Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Does anyone have experience with ADHD and medications, and then pregnancy and breastfeeding throwing a wrench into medications? I'm not pregnant yet but I'm looking into it for the near future. I am 27 and didn't get a diagnosis until two years ago, and it changed my entire life for the better. Adderall versus the haziness (I get ditzy and not like myself) is night and day. I'm scared to lose that but I know Adderall is not safe for pregnancy. How have you coped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

samizdat posted:

Does anyone have experience with ADHD and medications, and then pregnancy and breastfeeding throwing a wrench into medications? I'm not pregnant yet but I'm looking into it for the near future. I am 27 and didn't get a diagnosis until two years ago, and it changed my entire life for the better. Adderall versus the haziness (I get ditzy and not like myself) is night and day. I'm scared to lose that but I know Adderall is not safe for pregnancy. How have you coped?

I'm 7 weeks pregnant now and I've been off ADHD meds since we started IUI this february. I'd been on them since I got diagnosed (about three years) and yeah, it's a bit rough going off them again. The worst part was right after I quit taking them, I was so used to having my poo poo together and everything got really difficult. It actually did get easier with time though, it's still a bit of a struggle but as it is right now I'd say it works pretty okay. I'd even say that I feel less "hazy" now than before I got diagnosed, just because of habits I got into while medicating.

I'm also such a mess of fatigue and puking right now that I don't think the meds would affect my productivity all that much...

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Went to the Doctor yesterday. Everything seems to be on course. I am unbelievably busy right now and nausea is slowing everything down. We decided to tell our folks earlier than 12 weeks because we really need some help around the house and I don't want to deal with hiding my queasiness.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I'm not sure if this is the thread for it, but my most recent child is now two and my husband is deep into the idea of having one more. We already have four, two girls and two boys, and he wants a "tie breaker." He's excellent with babies and changes diapers and all that but I have a couple of concerns:

1. I'm 35 and he's 33, and the youngest boy (11) and my husband's brother are both autistic. I'm concerned that having a baby at my age with our histories could cause something wrong developmentally.

2. I'm really feeling the desire to have another but I'm not sure if it's truly to have another or more to do with enjoying pregnancy and the fact that my oldest is 16 and having babies makes me feel less like I could become a grandmother at my age.

Can anyone whose had consecutive babies at this age chime in? I can't tell if this is just my biological clock screaming at me for one last shot at youth.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Stairs posted:

I'm not sure if this is the thread for it, but my most recent child is now two and my husband is deep into the idea of having one more. We already have four, two girls and two boys, and he wants a "tie breaker." He's excellent with babies and changes diapers and all that but I have a couple of concerns:

1. I'm 35 and he's 33, and the youngest boy (11) and my husband's brother are both autistic. I'm concerned that having a baby at my age with our histories could cause something wrong developmentally.

2. I'm really feeling the desire to have another but I'm not sure if it's truly to have another or more to do with enjoying pregnancy and the fact that my oldest is 16 and having babies makes me feel less like I could become a grandmother at my age.

Can anyone whose had consecutive babies at this age chime in? I can't tell if this is just my biological clock screaming at me for one last shot at youth.

I'm 35, my fiancée is 33. He has a 13 year old son. I have an 18 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. As far as I was concerned, I was done having children. I had begun to look into different sterilization methods. My kids are old enough to be left alone, I don't have to worry about babysitters. I loved my life the way it was. I didn't want to start completely over. Then I met my fiancée and my biological alarm clock started screaming at me. My daughter is now older than I was when I had her. That just made me cringe to type that. I worry about being able to get pregnant, both because of my age and because of all those years of using different birth control methods... and all the things that could potentially wrong (mostly because of my age) if we DO get pregnant now. We are on month 4 of trying and I should probably head over to the getting knocked up thread. I just wanted to let you know that there's someone out there who is sort of in the same situation as you. :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Stairs posted:

I have 4 children, oldest is 18 and youngest is 16 months. I also have a 3 and a half year old so he was just over 2 when I had my youngest at 34. Personally I hate the smaller age gap although now they are getting a bit older and play together sometimes I can see some of the positive side. The older children are good with the young ones and they all have a good relationship with each other.

I don't want to have any more children but not because of any particular reason - just a sense that I am done with it and don't want to go back. If I did want to though I wouldn't see anything wrong with it. If you are really concerned about the risk of development issues it'd probably be good to talk to someone but 35 isn't that old I don't think so shouldn't have too much of a bearing (though I really don't know at all)

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

The wife and I are recently married. We talked about kids and the ever famous "when we're financially ready" talk. I'm hopeful but I know when theres 0 debt and tons of saving, we'll probably be 50 which isnt realistic. So what we are wondering is--is there an amount we should save up prior to having the kid as a safety net of money for hospital visits or items? This isnt for the birthing costs and check ups since I know thats different on region and insurance. More so just a general savings account specifically for the kid in preparation. Or are we overthinking it and you just shoot one out and hope for the best with finances? :shrug:

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
If you don't get wage replacement maternity leave, saving up enough to cover what you'd lose when she's on maternity leave is not a bad idea. We don't all live in glorious Sweden/Norway after all. I'd imagine the other major ongoing cost following that would be formula/diapers if you're using either, and then childcare. Having a budget is essential, then you can work out whether you can afford the extra costs in the first 5 years and beyond. If you're particularly financially cluey you could do more detailed analyses taking into account interruption to career holding back expected salary increases, or anticipated salary increases etc. Obviously it all depend on your individual circumstances. The BFC forum may help.

Most people I talk to seem to just wing it though. Which sounds terrifying to me, but perhaps that's just parenting in general.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, uh, speaking of the thread title... my wife has had a fantastic first pregnancy up until a couple of weeks ago when a gigantic Hemorrhoid moved in. It was big enough (and painful enough :( ) that the doctor said "Oh my god...you've made it angry. Honestly, you should probably name it as well as the baby."

Yesterday was her due date and we're inducing tomorrow (it was a long talked about decision, but basically she is just done being pregnant). The hemorrhoid has abated in terms of pain (but is still a little painful...just nothing like at first), but is still pretty present... and she's really worried about what that will do during delivery. Anybody have any experience with that?

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

nyerf posted:

If you don't get wage replacement maternity leave, saving up enough to cover what you'd lose when she's on maternity leave is not a bad idea. We don't all live in glorious Sweden/Norway after all. I'd imagine the other major ongoing cost following that would be formula/diapers if you're using either, and then childcare. Having a budget is essential, then you can work out whether you can afford the extra costs in the first 5 years and beyond. If you're particularly financially cluey you could do more detailed analyses taking into account interruption to career holding back expected salary increases, or anticipated salary increases etc. Obviously it all depend on your individual circumstances. The BFC forum may help.

Most people I talk to seem to just wing it though. Which sounds terrifying to me, but perhaps that's just parenting in general.

We both have paid maternity leaves for work and she has the added benefit of working from home(but need to travel very sporadically) so we'd still probably need a daycare as I cant just up and take off for my job as easy. So it sounds as though the actual savings ahead of time isnt THAT big of a deal if we still have our income during maternity? And does it make sense saving for diapers/formula ahead of time given the cost of them?

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Looks like I'll be joining in here soon. I got some positive results when testing this morning and have a doctor's appointment already scheduled for Tuesday where they were planning to run a pregnancy test. I have really irregular cycles, and its a new doctor, so they wanted to see if I was pregnant or not. Looks like I may be.

I don't think it'll hit me until the doctor confirms it, even though I took multiple tests all saying the same thing.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Duxwig posted:

We both have paid maternity leaves for work and she has the added benefit of working from home(but need to travel very sporadically) so we'd still probably need a daycare as I cant just up and take off for my job as easy. So it sounds as though the actual savings ahead of time isnt THAT big of a deal if we still have our income during maternity? And does it make sense saving for diapers/formula ahead of time given the cost of them?

It'd depend on your individual financial circumstances. If you literally don't have 3-6 months worth of every expense you can think of saved up in an emergency fund then at least do that. It goes without saying this isn't like getting a dog, if one of you loses their job for whatever reason you need to be able to look after things, you can't really give the baby back. How much things cost will depend on where you live, might be interesting for you to have a go with pricing out how much you'd have to spend immediately in a lump sum if the baby landed in your lap *today*. And then work out what happens if both of you lose both your jobs and then the car gets totaled/roof starts to leak badly/water heater explodes, what are you going to do? Apologies in advance if I'm going over stuff you already know, but just in case.

Mind you, it's true you can't ever not plan enough and prepare enough, but do as much as you can. Babies are stressful enough as is without financial worries too.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
And remember that from the moment you start trying, you will have AT LEAST 9 months before you have an actual baby in the house, and while some people get pregnant right away, it can take a while for others. So while planning and being in a sound financial place is good, don't feel like absolutely everything has to be ready before you even start making the baby.

And you can get so much baby stuff cheap or for free if you get it used, and if you've got friends/family who are in the baby business, you can borrow tons of stuff from them. Baby doesn't care if it spits up on new fancy outfits or hand-me-downs.

I live in magical Norway, so I have no idea what constitutes "financially sound" in the US, but as long as you both have jobs, and can afford to take baby to the doctor if it gets sick, and you live in a decent and reasonably clean home, I'd say go for it :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

One of my in-laws just had a baby and she got a ton of good quality stuff (a stroller, swing and a few other things) for cheap just because they were barely used. They just washed everything they could and gave the rest a once over with some disinfectant wipes to be on the safe side.

This same person also ended up with a pretty unexpected and major formula expense because she planned to breast feed, but it didn't work out. So that's something to consider just in case nature decides not to cooperate.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hi, thread! I'm pregnant, yay! And I didn't know thus thread existed, so that's awesome.

Funhilde posted:

Posting in this thread again. Only about 5/6 weeks along but feeling some serious nerves. I don't know that I'll be comfortable until after I pass the point that we were the last time I was pregnant and miscarried. Anyone have any calming suggestions?

Any food stuffs you really loved eating in your first trimester? Any exercise routines that were good/helpful?
Congrats, Funhilde! I'm quoting this from a page back because I am in the same boat, so I don't really have much advice (wish I did), but interested in any advice others might have.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
Hey congrats to the newly pregnant! My best piece of advice would be to buy yourself a few good quality pillows, I really appreciated them later on since sleeping with one between your knees and ankles (with another kind of wedged under your bump and one more behind you) really helps ward off some of the worst pelvic pain if you're suffering a bit. Get yourself a bunch of nice bath stuff too :3: and if anybody starts stressing you out, be it family or a health professional or whoever, don't be afraid to tell them to gently caress off, seriously.

edit: put a stash of antacid tablets next to your bed - the first time I had reflux was in the middle of the night and it hurt like crazy and there was no 24 hour store nearby.

Ambystoma fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 12, 2014

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. I'm 14 weeks now, after 2 miscarriages (one at 7 weeks, one at 11 weeks), I thought I would 'feel' better by 12 weeks just passing that 'magic hurdle'...but I still don't feel excited like I was with my first 2 kids...like at any moment another miscarriage could happen. I do get some mild relief when I go in and see the baby moving around on the ultrasound, but that quickly wears off after awhile. I am hoping by maybe 18-20 weeks when I actually start feeling the baby move I'll be more "Yeah I am having a baby YIPPEE" excitement. I've brought up my concerns with my doctor and she says it's all normal which is good, because I feel like feeling like this would be fasttraking it to PPD or something.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've been doing what I can to remain positive. We go back to the Doctor on the 25th for our 12 week ultrasound and I'm just going to keep up my spirits for that as much as possible.

My sense of smell right now can go to hell. Everything is just waiting around the corner to set off my gagging. The human body is a strange thing.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

Funhilde posted:

My sense of smell right now can go to hell. Everything is just waiting around the corner to set off my gagging. The human body is a strange thing.

I had this same problem. If its any consolation, this side effect faded for me around week 14. However, I still can't feed my cats without wanting to throw up. There is just something about cat food smell that makes me feel icky.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Ambellina posted:

I had this same problem. If its any consolation, this side effect faded for me around week 14. However, I still can't feed my cats without wanting to throw up. There is just something about cat food smell that makes me feel icky.

It is already coming and going so that is good. I may also just be better at not letting certain smells into the house. I made a "no meat" or leftovers are to be thrown in the kitchen trash and my husband is feeding the cats.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

Funhilde posted:

certain smells

Last pregnancy I really enjoyed drinking water with a little lemon juice in it. Helped offset the super-nose and lingering tastes that seemed to come with it.

Weirdly this time is completely different - still super-nose but greatly reduced gag reflex stuff, yay! More heartburn, though :/

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've only had one bout with heartburn so far. I assume it is just early. I've also not been to into eating fried foods- which I guess is a good thing.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

Funhilde posted:

I've only had one bout with heartburn so far. I assume it is just early. I've also not been to into eating fried foods- which I guess is a good thing.

Yeah, I only have five more weeks or so before Dragonet B makes his appearance. Looking forward to having more room for my internal organs. And being able to put on shoes without doing awkward yoga moves.
Though fried foods - last pregnancy I couldn't stand them, especially early on. This time around I've craved doughnuts off and on the entire way! Aren't hormones crazy?!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Rathina posted:

I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. I'm 14 weeks now, after 2 miscarriages (one at 7 weeks, one at 11 weeks), I thought I would 'feel' better by 12 weeks just passing that 'magic hurdle'...but I still don't feel excited like I was with my first 2 kids...like at any moment another miscarriage could happen. I do get some mild relief when I go in and see the baby moving around on the ultrasound, but that quickly wears off after awhile. I am hoping by maybe 18-20 weeks when I actually start feeling the baby move I'll be more "Yeah I am having a baby YIPPEE" excitement. I've brought up my concerns with my doctor and she says it's all normal which is good, because I feel like feeling like this would be fasttraking it to PPD or something.

I felt like that when I got pregnant after a miscarriage, it was well over 20 weeks by the time I actually felt pregnant and I don't think I ever really got past the whole feeling like it wasn't real thing (but then my waters broke at 32 weeks so the third trimester was nearly all in hospital anyway). When she came home with us and we got into proper life it was all fine though - I felt exactly the same as I did for all my children.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Sorry to say, friends, but I'm two months post-partum and still really sensitive to a lot of smells. Thankfully the nausea that used to accompany it went away, but they still gross me out and make me leave the room.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'm finding minor relief by doing my sinus rinsing and trying to keep my head less congested overall. Everything still smells but I seem to have better control.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
So my usual GP went on maternity leave around the last time I failed at pregnancy, so I've gotten used to seeing this other doctor and she was really good.

I went to make an appointment today, only to find out my (now regular) doctor is no longer at the practice. I googled her, to see if I could find out where she went, because gently caress changing yet again.

Turns out she left for TV. Shes delivering babies at John Hunter hospital on a reality show. You couldn't make this poo poo up.

I gotta find another GP.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite

Big Bug Hug posted:

So my usual GP went on maternity leave around the last time I failed at pregnancy, so I've gotten used to seeing this other doctor and she was really good.

I went to make an appointment today, only to find out my (now regular) doctor is no longer at the practice. I googled her, to see if I could find out where she went, because gently caress changing yet again.

Turns out she left for TV. Shes delivering babies at John Hunter hospital on a reality show. You couldn't make this poo poo up.

I gotta find another GP.
John hunter in Newcastle, Australia? If so I have a fantastic recommendation for a GP. I don't have PMs though.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

annaconda posted:

John hunter in Newcastle, Australia? If so I have a fantastic recommendation for a GP. I don't have PMs though.

Yes! Please, email me vaywen at gmail if you don't want to post here. I would be very grateful! :D

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 16, 2014

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite

Big Bug Hug posted:

Yes! Please, email me vaywen at gmail if you don't want to post here. I would be very grateful! :D

Email sent, good luck!

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

So this happened!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Congratulations!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Congratulations dude!

I can't believe my tiny baby is three months old now. Just this time last year I was enjoying my last PAX as a free woman. Crazy how much things change in a year!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Did the big announcement this week. Already scoring some maternity clothes and a stroller. Keep up the donations friends- I'm self employed...

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

cailleask posted:

Congratulations dude!

I can't believe my tiny baby is three months old now. Just this time last year I was enjoying my last PAX as a free woman. Crazy how much things change in a year!

Seriously. My little one is three months now too and she has so much personality. I don't even know where the last year has gone.

Congrats, Absolute Evil!

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

amethystbliss posted:

Congrats, Absolute Evil!

Thank you. I have two hoodlums already but seeing as they are 18 and almost 13, it's been awhile. So I kind of feel like I'm brand new at this again. All of our close family have been told, I'm dreading having to tell work in a few weeks though. Both of my previous pregnancies were so easy, this one is already not as much fun...hello all day sickness!Course, I'm an old fart this time, I'm sure that doesn't help.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Wow, 18 and 13! I have a 13 year old and one on the way. It seems harder this time, or maybe I've just forgotten. Having them so dar apart is... weird. I think a big age difference is kinda cool, though.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Are there any prenatal vitamins out there that are NOT the size of a AA battery? I have a horrible time swallowing pills regardless but trying to choke down something that tastes not so pleasant when I'm nauseous is just not working. I really don't like gummy vitamins either.

Edit: I picked up Walgreens Prenatal Multi +DHA, and they look like kidney beans on steroids. Yikes!

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Try cutting them into 4ths maybe? That's what I'd do if I had to take thwm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Flintstones are highly recommended by my midwife. You can add an extra folate supplement to bring it up to prenatal vitamin levels. Those are usually tiny.