Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Actually I would watch the gently caress out of a RE show that was handled like Fringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Can Mulder and Scully show up at one point in our RE show? I mean, they wouldn't be Mulder and Scully, just David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson from the FBI but I'd still like it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What if Mulder & Scully were investigating Umbrella's Mansion in the first game?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
SCULLY: See, I told you it wasn't aliens.
MULDER: [pouts]

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
If it was truly meant to be X-Files-esq, there would be a subplot implying that the people behind Umbrella were aliens or something. But there would never be any confirmation of anything ever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mogomra posted:

If it was truly meant to be X-Files-esq, there would be a subplot implying that the people behind Umbrella were aliens or something. But there would never be any confirmation of anything ever.

Nah. It'd be that Wesker and Birkin were secretly working on a vaccine to protect people from Spencer's world domination scheme.

Unless the show is based around the BSAA, I don't see how an investigation theme would work; even then I don't have high hopes. It'll suck.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

A BSAA investigation show would just be the main characters getting iced and leaving paper files over and over while ending on a shot of Chris or Jill entering the setting of the episode.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I mentioned in some RE LP thread or another that there are a lot of things about the current Resident Evil status quo that I find legitimately fascinating, but which the series has never really been willing or able to address. One of those things is Umbrella and how it would work.

In the pre-RE4 games, you see a lot of incidental files and other mentions that Umbrella is one of the largest corporations on the planet and makes a lot of medicines, cosmetics, and the odd bit of synthetic food. There are entire "Umbrella towns" populated by families who owe their living to the company, like Sheena Island in Survivor, and who would presumably prioritize their loyalty to Umbrella over their nationalities. One of the things about RE0 that I always thought was creepy as hell, and which few people talk about, is the weird air of indoctrination you see in the training facility, where Umbrella isn't simply teaching young employees as much as brainwashing them.

It wouldn't really be Resident Evil anymore by the time you were done, because you'd theoretically be doing it as well as you could, but there's at least enough for a TV show here, and it's actually very topical in the wake of Citizens United: an absurdly powerful corporation turns out to be up to its eyeballs in black science and one homicide detective's got just enough proof that they want him dead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Obedience breeds Discipline
Discipline breeds Unity
Unity breeds Power
Power is Life

That's honestly one of my fave cutscenes in Zero. It's just kind of a shame 99% of Umbrella employees we see in the games are selfish traitors in it for themselves. Nicholai, Wesker, Birkin, Alfred and Alexia... Only our Russian friend with the extremely Russian name of Sergei Vladimir (is that like the Russian equivalent of beinn named Carl Bob?) from Umbrella Chronicles was loyal to Umbrella.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How can you be loyal to Umbrella? It's like an oxymoron. Every single person working for Umbrella has some sort of hidden agenda against the company, including the people who created Umbrella. If you are loyal to Umbrella, what exactly are you loyal to? Creating hosed up creatures? Because that's the only thing they've ever successfully done.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think it was only Spencer with any sort of hidden agenda. Edward Ashford didn't do anything and Marcus was happy just to make his zombie virus.

As for being loyal to Umbrella...I dunno. Why were people loyal to COBRA? Or Skeletor? Or Krang and Shredder?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Umbrella is also perfectly happy to betray its employees for any reason, just cause.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I think it was only Spencer with any sort of hidden agenda. Edward Ashford didn't do anything and Marcus was happy just to make his zombie virus.

Yeah, Ashford was completely on Team Spencer and Marcus is flat-out said to have not cared about the company at all for the first twenty years of its existence.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How can you be loyal to Umbrella? It's like an oxymoron. Every single person working for Umbrella has some sort of hidden agenda against the company, including the people who created Umbrella. If you are loyal to Umbrella, what exactly are you loyal to? Creating hosed up creatures? Because that's the only thing they've ever successfully done.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for being loyal to Umbrella...I dunno. Why were people loyal to COBRA? Or Skeletor? Or Krang and Shredder?

One of the things that Umbrella brings to the table for a prospective hire is that it as a company flat-out does not care about laws, human life, or standard morality. You can do just about anything and the company has your back. Combine that with that whole weird libertarian streak you get with a lot of scientists and engineers and you'd have a recipe for an entire generation of brilliant but insane biologists/virologists going all in on Umbrella, much in the same spirit as the original Bioshock.

On top of that, as somebody else said, there's this whole rich vein of American history where corporations get a creepy amount of influence over their employees' minds, free time, and general way of thinking. It would take very little effort to parallel Umbrella, creepy horror corporation, with "company stores" or early Microserfs-era Microsoft.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It could pass off as a government if that is the case.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Didn't Umbrella make a ton of money as a legit pharmaceutical company? Or is it implied that the intent of the company from Day One was to make bioweapons for reasons?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Didn't Umbrella make a ton of money as a legit pharmaceutical company? Or is it implied that the intent of the company from Day One was to make bioweapons for reasons?

The back story for Umbrella changed and got more convoluted with each sequel.

I believe in the original game, all that was said was that the T-Virus was originally created to infect enemies prisoners of war with so they could be returned to their own countries and cause a ruckus.
All the giant monsters and mutants came later when they started experimenting on non-humans with it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Umbrella can be assumed to be the in-universe equivalent of a company like Johnson & Johnson or Pfizer. If you're Joe/Jane Average in the RE universe before 1998 you probably have at least one Umbrella product in your home. The legitimate pharmaceutical R&D is what funds the hidden labs, secret passages, private mercenary squad, and large-scale criminal activities, and there's a throwaway line at the end of Ada's scenario in RE4 that suggests Umbrella had its hand in a lot of genuine criminal enterprises.

The original point of the company was to fund and house research into the "Spirit of the Sun," which was a strange plant Spencer found in Africa. He had this whole lifelong ambition going on to evolve humanity into his own personal slave species, and thought the Spirit held the key thereof. Spencer and Marcus managed to derive the Progenitor virus from the Spirit, and Marcus used the Progenitor to make the T-Virus. Both viruses had a lot of potential applications, but they were profitable sidelines compared to Spencer's stated purpose.

Umbrella itself never actually marketed its bioweapons, because it never had the chance. We saw the company try to auction off some BOWs once, on the ocean liner in Dead Aim, and Morpheus Duvall screwed that up by infecting every single person aboard the ship. Now all the BOWs are black-market products or, in the case of the T-Abyss from Revelations, weaponized research projects.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wanderer posted:

The original point of the company was to fund and house research into the "Spirit of the Sun," which was a strange plant Spencer found in Africa. He had this whole lifelong ambition going on to evolve humanity into his own personal slave species, and thought the Spirit held the key thereof. Spencer and Marcus managed to derive the Progenitor virus from the Spirit, and Marcus used the Progenitor to make the T-Virus. Both viruses had a lot of potential applications, but they were profitable sidelines compared to Spencer's stated purpose.

Trying to find info on this but I'm not having any luck.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's in a bunch of files from RE5 that you find in the old production facility.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still love that Mr.X was a perfect, marketable bioweapon...who only went crazy in Outbreak because he was absolutely sick of the poo poo he got from the guy holding his suicide detonator.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poptart_fairy posted:

I still love that Mr.X was a perfect, marketable bioweapon...who only went crazy in Outbreak because he was absolutely sick of the poo poo he got from the guy holding his suicide detonator.

Suicide detonator? Man I really need to brush up on my RE lore.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Suicide detonator? Man I really need to brush up on my RE lore.

Well, a bomb at any rate! The Mr.X in Outbreak had a bomb implanted in him that could be detonated if he went out of control. Unfortunately, the dickhead engineer holding the detonator waves it around a lot while bragging about the control he has - and Mr.X is smart enough to make a connection...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There's also a relatively well-hidden file in that scenario that says all they ever did with that particular Mr. X was cage-match it against Hunters to see just how durable it was, and that they were pretty sure it would go nuts if it was ever used for any other purpose.

To be fair, in that stage in Outbreak, you're stuck in Umbrella's headquarters with two scientists and surrounded by Hunters, so using Mr. X to punch your way to freedom is a pretty good plan, and it even works. The scientist just opens his damned mouth once too often and Mr. X flattens his skull for him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The practicality of Umbrella's bio-weapons has been discussed a lot and most people agree they all suck. If you were actually going to war even a Tyrant wouldn't be much use. The only real application for the BOWs is small-scale stuff. Something like Nemesis or Umbrella CHronicles' TALOS would be pretty good there.

But to develop all of this, Umbrella perfected human cloning, Cryogenics, and created several different strains of viruses. Spencer being a madman is the only way to make sense of any of it since he kept chucking tons of money down a toilet. I'm reminded of John Hammond's speech in the Jurassic Park novel about how science for science's sake is stupid. The reason he created Jurassic Park in the first place was because the only way to earn back all the money that went into cloning extinct animals was to market them.

In the end, the T-Virus itself is probably the best weapon Umbrella ever created.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The thing about Spencer is that he was comically rich before he started. He, Marcus, and Ashford were all heirs to vast fortunes and funded Umbrella's creation out of pocket. He could go ahead and flush untold millions down the toilet, as the rest of the company was adding to his already vast personal fortune. It wasn't bankruptcy that got Spencer in the end, but just plain old time; he got too old to keep doing what he wanted to be doing, which was using the T-Virus as a method to force-evolve the human race. A lot of people experimented with it for a lot of different reasons, ranging from accidentally creating new forms of life to deliberately creating new forms of life to almost getting it to cure cancer, but all of that came in second place to Spencer and his evolution agenda. He didn't care about making more money, so most of Umbrella's innovations stayed in-house.

NikkolasKing posted:

The practicality of Umbrella's bio-weapons has been discussed a lot and most people agree they all suck. If you were actually going to war even a Tyrant wouldn't be much use. The only real application for the BOWs is small-scale stuff. Something like Nemesis or Umbrella CHronicles' TALOS would be pretty good there.

In the old games, where all the monsters are something they created for chuckles or by complete accident, yeah. A few of them could be worth using under the right circumstances but they've got obvious weaknesses and they'd crumple against a well-armed team that knew what they were up against. Nemesis is the exception, of course, and Mr. X wasn't bad within certain very specific parameters.

There's a trend in the games' timeline, however, where all the BOWs become legitimately terrifying once Umbrella's not in charge of R&D on them anymore. The BOWs in Damnation, for example, are actually scary. The Lickers are vicious little bastards who seem to be naturally great at urban combat and there's a method by which they can be directly controlled by a human target caller, and a single Tyrant is roughly equal to a tank but does not require the same supply chain.

If you turn it back to Revelations, BOWs made it possible for a tiny little terrorist cell that might have had a hundred guys in it to attack and contaminate a major city to the point where it had to be destroyed, and they didn't even spread a virus to do it. They just unleashed about sixty million Hunters, because apparently Hunters breed like frogs or something and you can just make tons of them in your garage once you know how.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isn't the forced evolution what Wesker was trying to do in RE5? The problem seems to be that Uroboros was too potent for anybody, even Albert. Been forever since I looked at RE5 but most people I talked to say he was rejected by the virus too, even if it was only partly. He did not have "perfect assimilation" or whatever it is he thought he could have. It made me wonder if Lisa Trevor could have been the only person strong enough to fully merge with it. If you've read Wesker's Report II you know Lisa was essentially a genetic freak who could not be killed or overwhelmed by anything she was exposed to. She might be able to fully take on the Uroboros Virus without it overwhelming her. (not that it would do her much good as her mind is pretty much gone but eh, details)

And drat, Damnation sounds pretty cool. Maybe I should get around to trying it. I really disliked Degeneration and kind of "grew out of" the RE series but I do have some nostalgia for the franchise.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NikkolasKing posted:

Depends on if they have cutscene immunity or not. If the opening scene of Resident Evil 2 is to be believed, an army of cops with machine guns aren't enough to take down a mild swarm of zombies. Meanwhile, one plucky young rookie and his trusty sidearm changes everything...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't the forced evolution what Wesker was trying to do in RE5?

It's more or less exactly what he was trying to do, yes. Wesker is deliberately stealing Spencer's scheme, because Spencer told him about it and that Wesker himself is the result of an experiment that was meant to bring it to fruition.

Depends on if they have cutscene immunity or not. If the opening scene of Resident Evil 2 is to be believed, an army of cops with machine guns aren't enough to take down a mild swarm of zombies. Meanwhile, one plucky young rookie and his trusty sidearm changes everything...

The problem there is that the police officers are, as one expects from the inhabitants of a zombie film, genre-blind. They aren't firing a calm series of individual headshots to clear out the zombies, then switching to their trusty Hanzo steel once they're in range; they're panicking because there's a tidal wave of corpses headed straight for them and they don't have the ammunition to bring them all down at once. We also know from RE2 that their police chief was basically loving with them the entire time because he had his last and best psychotic break right then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So honest question, has anybody gone and replayed RE1-3 of late? Do they actually hold up in your opinion?

It just is so weird to me that everybody forgets that RE4 and 5 had the same controls as the original game. It's just that the camera is different. True, the camera was balls in the original games and it was more of a threat than any monster but "tank controls" are still there in 4/5.

It just seems to me that the reason "Classic RE" was so beloved is precisely because of the limitations of the time. With the advancement of technology and hardware, you are no longer as constricted. The RE games thus are only good because they are so outdated if that makes sense. Maybe it doesn't but it's something I've heard a lot of people say.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On the effectiveness of BOWs, one sequence that jumps out at me was the 'good guy' sequence in ORC where you're fighting against Umbrella troops supporting a Nemesis. At that point you can definitely see the potential they're working with, as the loving thing can shrug off an ungodly amount of pain, regenerate damaged tissue and wield weapons that are normally attached to a heavy vehicle. While deadly on its own the real danger comes from its support crew - focus on the Nemesis and you're largely wasting bullets but letting its other troops get into position and hose you down, but focus on the regular soldiers and Nemmy's free to destroy basically everything in the universe without getting bogged down in lead.

On an individual basis the weapons don't seem so great, but yeah; supplemented by humans and 'normal' tactics I can see why people might pay for these things.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I was playing Resi 2 only recently (Dreamcast version) and while the graphics and controls aren't much chop by today's standards, the atmosphere is still pretty awesome. Never played 3, and replaying Resi 1 as the REmake version is recommended, I'd say.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So honest question, has anybody gone and replayed RE1-3 of late? Do they actually hold up in your opinion?

It just is so weird to me that everybody forgets that RE4 and 5 had the same controls as the original game. It's just that the camera is different. True, the camera was balls in the original games and it was more of a threat than any monster but "tank controls" are still there in 4/5.

It just seems to me that the reason "Classic RE" was so beloved is precisely because of the limitations of the time. With the advancement of technology and hardware, you are no longer as constricted. The RE games thus are only good because they are so outdated if that makes sense. Maybe it doesn't but it's something I've heard a lot of people say.

I started with RE5 back in 2011 or 2012ish. Loved it, so I went back to play RE4, which convinced me to play RE6 ( enjoyed that as well, helps that I played on PC ), and Revelations.

I recently got a PC that could handle Dolphin emulation, so I bought REmake, Zero, RE2, and RE3.

REmakes Chris campaign wasn't very fun due to the lack of story, but the gameplay felt great. When I went back with Jill, I enjoyed it much more thanks to Barry constantly being around.

RE2 was a masterpiece, and I can see why it's so loved.

Zero was boring, and the story/gameplay felt dated to me in a way RE/2 didn't. I got to the mansion and quit after the leech monster trapped me in a bathroom.

Oddly, RE3 felt the most dated to me. While RE/2 just focused on running/firepower, RE3 added the dodge mechanic, and I found it hard to pull off in an old game sense. With all the combat encounters built around the idea of you dodging rather then running, I was forced into losing health for little gain. This was made worse by the ammo building minigame, which I just found boring. Mix in a bad plot that is completely forgettable, and I really disliked RE3.

If Capcom remade RE2/CV, I think most people would enjoy them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've played through the PC port of 2 recently. It's still very good and fun and holds up very well. I've also been playing a bunch of Code Veronica lately, been trying to A-rank, it also holds up reasonably well but some of the less intuitive mechanics can be a drag.

Code Veronica's camera is infinite more irritating than RE2 though, the Battle Game of CV was a pretty huge headache because of it. First person camera does not remedy the problem in this mode, it just creates a different one. Mixed bag.

I like the older style of the games and don't see anything really antiquated or obviously old-fashioned about it, just a different style.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The camera wasn't the only gigantic change in RE4. Hell, I'd argue it's nowhere near as significant as the other major change.

Being able to loving aim.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I was playing Resi 2 only recently (Dreamcast version) and while the graphics and controls aren't much chop by today's standards, the atmosphere is still pretty awesome.

I have it on Dreamcast too and I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Mostly the controls though, I dislike tank controls for th emost part, but I'm not certain if that's because I'm trying to do it on a controller, or if the Dreamcast version doesn't control as well as, say the PSX version. I didn't mind the tank controls in Alone in the Dark (the first one), but I'm also not sure if that's because arrow keys work really good for it, of if it just controls real well.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I pulled out Resident Evil Directors Cut Dual Shock Edition the other day and hahaha what the gently caress those zombies are so dumb.

:zombie: : "Fresh... Brains... Oh hey, I should check out this wall first."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darwinism posted:

The camera wasn't the only gigantic change in RE4. Hell, I'd argue it's nowhere near as significant as the other major change.

Being able to loving aim.

Meh, you could aim in the Gun Survivor games. :v:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I was playing Resi 2 only recently (Dreamcast version) and while the graphics and controls aren't much chop by today's standards,

Man, I don't get this. RE2's controls are incredibly responsive and are pretty much perfect for the style, the game's missing a strafe command and that's about it.

There's a definite learning curve involved with tank controls since they're different from standard fare but I've never felt like the controls were bad or outdated.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
RE3 was annoying as gently caress with constantly being chased by a fast enemy at certain areas. Silent Hill 4 did it right by having a slow, creepy guy follow you around everywhere. You know you had to do things quickly and the game won't stop you from doing certain things when Walter is around like they force you to in RE3. RE3 was like a clusterfuck of finding what the devs wanted you to do to advance the plot and avoid Nemmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

RE3 was annoying as gently caress with constantly being chased by a fast enemy at certain areas. Silent Hill 4 did it right by having a slow, creepy guy follow you around everywhere. You know you had to do things quickly and the game won't stop you from doing certain things when Walter is around like they force you to in RE3. RE3 was like a clusterfuck of finding what the devs wanted you to do to advance the plot and avoid Nemmy.

You mean kill Nemmy for his precious precious loot drops. :colbert: