch, matches break when your target tries to strike them. If the target lights something from a secondary source (e.g. a bit of paper in a roaring fire) the flame dies as they watch. The 2-dot version costs an extra 1 plasm, and extends the fire-blocking effect to a range of about 3 metres per dot of psyche you have around the target. No-one can make any kind of fire in the target's radius, and existing flames go out.

• Industrial Curse: The 1-dot version will gently caress with the target's use of technology, usually in a malevolent way. Computers suddenly become infected with malware, tools break down or slip out of their hand, brakes in cars fail. Any man-made tool they're using becomes useless, so for example equipment that normally gives a bonus (e.g. a cop's polygraph machine, which normally gives +3 to their rolls on interrogation) now give no bonus. The 2-dot version costs the same 1 plasma, but equipment now gives an equivalent penalty rather than bonus (so -3 if the cop uses the polygraph machine).
The Rage: Straight up attacking power. You're essentially letting your geist off its leash, and it smites people with ghostly vengeance. Hits a target at a range of three metres per dot of psyche.

• Pyre-flame Rage: Wreathes the target in ghostly flames. The heat is psychosomatic while at the 1-dot level, will do a point of bashing damage per success.

• Industrial Rage: This one is used against material objects rather than entities. You can either use it to damage and potentially smash objects, or supercharge a man-made item to do extra damage in combat.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

To be clear that I'm not loving up the lore or the point of the game, is it acceptable to have a Sin-Eater (?? are we literally eating sins; there's no mention otherwise of judgement or redemption etc) that clashes directly with the personality of the Geist that has brought him back to life? My thinking was that I'd have a weak character who is ostensibly a hippy and peace-loving but who is underneath it all terrified of their own mortality and thus easily tricked by a vicious, manipulative, hate-filled Geist. So while he tries to do the right thing there is still that undercurrent of Geist-borne rage that can take over at critical moments.

I don't know I just read the initial thing and decided that it wouldn't be very interesting if there's no conflict between the reborn and the geist.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tirade posted:

Industrial Curse: The 1-dot version will gently caress with the target's use of technology, usually in a malevolent way. Computers suddenly become infected with malware, tools break down or slip out of their hand, brakes in cars fail. Any man-made tool they're using becomes useless, so for example equipment that normally gives a bonus (e.g. a cop's polygraph machine, which normally gives +3 to their rolls on interrogation) now give no bonus. The 2-dot version costs the same 1 plasma, but equipment now gives an equivalent penalty rather than bonus (so -3 if the cop uses the polygraph machine).

Industrial Rage: This one is used against material objects rather than entities. You can either use it to damage and potentially smash objects, or supercharge a man-made item to do extra damage in combat.

sup BCR how you doin

as my ex-girlfriend used to say, bonne chance avec ta voiture before she dropped her ute onto my heart and shattered it forever

metaphorically i guess but with this sweet rear end power theres gonna be a lot of dropped utes

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 11, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade, can you cast an eye over when you're next on to make sure I didn't gently caress it up.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35931

Dunstan the dog walker, not someone you'd ever hear called 'bright' was an accomplished dog walker and good at his job. At night he enjoys painting his warhammer 40k miniatures and reading magazines on the paranormal. He rarely leaves his home town of canberra except to travel to the paranormal / comic con crossover which he made a full space marine cosplay suit.

Dunstan met his unfortunate end when they pack of pit bulls he was walking for the local bikey clubhouse turned on him, mauling and then eating him when a passing truck that had just left an abattoir overturned, spraying him with with raw meat and blood.

His Geist is a scientist from the Italian renaissance. The keystone was a porcelain plate with the polymath man on it.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

To be clear that I'm not loving up the lore or the point of the game, is it acceptable to have a Sin-Eater (?? are we literally eating sins; there's no mention otherwise of judgement or redemption etc) that clashes directly with the personality of the Geist that has brought him back to life? My thinking was that I'd have a weak character who is ostensibly a hippy and peace-loving but who is underneath it all terrified of their own mortality and thus easily tricked by a vicious, manipulative, hate-filled Geist. So while he tries to do the right thing there is still that undercurrent of Geist-borne rage that can take over at critical moments.

I don't know I just read the initial thing and decided that it wouldn't be very interesting if there's no conflict between the reborn and the geist.

That's how I'm reading it. The Geist isn't in control but it's definitely got its own agenda, so your character will sometimes feel weirdly compelled to do something. There's nothing in the sourcebook that talks about how that should work in practice though. I'm tossing around ideas as to whether it should be a little bit more concrete. An idea I could swipe from a different area of the book is a geist-enforced ban and duty: one thing that you must do, and one thing that you must not. So for example as part of the resurrection deal your geist could have Ban: Singing and dancing. Duty: Throw Rocks At Cops. Woodstock will feel strongly compelled to follow these rules if the situation presents itself - he can overrule it as he's ultimately in control, but he'd risk the synergy he has with the geist.

The flipside of homeruling this in is that it adds yet another mechanic to monitor.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

need a montage of Dunstan the dogwalker reading books and doing calculus on a blackboard with a spectral italian renaissance man hovering above him

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
we still need one more, right? biff is'nt' acutlay playing?

can we get xylo to play?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Soag posted:

we still need one more, right? biff is'nt' acutlay playing?

can we get xylo to play?

Give it some time man, the game only got announced a few hours ago. Although that was in GBS, so I guess for anyone who didn't see it right then it might as well be gone forever.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Bifauxnen posted:

Give it some time man, the game only got announced a few hours ago. Although that was in GBS, so I guess for anyone who didn't see it right then it might as well be gone forever.

nah i didnt mean it like a hurry-up thing, i was wondering if you were playing or not and if there were spare slots bc someone posted in gbs that they'd like to play but the game was full

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

ive got a slot you can fill, have you got a token big enough

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
sulla you stole my idea, my sex tourist was going to be a polyglot

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
he can say i love you in 17 languages

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

im not sure that qualifies as polylinguism

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35937?message=true

semi autobiographical

quote:

David Pemberthy had never quite known where he fit in in society.

In an earlier earlier life, David had been known as David Corby and worked as an accountant at a small firm on the Gold Coast while living with his parents. An otherwise boring, mediocre little man, David's life was shattered when his sister was caught smuggling drugs into a third world paradise. Fearing that the police would raid the family home and find his collection of torrented Cabbage Patch Kids episodes (what was he supposed to do? he couldn't buy them on DVD!), David changed his name and fled to Thailand. And so began David's second life.

At the tender age of 31, David discovered that he was irresistible to the women in Thailand (at least until he stopped buying them expensive clothes), and had sex for the very first time. And he liked it!

David decided that this life in Thailand was for him. After spending nine months on a rampage through Bangkok's less salubrious establishments, and seeing more breasts, penises, and chickens than he could count (he ran out of fingers after 10), he settled down and opened a bar with three of his favourite wives. In the seedy world of south east asia David learnt the arts of subterfuge and intimidation, better known as blackmail, and developed a good eye through countless hours perched on a bar stool at the local ping pong show. He knows just about everyone in town, and has all sorts of connections to what the overseas press would call "local crime figures", but unfortunately none of them really like him.

Unfortunately for David, while on one of his many jaunts to Cambodia, his three wives left him for a Mexican with deep pockets and took his life savings with them. David was forced to drug muling to cover his rent, but on flight QF 412 from Phuket to Coolangatta the condom split and so ended David's second life.

David was summonsed back to the world of the living by the faceless disembodied voice of Allah, who implores him to life a life of austerity and abstain from worldly pleasures. David could get on board with this, except he's finally arrived back in Australia and is desperate to find his teenaged sweetheart. On the plus side, his syphilis seems to have cleared up!

David has been described as "the lothario of pattaya", "the whitest man alive", and "that dirty loving perv that won't leave me alone".

His keystone is a prayer mat, which he uses as an excuse to get down on the ground and try to look up ladies' skirts more than anything else.

David's specialties are bargaining, shamelessness and disease resistance.

plumpy hole lever fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 11, 2014

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
hey tirade, who gets to voice the geists? us or you?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Wait I'm confused, at what point did that guy die

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Wait I'm confused, at what point did that guy die

Drug muling in the flight. You swallow a condom full of drugs, but if the condom bursts in your stomach, you overdose.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I think I'll sign up. I played Wraith once and this seems like the New World of Darkness version.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

oh jeez i'm definitely too tired, when i first glanced over it was like 'oh okay he got someone pregnant on the flight and so now he has to look after some kid and he decided to escape it by converting to fundamentalist islam and joining some retreat somewhere'

good brain

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Oh poo poo yeah um leave flaws blank I don't know what they do yet either. They've not come up in LP or Xylo's games.

I mentioned I'm new to this, right?

In old world of darkness you could take them at character creation for a set amount of extra XP. In new world of darkness you take them and every time you role play your flaw or that it impacts the game, you get bonus XP. For ease of bookkeeping I like to make sure everyone has equal XP, so I don't allow them in my games, but it's up to you.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, so, can you clarify how it is we are reborn?

Do we come back to life instantly? Do we wake up in the morgue a day later? What I'm getting at is do our characters have to find a new life? Are there tons of questions from friends/loved ones/witnesses about how they saw us decapitated or why the cancer completely disappeared when we were on our deathbed or what?

I've got a few ideas for characters, but if they died in a public way, that could make it awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

XyloJW posted:

I think I'll sign up. I played Wraith once and this seems like the New World of Darkness version.

Yessss.....!

Your questions about coming alive again is something I was wondering about. I didn't know if being eaten by a pack of dogs would be too newsworthy that it would make things really difficult / odd / awkward.

• Locked thread