Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Max posted:

In that case, I imagine something is up with her parents.
I'm guessing there's more to her than just being Six from Blosssom (the similarities are striking)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, it's all just speculation at this point, but my non-fantastical guess is just that her parents were not-raptured and/or were so bothered that they stopped caring about her, so she's just hanging their house.

If there's any other reason, I'm not sure we'd be able to figure it out at the moment.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Id be pretty surprised if her parents vanished, that seems like something they would mention considering how the kids are all a bit hosed up now. My guess is she just half lives there/is free to come and go as she pleases. Decently common, at least in tv world.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

This scene was cool

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Jill's friend normally annoys me and adds nothing to the plot but I did appreciate her saying "gently caress her" when they saw Jill's mom.

I liked this episode but I'm getting concerned that we'll have no closure by the end of the season.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Max posted:

I mean, it's all just speculation at this point, but my non-fantastical guess is just that her parents were not-raptured and/or were so bothered that they stopped caring about her, so she's just hanging their house.

If there's any other reason, I'm not sure we'd be able to figure it out at the moment.

The friend's mother is the fat lady who leads the GR.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

I liked this episode but I'm getting concerned that we'll have no closure by the end of the season.
Seems appropriate.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Ersatz posted:

Seems appropriate.

Well I mean closure on anything. I hate to say "answers" because we've debated that enough here but if there's no payoff for anything they're throwing at us, that's a poo poo move. Like The Killing season 1.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well there is a while shitload of dog symbolism and grandpa can seemingly talk to the dead/departed so hopefully they can make something out of that.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Well I mean closure on anything. I hate to say "answers" because we've debated that enough here but if there's no payoff for anything they're throwing at us, that's a poo poo move. Like The Killing season 1.
Fair enough.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Jill's friend normally annoys me and adds nothing to the plot but I did appreciate her saying "gently caress her" when they saw Jill's mom.

I was very curious about her comment that Garvey doesn't recall anything about their conversation over his dog bite.

My favorite moment in the episode was the GR hose down. He got worked up thinking that she was too fragile to put up with the GR bullshit and there she was with a hose. He was right, that was awesome. I still can't wrap my head around their cult. There doesn't seem to be anything compelling about mute chain smokers and they are such aggressive assholes that I have a hard time feeling sympathy for them about the poor treatment the town heaps on them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Acinonyx posted:

I was very curious about her comment that Garvey doesn't recall anything about their conversation over his dog bite.

That wasn't a dog bite.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Acinonyx posted:

My favorite moment in the episode was the GR hose down. He got worked up thinking that she was too fragile to put up with the GR bullshit and there she was with a hose. He was right, that was awesome. I still can't wrap my head around their cult. There doesn't seem to be anything compelling about mute chain smokers and they are such aggressive assholes that I have a hard time feeling sympathy for them about the poor treatment the town heaps on them.
This is exactly why Nora is the best.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Toshimo posted:

That wasn't a dog bite.

I too immediately thought it was a human bite :colbert:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the mark was too shallow to be a dog bite unless there's a wild pack of pugs running around out there.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

homo punching bag posted:

Yeah the mark was too shallow to be a dog bite unless there's a wild pack of pugs running around out there.
It was definitely a human bite mark.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I don't like that everybody in the Garvey family is a humongous angry rear end in a top hat all the time. Particularly Dad, son, and daughter. Mom isn't angry since she's mute though she is an rear end in a top hat as part of the GR, and grandpa is totally insane/prophetic. Kevin doesn't seem like he has it together at all despite (because of?) all the pills with his crazy dreams and blackouts, which I guess is where this show is headed towards: everyone is crazy.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Holy poo poo you guys are dumb. Dog bite? It was pretty obviously this guy

The conversation with the daughter's friend was probably

"hay im drunk got a fish bite what up gerl"

"you should put neosporin on it"

"cheef of police! :barf:"

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 12, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tomahawk posted:

What's in that loving magazine.

It's the "Who shot MR Burns?" of the LeftOvers

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

mistermojo posted:

This scene was cool

This was the best scene.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mistermojo posted:

This scene was cool

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can somebody grab a still of the bite wound on garvey's hand so we can run this poo poo into the ground more properly? :allears:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Guys, the Yellow King bit Garvey's hand, the spaghetti man killed Jill's friend's parents, and the smoke monster made everyone disappear.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Guys, the Yellow King bit Garvey's hand, the spaghetti man killed Jill's friend's parents, and the smoke monster made everyone disappear.

Also, he has cancer but isn't telling anyone.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
You bet your rear end I tracked down a copy of the May 1972 issue of national geographic. I'm currently working through it to see what they're going to try to tie into the show, if they don't just end up blatantly making something up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

frenchnewwave posted:

If they give this a lost style ending, does it piss most the fanbase off?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

There isn't going to be closure on anything besides Wayne's story I bet, since he is actively foreseeing his death.

There's just going to be more mysteries on top of mysteries, more blackouts and amnesia and dream sequences, if past performance can determine future performance.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I could have sworn that baby had silver eyes like from that outstanding Syfy show, "Helix"

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I stopped watching after episode 3 (or 4?) because I wasn't particularly grabbed by how things were developing. Has the show improved/show promise of improving since then?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Gregor Samsa posted:

I stopped watching after episode 3 (or 4?) because I wasn't particularly grabbed by how things were developing. Has the show improved/show promise of improving since then?

Episode 3 was one of the best episodes of the season, while Episode 4 was the worst. Since ep 4 it has gotten better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm hooked. This show does have some serious ups and downs, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Last Chance posted:

I'm hooked. This show does have some serious ups and downs, though.

Just like Nora. :rimshot:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What are the odds this serie will not end with a fat and lazy "God did it" deus ex machina? like a lazy game master that out-of-ideas he shout "MAGIC!" while make half the party dies.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tei posted:

What are the odds this serie will not end with a fat and lazy "God did it" deus ex machina? like a lazy game master that out-of-ideas he shout "MAGIC!" while make half the party dies.

They are never going to explain what happened.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah obviously not. Anyway, what are peoples' thoughts on the GR's end game? Garvey's subconscious or whatever is apparently screaming at him that they need to be put down like so many wild dogs. The preview for the last 3 episodes makes it look like the GR becomes even more antagonistic and possibly does something truly harmful?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I don't they have so much of an end game as they are an "everything is bullshit after the not-rapture" kind of expression of grief, depression, or nihilism. I haven't read the books or anything, and I'm sure that they'll be explored more at some point in time. I'm sure I don't have a good understanding of the whole thing, because that seems kind of juvenile. But like juveniles, I can see them working themselves up with a series of more antagonistic stunts until they do something well and truly hosed up.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The GR actually makes "sense" in the book, like their purpose and goals are spelled out pretty clearly. Guess it turns out it's hard to flesh out mute characters without some internal monologue.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
I don't think there's much to that NatGeo magazine in particular. It's a mcguffin representing some kind of choice or threshold we're unaware of yet. I initially thought there might be some connection between the black bear on the front and the black dog he brought in (especially when it was zooming in on that near the end) but it's a stretch.

What's more interesting is this Cairo business. I didn't catch it at first but someone said it came over the police radio that one scene and it's the title of the next episode. Maybe it's an ATF codeword?

I'm hooked either way. The show's been good about pulling enough little twists to keep the viewer on their toes, it could go anywhere from here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Firebert posted:

The GR actually makes "sense" in the book, like their purpose and goals are spelled out pretty clearly. Guess it turns out it's hard to flesh out mute characters without some internal monologue.

Any chance you could flesh out their purpose and goals here, spoiler-tagged, obviously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any chance you could flesh out their purpose and goals here, spoiler-tagged, obviously?

The GR are a Doomsday cult who believe that they (and everyone else not-raptured) were rejected by an Old Testament-style God for their sins, and their goal is to disrupt people from falling back into their pre-rapture ways, "saving" them by trolling and eventually converting people that they've targeted as potential converts. They are eager to martyr themselves (and start staging them among their own members, probably to garner sympathy/converts, it's vague in the book). They smoke because they believe that they're living in the endtimes so there's no sense worrying about health ramifications.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 13, 2014

• Locked thread