Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Man, I don't even collect stuff and I want some Lock Seeds a little. But I can't actually find that set I know exists that has the Acorn and... I think also Banana?

I mean, they're basically bigger Gaia Memories, and I want some Gaia Memories too. Everyone loves Gaia Memories and those things are like five years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Caphi posted:

I mean, they're basically bigger Gaia Memories, and I want some Gaia Memories too. Everyone loves Gaia Memories and those things are like five years old.
I was just thinking "How can it be five years? There was Fourze and OOO, yeah, but..."

And then I realized I'd completely forgotten about Wizard. Or just removed it from my memory.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I was just thinking "How can it be five years? There was Fourze and OOO, yeah, but..."

And then I realized I'd completely forgotten about Wizard. Or just removed it from my memory.

You can't forget about Wizard, there's nothing to remember.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

Potsticker posted:

The only notable thing that Gain has changed is getting rid of the two episode arc format that previous series settled into.
And I really hope that the next series continues this. Gaim feels like it's moving at a breakneck pace compared to Wizard.

I'm also really happy that episode 40 finally has someone confronting Kouta directly with what he's willing to sacrifice for his ideals and what he would do with The Forbidden Fruit's power. Kaito basically had the same episode but with soccer about his character motivations but never really got into what he would do with himself once he's come out on top. Previews for the next episode make me wonder if Mai will choose to take a part of The Forbidden Fruit's power so she and Kouta can be hated by the world together.

How many episodes has it been since we last saw not-Mai?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Chromius posted:

And I really hope that the next series continues this. Gaim feels like it's moving at a breakneck pace compared to Wizard.

The trade off has been that now it seems that every episode ends on a fight, tune in next week to see how it resolves. Without the old structure Gaim drags out resolving story beats for far too many episodes. While Wizard had problems with its overarching plot being ignored and stretched out, Gaim has had issues with its subplots in a similar manner.

If anything, I think it just goes to show that whether Drive does two episode arcs or not it isn't going to be indicative of how well the show is written overall.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I feel like showing off the toys is secondary to the story in Gain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RBX posted:

I feel like showing off the toys is secondary to the story in Gain.

I feel the opposite, but the story's a very close second.

Kids really wouldn't give a poo poo about the toys if the story couldn't get them invested. Even if they were really neato nifty toys.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Potsticker posted:

The trade off has been that now it seems that every episode ends on a fight, tune in next week to see how it resolves. Without the old structure Gaim drags out resolving story beats for far too many episodes.

To be honest, this is a problem with the writing in general, since even when it came to W the two-episode arc boiled down a lot to

• WE'RE FIGHTING IN THE FIRST EPISODE!
  • WE BEAT YOU!
  • Next episode, you get away somehow????
  • bum around for 20 minutes i guess
  • OKAY FIGHT FOR REAL THIS TIME

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

Without the old structure Gaim drags out resolving story beats for far too many episodes.

What genre have you been watching where Gaim's pacing is especially drawing plot beats out? Compared to a lot of its contemporaries it's pretty welled paced. God, Fourze and W, as much as I loved them, dragged out poo poo so long it was kind of unforgivable.

Remember literally every plot point about Meteor? Every beat there was dragged 2 arcs way too long.

Except Cancer. He should have been there forever :allears:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I found interesting was that Kouta went straight into Kiwami Arms when Redyue showed up. Usually, he goes for a careful escalation so he's using the minimum amount of force necessary. This time? No messing around, just straight-up nuclear-option murder-time. It was a nice little character beat, and helped underline how close he came this episode to some seriously dangerous territory.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What genre have you been watching where Gaim's pacing is especially drawing plot beats out? Compared to a lot of its contemporaries it's pretty welled paced. God, Fourze and W, as much as I loved them, dragged out poo poo so long it was kind of unforgivable.

Remember literally every plot point about Meteor? Every beat there was dragged 2 arcs way too long.

Oh good, I'm not alone in loving the pun crab.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cancer was amazing. Looking back, Fourze was a pretty good show all things considered.

I'm not saying that other post-Decade shows never had this problem with part of their plots. Meteor/Tachibana, Kiyomi, Hina's weird strength (which I don't know if it even counts because it never really is addressed or resolved). I am hard pressed to think of ones from W that took too long, but I won't argue if you feel that there was. Mainly because I didn't watch that one week to week.

But my point is, with Gaim it's every plot. In those other shows the minor plots last for two eps and we move on. In Gaim we get things like Durian Arms being introduced, causing trouble for a couple of episodes, then he hangs out and just sort of drifts around. The Melon Bowl gets teased and then takes a bunch of episodes before the showdown actually happens and when it does, they stretch it out over two episodes. The Yuya stuff, alternate Mai, the destroyed city in Helheim, whatever Sagara is doing, Micchy fooling Kouta, Kaito, Yuko, it's like there's all these little plot points that get visited like an Inoue Drama, but unlike that we don't get the same focus on those side characters so we're mostly just following Kouta around. The main point though is that very few things get resolved or moved along and we are continually just strung along the same threads.

It's funny that we've finally started to get cool monster suits except they hardly last for a single episode and are just there so Kouta has something to destroy because this "Rider War" has been a flop.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of pissed me off about this episode was three things, one of them kind of a good thing I guess.

First, when Kouta first entered that room and saw that machine hooked up to all of those people, I instantly went "OK, smash the machine. No, stop loving around, smash the-FOR THE LOVE OF gently caress SMASH THE oh hi Redue."

Then Kaito came along and he INSTANTLY smashes the machine without a second thought. Goddamnit Kouta.

The second was that a lot of this episode honestly felt like a retread. Like, Kouta's entire motivation thing? He came to terms with all of this waaaay back when he got Super Orange- he should drat well KNOW ALL THIS BY NOW. Especially the Yuuya stuff! It was all just a massive, and less well done, rehash of character development HE'S ALREADY HAD. If it sticks this time, who knows. I hope it does so he can be a loving Kamen Rider now and stop being so indecisive. BE LIKE KAITO SMASH THE MACHINE.

The third thing is kind of silly. I really wanted to see redue circling Kouta and then Kouta straight up punches her in the face, because gently caress you for wasting our time.

Also holy poo poo that Invess costume Kouta was turned into is not holding up well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Also holy poo poo that Invess costume Kouta was turned into is not holding up well.
Watch out for my jiggly, hollow rubber talons!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

What kind of pissed me off about this episode was three things, one of them kind of a good thing I guess.

First, when Kouta first entered that room and saw that machine hooked up to all of those people, I instantly went "OK, smash the machine. No, stop loving around, smash the-FOR THE LOVE OF gently caress SMASH THE oh hi Redue."

Then Kaito came along and he INSTANTLY smashes the machine without a second thought. Goddamnit Kouta.

You could frame it like this: Kouta has no idea what's going on other than they're hooked up to a machine and he's not sure if it would be a good idea to break it since it could do nothing or make things worse. Kaito gives zero fucks about what it is and decides to break it since it seems like the most straightforward option.

God those rubber talons are embarrassing. They couldn't even spring for dowels to keep them straight?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

I can't believe how obvious it was that the back wasn't even sealed shut. It's so cheap.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I can't believe how obvious it was that the back wasn't even sealed shut. It's so cheap.

Maybe I just have an eye for detail but I also feel like the eyeholes in the neck were super obvious too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fooley posted:

Maybe I just have an eye for detail but I also feel like the eyeholes in the neck were super obvious too.
One of them definitely was. The one on the left was so obvious, it almost had an old kaiju-movie appeal to it. Made the poor thing look like an old smoker.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Fooley posted:

Man now I need to watch the episode again to check it out. The whole suit was obviously not doing great. It's the same one they used for Hase's monster form so maybe that was the problem?

Man, using the monster suits over and over again even after they start falling apart is one of the best parts of toku. :allears:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the actual interesting part of this episode (micchy vs kaito) was barely even there

and next time kouta is going to stop it so whatevs

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Reminds me of the big dramatic fight near the end of OOO where Ankh's arm was very obviously being held together by scotch tape.

Xelkelvos posted:

You could frame it like this: Kouta has no idea what's going on other than they're hooked up to a machine and he's not sure if it would be a good idea to break it since it could do nothing or make things worse. Kaito gives zero fucks about what it is and decides to break it since it seems like the most straightforward option.

Yeah at first I was like "Just smash the machine" but then I realized that if you don't know what the machine is doing (even though it's obviously doing something bad), smashing it might not be the best option because it could kill the people attached to it, and Kouta isn't going to want that with his friends and sister hooked up to it. While we the audience know what's going on, Kouta doesn't, and can't take the risk that it might harm them. Whereas Kaito doesn't care because if the people hooked up to it don't survive then they just weren't strong enough to, and well, too bad for them, stopping the Overlords is more important.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lessail posted:

the actual interesting part of this episode (micchy vs kaito) was barely even there

Don't tell me you weren't excited to see Kouta's....what are we up to now, 4th dramatic long lecture from someone who knows more about the situation than him that culminates in Kouta going 'I'm gonna be a hero!' and becoming more powerful.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

I just really, really hope Micchy doesn't have some crisis on conscience and throw himself in front of an overlord or something. I want someone to rider kick him right up his stupid loving rear end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fooley posted:

I just really, really hope Micchy doesn't have some crisis on conscience and throw himself in front of an overlord or something. I want someone to rider kick him right up his stupid loving rear end.

Yeah, I have to agree. He's so far down the rabbit hole that any attempt to redeem him would come off as completely contrived.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

In the Showa/Heisei movie, Takumi's relationship with Kusaka seemed way more fitting for Kouta and Micchy than it did for the Faiz cast. In the series, Takumi only seemed to tolerate Kusaka for Mari's sake, but despite everything that has happened Kouta still cares for Micchy and would consider him a friend.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Brother Entropy posted:

Don't tell me you weren't excited to see Kouta's....what are we up to now, 4th dramatic long lecture from someone who knows more about the situation than him that culminates in Kouta going 'I'm gonna be a hero!' and becoming more powerful.

well if he did that while riding a horse i'd be ok with it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait Kusaka was in Showa vs. Heisei too? Man now I really want to see it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait Kusaka was in Showa vs. Heisei too? Man now I really want to see it.

He's a massive dick, so they captured his character perfectly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm...finally...caught up...

Jesus Christ, what a great show. I agree with nearly everyone else about Miccy-I really don't want to see him get a redemption moment. I can't think of a way it won't be forced.

I didn't like Kiwami Arms at first, but it's grown on me. Kachidoki is still better, however.

It's been mentioned that Kouta is becoming a "true" Kamen Rider is. For someone who's only watched Kiva before this(and I know that one's not well liked, so it probably isn't the best comparison for rating one's Kamen Rider-ness), what is that exactly?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It's been mentioned that Kouta is becoming a "true" Kamen Rider is. For someone who's only watched Kiva before this(and I know that one's not well liked, so it probably isn't the best comparison for rating one's Kamen Rider-ness), what is that exactly?

One of the biggest recurring themes in Kamen Rider shows is the hero's powers being connected to evil sources but using them for good(ex: the original Kamen Rider was turned into a cyborg by Shocker, a terrorist organization but escapes before they finalize the brainwashing on him and uses his new powers to fight them). Gaim sorta had this already with the Lockseeds being connected to the Invess but "You're an Overlord, Kouta!" is alot more overt.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I finally watched 39 and 40 and the thing that strikes me the hardest is...Doraemon is ending? There's no way that's right, they can't end on such a bad-looking movie. That Nobita was just awful. Also, 2015's movie is already planned.

I wonder if we'll see Kouta's 'Overlord form' eventually. In a movie? Is a Kamen Rider transforming into a 'monster' form (ie, no belts) common in the series? There's Ryoji Hase and Faiz, are there many others? I only know that OOO and Fourze didn't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

toanoradian posted:

I wonder if we'll see Kouta's 'Overlord form' eventually. In a movie? Is a Kamen Rider transforming into a 'monster' form (ie, no belts) common in the series? There's Ryoji Hase and Faiz, are there many others? I only know that OOO and Fourze didn't.

Umm...OOO did, actually. Did you watch the full series? Eiji becoming the purple Greeed is a really important plot point.

Apart from that, there's quite a few Riders that have gone monster. Trying to avoid spoilers here, since most of said transformations are plot-critical, but Faiz, Blade, Kabuto, Kiva, Decade, OOO and now Gaim have had at least one Rider each turn into a monster.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Apart from that, there's quite a few Riders that have gone monster. Trying to avoid spoilers here, since most of said transformations are plot-critical, but Faiz, Blade, Kabuto, Kiva, Decade, OOO and now Gaim have had at least one Rider each turn into a monster.

Wizard teases it pretty heavily, but like every cool thing Wizard could have done, it doesn't happen. Though I might go so far to say it pulls a reversal?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Umm...OOO did, actually. Did you watch the full series? Eiji becoming the purple Greeed is a really important plot point.

Kind of disappointed that W never had a situation where Shotaro, somehow unable to transform using a Driver, had to desperately resort into becoming a Joker Dopant.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have completely forgotten that Eiji had a Greeed form :doh: I only remember Eiji going wild and losing the will to eat due to PuToTyra. I guess I just lost interest in those last episodes. Can't remember much in those besides two Births and TaJaDor flying into a huge floating base and Eiji walking in a desert.

Also, even in the Greeed form it still has a belt or at least a belt-like thing on its waist. Though I guess me defining 'monster' as 'no belts' wouldn't make sense in OOO since all Greeeds has belts.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Brother Entropy posted:

One of the biggest recurring themes in Kamen Rider shows is the hero's powers being connected to evil sources but using them for good(ex: the original Kamen Rider was turned into a cyborg by Shocker, a terrorist organization but escapes before they finalize the brainwashing on him and uses his new powers to fight them). Gaim sorta had this already with the Lockseeds being connected to the Invess but "You're an Overlord, Kouta!" is alot more overt.

More importantly, the older ones had this really heavy "I can no longer return to being a normal human so the rest of my life has to be dedicated to fighting monsters" thing going on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

I finally watched 39 and 40 and the thing that strikes me the hardest is...Doraemon is ending? There's no way that's right, they can't end on such a bad-looking movie. That Nobita was just awful. Also, 2015's movie is already planned.

Amazon!

He counts.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
New episode of Fruit Fighters, extra early this week: http://aesirsubs.wordpress.com/2014/08/17/kamen-rider-gaim-41/

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm surprised, the episode didn't actually end with a cliffhanger! Not only that, but both Roshuo and Redue are dead. !Mai being a younger vision of Roshuo's wife isn't a huge surprise, especially considering how incorporeal and dreamlike she's been throughout the whole series.

I hope the preview is more than the last five minutes of next week's episode, because it looks like they're finally fully addressing Micchy's bullshit. I don't expect the conflict to end next week, but I'd like it to get going so it could end the week after or something. I'm also really excited about the conflict focusing back on the Rider vs Rider conflict in general. I really want to see Ryoma back in a villainous role, he was really on point the last few episodes.

Mostly though I just want Micchy to get completely hosed up. Ghost Takatora calling Micchy out on being the only completely worthless human was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Mostly though I just want Micchy to get completely hosed up. Ghost Takatora calling Micchy out on being the only completely worthless human was great.

Agreed. And holy poo poo powered up Grape Rider??? Someone besides Kouta FINALLY got an upgrade, not counting Kaito getting Lemon Energy.

• Locked thread