Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

catlord posted:

I know what it's referencing, but what causes them to pop up?
It's random, but I'm pretty sure they only show up in the ripped-straight-from-the-first-Duke Nukem "?" boxes that spawn during that one weapon reel. At least, I can't recall ever seeing them in the wild without that reel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Zeether posted:

Finished episode 1 of Blood. I forgot I had the napalm launcher and ended up using it to finish off the boss. Poor Ophelia :smith:

Blood is awesome in that it walks such a balance between dark horror and comedy. You've got Caleb singing showtunes and cackling like a madman while dynamiting zombies to bits, then Cheogh shows up and :smith:

Then again, later on you find Gabriel, and uh... Yeah. That was different :black101:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

eukara posted:

The ability to play CPMA makes up for it, though.

Also why we have a goon run cpma server

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I must confess, I never beat Episode 2 of Blood.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Kazvall posted:

Please join it!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Golden Souls Pre-Release is Out

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Commander Keenan posted:

Please join it!

I will play in a couple hours if you like. Or we can play ut2k4 with goons, too.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazvall posted:

What's the info?

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT

Stuntman posted:

What's the info?

This server was in the original post:

Quake 3: Arena (Vanilla, Rocket Arena 3, CPMA, Excessive): 76.72.167.204:27960

Maybe he means that one. I played on it earlier today and someone joined and kicked my rear end but I don't know if they were from here.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yaaaaaaay! From the looks of it, 'pre-release' means 'release candidate'. Should be all finished, but any bugs that turn up should be squashed by the time a final version drops onto the Doom archive.

Edit: Now with trailer embed, because I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tVnWseP13w

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sorry, link to server(s) is in my av. Figured we were talking about the same one.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

I might just be doing it wrong, but I get a script error whenever I try to run the game, through either GZDoom or Zandorum. Both updated today.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Make sure you're using the latest SVN version of GZdoom, it's picky.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Dr Snofeld posted:

I might just be doing it wrong, but I get a script error whenever I try to run the game, through either GZDoom or Zandorum. Both updated today.

Get the latest one here instead.
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm wondering, is there a Samsara plugin or something that makes the hud less horribly in the way and ugly? The top bar for the weapons is huge and awful, and the alternative/small hud is ugly and not informative enough.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The very first command at the bottom category for Customize Controls is a toggle for the weapon bar.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That'll teach me to not scroll through every single control when I load a new mod.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oooooh, snippy. :v:

For your first few times playing, there's also a message popping up saying "type cvarinfo in the console to learn about Samsara's options". And if you do that, it's also right there at the bottom category.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

You can diagonal run past the endless stairs. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

TerminusEst13 posted:

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5139

If any of you are remotely into the competitive/tournament/etc scene, Zandronum is going to be hosting a for-larks 3v3 Samsara team LMS tournament.
This is 100% a silly debacle and more for sake of fun rather than being about "who da best", so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Hope to see some people there!

Team name - Negro Hunters

:thumbsup:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Team name - Negro Hunters

:thumbsup:

Oh my god

Nevermind, this is going to be terrible.

:cripes:

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 15, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
That team name can't be legitimate, Sergeant Mark IV isn't in it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The TO hasn't posted since then, there's still hope. If they veto the team name there's still hope!

... yeah, okay, it's gonna suck.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Segmentation Fault posted:

That team name can't be legitimate, Sergeant Mark IV isn't in it.

Sgt. Mark IV wouldn't call them Negroes. :eng101:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Keiya posted:

The TO hasn't posted since then, there's still hope. If they veto the team name there's still hope!

... yeah, okay, it's gonna suck.

The TO appears to be on that team.

When questioned they will probably claim to be very old black people who enjoy shooting for sport.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

When questioned they will probably claim to be very old black people who enjoy shooting for sport.

<TerminusEst13> Also now that I'm looking things over, what the hell is with the team name?
<Catastrophe> for wat
<Catastrophe> u guys went with "The Modfathers"
<TerminusEst13> I'm more curious about the reasoning behind "Negro Hunters".
<Catastrophe> why not
* Catastrophe has quit

Man and I was really excited about having a tourney too. :smith:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Has the Doom community always been so insufferable?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Have any of you played a game online with goons before? Edgy and totally ironic racism is basically the bulk of the experience.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

Has the Doom community always been so insufferable?

Yes. The Doom multiplayer community is right up there with Smash bros. and DOTA as the worst people you could possibly play video games with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bloodmobile posted:

Yes. The Doom multiplayer community is right up there with Smash bros. and DOTA as the worst people you could possibly play video games with.

This is saying a loving lot, dude.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Have any of you played a game online with goons before? Edgy and totally ironic racism is basically the bulk of the experience.

The people who post here that come on mumble are all good people. Except for Terminus. He's a troublemaker!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hey now those chickens were hilarious and I regret nothing unleashing them.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Does Golden Souls get far better after Sorbetto Beach? The first level was decent but really filler-ish with the plants slowing down your progress, then level 2 felt too short and gimmicky with things like the rocket launcher bridge, but the level 3 red coin hunt feel like an absolute nadir in compelling level design.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I assumed the Doom community was a bunch of nice, friendly older men who long for the good old days. You know, like the majority of this thread.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

MrBims posted:

Does Golden Souls get far better after Sorbetto Beach? The first level was decent but really filler-ish with the plants slowing down your progress, then level 2 felt too short and gimmicky with things like the rocket launcher bridge, but the level 3 red coin hunt feel like an absolute nadir in compelling level design.

I think it keeps getting better, though I've only made it just past the first boss level. I agree that the plants feel like they have way too much health, but they get less common.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I assumed the Doom community was a bunch of nice, friendly older men who long for the good old days. You know, like the majority of this thread.

I have seen this statement to be true. I suppose the root of the problem is vocal forums idiots. We got lucky in this thread. We just need to trigger warning brutal doom.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Doom community holds people of all types and ages, really. You have angry older men who hate anything new, you've got friendly older men who enjoy the nostalgia, you've got the kids who BLOOD AND SATANISM AND METAL HARDCORE YEAH, you've got the kids who want to explore stuff beyond the typical mold, and everyone in between.

What surprises me is how many super-talented young'uns there are in the scene doing incredible things. You don't want to know how old the developer of ECWolf is.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I do actually.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

He created and implemented SBARINFO when he was 14 years old.

(I misread the year and thought he was younger than he actually was, but still, a pretty drat impressive thing to do for that age)

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm not terribly surprised really.

If you want to play around with amateur game development, is there anything else even remotely like Doom? There's a ton of content, tools, tutorials, active forums, engines with powerful scripting, and making new levels and graphics are a piece of cake.

I've thought for years that any developer in preproduction for a shooter-type game could do a lot worse than to make a crude prototype in ZDoom.