Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Don't believe people when they tell you the newer, more expensive champs aren't better. They are, not necessarily in power, but in animation and interesting kits.

But yes, in reality none of will mean anything to you until you actually start playing the game so I recommend you do that first and see what you like. You said you came from Dota 2, if you were any good in that you should have no problem smashing pre-30 games until you can play ranked, at which point you will immediately place into Gold like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Leveling 1-30 in LOL is a horrible, godawful experience. You should know this going in. The game is far more user friendly than DOTA though, which is really why everyone plays it.

Annie is free this week and is incredibly easy to pick up and play because she can CS for free with a skill and has huge burst. If you understand the basic ideas of laning from DOTA, how to trade with and not just sit in minions tanking them, Darius is probably a champion you can play pretty well.

The way the game is set up, you basically want to just buy 450/1350 IP champs to start. If you get to the point where you consider spending actual money on the game, the two best things to buy are 6300/975 champions when they go on sale and rune page bundles. The way cost scaling works, the cheaper champions are great deals with IP and horrible deals with RP unless you buy them in the two bundles.

No matter what you do, getting everything you need to not be at a meaningful disadvantage will take you a year plus and probably 50 bucks. The rune system is a massive lovely timesink. You don't need anywhere near all of them, but the ones that are actually good still take a lot of time to get.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Why do different heroes have different costs? Are they inherently better?

There are five tiers, 475, 1350, 3150, 4800 and 6300 IP, newest champions are always 6300 (they're 7300 for like a week when they are released), every time one champion is released one is knocked down to the previous tier. There's exceptions like Garen (who should be 4800) which were arbitrarily set like they are by Riot.

Generally, you should have all the 475 IP champions as they are mostly very easy to play and there's basically one for every position in the game. They should provide you with a decent enough champion pool for you to play your first games. The 1350 tier is similarly filled with relatively simple characters, which you should probably get a few of.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

I always thought the best way to put money into League was to buy a couple of IP/EXP boosts by day (like 7-days' worth) and then spamming games hardcore that entire week. Actually buying champions with RP seems really, really inefficient unless you really, really want one particular one. I'd honestly play free week/450 IP champs until level 30 and I have enough IP to buy that one or two champions that I REALLY enjoyed during their free weeks, along with the absolutely mandatory runes and (one?) rune page for a total of 3.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

fnox posted:

There are five tiers, 475, 1350, 3150, 4800 and 6300 IP, newest champions are always 6300 (they're 7300 for like a week when they are released), every time one champion is released one is knocked down to the previous tier. There's exceptions like Garen (who should be 4800) which were arbitrarily set like they are by Riot.

Generally, you should have all the 475 IP champions as they are mostly very easy to play and there's basically one for every position in the game. They should provide you with a decent enough champion pool for you to play your first games. The 1350 tier is similarly filled with relatively simple characters, which you should probably get a few of.

450, not 475, and 7800, not 7300. Aside from that, that's generally good advice except with one addendum: you really, really don't need to buy Poppy as a new player. I'm sure some of the poppy players in the thread will get irked by me but there really is no reason for a first time player to be using Poppy.

If you're into marksman, be sure to pick up Caitlyn at some point early on because she is a very easy and forgiving carry to play.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mierenneuker posted:

Hey Servaetes, add this guy's stream to the OP please. He's obviously too shy to ask you himself.

:shy: me, never

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pay someone to level your account to 30 and then hop right into ranked. It's the only way you'll learn.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

How Rude posted:

Fiddlestick's weakness would be that he has no answer to champions without his team's help to enemies like Vi or Udyr just walking in and whacking him to death with their superior mobility and interrupts for his drain, and pre-6 ganks are kind of hard to pull off.

A lot of Fiddles' jungle "counters" who walk in and try to fight him are mitigated sharply by waiting for CC to be blown before you actually drain!

Very few champions early can take his drains on the chin when they can't interrupt them. I've killed tons of Big 3s trying cheeky stuff in my jungle even when they were strong because they wouldn't respect the drain. Elises are especially funny as Rappel doesn't break tether.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
If you are new to LoL I suggest 2 things:

1. Find a handful of champions you enjoy playing and play them a lot in your PvP matches. As an example, maybe learn Garen for top lane, Annie for mid, Caitlyn for ADC, and Sona for support (worry about jungle later).

2. Every Monday night/Tuesday, the 10 free champions rotate. There will always be 1 or 2 champions that fill each "role" in the free rotation. If you can, try every champ in the free week you have not played before in a bot game or a PvP normal. Doing this not only helps you find someone you might mesh with better, but will also help you learn their strengths and weaknesses so you may better fight against them.

Most importantly over owning a champion you like is knowing how to control the game's flow and understanding the mechanics. Things like knowing when you can easily dive someone, when you or an enemy are over extended, and when to judge how a fight will go before even engaging it will help you much more over having the latest released champion.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

A lot of Fiddles' jungle "counters" who walk in and try to fight him are mitigated sharply by waiting for CC to be blown before you actually drain!

Very few champions early can take his drains on the chin when they can't interrupt them. I've killed tons of Big 3s trying cheeky stuff in my jungle even when they were strong because they wouldn't respect the drain. Elises are especially funny as Rappel doesn't break tether.

Yeah but if you "try and fight him" after he's taken blue you've already hosed up. Fiddlesticks is probably the best champion to invade in the game unless your team is radically shittier than them Level 1, and if you take his blue he is pretty much out of the game for the next 5-6 minutes as he struggles to get to level 3 and take the 7 minute blue.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What sort of skill order are people using on the new Sona? Q-W-E? Usual support items too? utility that is, and not AP focus?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There's so much vision, I wouldn't trust doing an invade.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Jeez, the Final Boss Veigar skin has a shitload of videogame quotes. I can dig the nods to Kefka and Garland and Altered Beast.

Looks like nobody threw up the video for him, so here he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgo0NRN4WoM
woops sorry wodin, beat me to the punch

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 13, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Something else that bears mention is to not bother with the tutorial as it is completely worthless poo poo.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

There's so much vision, I wouldn't trust doing an invade.

Well, you really don't have to be sneaky about it. You can bring a large clump of your team and just force their blue buff under the knowledge that Fiddlesticks isn't bringing much to the table level 1 unless he gets a point blank drain on you, nobody has ignite, and you have no CC.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my pog boyfriend posted:

Yeah but if you "try and fight him" after he's taken blue you've already hosed up. Fiddlesticks is probably the best champion to invade in the game unless your team is radically shittier than them Level 1, and if you take his blue he is pretty much out of the game for the next 5-6 minutes as he struggles to get to level 3 and take the 7 minute blue.

Teams don't really invade as a group anymore, the cost of going into probably warded enemy territory doesn't pay off like it used to. I main jungle and I only see level 2 jungle red invades any more.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs

chumbler posted:

Something else that bears mention is to not bother with the tutorial as it is completely worthless poo poo.

The new Intro Bots games are way better about that, including basic lane mechanics and combat lessons.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Is there an option to go 1&4 bots vs 5 bots? or is it just 5 players vs bots?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

itsjustdrew posted:

Make a custom game

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

itsjustdrew posted:

You won't get any exp or ip from it, but you can create a custom game by yourself and fill every other slot with bots.

League of Legends Wiki posted:

When adding bots to your custom game, disregarding any humans players on either team, the bots will go to a lane as follows:

1st and 4th bots go bottom, 2nd and 5th bots go top, and 3rd bot goes mid.

If you're thinking of doing this to try to learn jungle; don't. You get no leash and your first clear will be atrocious, and you'll have absolutely zero jungle pressure from the other team because the bots completely ignore the jungle.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

itsjustdrew posted:

Yes, you can put bots on both teams in a custom game.

e:fb

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

a medical mystery posted:

Teams don't really invade as a group anymore, the cost of going into probably warded enemy territory doesn't pay off like it used to. I main jungle and I only see level 2 jungle red invades any more.

Well of course there's the "we saw the invade coming, can't fight, but we can take their blue!" angle, but unless Fiddlesticks is taking your blue buff since the entire goal of invading him is to keep him from being able to reliably jungle you can consider your operation a success.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Aerox posted:

If you're thinking of doing this to try to learn jungle; don't. You get no leash and your first clear will be atrocious, and you'll have absolutely zero jungle pressure from the other team because the bots completely ignore the jungle.

So it's the old S2 way? 2 top 1 mid 2 bot?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

itsjustdrew posted:

So it's the old S2 way? 2 top 1 mid 2 bot?

Yep. The bots essentially treat the jungle as if it doesn't exist, except to occasionally walk through it if they're moving between lanes.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Aerox posted:

Yep. The bots essentially treat the jungle as if it doesn't exist, except to occasionally walk through it if they're moving between lanes.

could be a good way to learn shaco without being pressured to gank.Can you pick both teams or just one? or just your own?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

itsjustdrew posted:

could be a good way to learn shaco without being pressured to gank.Can you pick both teams or just one? or just your own?

All of them. Just create a custom game on Summoner's Riff, and hit add bot in every slot until it's full, then tweak them to the champs/difficulty you want.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Aerox posted:

All of them. Just create a custom game on Summoner's Riff, and hit add bot in every slot until it's full, then tweak them to the champs/difficulty you want.

Thanks! Thanks to you all! I'll give this a try next week when I'm back home.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

itsjustdrew posted:

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Shaco is and accomplishes in games and I don't really know how to break it to you but that is literally all there is to the champion and trying to play Shaco without being pressured to gank is the easiest way to give your team a 4v5 aside from AFKing

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

my pog boyfriend posted:

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Shaco is and accomplishes in games and I don't really know how to break it to you but that is literally all there is to the champion and trying to play Shaco without being pressured to gank is the easiest way to give your team a 4v5 aside from AFKing

Which is why I'd be learning the most basic mechanics of him, fixing my lovely clear times, sorting a build I like and THEN learning to gank with BOTS.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

itsjustdrew posted:

how do you not know this

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

how do you not know this

Because I never tried.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Knifegrab posted:

How long would it take to unlock all the heroes just by playing?

gonna quote my own post from a few pages back

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's hard to say exactly since there's a lot of factors going on here but I will attempt math for you.

Assuming I've not buggered up the numbers, all the champions combined would cost you 452,700 IP assuming you got Garen, Alistar and Tristana for free. Let's say your games last around 35 minutes and you lose every one but still somehow get your First Win Of The Day bonus (which is a flat 150 IP with no modifier) which should provide kind of a lowball estimate. League wiki says the formula for IP is calculated like this { [base IP] + ([IP / min] * [game time in minutes]) * [gamemode modifier] } and using some other crap from the wiki gives me:

{16 + (1.405*35)*1} = about 65 IP rounded down for a 35 minute loss. Five of those plus your win of the day would grant you about 476 IP a day. From that it would take you 952 days to gather enough IP for all of the champions. Now assuming you win all of them:

{18 + (2.312*35)*1} = About 99 IP for a 35 minute win. 645 IP a day so that would take 702 days or just under 2 years which assumes you win absolutely every game you play.

so its probably around two and a half years to get all of the champions

Yes, it's pretty retarded and mobile-phone game esque. This poo poo also doesn't account for runes and runepages and stuff which tack some extra measure of time that I couldn't be bothered to math out but absolutely amounts to something since runes aren't something you can just ignore.

If this kind of progression system disgusts you in games, I really just don't recommend getting into the game. I think the game is worth playing regardless but in my experience playing the game, the progression system does absolutely nothing but hinder my fun.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 14, 2014

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Servaetes posted:

Jeez, the Final Boss Veigar skin has a shitload of videogame quotes. I can dig the nods to Kefka and Garland and Altered Beast.

Looks like nobody threw up the video for him, so here he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgo0NRN4WoM
woops sorry wodin, beat me to the punch

I'm not a fan of the filter on his voice, but I heard:
Star Fox 64 (Quite a few times)
Final Fantasy 1/6
Friday The 13th
House Of The Dead
Symphony of The Night
Ocarina Of Time
Altered Beast
X-Men: The Arcade
Portal
Zero Wing
Mario And Luigi: Superstar Saga
Bioshock
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter 2
Pokemon

Might have missed a couple.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
What's a good build for Gangplank if your plan is to split push all year?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Wolery posted:

Probably Shiv + IE (not sure on the order) but I really don't think there's such a thing as a good build on Gangplank at all. He probably has the least cohesive kit in the game.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

LordHippoman posted:

Final Fantasy 1/6
Friday The 13th
House Of The Dead
Symphony of The Night
Ocarina Of Time
Altered Beast
Portal
Zero Wing
Bioshock
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter 2
Pokemon

QUAD DAMAGE.

Can't wait to start seeing Veigar players feed the poo poo outta mid!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Wolery posted:

Hydra.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Final Fantasy 1/6
Friday The 13th
House Of The Dead
Symphony of The Night
Ocarina Of Time
Altered Beast
Portal
Zero Wing
Bioshock
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter 2
Pokemon

I caught Zelda and Gauntlet.

edit: and Chrono Trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Hydra then tank, or could you get away with another offensive item in there?

• Locked thread