Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't mean what *makes* the sound, just how you'd type it out. Drdrdrdrdrdr?

DODODODODODODODODODODODODODO
with hard D's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's also sometimes transcribed as DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

My friend says its the sound for footsteps?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Kild posted:

My friend says its the sound for footsteps?

No, it's the King Engine roaring. Sorry your friend is wrong.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's the sound of a Harley engine revving in the rain as you take one last look back before you leave her for good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im liking Genos's new upgrades.

And I must say: King arc best arc.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nipponophile posted:

It's the sound of a Harley engine revving in the rain as you take one last look back before you leave her for good.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Nipponophile posted:

It's the sound of a Harley engine revving in the rain before it rusts and starts to break down due to bad engineering under any weather conditions except sun.
ftfy

God I love this arc so much.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, it's typed as ドドドド... (dodododo). Now that I think of it, you see quite a bit of it in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and it's usually translated as (menacing). From what I understand, it's one of those weird onomatopoeia for things that don't actually make a sound, (you've probably seen a character stare at someone or something, with a じい~ (jii~) sound somewhere in that panel) so the fact that the people around hear the sound tells us that it's not just the usual menacing sound.

Or Onepunch-Man's world runs on cartoon logic: all sound effects, whether normally audible or not, are actual physical objects in the world :tinfoil:

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
It's the start of the Flash Gordon theme song, but even manlier. King :allears:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ottumon posted:

Yeah, it's typed as ドドドド... (dodododo). Now that I think of it, you see quite a bit of it in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and it's usually translated as (menacing)

Close, it's ドッドッドッドッ。Read all together it would be doddoddoddo like King of Solomon said, with the double d sound being like a quick pause between each Do. In that way, it could sound like an engine running or at least idling. But I guess it could also be a bunch of individual ドッ's, which would then be a bunch of loud quick Do's, like how あ is just Ah, but あっ is more like a gasp or realization, "ah!" If I'm making any sense at all. I'm more inclined towards the first description, but only a native/fluent or someone who's read ahead I suppose can be sure.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
King fuckin' rules.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Everyone seems hyped about this king character. For me he's still brand new though. Allthough i did a bit of re-reading and he was at the S-class meeting: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/203525/onepunch-man_ch29v3_by_boon-scanlation/19

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Here's a bit of King as well

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/224022/onepunch-man_ch32v4_by_nerieru-scans/13

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Close, it's ドッドッドッドッ。Read all together it would be doddoddoddo like King of Solomon said, with the double d sound being like a quick pause between each Do. In that way, it could sound like an engine running or at least idling. But I guess it could also be a bunch of individual ドッ's, which would then be a bunch of loud quick Do's, like how あ is just Ah, but あっ is more like a gasp or realization, "ah!" If I'm making any sense at all. I'm more inclined towards the first description, but only a native/fluent or someone who's read ahead I suppose can be sure.

Oops, I should've checked it today after reading it last night yesterday before overthinking :sigh:. Yeah, with the double d's it does actually sound like an engine. I don't think the ッ is a glottal stop, it just sounds silly to me. I'm still going with the he's really scared and his heart is racing explanation, if he's just bluffing. :colbert:

Captain_duck posted:

Everyone seems hyped about this king character. For me he's still brand new though. Allthough i did a bit of re-reading and he was at the S-class meeting: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/203525/onepunch-man_ch29v3_by_boon-scanlation/19

He was also around when they were discussing how to take down the alien ship. His response was pretty much "It's up there, I'm down here, nothing I can do :shrug:", while looking badass.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Ottumon posted:

Oops, I should've checked it today after reading it last night yesterday before overthinking :sigh:. Yeah, with the double d's it does actually sound like an engine. I don't think the ッ is a glottal stop, it just sounds silly to me. I'm still going with the he's really scared and his heart is racing explanation, if he's just bluffing. :colbert:

He was also around when they were discussing how to take down the alien ship. His response was pretty much "It's up there, I'm down here, nothing I can do :shrug:", while looking badass.

I mean, he's the most powerful man in the world, not the Flyingest man in the world.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Saitama can get between the earth and the moon can't he? Whats King's excuse?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It would be bad for his heart condition. :ohdear:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Artum posted:

Different people have different powers, dude. Not every strong person is like Saitama.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Artum posted:

You idiot, don't you understand Mister King is so kind he pretends to be weak so that other heroes have a chance to shine?!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Sorry.

Silento fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 15, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Aren't you guys saying a little too much about King? Actually, this has been a bit of a problem for a while in general with people hinting at stuff from the original version.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Artum posted:

King skipped the 10km run in favor of practicing his glare. That's why he still has hair.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Aren't you guys saying a little too much about King? Actually, this has been a bit of a problem for a while in general with people hinting at stuff from the original version.

Speaking as someone that's actually read the original manga, they think they're being witty, but are really just being annoying and making people who haven't read it wonder what's up.

Guys, we have the ONE manga thread for a reason. Go do your in jokes there, it's not like there's any discussion on new chapters you'll be crowding out.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 15, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Seriously. Take it to the other thread if you must. We will learn all we need to know about King over the next 3 or 4 chapters, let the story tell itself.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fyi, people who talk about people spoiling stuff are just as bad as them for spoiling purposes.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Genocyber posted:

Fyi, people who talk about people spoiling stuff are just as bad as them for spoiling purposes.

That's only true in cases where someone drops a spoiler that an unaware reader might miss or dismiss as speculation, where someone saying "stop posting spoilers" will flag that. No one's going to read the last page and think "huh, maybe these people are just speculating about King".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I for one haven't read a single page of ONE's version, so if that's actually true, huh. v:v:v

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bremen posted:

That's only true in cases where someone drops a spoiler that an unaware reader might miss or dismiss as speculation, where someone saying "stop posting spoilers" will flag that. No one's going to read the last page and think "huh, maybe these people are just speculating about King".

I did.

It's kind of funny how the only hinting left is by the author of the thread and all the "Stop hinting :(" people.
vvv

And More fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 15, 2014

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
There's nothing in this or any previous chapters that suggest King is a weakling or whatever you're all so very subtly hinting at. The most I would have said is his personality isn't as strong as his appearance.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Nobody has spoiled what the funniest thing about King is yet so how about all you goons, smug hinters and spoiler crybabies, just shut the gently caress up in this thread before you actually ruin it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Okay I hosed up let's stop talking about this now and just enjoy the chapter

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
when did this chapter happen? i dont remember reading it before

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/242580/onepunch-man_ch34.55_by_nerieru-scans/1

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kuvo posted:

when did this chapter happen? i dont remember reading it before

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/242580/onepunch-man_ch34.55_by_nerieru-scans/1

It was an extra chapter, not part of the main storyline.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bremen posted:

Yeah, some of these people were making outright statements, and the same thing came up so many times from different people that even if it was phrased more speculatively it'd still be blatantly obvious.

It sucks too because I rely on this thread to know when updates and in particular edits of past chapters come, yet apparently reading it is going to spoil me on what's coming.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Roland Jones posted:

It sucks too because I rely on this thread to know when updates and in particular edits of past chapters come, yet apparently reading it is going to spoil me on what's coming.

Welcome to the somethingawful dot com forums and the internet in general. I hope you are current with your game of thrones spoilers

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This thread is basically your friend who has already seen the movie and is sitting next to you saying OH MAN THIS PART COMING UP IS SO GOOD for the entire 2 hour runtime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fellis posted:

Welcome to the somethingawful dot com forums and the internet in general. I hope you are current with your game of thrones spoilers

Next chapter King will die on the toilet.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Where was King when all the other S-Class heroes were fighting under the alien ship? Did that get explained already and I just forgot, or does that come up later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Bybus Slago posted:

Where was King when all the other S-Class heroes were fighting under the alien ship? Did that get explained already and I just forgot, or does that come up later?

Probably peace out before the fighting since he can't fly.