Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

greatn posted:

Operation Overdrive is like, imagine if instead of one main villain, you have five of them. And each of them has two generals. And every single one of these villains is Elgar.

Like with Megaforce, can't blame it entirely on the PR crew, as Boukenger had multiple villain teams going for it as well, though being honest, Overdrive and Boukenger both admittedly have the more interesting version of such a concept - multiple villain teams competing at once, rather than lining up one after the other. Hell, you can even give Overdrive some credit for actually bothering to do a fair amount of original footage for the villain interactions (if necessitated by creating a new lead villain with the ice one whose name escapes me). Unfortunately they do fall flat on the execution overall, which is a shame. I mean, otherwise it could have been one of the more memorable seasons, given the relatively unique setup by franchise standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I always did like Boukenger's multiple factions, and how Gaja was just as likely to screw Ryuoun or Dark Shadow over as he was to try and kill the Boukengers. Kept things interesting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

Like with Megaforce, can't blame it entirely on the PR crew, as Boukenger had multiple villain teams going for it as well, though being honest, Overdrive and Boukenger both admittedly have the more interesting version of such a concept - multiple villain teams competing at once, rather than lining up one after the other. Hell, you can even give Overdrive some credit for actually bothering to do a fair amount of original footage for the villain interactions (if necessitated by creating a new lead villain with the ice one whose name escapes me). Unfortunately they do fall flat on the execution overall, which is a shame. I mean, otherwise it could have been one of the more memorable seasons, given the relatively unique setup by franchise standards.

Well, I think it's awesome they brought Adam back, the team up was cool, and I liked all the rangers probably except Red generic man, and his boring rich dad, and the ice guy did look pretty cool. That's about all the good I can say about it. So few people ever talk about Jungle Fury because Overdrive probably made them stop watching for a while.

Also I find it funny that SPD has like four red rangers. You got A-squad Red, then Jack, then Sky, then Bridge. I wish they crossed over with SPD again the next year, and Syd shows up to explain how "Birdie got kidnapped, so Doggie who was Birdie went off to look for him, so now Sky is Birdie which was Doggie, Bridge is Doggie which was Sky, and I'm Red."

Then next year "Hi, we've never met, but a bunch of people got promoted and I'm the Red SPD ranger now, my name isn't important."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

greatn posted:

"Birdie got kidnapped, so Doggie who was Birdie went off to look for him, so now Sky is Birdie which was Doggie, Bridge is Doggie which was Sky, and I'm Red."

I choose to believe this happened.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

greatn posted:

Well, I think it's awesome they brought Adam back, the team up was cool, and I liked all the rangers probably except Red generic man, and his boring rich dad, and the ice guy did look pretty cool. That's about all the good I can say about it. So few people ever talk about Jungle Fury because Overdrive probably made them stop watching for a while.

Also I find it funny that SPD has like four red rangers. You got A-squad Red, then Jack, then Sky, then Bridge. I wish they crossed over with SPD again the next year, and Syd shows up to explain how "Birdie got kidnapped, so Doggie who was Birdie went off to look for him, so now Sky is Birdie which was Doggie, Bridge is Doggie which was Sky, and I'm Red."

Then next year "Hi, we've never met, but a bunch of people got promoted and I'm the Red SPD ranger now, my name isn't important."

The way they got Bridge in was pretty clever, I'll admit. Green was the popular one in another series? Take the one where ranger colours are ranks and bump him up!

Plus it actually gives a bit of insight into what happened for that setting after it was finished, which given we didn't get the crossover ep, is something at least.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

greatn posted:

Give it to Boom, just to show how desperate they are.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Solaris Knight posted:

My only Blu Ray player is a Playstation 3.

If your PC is on the same network as your PS3, you can use this: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/ Sometimes you have to mess around a bit and pick different transcode options but I've watched everything including new O-T stuff, TV-N's Kabuto, and the older Kamen Rider Black subs so you should be able to get it to work.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only thing that has always bugged me about Overdrive's team-up episode is why was Zedd and Rita's kid evil? They both turned good from Zordon's energy blast. Even if you want to say okay, just because they're good doesn't mean their kid can't rebel and become evil, sure, but why does he look the way he does when Zedd got turned into a normal guy?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only thing that has always bugged me about Overdrive's team-up episode is why was Zedd and Rita's kid evil? They both turned good from Zordon's energy blast. Even if you want to say okay, just because they're good doesn't mean their kid can't rebel and become evil, sure, but why does he look the way he does when Zedd got turned into a normal guy?

Magic, magic, magic, and genetics.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Twelve by Pies posted:

One of the incredibly :spergin: explanations is that Thrax is Rita and Zedd's PRE marriage child, before she got sealed in the dumpster and Zedd hosed off to space. That explains why he stayed evil while they got purefied, the Sentinel Knight put him in his own matching dumpster so he escaped the Z Wave, same as Master Org, the Morlocks, Lothor, etc.

I have thought of this answer with 50 times more effort than Overdrive's entire writing staff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Rita was in the dumpster 10000 years before being freed. It's time to conquer earth.

I don't really see any plot holes with it. He aged super fast like plenty of villains before him and was put in a dumpster before the z wave. And pretty sure the z wave only affected monsters who were actively attacking the galaxy at the time anyway. Of course when he escaped and looked up mom and dad to find out they were now normal guys/queen of good magic he was a little pissed off.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 12, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Uh, 'all the galaxy' might have been overstating it. Pretty much just got these people standing in this specific crater on the Moon. That's about as far as Zordon's death curse managed to get."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Uh, 'all the galaxy' might have been overstating it. Pretty much just got these people standing in this specific crater on the Moon. That's about as far as Zordon's death curse managed to get."

Nah it got to Aquitar, the gold ranger planet, Eltar, and the Blue Senturion's home planet at the least.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The "gold ranger" planet? How can you not remember Triforia, and its crown prince Trey, who split into three dudes for some reason?

I seem to remember thinking Trey was dumb as poo poo at the time, but it brought Jason back for a few episodes and that was pretty great :v:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Mark your calendars, the new Power Rangers movie is scheduled for a July 22, 2016 release. Hope we get some casting rumors soon. Who would you want in a new power rangers movie? I personally would love to see Bryan Cranston to reprise his inaugural role as the Snizzard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bryan Cranston as old Billy Cranston, returning from Aquitar.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Liar Lyre posted:

Mark your calendars, the new Power Rangers movie is scheduled for a July 22, 2016 release. Hope we get some casting rumors soon. Who would you want in a new power rangers movie? I personally would love to see Bryan Cranston to reprise his inaugural role as the Snizzard.

Well, ya gotta crowbar Jason David Frank in there somehow for one thing.

EDIT: Just read that the second Pink Ranger was from Surrey Hills in universe. That was an gorgeous area of Melbourne when I lived there a couple of years ago.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 14, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Testekill posted:

EDIT: Just read that the second Pink Ranger was from Surrey Hills in universe. That was an gorgeous area of Melbourne when I lived there a couple of years ago.

Far more likely to be the one in Sydney, sorry.

Get JDF in like the original Django's cameo in Django Unchained.

"The Dragon is more of a dinosaur."

"I know."

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Testekill posted:

I severely doubt you have to do much crowbarring to bring in the face of the series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"Members of the press... Secretary of Defense, Doctor Thomas Oliver."

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Members of the press... Secretary of Defense, Doctor Thomas Oliver."

The thought of this makes me laugh almost as much as President Lex Luthor does. :v:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Amy Jo Johnson tweeted a while back that she would like to be Rita in the movie reboot. That would be cool. I'd love to see her participate in any capacity.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Morby posted:

Amy Jo Johnson tweeted a while back that she would like to be Rita in the movie reboot. That would be cool. I'd love to see her participate in any capacity.

Well, she's already got a demo tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OG_r7Yzx0E

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So I'm watching Jungle Fury because I have nothing better to do right now and I'm about 2/3 the way through and I have some thoughts.
  • The theme is incredibly bland compared to others. I hate the Mystic Force theme but it was at least distinct.
  • I like the cast well enough and RJ is, in fact, the best.
  • The villains are.. well I don't know how to put it really. It's been a while since I saw Gekiranger but I would swear Rio was a lot more subdued. Not "ALL YELLING ALL THE TIME. I'M EVIL." like Jarrod is, just a menacing character who could beat the poo poo out of pretty much anything. Camille is also kinda creepy in her attraction to Dai-shi as opposed to Mele who just wanted to prove herself to Rio. Seriously what kind of villain name is Jarrod anyway?
  • Am I in the right for wishing a horrible, painful death upon whoever thought up this stupid loving motorcycle though? 'Cause it has no real place in this series about martial-arts and it looks terrible to boot.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yikes, a summer 2016 release, that sounds a mite too early given how it's just been announced. I don't want Saban to rush this, isn't that when Batman vs Superman airs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

The thought of this makes me laugh almost as much as President Lex Luthor does. :v:

I'm just extrapolating from High Schooler Tommy Oliver to Professor of Paleontology Tom Oliver to SECDEF Thomas Oliver. :v:

Another ten years, and Secret Service will be guarding the new PoTUS, codenamed "BURAI".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

greatn posted:

Bryan Cranston as old Billy Cranston, returning from Aquitar.

I would watch this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

Yikes, a summer 2016 release, that sounds a mite too early given how it's just been announced. I don't want Saban to rush this, isn't that when Batman vs Superman airs.

Batman v Superman is in March, Cap 3 is... can't remember, but also not July.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is kind of hilarious. 3 Captain America movies. None released on 4th of July weekend.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finally got my Legacy Dragonzord in the mail today. It's pretty cool, although putting it into Battle Mode it seemed really awkward and didn't seem to stand up very well. I'm not sure if I did it wrong, I sort of did it without looking at the directions so maybe I missed some thing that helps "lock" the legs into place or whatever, because that seems to be the biggest problem is how the legs fold up to make the "knees" for the tiger/triceratops, and they feel really loose and buckle a bit too easily.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Crossposting this from CD because I found it hilarious.

greatn posted:

The camera zooms out to reveal Dr Tommy Oliver(Jason David Frank) is the one playing the awesome guitar riff. Then the camera zooms out further as the song ends to reveal he its skydiving, surrounded by wooden boards.

Alpha 7(over radio): You're one crazy son of a bitch, Tommy.

Tommy: It's Dr O now. And breaking these power planks... zuuuaeeet yaaaaaa! can only be done at terminal velocity. It's the only way to bring back Zordon!

(A serpentine shadow appears over Tommy, and our camera pans up to reveal... The Snizzard! Fast approaching! )

Snizzard(Bryan Cranston): Not so fast, ranger!

Tommy: I knew this was too easy.

(Dr Oliver rips off a sleeve, revealing a number of high tech devices)

Tommy: It's morphing time! Dragonzord! White Tiger! White Ranger Power! Ranger number five, red! Shift into turbo! Red Lightning turbo power! Dino Thunder, power up, ha!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. I didn't know JDF was a goon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Basically he has to travel back in time thousands of years to stop time traveling young Lord Zed from destroying Eltar to prevent the power rangers from ever existing, he ends up absorbing all the ranger powers and becomes Zordon.

It's perfect because people who love Tommy will eat it up, while people even mildly ambivalent will go insane.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Tommy becomes charged with all the power of the Morphin Grid, which sends him back in time to become the lightning bolt in the MMPR logo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
20 minutes of the movie's run time is credits. 50 minutes of the movie's runtime is one extremely long morphing sequence where Tommy uses every single morpher ever in the show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
edit wrong thread

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Number one thing is making the costumes not extremely stupid, multiple morphing sequences, and more fights while morphed. Basically the opposite of the first movie. Oh and no loving CG zords.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

RBX posted:

Number one thing is making the costumes not extremely stupid, multiple morphing sequences, and more fights while morphed. Basically the opposite of the first movie. Oh and no loving CG zords.

The Zords will be CG, but they won't look like complete garbage this time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah cg zords shouldn't be a problem in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

RBX posted:

Number one thing is making the costumes not extremely stupid

I'm sorry, I don't think you understand Super Sentai and its derivatives at all.