Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

slowbeef posted:

See, I don't know that I'd call those jump scares. The thing about a jump scare is that it's just randomly out of nowhere. If there's buildup, I think that makes it better than cheap "BOO!" kind of things.

Well the king of jumpscares has spoken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

I might be off base here, but I count jump scares as anything that wants to make you jump. There are more of these than just the ghost eating you and the ghost possessing you in P.T, like the ghost suddenly appearing under the lamp in the foyer, and the ghost shutting the bathroom door in your face (rude as hell). The latter has a buildup, but the goal of the sequence is to startle you, not instilling some lasting sense of dread.

There's getting spooked, and there's getting actually scared.
P.T. Spooked me, sure, but it didn't leave me with any kind of lasting dread quite like for example Silent Hill 3, Fatal Frame or Amnesia.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno. I have an irrational fear of mundane hallways repeating themselves, now.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Hadooooken posted:

the ghost suddenly appearing under the lamp in the foyer,

See, I don't count that as a jump scare, it didn't make me jump but when the lights went out that aggressively forced the feeling of dread onto me. The possibility of the scare to come from going in there without light. I think it really is just a matter of what affects you and there's little way to fully agree on the subject but this demo hit me harder than any other video game, Silent Hill or otherwise.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hadooooken posted:

P.T. Spooked me, sure, but it didn't leave me with any kind of lasting dread quite like for example Silent Hill 3, Fatal Frame or Amnesia.

Fatal Frame had some really good jump scares that paid off due to the atmosphere. The ghost appearing right in front of your face after taking its picture in one part was perfect.

Found it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DoCFBpVCIg&t=110s
Skip to 1:50 if the video doesn't start there.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
A 'jump scare' is only scary if the atmosphere is working. There's plenty of movies and games with jump scares that don't work, because the atmosphere is limp. P.T. worked for me, ymmv.

EDIT: 24 minutes of Until Dawn was just put on youtube. This would be how I'd define jump scares. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpES5O5pvo

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 15, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

Tell us more about this thing you never actually played yourself :allears:

I wasn't aware watching a playthrough alone in the dark multiple times didn't qualify as a form of experience now. Thank you for correcting me oh master of semantics.

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Not sure why this was spoilered but i wont break it just in case there was a reason, but the cynic in me thinks that Del Toro's involvement probably consists of ideas from the now abandoned inSANE. I could've sworn it never found a home after THQ went under and knowing how much of a fanboy he can be it was probably an homage to the Silent Hill series, so he wouldn't have any issue with making it an official game now that isn't competing with his stuff.

edit: Source that doesn't do more than not fully refute my Speculation

This is probably true and I was aware of it, I just still don't feel that enthused about him being a glorified "idea man" for the project, even if he's a better idea man than half of the horror talent working today.

echronorian posted:

I dunno. I have an irrational fear of mundane hallways repeating themselves, now.

If you've never had nightmares like PT then you need to start having more mundane nightmares I tell you what.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Checking in this thread out of curiosity: anyone know if there's a way to trigger the R3 button when streaming from a Vita? Wanna drop this on friends at work for fun.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

mind the walrus posted:

^^^^ There's ballsy, and then there's dumb. What are you really trying to prove by doing a game like this on mushrooms anyway?

What happened to my head is not something that gets better.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

caligulamprey posted:

Checking in this thread out of curiosity: anyone know if there's a way to trigger the R3 button when streaming from a Vita? Wanna drop this on friends at work for fun.

I would imagine you haven't tried it yet, but yes, every PS4 game is mandated to have a working control scheme for Vita remote play. I haven't personally verified myself, but I would be STUNNED if it didn't work.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

echronorian posted:

A 'jump scare' is only scary if the atmosphere is working. There's plenty of movies and games with jump scares that don't work, because the atmosphere is limp. P.T. worked for me, ymmv.

EDIT: 24 minutes of Until Dawn was just put on youtube. This would be how I'd define jump scares. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpES5O5pvo

Five minutes in and a character unironically went "Its a g-g-g-ghost!" Jesus Christ.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

Five minutes in and a character unironically went "Its a g-g-g-ghost!" Jesus Christ.

But not a single "master of unlocking". I'm really confused now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

echronorian posted:

Hahaha this game looks like garbage, holy moly.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I'd say P.T. uses jump scares just enough to keep you on edge. Deliberately avoiding anything resembling a jump score makes it difficult to create a truly scary atmosphere because the player will eventually catch on that nothing will happen that they won't be able to prepare for.

Edit: until dawn is the David cage thing, right? Was anyone expecting it to be good?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zinkraptor posted:

Edit: until dawn is the David cage thing, right? Was anyone expecting it to be good?

Doesn't look like it. Too much gameplay for a David Cage game, dohohoho.

The developer has done a bunch of small-time games, Killzone HD, and some support stuff on LittleBigPlanet. Seems like this is their first big release and it shows.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Jump scares are good and if you don't like them you probably have a weak bladder.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Frankly I don't think any game has been as scary as P.T. in recent memory, and I don't really trust my rose tinted glasses on the subject. It's definitely been a while. AVP 2 Marine campaign might be the last time I wanted to scream at a monitor. If the full game at least captures that constant unease, I'll think be happily terrified.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Just The Facts posted:

Fatal Frame had some really good jump scares that paid off due to the atmosphere. The ghost appearing right in front of your face after taking its picture in one part was perfect.

Found it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DoCFBpVCIg&t=110s
Skip to 1:50 if the video doesn't start there.

I think I'd be more scared watching Pewdiepie play SH than I would playing this game myself.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Crappy Jack posted:

I would imagine you haven't tried it yet, but yes, every PS4 game is mandated to have a working control scheme for Vita remote play. I haven't personally verified myself, but I would be STUNNED if it didn't work.
Front right corner of the screen to be precise!

I was just punching the thing front and center like a child shouting at it to zoom.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

1stGear posted:

DAY ONE PURCHASE.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Hadooooken posted:

That's because you were 13 when those games came out.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

Jump scares are good and if you don't like them you probably have a weak bladder.

I've never been a fan of them, because I see them more of a reflex action then actually being scary.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So has anything been found out as to what the hell the photo pieces are for?
You don't need them to complete it, and nothing special seems to happen when you get them all, is it possible there's more to it?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Finished P.T. tonight. Only getting stuck at the Red eye rooms. I even got the trailer at the end unlocked. It's funny, people mentioned getting a yellow screen near the end, I got a different screen when it glitched out.

It was a entirely black screen with text in multiple languages which read something like "This isn't real. This can not hurt or harm you in any way, shape, or form."

Now I want to play Silent Hill. I'm a lot more comfortable with letting myself get scared shitless.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I have now read like three guides and have been trying to end the demo for over 45 minutes. How does no one actually know what the trigger is

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

ZergRushing posted:

That's because you were 13 when those games came out.

Yeah except I didn't play those games when I was 13, and I've replayed them several times since. I don't really have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to horror games since I tend to delve into them pretty regularly.

Starks posted:

I have now read like three guides and have been trying to end the demo for over 45 minutes. How does no one actually know what the trigger is

Well, the one thing that's for certain is that you need a mic to even pop the 2nd baby laugh. What you need to be looking at for it to happen is different for every person it seems like. Kojima didn't expect people to even solve it for a week.

Hadooooken fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 16, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Starks posted:

For which part, the very, very end?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Ularg posted:

For which part, the very, very end?

Yep. Ive tried everything but cant get the second baby laugh. Its kind of retarded. Tried two different mics, tried running around, standing still, checking each item during hauntings, still nothing. Really hope the final game has nothing like this because I was really enjoying it up until now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Starks posted:

Yep. Ive tried everything but cant get the second baby laugh. Its kind of retarded. Tried two different mics, tried running around, standing still, checking each item during hauntings, still nothing. Really hope the final game has nothing like this because I was really enjoying it up until now.

Okay, here's what I did (like half an hour ago):

Start the loop, this has to be done after the red hallways with eye paintings. You'll have a completely blacked out loop now, you do not need the picture pieces. As soon as you start the loop, walk forward towards the corner by the phone. At this point it should have struck midnight. Lisa will spawn at this point along with spooky music. Listen to her footsteps, when she is gone count your steps (the thumps you make walking) and take 10 steps forward. After exactly 10 steps you'll hear another baby laugh, STAND STILL! Do not move your vision either. Your controller will start vibrating, you'll hear a third baby laugh and then the phone will ring. Interact with the phone using R3 and then after he talks, finish the loop. You'll need a microphone connected to your PS4 during this. Make sure to make enough audible noise into your mic. You can say phrases like "Hello, Lisa" or "Help me" to make sure. You'll need to do this at any time after midnight. Preferably right after it strikes midnight.

Sorry that it's wordy. I got it on my first try.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Ularg posted:

Okay, here's what I did (like half an hour ago):

Start the loop, this has to be done after the red hallways with eye paintings. You'll have a completely blacked out loop now, you do not need the picture pieces. As soon as you start the loop, walk forward towards the corner by the phone. At this point it should have struck midnight. Lisa will spawn at this point along with spooky music. Listen to her footsteps, when she is gone count your steps (the thumps you make walking) and take 10 steps forward. After exactly 10 steps you'll hear another baby laugh, STAND STILL! Do not move your vision either. Your controller will start vibrating, you'll hear a third baby laugh and then the phone will ring. Interact with the phone using R3 and then after he talks, finish the loop. You'll need a microphone connected to your PS4 during this. Make sure to make enough audible noise into your mic. You can say phrases like "Hello, Lisa" or "Help me" to make sure. You'll need to do this at any time after midnight. Preferably right after it strikes midnight.

Sorry that it's wordy. I got it on my first try.

Nah you take 10 steps to hear the first laugh. Its after that that I cant trigger the second, and I've tried both standing still like you said and also trying to find the ghost. I'm done at this point though just gonna watch a youtube vid.

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 16, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Starks posted:

Nah you take 10 steps to hear the first laugh. Its after that that I cant trigger the second, and I've tried standing still lile you said and trying to find the ghost. I'm done at this point though just gonna watch a youtube vid.

Seriously, I got the first laugh after Lisa left and the creepy music started dying down. The second from 10 steps, then the third from standing still.

You don't need to find the ghost. You don't need to complete the picture. You just need the laughs.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

echronorian posted:

lmfao Until Dawn looks like it's going to be the worst poo poo imaginable.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

THE PENETRATOR posted:

lmfao Until Dawn looks like it's going to be the worst poo poo imaginable.

I think it looks great - in the way that watching cheesy teen slasher flicks can be fun. The characters are going to be annoying and stupid and they'll all die horribly, but that's going to be part of the fun. And I dig the throwback fixed camera angles.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ularg posted:

Seriously, I got the first laugh after Lisa left and the creepy music started dying down. The second from 10 steps, then the third from standing still.

You don't need to find the ghost. You don't need to complete the picture. You just need the laughs.

No you don't, I said upthread I didn't do any of that poo poo, we just opened options for about 5 minutes after the first laugh.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

I don't know if Guillermo del Toro being attached to this game is an endorsement or not. Sure Pans Labyrinth is good but have you guys seen The Strain on TV right now? holy poo poo it's really bad. The dialog is worse than a poorly translated video game. All the time and effort has clearly gone into the visual

Kojima is obviously a shining endorsement and the teaser invokes a very Japanese and Grudge-like tone. If del Toro is relegated to the visceral gore and poo poo then I'd be a lot more comfortable

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Chronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are all fantastic, moody pieces. If Del Toro brings that aesthetic to the game it'll be great. He's a great visual designer, and I'm sure his designs would fit in well with Silent Hill. I hope there's a bunch of weird poo poo in Spanish.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Hollenhammer posted:

All the time and effort has clearly gone into the visual

That's sort of a ringing endorsement, for a silent hill game.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
GDT I think provides a unique aesthetic, not much more. So if that means I'm going in with some positive optimism, and bias, then so be it. It isn't like I've not purchased a single Silent Hill yet, nor a Metal Gear, so having Hideo involved solidifies my naivete to pretentious games.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Daedalus1134 posted:

Someone did a white balance correction on one of their screenshots, looks uncomfortably close to a real photo taken with a disposable camera.

Here

Here's another one from gaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hollenhammer posted:

I don't know if Guillermo del Toro being attached to this game is an endorsement or not. Sure Pans Labyrinth is good but have you guys seen The Strain on TV right now? holy poo poo it's really bad. The dialog is worse than a poorly translated video game. All the time and effort has clearly gone into the visual

Kojima is obviously a shining endorsement and the teaser invokes a very Japanese and Grudge-like tone. If del Toro is relegated to the visceral gore and poo poo then I'd be a lot more comfortable

Del Toro's english language work, IMHO, always seemed like one half of a great collaboration. He just needs a dude who can write his ideas well/flesh them out and expand. The Strand novel is a very good example of that. I enjoy the ensemble/expansive story about new york going to poo poo by feral vampires, but the actual writing is slightly embarrassing to read. Pacific Rim, while being loving awesome, is just one good rewrite by one fantastic writer to being an all time classic. Del Toro on a Silent Hill is interesting no matter what. However, unless the end result is a departure quality-wise, then I remain mildly curious and cautiously pessimistic.

• Locked thread