Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

linux's credibility as a platform

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
how's Microsoft's long-term commitment to Silverlight and WinRT working out for u shags

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im not using either, but Silverlight will continue to work for decades and winrt is still the future of windows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

prefect posted:

why would you have a product where the name is abbreviated as "wince"?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-posready-7.aspx

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

im not using either, but Silverlight will continue to work for decades and winrt is still the future of windows.

this is sadder than any linux talk in this thread

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

translation: windows is stagnant and it's future is being beaten by apple and android

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, if you want systemd conspiracy, why not try today's LKML? https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459

They still think systemd is only developed by Poettering too it looks. Not much of a mention of Apple's launchd either.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Soricidus posted:

translation: windows is stagnant and it's future is being beaten by apple and android

and microsoft's strategy to stop this isn't to stop throwing darts to come out with 'innovations' nor even to aim more precisely, but to just throw the darts harder

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boner Slam posted:

- The poo poo you need to go through to add an icon to the activities menu shows that Linux will never be a desktop OS. Well you can install this app of course, but out of the box it's either "don't do it" or "try a lot of console poo poo"
- Double clicking on a file in the file manager to open a program works half of the time, often just nothing happens
why are you trying to launch programs from a menu or click on files with a mouse in a file manager? it's linux, cli or gtfo

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Boner Slam posted:

Like if you have the audacity to set python3 as default then half the poo poo doesn't work anymore. Good!

good man :patriot:

i opt out of python 2 stuff too

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Shaggar posted:

winrt is still the future of windows.

haha

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

now is that the windows runtime or windows rt????

careful branding itt

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
windows runtime averages about 5 days to a week in my experience before it becomes unusable.

real server machines like unix/linux or desktops like linux or macs however, with a unix base, often have runtimes of years without need for reboot except for kernel upgrades, which realistically takes that down to months of runtime unless you just don't choose to reboot. really no limit; they don't just "start acting shady and slow to respond like a cheating boyfriend" how windows does, or worse and more common, just commit suicide with a blue screen of death because they can't manage memory

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

linux's credibility as a platform for doing any sort of serious work on.

yea they already have absolutely none of that so nowerhere to go but up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i see i was late to the shaggaring :rip:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
can somebody please explain to me why people use ubuntu on a server?

let's take debian and then incompetently gently caress a bunch of poo poo up, then replace a bunch of stuff that's standardised on every other linux distro with our own home brew garbage for no good reason

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Because developers use Ubuntu Desktop for a dev machine, and then realize that you can't sanely deploy it on anything else other than an Ubuntu Server.

This is why Red Hat's putting money into Fedora Workstation now, even if that's a really broken idea from the get-go.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well yeah and every butt provider out there always seem to provide Ubuntu Server images for some reason

surely the people responsible for architecting their butt service know better

also the only people who do their day-to-day development work on a linux workstation are the people who work for suse or red hat. everyone else uses the operating system given to us by His Holiness Steve Jobs (pbuh)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
there's a lot of linux on my desk right now

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

god loving forbid you ever have to do anything with x on gnome 2 with compiz.

this is how it is supposed to look like, even the take screenshot app works better without compiz.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
more like cumpiss

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Origin posted:

god loving forbid you ever have to do anything with x on gnome 2 with compiz.

this is how it is supposed to look like, even the take screenshot app works better without compiz.

What GPU / driver are you using? If it's Intel, try disabling SNA.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

What GPU / driver are you using? If it's Intel, try disabling SNA.

I use the nvidia 304 drivers but compiz and r have never worked well together:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-August/170886.html

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

in gnome 3 if you turn on matiral scrolling the lock screen tells you to swipe up but you actually have to swipe down.

and why the gently caress is there no sensitivity setting for two finger scrolling? jfc.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

computer toucher posted:

in gnome 3 if you turn on matiral scrolling the lock screen tells you to swipe up but you actually have to swipe down.

and why the gently caress is there no sensitivity setting for two finger scrolling? jfc.

welcome to reenix here is your commandline fix

$ synclient VertScrollDelta=n

mine defaults to 99, lower = faster apparently

good luck getting it to reapply each time you reboot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

welcome to reenix here is your commandline fix

$ synclient VertScrollDelta=n

mine defaults to 99, lower = faster apparently

good luck getting it to reapply each time you reboot

you can put synaptics options in xorg.conf. it's easiest if you use a pattern match to just handle all input devices

code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "VertScrollDelta" "30"
EndSection
here are some nice options to put in there

code:
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "TapButton2" "2"
        Option "TapButton3" "3"
        Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
        Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "on"
        Option "PalmDetect" "1"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

computer toucher posted:

We should accept swipes either way. I remember writing patches for this, but perhaps they didn't land.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Most codecs are patent-encumbered, and SuSE doesn't license them to ship them out of the box, and they consider it a legal risk to ship them as packages. This is something I desperately want to fix, but legal refused. This is one of the reasons I'm leaving Red Hat: an inability to fix broken poo poo like this.
Is there a rogue distribution that just does not give a poo poo about this "issue" for people who simply do not "care"?

Suspicious Dish posted:

What is your hardware? I just hotplugged a bluetooth USB dongle over here fine. Is there anything in the journal? Do it, make it fail, and then run journalctl -b -e.
It's an older Dell Vostro I use because my machine is in the repair shop. The dongle works (as Bluetooth is enabled), the USB Audio receiver (Phillips BT) doesn't show up anymore.
The journalctl says "No journal files were found" and "Skipping" and "~" a lot.

Suspicious Dish posted:

What's your GPU, and what monitor sizes are you outputting to? We're always looking at performance, but need to know what equipment to test with.
Onboard GPU I guess Intel with 1028x800 resolution.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't like the paging either. I don't work on that part of the UI, though.
The two finger scroll is unusable imo.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Software is how you install apps.
Well i mean it's just that a lot of stuff isn't available as package. Tbh I did find an application that enables you to change the items but I had to install it manually - reminder that this is an integral UI function... come on

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is something I broke, sorry. If it's any consolation, I fixed it in the latest stable release. What is SuSE shipping with?
It's SUSE 13.1 so I dunno for sure. It might also be because I installed several Window managers like KDE and Gnome and XFCE and Enlightenment. Maybe they were fighting over who gets to be the login screen or something

Also, once I log in with Gnome the option to chose a different window manager disappears when I log off. I have to restart the machine. This is annoying for testing window managers.
KDE to gnome works tho.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Works for me here. Anything in the journal?
The solution was that it was the Windows 8 hybernate option which means that Linux can not mount it currently

Suspicious Dish posted:

Again, works for me here. Anything in the journal?
No. I thought the doubleclick speed is set too high but then just now I opened a file by single click.... maybe mouse is broken. Anyway it feels weird.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also lol at choosing a desktop environment based on how the initial screen looks, then complaining that your choice sucks

gee i wonder why you didn't get the best outcome

Well I actually installed many window managers. I think design wise the Gnome is the only one which isn't full of mistakes that make someone who knows just a tag about design go "nnnghghg" constantly. In KDE specifically the font sizes are totally off compared to the UI which contains them, the window buttons look like a three year old drew them, the desktop is cluttered, the icons on the task bar are all different sizes (as are the fonts of clock and taskbar). Also the clock has a different height than the other items in the task bar. NHGHGHGH. WHYYYY.
The taskbar items have this ugly drop shadow and are far too small for the font and the icon. Looks like total crap sorry.
The items are really bad and a bad fit with the shinyness and stuff. Maybe it's a SUSE issue here.
The start menu is a mess, nothing lines up on a raster and so it is immediately unpleasant to look at. And this butt-ugly grey for the UI with this white gradient on the least important part is really just a sad thing.
It's a like a sad version of Apple.

Any other window managers I should try?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Keep in mind that I work on Fedora, not SuSE. It has a different set of problems about patents and legality, but at least on Fedora you can install rpmfusion to get your codecs. They don't come out of the box because, again, patents and licensing. I know you don't give a poo poo. No user gives a poo poo, they just want to play their MP3 files.

I tried and pushed really hard to get Red Hat management to allow us to ship it. They didn't budge, for legal and philosophy reasons. As a direct result of this and plenty of other things where we just aren't allowed to ship a good user experience out of the box, I left Red Hat.

The journal being missing sounds like a bad SuSE bug. I'm not sure what to say to that, since I've never used SuSE.

The apps being missing is a result of SuSE having a smaller community of packagers. Fedora might have more apps. Unfortunately, both of them aren't the sane model of "the apps are shipped by the developers themselves", and will likely never be because doing that means killing our large community of human robots who write shell scripts all day, and that's a no-no.

I didn't know about the Windows 8 partition hibernate feature. Unfortunately, the NTFS specifications aren't public, which means a lot of this stuff has to be reverse engineered, which takes time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shaggar posted:

in the grimdark future, silverlight and winrt are all that remains of societywindows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boner Slam posted:

Well I actually installed many window managers. I think design wise the Gnome is the only one which isn't full of mistakes that make someone who knows just a tag about design go "nnnghghg" constantly.

[... long list of complaints deleted]

desktop software for unix is mostly made by extremely beardy volunteers, and they do it to scratch their own itch.

looking cool usually means the software is bloody loving useless. i suspect this is because the itch they were scratching was "my desktop should look cool!!!!" and not "i use my desktop at work"

making a choice about a desktop based on graphic design principles was pretty well doomed to failure

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 15, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

desktop software for unix

nah most os x developers seem fine op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theadder posted:

nah most os x developers seem fine op

coincidentally os x is the worst unix

what have we learned here? i'll just spell it out for you

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

making a choice about a desktop based on graphic design principles was pretty well doomed to failure

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what have we learned here? i'll just spell it out for you

a lecture from on high lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theadder posted:

a lecture from on high lol

would be better high probably

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

would be better high probably

i dunno its p good to think he sat and typed that in any state

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

I tried and pushed really hard to get Red Hat management to allow us to ship it. They didn't budge, for legal and philosophy reasons. As a direct result of this and plenty of other things where we just aren't allowed to ship a good user experience out of the box, I left Red Hat.

I'm confused, did you want them to just ignore the patent and risk the lawsuit or eat the royalty fee on behalf of your users?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

desktop software for unix is mostly made by extremely beardy volunteers, and they do it to scratch their own itch.

blesssed are the beard scratchers, for they will inherit the girth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm confused, did you want them to just ignore the patent and risk the lawsuit or eat the royalty fee on behalf of your users?

I wanted them to allow users to install things at their own legal risk. This is what other distributions like Debian do.