Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I'm assuming the real stalker forum was deleted when they decided to finally close down all the pedophile groups. Reddit is a really progressive place that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Its actually popped up a couple of times in google when I was stumped with what may be a bug, or just confusing quests, the first thing you notice is:
"A Reddit to discuss the video game series S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - including Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat.

NOTE: This is not a subreddit for news about stalking and stalkers!"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

staberind posted:

Its actually popped up a couple of times in google when I was stumped with what may be a bug, or just confusing quests, the first thing you notice is:
"A Reddit to discuss the video game series S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - including Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat.

NOTE: This is not a subreddit for news about stalking and stalkers!"

Only on reddit does such a disclaimer need to be made.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm now maintaining a page for Original Weapons Renewal 2.1 as well as an addon I'm making for it at this page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/original-weapons-renewal-by-r-populik

If anybody feels like lending a hand in creating a better page layout and graphics, let me know. I can make a new group and add you to the list and we can work on things together.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
It's just an image, or is HTML allowed? What are the specs?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

It's just an image, or is HTML allowed? What are the specs?

I'm just using an image, but HTML is allowed.

The dimensions of any images in that field must be no greater width than 950, height doesn't matter as long as it looks good.

I'd also like a new banner (950x150, no text), and preview graphic (max size 1024x768).

I screwed up and put "SWM" in the main graphic when I meant to say "SWTC" :P

I am also interested in a 1024x768 graphic for a new group I'm creating that currently consists of me and a modeler/skinner/animator. It will grow to more.
I'd leave text off of it as I can add it later when I decide what to name the group. Just something Stalker themed.

Any help would be appreciated. You or anyone else can email me at matthew.w.swartz at gmail for discussing this stuff.
Alternatively you can PM me on ModDB from my profile. It might be better to do it via ModDB, that way I can add you to the team if you want to continue with any future graphics or page design.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any gun suggestions for my addon? I have a good modeler so we can pretty much add anything, but preferably Russian or Ukranian in origin.

So far I have a Ruger Mini-14, FNP 45, Steyr Aug A1, Baikal MP-153, PP-19 Bizon, AK-104 w/ Kobra, and when my modeler is back from vacation we'll also have: a PP-19-01 Vityaz, Colt Python, S&W M19, Remington 700.
I am also adding Millenia's Borz (got permission from him like a year ago...hope he remembers) as a bandit spray-and-pray weapon, a zip-gun bolt-action rifle of some sort as another cheap bandit weapon, and maybe an IMI Tavor if my dude skins it and creates some good animations for it.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 7, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have done some skinning, I think I'd have to relearn the xr engines foibles before doing some more, plus sometimes I am unreliable.
As for requests, you know the Groza is modular, it would be nice to get a lightweight version with no grenade launcher/integral suppressor, and a long barrel version, as well the choice of modding all versions to use the cheaper warsaw pakt rounds.
An AA12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8 or Saiga, with the option to attach a grenade launcher would be sweet.

Also adding the option of scopes to a lot more weapons would be awesome, the only scopable shotgun I have found so far was the protecta, or some mods added a deathray tactical saiga that was just overpowerful and scoped, perhaps something less gamebreaking would be good,

staberind fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 8, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Reinstalled S.T.A.L.K.E.R. after I don't know how long and loaded up Misery 2.1.1, started with a knife and a flashlight in pitch black and immediately get turned to mulch by zombie gunfire. :gibs:

Feels good to be back!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Welp, good news at least. I've got some cash together so can finally build a new rig to get my stalker on once more.

Gonna run my pc parts picker thing past the knowledgeable goons in the pc building thread soon.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Welp, good news at least. I've got some cash together so can finally build a new rig to get my stalker on once more.

Gonna run my pc parts picker thing past the knowledgeable goons in the pc building thread soon.

Right now, I'd suggest an lga1150 mobo and the pentium 20th aniversary, its mad cheap, overclocks well on just air, you can probably get the motherboard and processor for under £100, allowing you to spend more on a graphics card and memory.
if you want more grunt, lga2011 and lga1150 motherboards with i7 or xeon, sadly, although you can get the mobo's dirt cheap if you keep an eye on ebay, etc, the decent cpu's with the exception of the pentium are rarely under £200.
you could even go the cheaper route, get a board with shagged cpu pins and get it repaired, I have a quality lga2011 board like that I was planning on sorting out, but then bought a couple of other mobo's, if you can find a processor for it, I'll give it to you, however, the caveat being expensive cpu's and finding a place that replaces that specific part.
Its a beast, Rampage 4, 8 ram slots and so on, if you are going to be doing stuff that actually uses multithreading, its brilliant. but for games modding and stuff like that, the pentium will perform excellently while using far less power.

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 8, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm sure I read somewhere that for gaming a good i5 is better than an i7 because of reasons I can't quite understand.

My original build is quite old now. My budget is £800 so I'll throw the original plan to the goons and see what they decide to do with it.

I feel kind of weird because I got £3000 from my great aunt in her will which seems like something that shouldn't happen in real life. I gave most of it to charity and kept some for myself. Thanks auntie, you were not only a cool person in life but you're a pretty solid person in death too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that for gaming a good i5 is better than an i7 because of reasons I can't quite understand.

As far as I know, all i5 chips support 4 threads, and some (most?) i7 chips support 8 threads. The argument was that "no game will ever use 8 threads", but Watch Dogs was the first to do so I'm pretty sure.

i5s are still amazing and I didn't really notice any issues running WD on my i5, so i7 probably still isn't worth it, but that might change soon enough.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think the reasoning was that the i7 Hyper threading could be less efficient for games by 1-2%. Hardly seems worth going with an i5 I guess.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
its the difference between a motorbike and one of those bmw suv things that never go within 5 miles of any mud.
some bikes are built for mud, some are built for speed,
but the beemer will go fast inefficiently and you can carry a fridge in the back along with some family members.

If you are doing occasional heavy lifting, get an older hyperthreaded machine, a dirtbike with panniers.
If you want to go from a to b effectively and have a safe route, get an i5 or the pentium, you can always upgrade. a sports bike
If you want something that will do everything fast, but needs a bit of attention now and then, get an i7 or Xeon. the beamer suv.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

mmm...yeah. But with stuff coded when parallel code execution i.e. multi-threading wasn't a thing, the difference might be, in a word; underwhelming?
Here's my rule: stuff made after the launch of the Xbone/PS4 = i7 is better; stuff from before = gently caress. it. It no matter to stalker.

E: this is my bible for any (gaming) hardware purchase http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?s=week+in+tech . Guys name is Jeremy Laird, he seems to do this professionally

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 8, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

mmm...yeah. But with stuff coded when parallel code execution i.e. multi-threading wasn't a thing, the difference might be, in a word; underwhelming?
Here's my rule: stuff made after the launch of the Xbone/PS4 = i7 is better; stuff from before = gently caress. it. It no matter to stalker.

E: this is my bible for any (gaming) hardware purchase http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?s=week+in+tech . Guys name is Jeremy Laird, he seems to do this professionally

Hence getting the centenary Pentium was a suggestion, to be frank, it was a poo poo analogy as people rarely get much real use out of mt, in much the same way that those bmw's tend to have a single fat bloke in them, always stay on tarmac and are usually in a 30 mph zone.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
In the faction war mod for clear sky is the mechanic (I was playing bandits) Not able to upgrade anything besides shotguns and pistols? Or is this a glitch?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

NeoSeeker posted:

In the faction war mod for clear sky is the mechanic (I was playing bandits) Not able to upgrade anything besides shotguns and pistols? Or is this a glitch?

I think that the bandit guy is the only one able to upgrade SEVA suits, if I'm not mistaken. other than that, yup.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

staberind posted:

Hence getting the centenary Pentium was a suggestion, to be frank, it was a poo poo analogy as people rarely get much real use out of mt, in much the same way that those bmw's tend to have a single fat bloke in them, always stay on tarmac and are usually in a 30 mph zone.

The Pentium wouldn't be a bad buy. I'd stick with a high clock speed i7 otherwise though, the old ivy/sandy i5 is really starting to show its age. Remember, STALKER doesn't really bother with multi-core so each single core needs to be strong.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Been playing Shoker Mod for CoP, it's pretty cool but this is what it looks like when I use my binoculars:

I've tried digging around in the mod files. The binoculars config file references a "wpn_crosshair_bino" texture, but I can't find it anywhere in the texture folder. Anyone know how to fix this?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Anyone heard any news on the status of OGSE 0.6.9.3? They posted an update back in June or July, but it still hasn't been released. I'm holding off on a replay until it comes out.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

God, this series. I think I played through all three games, what, at least twice? SoC with Complete and Oblivion Lost, Clear Sky Complete, and CoP vanilla and Complete. MISERY just didn't click with me. I found just getting started to be incredibly difficult, and didn't feel like that kind of experience.

But man, this series. One of the best in recent memory. Hope the devs deliver with their new stuff.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Speaking of mod status.. What's up with redux 2.0?

Also is lost alpha as good as it sounds?

staberind posted:

I think that the bandit guy is the only one able to upgrade SEVA suits, if I'm not mistaken. other than that, yup.

That sucks, then if I play as a bandit how do I upgrade my other guns?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

NeoSeeker posted:

Speaking of mod status.. What's up with redux 2.0?

Also is lost alpha as good as it sounds?

That sucks, then if I play as a bandit how do I upgrade my other guns?

Lost alpha is pretty good so far, shits lush if you add the extra packs, also, sorry, I made a mistake, in the base game, he's the only dude that does Sevas's and basic weapons, later on, I dunno, but I have not tried that mod yet, so I am as in the dark as you so far.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

staberind posted:

shits lush if you add the extra packs

There's extra packs? It's super lush already with the base install.

Lost Alpha is great, it's pretty close to being my perfect STALKER game.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

There's extra packs? It's super lush already with the base install.

Lost Alpha is great, it's pretty close to being my perfect STALKER game.

S3r1ous Textures Effects and Audio Patch v10.6 by ThaOneDon and so on, guy made a few bugfixes, that later crash the game. erm, other fixes include swamp dr fix also look for the lukash fix as well.

Also, I think there might be another LA patch out soon as well, I have restarted a couple of times now, so a third time will probably mean I take a break and do something else for a while.

Also: One repairing character wanders around Yantar in an exo suit, but gets killed by rats very easily, Father Diodor

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 10, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah I felt no need to "fix" Lost Alpha since 1.3002, but I seem to be lucky in that regard. And yeah I thought 1.3002 was going to be the last reset patch, the fact they did it again is annoying.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I've found out that as a bandit the loner faction does not hate your guts completely. They have a base in the garbage with a mechanic who can mod pretty much everything. Also there might be someone south of the bandit base.

^talking about the faction war mod for Clear Sky

Now a question about lost alpha.

Are there any mods that anyone would strongly recommend?

By the way, I love atmosphere and all the other graphics mods for Faction War. Even though I'm not a graphics guy (I hate good graphics basically, as I see it as a sign of weakness on the developer's part if the game isn't great) I love atmosphere. The god rays and everything else combine with the awful graphics of the vanilla game to create a timeless look that will never stop looking good in its own way.

Grahpics are great, but gameplay is ultimately the center stage winner in my opinion. I don't want any mods that have the potential to break a standalone mod for a really buggy game.

And what about redux? I've been looking forward to it. I really want that magazine system (I feel like a bastard for not remembering his name, he's a cool guy) they were working on.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Now a question about lost alpha.

Are there any mods that anyone would strongly recommend?

http://freetexthost.com/q134pzdcl5

Most of the mods you might want are on that site. I use the improvements and audio/texture pack and they're nice.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

MadBimber posted:

http://freetexthost.com/q134pzdcl5

Most of the mods you might want are on that site. I use the improvements and audio/texture pack and they're nice.

Cheers, sorry, I should have given the link again myself when mentioning a part of it above.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Just beat lost alpha on master with as much of the SLAM pack as I could get working (guiders werent down to guide me anywhere, probably hosed up the install.) coming from at least a dozen playthroughs of the original series and mods for each, LA is good and theres a lot to do and see. The new places are great and sandbox feels so much deeper, but i have a couple complaints.

Technicians are rare unless you know how to find and preserve them ahead of time, repair kits dont work in an intuitive documented way and i had to leave that poo poo on the ground with my favorite guns because there was just no way to repair them. the fanmade plot and in-engine cutscenes are cringingly pedestrian. The locations and scenery that go with them are visceral as gently caress but the impact is diminished by horrible voice acting and model breaking animation. Its sad to see all that immersion go into the toilet for the sake of some half life references and "creatively" animated models.

it was worth it for the extra places and vehicles, but not as straightforward as misery and half as polished for all the extra content jammed in.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm already loving around with the Lost Alpha sounds. I'm working on two alternate weapon sound mods: one more realistic (for realism, durr), and one drawing mainly from RE4 and 007 Nightfire (for theatrical effect).

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The good nightfire or the bad one?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

The good nightfire or the bad one?

The good one, I got bored the other day, hooked up the Gimpcube and recorded sfx.

The quality is actually pretty good, which is surprising considering I was also drunk at the time.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Bacon Hat posted:

the fanmade plot and in-engine cutscenes are cringingly pedestrian. The locations and scenery that go with them are visceral as gently caress but the impact is diminished by horrible voice acting and model breaking animation. Its sad to see all that immersion go into the toilet for the sake of some half life references and "creatively" animated models.

The poor presentation is exactly why I couldn't bring myself to play LA for very long. The whole draw of Stalker for me is the atmosphere, and that bad "fanfic" aspect of it ruined it for me.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So in addition to the Shadow of Chernobyl source code being leaked around the time of Lost Alpha, a few days ago a Russian leaked the source code for Clear Sky as well.

I know it sucks for GSC, but I do hope modders utilize it. It would neat to see CS have many of it's hard-coded issues fixed by a good programmer.

Now all we are missing is the COP source code...

*Edit*
Turns out the source code was "leaked" by an active programmer in team Dezowave (Lost Alpha). It also looks like he may have had permission from GSC.

It looks as though seeing the COP source code is a very real possibility.

*Edit #2*
I directly asked the leaker if he would release the COP code at some point. I'll let people know what he says.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 11, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It seems like a lot of the actual grunts in GSC are really graceful about that kind of thing. Before they went under they released a ton of development material in the form of models, old builds etc. About 60gb of the stuff. You can find it on rutracker.

They also made drm free exe files that a lot of the hacked engine features have utilised heavily.

The rights holder, on the other hand, is making GBS threads bricks.

e: I'm slightly worried now about my proposed plot for TD. I have no idea about Lost alphas plot since I haven't had an opportunity to play it yet, but I basically rewrote SoC to make it so the player isn't really the wasteland messiah he is made out to be in the Stalker world. You do some impressive poo poo, and manage to do more than most Stalkers ever will, but ultimately the plot is more about your own personal struggle and the rather selfish things you do being a sort of terrible role model for other people who aren't as terribly self destructive as you, as it would probably ruin their lives and the lives of their families.

Ultimately it's about you figuring out who you are, what terrible things you did with your personal ambition and the consequences of it finally catching up to you. Throughout the game you have several factions actively seeking your head, including two separate mercenary groups competing with each other as one isn't getting the results they're supposed to.

You ultimately learn very little about the Zone and what it actually is because you're just one rear end in a top hat among a world of them and what hope do you have of figuring it all out.

I think the favourite thing I added was the drone that can be spotted a few times in the game.

Yes, that one. Sort of tied to one of the factions following you and their patrons.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

It seems like a lot of the actual grunts in GSC are really graceful about that kind of thing. Before they went under they released a ton of development material in the form of models, old builds etc. About 60gb of the stuff. You can find it on rutracker.

They also made drm free exe files that a lot of the hacked engine features have utilised heavily.

The rights holder, on the other hand, is making GBS threads bricks.

Yeah GSC is great when it comes to helping out the modding community. I don't care if Sergey is making GBS threads a brick as he cancelled Stalker 2 so...
Anyway, the development material you mention may not be seeded anymore. If this is the case I only grabbed the COP materials but am willing to upload them at some point if people can't get them through rutracker.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I actually included a little Sergey easter egg. There's an unmarked grave that is a very popular spot for Stalkers to get drunk, act like irresponsible assholes and be generally disrespectful. They really don't like Sergey :v:

e: It was a stash in the Garbage where various abusive notes, rotten food and the like would be left near the grave of Sergey. It slowly replenishes throughout the game with more notes and other things as Stalkers make a pilgrimage.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I have a response from the source code "leaker" (looks more and more like it may be okay):

My message to him:

quote:

Hi,

First of all I'm sorry for using English and not typing in Russian.

I was just curious, I see that you released the Clear Sky source code. Do you currently have any plans on releasing the Call of Pripyat source code as well?

I have to ask as I am absolutely dying to see the COP source code and start modifying the game, if you plan on releasing it.

Take care,
Matt

His response:

quote:

hi, in autumn maybe cause NDA, october, not sure yet.
Gl, lox.

So it sounds like he's waiting for his NDA agreement to expire before releasing it...but we will likely have the COP source code soon :D

Time to start making a wishlist of engine features people. I'm already getting started on getting programmers together for this (and I can do some small C++ mods myself: I made a few changes in the CS source which are coming along nicely).

To any mods reading this: May we have permission to openly post this code once released? It seems as though GSC doesn't really care and might be okay with it.

Here's a wishlist I compiled so far:
*Change per-vertex lighting to per-pixel lighting
*Add support for SMAA, and FXAA
*Add more advanced collision detection for particles as well as wallmarks
*Add support for artist-programmable tessellation
*Add ability for full-auto pistols (empty animations show up correctly)
*Allow for variable rates of fire (abakan fires 1800 rpm in 2-round burst mode, while retaining normal rate of fire in other modes)
*Allow attachable bayonets
*Allow attachable underslung shotguns
*Allow impact-detonated grenades
*Allow manual reloading (have to press reload key to reload)
*Contact Nvidia and ask to implement HBAO+ and TXAA
*Add multi-threaded support
*Add enviornment mapping for models/weapons

Based on what I've seen of the CS source I can do the full auto pistols, variable rates of fire, and manual reloading but that's about it.

I'm hoping COP gets to be the first engine to get DirectX12 through modders rather than any other games.