Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Yip Yips posted:

I'm trying to understand the effects that two different video cards would have on the battery life and heat of a laptop. The cards are the 860m (kepler) which has a TDP of 75w and 870m (maxwell) which has a TDP of 100w. Does this mean that when performing the same tasks the 870m is going to draw more power and generate more heat?

The laptop thread is mostly geared towards buying them and this seemed like more of a hardware question.
Factory Factory made a good post, but I'd also say that since Maxwell is a newer, more efficient architecture it will draw less power in everything except gaming, especially idle power savings. So in general usage I'd expect the Maxwell model to be cooler and get better battery life. However, once you fire up a game it's probably working as hard as possible to generate frames as fast as it can (unless you have a low-complexity game and framerates are capped) so it will get hotter and suck battery as the higher TDP indicates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I agree with everything you said except for one nitpick: On an Optimus system, at idle the GPU would be entirely power-gated, so the lower idle power of a Maxwell GPU vs. a Kepler one is pretty much irrelevant as neither would be turned on at all.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Awesome, thanks for the extremely helpful responses!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I know this isn't the laptop thread, but I thought you guys might be able to help me out here (been ignored in the laptop thread, teehees :smith:)

Looking at laptops for my uncle. Has to come from Currys (UK store). Basic use is emailing/photo and music storage/web surfing. Budget is up to £600, though that's probably more than is needed.

I've had a look through the Currys web site and thought about these: ACER Aspire V5-573P/

TOSHIBA Satellite L50t-B-11G

HP Pavilion 17-e153sa

I'd like to recommend him this Lenovo G5070, but it's out of stock.

How's this one: Leonovo Z50-70? The dedicated graphics is unnecessary of course, but it looks like a nice machine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hi, if Windows 7 occasionally pops up a YOUR DRIVE REPORTS IT'S FAILING message (at least a month between them), but CrystalDiskInfo is straight Goods up and down the board, even when left open for a while, does this actually mean anything? I've backed things up just in case but I'd expect to see some consistency in the uh-ohs

Specifically:

quote:

Windows Disk Diagnostic detected a S.M.A.R.T. fault on disk SAMSUNG HD502HJ SATA Disk Device (volumes C:\).

meanwhile:

I tried running Seatools but it won't even detect the drive (Spinpoint F3, one they're meant to support) and it's the drive windows is running on right now, so...? I know the prudent approach is full paranoia, assume the worst, but I've backed up before and everything's been fine and I can't see any actual evidence of a problem. What's the usual diagnostic approach with hard drives?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
UltraDMA CRC count is at 6, rather than 0 - likely a SATA cable that isn't quite living up to expectations. Try replacing it with a new cable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I know this isn't the laptop thread, but I thought you guys might be able to help me out here (been ignored in the laptop thread, teehees :smith:)

Looking at laptops for my uncle. Has to come from Currys (UK store). Basic use is emailing/photo and music storage/web surfing. Budget is up to £600, though that's probably more than is needed.

I've had a look through the Currys web site and thought about these: ACER Aspire V5-573P/

TOSHIBA Satellite L50t-B-11G

HP Pavilion 17-e153sa

I'd like to recommend him this Lenovo G5070, but it's out of stock.

How's this one: Leonovo Z50-70? The dedicated graphics is unnecessary of course, but it looks like a nice machine.

Without knowing a thing about the durability or anything on these, I'd personally pay the premium for the 1080p screen on the Z50.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'd pay a premium for the z50 simply because it's Lenovo. You can't match them for quality.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eh, when you're dealing with the consumer class stuff it's all the same.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Factory Factory posted:

UltraDMA CRC count is at 6, rather than 0 - likely a SATA cable that isn't quite living up to expectations. Try replacing it with a new cable.

Thanks, I'll give that a try - is there any reason Windows would be bleating about S.M.A.R.T. errors that aren't showing up anywhere else? Or is that what you're saying, the CRC errors are making it go hooooly poo poo buy a new drive immediately?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
A CRC error results in a completely failed read or write, which Windows takes very seriously since technically those are only supposed to happen, like, one time in ten billion operations. The count is so low that undoubtably each failed operation was repeated and completed successfully, so you haven't lost anything. And really, the errors probably aren't hurting anything in the big picture. But you don't want to go all Boy Who Cried Wolf about hard drive faults.

Now, if you replace the cable, especially with one that works perfectly on another drive, and you still get CRC errors? Now you're looking at either the hard drive or the motherboard's SATA controller starting to fail (probably the hard drive if the cable came from the same PC).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Random question that came to mind...

Does unzipping things on an external hard drive benefit from USB3's speed?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Aphrodite posted:

Random question that came to mind...

Does unzipping things on an external hard drive benefit from USB3's speed?

Yes. The archive is being read into memory from the storage for decompression. But it's possible on older machines that the bottleneck is actually in the decompression, and not the reading of archive data to memory.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No.

You answered very definitively to a question that was unanswerable. Does unzipping things on a USB3 external drive benefit from USB3's speed? ... Compared to what? Plugged in over SATA? No. Less overhead even if the drive is the bottleneck. And please, uncompressing zip was at like >60MB/s on the Athlons in the mid 2000s.

The question has no answer. Faster than *what*? Than USB2? Hell yeah. 480Mbit is way too slow to feed even old processors.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Factory Factory posted:

A CRC error results in a completely failed read or write, which Windows takes very seriously since technically those are only supposed to happen, like, one time in ten billion operations. The count is so low that undoubtably each failed operation was repeated and completed successfully, so you haven't lost anything. And really, the errors probably aren't hurting anything in the big picture. But you don't want to go all Boy Who Cried Wolf about hard drive faults.

Now, if you replace the cable, especially with one that works perfectly on another drive, and you still get CRC errors? Now you're looking at either the hard drive or the motherboard's SATA controller starting to fail (probably the hard drive if the cable came from the same PC).

Cool, I'll definitely try that then, cheers! I got really worried the first time it happened (some of it was trying to get data off an old clicking IDE drive, just having it plugged in was making the computer freak out) but since nothing happened and there was never any corroborating evidence the whole thing just confused me. Knowing why I'm getting errors helps a lot, thanks muchly

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Pivo posted:

No.

You answered very definitively to a question that was unanswerable. Does unzipping things on a USB3 external drive benefit from USB3's speed? ... Compared to what? Plugged in over SATA? No. Less overhead even if the drive is the bottleneck. And please, uncompressing zip was at like >60MB/s on the Athlons in the mid 2000s.

The question has no answer. Faster than *what*? Than USB2? Hell yeah. 480Mbit is way too slow to feed even old processors.

It's pretty obviously implied that he means USB 3.0 compared to a slower interface (USB 2.0), considering he said extracting things on an external hard drive.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 9, 2014

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I'm back! My random restarts started happening every time I tried to open a large image in Photoshop, which made me think it was RAM, and...

What's the best way to find the bad RAM stick? Start with one and keep adding the others until I start getting the restarts again?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Haledjian posted:

What's the best way to find the bad RAM stick? Start with one and keep adding the others until I start getting the restarts again?
Post a thread in the Haus of Tech Support if you need further help, but that log tells you where the error occurred, at the 13.185GB mark. If you have two 8GB sticks, that tells you the error was on the second stick. Check your memory settings, and if correct, remove the second stick and see if it passes. If so, RMA BOTH STICKS, as memory must be installed in matched pairs so merely replacing one stick is not good.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Is there any disadvantage to keeping an older, slower 300GB HDD in my PC? I'm getting an SSD to install my OS on, as well as wiping of my current 1TB and 300GB HDDs and was wondering if it'd be worth keeping the 300GB drive around. I'd just be using it as extra storage for downloads and older video game installs, stuff I don't care about losing or accessing quickly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brownie posted:

Is there any disadvantage to keeping an older, slower 300GB HDD in my PC? I'm getting an SSD to install my OS on, as well as wiping of my current 1TB and 300GB HDDs and was wondering if it'd be worth keeping the 300GB drive around. I'd just be using it as extra storage for downloads and older video game installs, stuff I don't care about losing or accessing quickly.

Your only disadvantage will be extra power and space usage in the case. You should probably install the OS with just the SSD plugged in first though, just to avoid the annoying case of accidentally getting the boot information stored on another drive.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I would like to play games on my HDTV (1080p) while still having my gaming PC hooked up to a my 1920x1200 monitor. A couple of questions:

a) If I mirror my video card output to a monitor and a TV at 1080p, do I get any kind of frame rate hit?

b) How could I setup the video options so that the desktop runs normally on the monitor but all games run on the HDTV? And would this setup be detrimental to the frame rate?

Running Windows 7 and a GTX 680 in case it matters.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DoctorOfLawls posted:

a) If I mirror my video card output to a monitor and a TV at 1080p, do I get any kind of frame rate hit?

I'm fairly certain if you're just mirroring the display (identical output on both screens) you shouldn't take a frame rate hit since the card should only render it once.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

b) How could I setup the video options so that the desktop runs normally on the monitor but all games run on the HDTV? And would this setup be detrimental to the frame rate?

Most recent titles (released since dual monitor setups became common 5-6 years ago) should have an option in the video settings to choose which display you want to use.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I need a pci-e video card for a nine year old computer. Everything in the ~$30 range looks like the exact same reference design and has lots of comments about overheating and burning up. Can I assume that these people had tiny cases with no air flow and were trying to play video games on them?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

thebigcow posted:

I need a pci-e video card for a nine year old computer. Everything in the ~$30 range looks like the exact same reference design and has lots of comments about overheating and burning up. Can I assume that these people had tiny cases with no air flow and were trying to play video games on them?

Since you're not specifying display resolution or use I assume it's just basic desktop graphics. I've had good luck with these, I've used two of them on older hardware for 1080 graphics and occassional slow 3d gaming:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Rexxed posted:

Since you're not specifying display resolution or use I assume it's just basic desktop graphics. I've had good luck with these, I've used two of them on older hardware for 1080 graphics and occassional slow 3d gaming:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

Whatever the native resolution is on a 17" LCD running desktop graphics.

That card looks like all the other ones and has the same complaints. I'm going to go with my assumption and just grab one.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Whatever the native resolution is on a 17" LCD running desktop graphics.

That card looks like all the other ones and has the same complaints. I'm going to go with my assumption and just grab one.

I've used about 50 of these replacing customer's basic desktop graphics when they fail and have had no issues whatsoever.

It's still a solid reviewed card, and reading some of the 1 and 2 stars it seems the people were using it for gaming and constant dual screens (which it's not designed for). If you're going to be doing even light gaming get something slightly better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I cloned my current SSD to my new SSD using Macrium Reflect.

How do I make the new SSD be the boot, system, page file etc. disc now?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Aphrodite posted:

I cloned my current SSD to my new SSD using Macrium Reflect.

How do I make the new SSD be the boot, system, page file etc. disc now?

You unplug the old drive and boot from the new one to make sure it works in the first place. Then change the desktop background as a sanity check that you are booting from the correct drive. After that, change the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI setup and/or move plugs so that the new SSD is plugged into the first SATA port. Then, when booted to the new SSD, then clean the old SSD, create a new partition of maximum size, quick format the partition as NTFS (this issues a TRIM command to the entire drive), and then you can repartition the SSD further if you like.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Then change the desktop background as a sanity check that you are booting from the correct drive.

Haha, I like this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I created a txt called New on the desktop because I don't want to lose the one I have set.

But it worked, thanks.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Is using driver fusion still the best way to purge video drivers?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

unpronounceable posted:

Is using driver fusion still the best way to purge video drivers?
Display Driver Uninstaller is the new hotness.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Awesome, thanks!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is there a good alternative to ChkFlsh? It has given me some likely false positives lately on larger devices recently so I'm not sure I trust it anymore.

edit: I ended up using "FAKEFLASHTEST.EXE" from this schizophrenic website http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/-fake-usb-flash-memory-drives

It works, I guess. I wish it was better documented though.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 17, 2014

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Is it possible that certain USB ports on a 3 year old motherboard just decide to go bad? I have an Asus P8P67PRO running an overclocked i5 2500k, and that setup never gave me any problems. A few weeks ago I noticed that the USB 3.0 ports in the back were no longer working (hardware issue - not even powering things at all regardless of OS) whereas more recently a few regular USB ports were giving me a couple of "USB device not recognized" errors under Windows 7. I connected the devices to other USB ports and now they seem to be working fine, but I found this really odd.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Is it possible that certain USB ports on a 3 year old motherboard just decide to go bad? I have an Asus P8P67PRO running an overclocked i5 2500k, and that setup never gave me any problems. A few weeks ago I noticed that the USB 3.0 ports in the back were no longer working (hardware issue - not even powering things at all regardless of OS) whereas more recently a few regular USB ports were giving me a couple of "USB device not recognized" errors under Windows 7. I connected the devices to other USB ports and now they seem to be working fine, but I found this really odd.
Before writing the ports off I'd power the system down, flip the power switch in the back, press the power button on the front to drain the capacitors (you should see the LEDs flicker), then unplug power and let the system sit for 30 minutes to a few hours. This cuts power to controllers that remain on when the system is turned off, in some cases they can hang and capacitors can store enough charge to keep them from losing their (failed) state through brief power interruptions. If that doesn't fix it, try clearing the CMOS and loading setup defaults. If no change, I agree it sounds like a hardware failure, you might confirm if those ports are provided by the Intel or a third-party controller. The other controller could have just died, for example.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Alereon posted:

Before writing the ports off I'd power the system down, flip the power switch in the back, press the power button on the front to drain the capacitors (you should see the LEDs flicker), then unplug power and let the system sit for 30 minutes to a few hours. This cuts power to controllers that remain on when the system is turned off, in some cases they can hang and capacitors can store enough charge to keep them from losing their (failed) state through brief power interruptions. If that doesn't fix it, try clearing the CMOS and loading setup defaults. If no change, I agree it sounds like a hardware failure, you might confirm if those ports are provided by the Intel or a third-party controller. The other controller could have just died, for example.

Many thanks, I will give this a try and see how it goes, then report here.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DoctorOfLawls posted:

The P8P67 Pro and a bunch of other early sandy bridge motherboards shipped with faulty SATA controllers that were prone to dying. It wouldn't surprise me if the USB was affected as well.

Edit: I have a P8P67 Pro with a dead SATA controller that I never got around to exchanging. Still works perfectly apart from having fewer SATA ports, which I never needed anyways. So long as you don't find yourself needing more ports, the motherboard shouldn't need replacement.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 19, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Fruits of the sea posted:

The P8P67 Pro and a bunch of other early sandy bridge motherboards shipped with faulty SATA controllers that were prone to dying. It wouldn't surprise me if the USB was affected as well.

Edit: I have a P8P67 Pro with a dead SATA controller that I never got around to exchanging. Still works perfectly apart from having fewer SATA ports, which I never needed anyways. So long as you don't find yourself needing more ports, the motherboard shouldn't need replacement.
Those are unrelated issues, there was a bug in the integrated circuit design for the SATA controller that fed it excessive voltage, causing it to burn out. This was fixed in the B3 revision of the chipset, which is why there was a recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
What is the downside to using a WD 3TB Red drive, if I'm planning on putting the less-important games I have on it? Just longer load times? It's not bad for the drive to be used like that or anything?

• Locked thread