Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The only thing the GBA version added was a sprint button. The SNES patch adds that in anyway though.

Well, that and nicer looking menus. Not much by any means but I think they look snazzy. Although it's funny because the menus refer to the currency as Zenny but you still get dialog saying you got X many "coins."

Does nothing for the other problems, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I can't believe the FFVII hacker is complaining about Cait Sith but not Red XIII. Both or neither! Be consistent!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

The BoF2 official SNES translation was done by Capcom itself. In the early 90s. Around the same time they were knocking out translations like 'You must defeat Shen Long to stand a chance.'

There's dozens of lines on the same level as 'this guy are sick', and the game's main plot dump is outright incomprehensible.

The fan-retranslation for it is pretty solid. No dumb 'let's just directly romanize the japanese name' choices, no Crime Hazard, no 'this is MY fanfic but I will enforce it on the game' decisions, just translating the game as best they can and making it all flow in English. If there's a bad pun in Japanese, they actually localize it and make it a bad pun in English instead of just directly translating the bad pun into nonsense.

(they're gonna kill a plantman)

There's a coupled of stilted lines and the translator tries too hard to use official terms from later Breath of Fire games but overall the whole thing is pretty solid.

It's worth noting that the BoF2 rewrite initially caught flak because there were a ton of raunchy sexual jokes written into the script, and then it turned out, welp, that was all in the original as well. Breath of Fire is a weird loving series.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

maou shoujo posted:

I can't believe the FFVII hacker is complaining about Cait Sith but not Red XIII. Both or neither! Be consistent!

yeah but Red looks cool and that's what FFVII is - cool. Super serious and super cool.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TARDISman posted:

I can see an FFVIII retranslation now...

"We will not change Final Fantasy VIII's plot in any way."

"The following characters are being removed for being insignificant and poorly written:
Zell
Selphie
Irvine
Cid
CC Group
Seifer
Raijin
Ultimecia
Laguna
Kid Ellone
Rinoa
The holes in the cast will be replaced by characters from my FFVIII fanfiction 'Better Off Forgotten,' a sweeping 3000 chapter story that elaborates on what I think the FFVIII universe is about and the dangers of GF use."

All characters replaced by NORG!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Oxxidation posted:

It's worth noting that the BoF2 rewrite initially caught flak because there were a ton of raunchy sexual jokes written into the script, and then it turned out, welp, that was all in the original as well. Breath of Fire is a weird loving series.

I'm pretty sure Japan has always been a fan of sexual jokes in games, it didn't really fly as well in the west back in the day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

maou shoujo posted:

Replace Cait Sith and Red XIII with Rude and Reno respectively.

Oxxidation posted:

Kanfy posted:

I'm pretty sure Japan has always been a fan of sexual jokes in games, it didn't really fly as well in the west back in the day.

BoF4 had a scene where (though you don't see anything) some nasty toad merchant rapes Nina. They kept that in the localization but cut a bathhouse scene, an accidental boob grope, and a pants-dropping dare. They also cut a beheading scene, though not really related to the sexual content of the previous scenes. The game was still released well into the "Playstation Games Are Edgy" era. The localization team decided to do all of that instead of take the time to translate a whole bunch of text (including the end credits), which were either left in Japanese or cut entirely. :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 13, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Mak0rz posted:

Replace Cait Sith and Red XIII with Rude and Reno respectively.

BoF4 had a scene where (though you don't see anything) some nasty toad merchant rapes Nina.

:stare:

Why the hell would they keep that? :cry:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think it was literal rape, I think he just felt her up a bit and leered a lot. Which, you know, is still sexual assault and still hosed up, but it's basically the same as the Don Corneo scenes from FF7.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Here's my FF8 retranslation idea: Remove any and all of Squall's internal monologue boxes. Don't replace them with anything, just try and make sense of the character 'arcs' and plot as the rest of the setting sees it.

This would make the "past tense" scene hilarious.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Endorph posted:

I don't think it was literal rape, I think he just felt her up a bit and leered a lot.

Yeah, it's possible that I had a more cynical interpretation of it. Regardless, some sort of sexual assault happened and the localization team left it in.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Rirse posted:

NORG is Ultimecia.

Here is my 39-point thesis on why N=U, focusing on moombas (which are now munba-san in my translation)...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The BoF IV localization also censored the fact that Scias was an alcoholic and thus had slurred speech instead of the sort of adorable stutter we got.

It was not a very cheerful game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Here's my FF8 retranslation idea: Remove any and all of Squall's internal monologue boxes. Don't replace them with anything, just try and make sense of the character 'arcs' and plot as the rest of the setting sees it.

Or just remove Squall entirely, kinda like those Garfield strips that make Jon look insane.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

This would make the "past tense" scene hilarious.

That scene is the one that gave me the idea during my last playthrough. I just thought "Rinoa is having a moment about a childhood friend and everyone's comforting her and then all of a sudden me quiet sullen pants just starts screaming about 'NO ONE'S GONNA TALK ABOUT ME IN THE PAST TENSE!' ". He's just such an awkward weirdo and I actually think I'd prefer the story that way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

Bujurururu! KURSE-ALL-SEEDs! THIS-IS-MY-GARDEN! MY-TIME-KOMPRESSION!

Speaking absolutely seriously, I would love FFVIII with more NORG. He was one of the most memorable parts of the game...

Also in the FFVIIi retrans, since it is a super-serious game, before the Garden Battle Squall's orders will say nothing about "protecting the hot dogs." Maybe something more like "keep younger classmen hidden. Enemies are unlikely to take prisoners and will disembowel even chldren on sight."

At least we'd finally see Balamb Garden as the super-hosed up institution that it was and get rid of thE goddam facade of just a stupid school.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Krad posted:

Or just remove Squall entirely, kinda like those Garfield strips that make Jon look insane.

I'd be fine if they completely reworked the story to just be about Laguna and co.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Filthy Casual posted:

I'd be fine if they completely reworked the story to just be about Laguna and co.

I would love an FF8: The Man with the Machine Gun, where you play as Laguna and crew the whole time.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Really, any FF game that's consistently fun to play would be nice. Haven't had that since X.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
We have a release date, folks: "June 2015". If they stick to it, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll be interested to see that playable demo.

Nevermind, clickbait site, disregard.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 13, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The fact that we actually got any news before TGS is pleasing and a playable demo is actually some really good news.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Mak0rz posted:

How so? FF9 has a really quirky ATB system that is active at all times, unlike in previous games where it paused while attacks were being executed. The only thing the Wait setting does in the config menu is make it pause while selecting commands. It's really easy to exploit this to your advantage. All you have to do is select a command (open an Item or ability menu or select Attack and let the finger wait on the enemy target, or whatever). ATB is not active during this. When you're ready to let time move again, confirm the command.

Here's the simple version:
  • Pause ATB while members of your party are executing any action. Only confirm it after the character returns to their idle position and stance. This applies for characters attacking, countering, using items, Auto-Potion, etc. You do this because you do not want to let enemies' gauges fill if any of your characters are waiting to move.
  • Let time go as normal while enemies are executing their actions.

In reality it's a bit more complicated than that as the above strategy is contingent on how many enemies there are, how many characters you have waiting for input, how much of the ATB bars are filled, etc. I never needed to make use of that in vanilla, but it's saved my rear end many times in the Unleashed hack.

I don't really like that since it is more difficult to suss out what is a counterattack and what is simply an enemy's action. It's ok for trash mobs but for bosses where you want to get healing off where it become a hassle. It feels like I'm punished for picking an action. I don't know maybe I just don't like atb anymore?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A release date? drat, that's great.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lessail posted:

I don't really like that since it is more difficult to suss out what is a counterattack and what is simply an enemy's action.

Let time flow during all enemy actions. Pause time during all player actions. It kind of works both ways, though, as status ailments are affected by the ATB timer. Both Regen and Poison, for example, are made near useless when using my strategy, and both buffs and debuffs last longer because you're pausing their countdown timers willy-nilly.

Lessail posted:

It's ok for trash mobs but for bosses where you want to get healing off where it become a hassle. It feels like I'm punished for picking an action. I don't know maybe I just don't like atb anymore?

ATB was a nice gimmick when it was first implemented, as it was pretty much unseen in RPGs before, but it added an aspect of randomness that people were okay with at first and eventually started to piss off players without them even realizing it by the time FFIX came around. When it was announced that FFX dropped the ATB system and introduced an updating turn list right in the battle HUD, there was actually a lot of flak from fans with worries that it would make battles slow and uninteresting and make the game too easy. That is, until people played it and realized how refreshing it is to be able to strategically plan your battles again.

FFXIII and its sister games updated the ATB system. I thought it was great myself (Disclaimer: I've yet to play FFX-2), but a lot of people weren't happy about it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will be utterly shocked if it doesn't get delayed.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Let time flow during all enemy actions. Pause time during all player actions.

great system

everything else about ff9 is neat and good but the battles are just something I've grown tired of doing

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, it's possible that I had a more cynical interpretation of it. Regardless, some sort of sexual assault happened and the localization team left it in.

I'm reminded of FFXII which was edited for the Japan but had the scene in overseas versions. It was a scene where Penelo was kidnapped. Apparently, there was a large child kidnapping story going around in Japan and they didn't want any controversy during FFXII's release.

Captain Mog posted:

We have a release date, folks: "June 2015". If they stick to it, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll be interested to see that playable demo.

Isn't that the clickbait website that made up news about Final Fantasy XV during e3 to get easy hits?

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/27783/20140707/final-fantasy-xv-pc.htm

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/29359/20140718/final-fantasy-xv-pc-release-date-confirmed.htm

For that matter, no other gaming news site is reporting the announcement of FFXV's release date.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

I'm reminded of FFXII which was edited for the Japan but had the scene in overseas versions. It was a scene where Penelo was kidnapped. Apparently, there was a large child kidnapping story going around in Japan and they didn't want any controversy during FFXII's release.

Isn't that the clickbait website that made up news about Final Fantasy XV during e3 to get easy hits?

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/29359/20140718/final-fantasy-xv-pc-release-date-confirmed.htm

For that matter, no other gaming news site is reporting the announcement of FFXV's release date.

Oh, you're right, it is. Haha, that's what I get for not clicking.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh welp, nix that then I suppose.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lessail posted:

great system

It's normally not necessary to use at all, but you said you were having issues with the final battles and aside from grinding abilities (grinding EXP probably won't be helpful for you at this point) it's all the advice I can give you :shrug:. Giving everyone Auto-Haste (especially coupled with Auto-Regen/Life), HP/MP+ 10/20%, and some status resistances will probably make the fights comparatively trivial.

Lessail posted:

everything else about ff9 is neat and good but the battles are just something I've grown tired of doing

This I can understand. I'm feeling the same now, and I'm still getting through Disc 3.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Sunning posted:

Welp nevermind then. I hate the internet. I usually don't fall for this poo poo, either.

Back to waiting until 2021 :mad:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Lessail posted:

great system

Yeah, I love FF9, but the battle system has a lot of issues. Unless you abuse that whole "strategic menu opening" approach, things like buffs and debuffs only last about a turn and a half.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

It's normally not necessary to use at all, but you said you were having issues with the final battles and aside from grinding abilities (grinding EXP probably won't be helpful for you at this point) it's all the advice I can give you :shrug:. Giving everyone Auto-Haste (especially coupled with Auto-Regen/Life), HP/MP+ 10/20%, and some status resistances will probably make the fights comparatively trivial.

This I can understand. I'm feeling the same now, and I'm still getting through Disc 3.

Yeah I think the last straw was having reflect on vivi and then zidane attacks and then necron attacked and the time spent wasted the reflect and then vivi killed himself. I'm at level 63/64 and I want it to be over. I just fled all fights in the crystal world because gently caress it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lessail posted:

Yeah I think the last straw was having reflect on vivi and then zidane attacks and then necron attacked and the time spent wasted the reflect and then vivi killed himself. I'm at level 63/64 and I want it to be over. I just fled all fights in the crystal world because gently caress it.

This is how I felt by the end of FF9. I felt like I was missing something crucial with the battle system but it always felt like enemies were loving me sideways while my poo poo was charging; Necron being the biggest offender. To this day I just don't care for the game as much as the others.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So I'm playing ffxii izjs for the first time and I was wondering what the thematically best jobs for each character are (no max-max bs). This is my current lineup:
Vaan - Uhlan
Balthier - Hunter
Fran - Red Mage
Penelo - Monk
Basch - will be Knight, maybe
Ashe - will be Samurai, maybe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked

Vaan - Samurai
Balthier - Machinist
Fran - Archer
Penelo - Black Mage
Basch - Knight
Ashe - White Mage

But you can justify a lot of jobs for just about everyone.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Captain Mog posted:

Welp nevermind then. I hate the internet. I usually don't fall for this poo poo, either.

Back to waiting until 2021 :mad:

I just want to know why a Korean pop culture website keeps talking about Final Fantasy XV.

Other than that the cast of FFXV looks like a Korean boy band.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What's Noctis Lucis Caelum in Korean? Also what is it in English?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Level Slide posted:

What's Noctis Lucis Caelum in Korean? Also what is it in English?

Noctis Lucis Caelum, Noct for short, is a playable character and the protagonist of Final Fantasy XV. He is a prince, the last heir to a dynasty of the kingdom of Lucis, being the last kingdom to have control over crystals. From his throne, he defends his kingdom from marauders and barbarians who seek to conquer the city and claim the crystals by force. Due to an accident in his childhood, Noctis becomes able to see the "light", and he gains the power to foresee a person's death.

Noctis has a number of companions, including his driver and a fugitive, and his family is known to operate in a similar manner to the modern-day mafia. Though he does not wish to fight her, circumstances force him to do battle with Stella Nox Fleuret, and he is speculated to be opposed by a mysterious man robed entirely in white.

Like Lightning, Sephiroth and Cloud Strife, Noctis also has his own eau de toilette scent sold by Square Enix Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I will be very disappointed if Night Light Calm doesn't have a really lovely Brooklyn accent in the English version.