Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

TaurusOxford posted:

So I need some criticism/advice goons. For some reason I decided to start up a blog to show off my Gunpla/figure collection(and maybe more, who knows), and I figured I would need some half-decent backdrop to use for photography, so I made this:

Instead of fabric use a large single piece of paper, like thin poster board/paper, that you can curve along the back. It eliminates distracting corners. A light box is a good idea and you can make one out of a large enough cardboard box with really thin, cheap, fabric on the sides and top and then get cheap lamps to light the thing (sides, front, and top). You just run the paper I was was talking about along the back. There's also some light boxes people make out of cloth clothes hampers and you can find examples of it on the internet. Lamps are a lot cheaper than a bunch of flashes, if you're starting out. You just have to make sure you use all the same bulbs (I use cfls for this) and use the white balance settings on your camera for the right color temp with the bulbs. The real key to effective photos, for like product photography, is the elimination of shadows and uniform lighting of the object.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Thanks for all the advice guys. Good news, the light box is coming along nicely, and I found a use for my PG GP01 box:

Do you think it's big enough? :v:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 10, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So I was at otakon this weekend and some clever fucker had set up a gunpla booth literally right inside the front door of the dealer's hall.

NOT PICTURED: the first ten volumes of Knights of Sidonia

I feel I showed a reasonable level of restraint.

Also I'm going to see how many guns the Wing can have on it at once now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 11, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Faltion posted:

The real key to effective photos, for like product photography, is the elimination of shadows and uniform lighting of the object.

Not the elimination of shadows per se: you'll want a certain level of them to provide dimension and dramatic effect. It's true that high contrasts and really dark shadows should be avoided, but perfectly flat lighting is not really what you should be shooting for. Basically, study the pics in the professional hobby mags and try to emulate them.

I am not a very good photographer, but a little playing around with position of the lights and shutter speeds has netted me good results in the past.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

So I was at otakon this weekend and some clever fucker had set up a gunpla booth literally right inside the front door of the dealer's hall.

NOT PICTURED: the first ten volumes of Knights of Sidonia

I feel I showed a reasonable level of restraint.

Also I'm going to see how many guns the Wing can have on it at once now.

any suits in particular that you plan on giving the build booster and extra weapons?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well, after getting some white posterboard and messing with some lights, I have some results:

Looks good to me, but a second opinion is appreciated.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Really only issue I see is your're photo is a tad dark. If you're shooting on a white background you'd ideally want the white in your picture to match the white background of the forums. Of course you don't want to wash out all the details in the picture. I ran your image through Lightroom a couple of different ways, just to show what messing with the color temp, exposure, and balancecontrast can do.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 11, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'd strongly recommend a darker backdrop, for a number of reasons — I like a 30%-40% cool grey, myself.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I was this close to pulling the trigger on the MG Build Strike + MG Universe, instead I showed restraint and shipped out my private warehouse at HLJ.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Monaghan posted:

any suits in particular that you plan on giving the build booster and extra weapons?

Anything I can't bolt onto Wing Gundam Mecha Shiva are probably going to find their way to the thunderbolt GM.

I'm probably going to split the close combat weapons between the crossbone and the gouf because the crossbones needs something to replace those doofy looking femurguns.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mr. stefan posted:

Anything I can't bolt onto Wing Gundam Mecha Shiva are probably going to find their way to the thunderbolt GM.

I'm probably going to split the close combat weapons between the crossbone and the gouf because the crossbones needs something to replace those doofy looking femurguns.

You take that back! The Femurguns are awesome :colbert:. If you don't like them, there's always the cutlass and flintlock beam pistol.

edit: If you want to get the Crossbone Maoh wielding a bunch of melee weapons, look into picking up the Skull Weapon Set. The weapons themselves aren't that great (they're all solid unpainted white), but it comes with a replacement backpack that has grabber arms like the Gunpla Battle Arm Arms.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 11, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

2nd model built - Gundam virtue

Having problems getting the hand to stay together if I try to hold the rifle 1 handed it doesn't seem to snap in very well and just pops off at random, is that kind of normal for large weapons?

http://www.dalong.net/review/00/0h06/0h06_i.htm

http://www.dalong.net/review/00/0h06/p/0h06_mb0007.JPG steps 7/8 you can see the hand creation steps

http://www.dalong.net/review/00/0h06/p/0h06_mb0003.JPG is how I want the model to hold it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The HG 00 hands aren't the stablest, that's normal. You probably don't have any future, so just put some super glue on the gray part's hole, let it dry, then fit the white part in. The increased friction will make a much snugger fit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, hey, decals for the new Hi-Nu HWS are out. It can't make it look as good as that airbrushed one, but-

what :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

S-Alpha posted:

Oh, hey, decals for the new Hi-Nu HWS are out. It can't make it look as good as that airbrushed one, but-

Still fewer than most RG kits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's just the decals for the web-exclusive HWS pack, not for the whole thing. I can't get over how they made decals for the spotted purple bits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well at least we know that the Hi-Nu vKa will have decals for the funnels.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I refuse to believe anyone will ever use those shield decals - they're the dumbest thing i've seen since the sticker sheet for MG Ootori Strike Rouge.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

for a second there I was worried that the unicorn decal was stuck with those hideous purple splotches.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I refuse to believe anyone will ever use those shield decals - they're the dumbest thing i've seen since the sticker sheet for MG Ootori Strike Rouge.

You sure? MethGunpla is a hell of a drug.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

for a second there I was worried that the unicorn decal was stuck with those hideous purple splotches.

It is. The smaller one to the left goes on the shoulder *cough* "hyper-mega-shield."

Since the HWS pack requires a standard Hi-Nu kit purchased separately you'll have splotch-free decals for the shield if you so desire them.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 12, 2014

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I picked up this handsome young robert yesterday:

I've been obsessively sanding all the nibs, so it's taking a little bit longer than the last model I made, but I am loving the detail on this young man. I can't wait to post the finished product! (I'd post progress pics but I'm at work right now, and forgot to take any)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, I recently purchased a Robot Spirits Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth, because gently caress yeah pirate Gundam. However, it appears that I have lost/misplaced/had stolen by elves the little navy blue cap to its left knee pad. I could just yank the other one off to match, but that would make me feel like it was always incomplete. Anyone have any ideas for getting a replacement, or have a junker X1 they'd be willing to yank the knee cap off of?

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 13, 2014

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, I recently purchased a Robot Spirits Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth, because gently caress yeah pirate Gundam. However, it appears that I have lost/misplaced/had stolen by elves the little navy blue cap to its left knee pad. I could just yank the other one off to match, but that would make me feel like it was always incomplete. Anyone have any ideas for getting a replacement, or have a junker X1 they'd be willing to yank the knee cap off of?

Did you get it through a Bluefin distributor (ie does it have a Bluefin sticker on the box)? Bluefin's website has a replacement parts page you might want to look into.

Best I can do for you at the moment. The original Crossbones had a similar problem, but I was always fortunate enough to not lose the piece completely.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I don't have the box with me at the moment, but I got it through Amazon if that counts. Of course, it says that Amazon purchased items have to go through Amazon Refund/Exchanges, which seems overkill when all I need is one tiny piece. Thanks though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I just picked up some Micro Mask to mask off a recessed area on a model and the guy at Hobbytown warned that if I leave it on too long that it might pull up some of the lower coat. The coat I'm planning to mask off is Tamiya thinned with 90% isopropyl alcohol so its a bit flat but its had a few weeks to cure because I'm lazy. I assume my options are:

1. Remove masking fluid after doing one coat over that area then using tape to mask off the whole area and do the 3+ coats for the rest of the model.
  2. Leave fluid on for duration of paint job and trust the cured paint to stay in place.
  3. Coat area with Future then masking fluid then paint.

This is my first time using masking fluid so I would appreciate some advice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If it's cured, you're probably fine. You should future it anyways though.

Also I've never gotten masking fluid to work out well, but maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
In what way? The only thing I know about making fluid is that I can't get tape to fit my part properly so now I'm desperate.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
So in all my years of noob kit building, I have never really panel lined (correctly) or top coated (ever). I mused the notion of trying to air brush but always got too lazy to invest in it. Did try to paint some wh 40k kits in the past... but uh... yeah let's not touch that subject ... never did turn out well.

I just recently bought the gojulas, dibison and liger panzer off Fauxtool and I feel like I need to do these models some justice.

Any advice or items I should purchase to make this endeavor viable? I got a ton of other gundam kits I made in the past that I never painted so I can fool around with those first.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Cat Hatter posted:

In what way? The only thing I know about making fluid is that I can't get tape to fit my part properly so now I'm desperate.

What are you trying to mask and how exactly is it not fitting?

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

TaurusOxford posted:

Thanks for all the advice guys. Good news, the light box is coming along nicely, and I found a use for my PG GP01 box:

Do you think it's big enough? :v:

Little late but if you're using if for photography, make sure to set up an infinity wall.

That consistent curve at the bottom-right removes any depth to the background hence "infinity"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Gunpla thread, I need a little advice.

I just picked up a Crossbone Maoh, and while I really like the way the light gray and the dark blue play off each other, I really don't like the red on the feet or how indistinct the Satellite Collectors are. In other words, I'm going to be recoloring the whole thing.

My grasp of color theory isn't the best, but I'm pretty much settled on black body with gold arms and legs and silver satellite collectors (I haven't painted metallic gold or silver before, so that should be fun). However, my worry is the skull, which I want to do up in a bone white sort of color. It should look something like this:

So, my question is: does bone even work with gold and black? Would it be an ugly combination that'd ruin the "pirate bling" look I'm going for?

Would bone and gold work better with a dark red body instead?

Should I also do the leg/chest vents in bone, or should I stick with gold?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PoptartsNinja posted:

I just picked up a Crossbone Maoh, and while I really like the way the light gray and the dark blue play off each other, I really don't like the red on the feet or how indistinct the Satellite Collectors are. In other words, I'm going to be recoloring the whole thing.

I'm colorblind and therefore useless but you should definitely consider bedazzling the skull like in the modern day classic: 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gunpla thread, I need a little advice.

My grasp of color theory isn't the best, but I'm pretty much settled on black body with gold arms and legs and silver satellite collectors (I haven't painted metallic gold or silver before, so that should be fun). However, my worry is the skull, which I want to do up in a bone white sort of color. It should look something like this:

So, my question is: does bone even work with gold and black? Would it be an ugly combination that'd ruin the "pirate bling" look I'm going for?

Would bone and gold work better with a dark red body instead?

Should I also do the leg/chest vents in bone, or should I stick with gold?

I think you'd be better off swapping the black and gold sections (except for the backpack arms) unless you want it to be super-shiny at all times. Also you painted a silver stripe around the feet gold.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'm colorblind and therefore useless but you should definitely consider bedazzling the skull like in the modern day classic: 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

This is the correct answer. Bitch took mah MS

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

unless you want it to be super-shiny at all times.

That's the idea, yeah. I was thinking about doing the backpack thrusters satellite collectors in bone, too but I'm not sold on that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also you painted a silver stripe around the feet gold.

I threw that recolor together in about 3 minutes. It was just a quick and dirty way to show you what I'm thinking of. :shrug:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Zedd posted:

This is the correct answer. Bitch took mah MS

The cigar is also required. See if you can get a really tiny LED or something to put in it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Speaking of colour schemes, I've been interested for a while now in buying the MG Rezel Defenser A+B unit and painting it green like the novel version:

but as far as I know no model kit of any MS has ever come out in that color so I'd have no guide on what paints I need to mix to get that exact shade of green. I don't suppose there's some sort of tool I could use?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

Speaking of colour schemes, I've been interested for a while now in buying the MG Rezel Defenser A+B unit and painting it green like the novel version:

but as far as I know no model kit of any MS has ever come out in that color so I'd have no guide on what paints I need to mix to get that exact shade of green. I don't suppose there's some sort of tool I could use?

If you mean the colors the regular ReZel has you can find the manual on Dalong, you will need to translate the color names but does have the mix measurements:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Zedd posted:

If you mean the colors the regular ReZel has you can find the manual on Dalong, you will need to translate the color names but does have the mix measurements:

No, both the regular ReZel and ReZel Commander MGs are blue instead of green. That is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to be able to find, though.

• Locked thread