Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I googled Carbuncle.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I did too, but with a text search to find out why it would be bad to google it.

Also, how does it feel to hate fun and whimsy, Fedule? :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't know Carbuncle was anything other than a jewel.

Now I know.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On the one hand, I can appreciate having this chapter as a breather after the fairly oppressive feel of Palumpolum, which is just a long string of combat.

On the other hand, they could have put some actual gameplay in here.

Of course, this is FF13, so the gameplay is just a long string of combat. I really get the feeling that this game is driven entirely by the art designers, with some writers doing the backstory, and that was it. Pity, I liked the idea behind the combat system. It's just in such an uninspired game.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Since the chapter brought us back to Vanille, there is a thing which hinted at her true nature as far back as when she was first introduced, although it's easy to miss it. When you first play the game, you use Lightning and Snow, and they have two ATB bars. When you use Vanille, she has three. Then you go back to the others, and it's back to two ATB bars each.

And then they get turned into L'Cie, and suddenly they have three ATB bars...

I thought it was a nice little touch, at least. Or I did when I got it pointed out to me, because I didn't notice it either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Vanille's brand is also farther along its development than everyone else's. She usually has an extra arrow on hers compared to the rest of the party's.

The only thing I don't get is why she's present in the cutscene when Pulse brands the party. Did he give her a new brand/Focus? Did he just double tap the one he already gave her? Or did he just realize halfway through "oh poo poo, I did you already. Whoops. My bad."?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Why did Vanille practically drag Hope to/through the Vestige if she knew a fal'Cie was in there waiting to brand people? Considering how guilty she seems to feel about being responsible for Dajh becoming a l'Cie, it's like she was trying to get people l'Cie'd on purpose.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Especially since getting as many ranfom people branded as possible was Serah's Focus to begin with.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Schwartzcough posted:

Why did Vanille practically drag Hope to/through the Vestige if she knew a fal'Cie was in there waiting to brand people? Considering how guilty she seems to feel about being responsible for Dajh becoming a l'Cie, it's like she was trying to get people l'Cie'd on purpose.

I don't think there are any spoilers in this, but I might be forgetting which of the "13 Days" flashbacks we've already seen.

Vanille was trying to get Purged in order to go home to Pulse. She felt guilty about Serah and wanted to run away, a common thing among Vanille related plots.

She needed to be in the Vestige in order to get back, as the official story is that the Vestige is sent to Pulse.

Vanille needed Hope to operate the Velocycle in order to get in the Vestige. And that's why Hope was brought along, as far as I know.

edit: and she only realizes that they were never getting back to Pulse when they were in the Vestige. She's a bit slow.

The game elaborates on Vanille's general motivations later on, so I won't say more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, if I'm reading Vanille right, chobobos and the sheepies are both native to Pulse? Huh. Wonder if humans are too.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Well, if you remember back, the Fal'cie used bits and bobs from Pulse to repair cocoon after the war. Whats to say they didn't grab other things as well?

Typing that reminded me again that I want to like 13, but I just can't bring myself to it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 23: The City of Nightmares (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Feast of Betrayal
Eidolons on Parade
Test of the l'Cie
Game Over

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

No Place Left to Run

Tired of fleeing with no hope in sight, Sazh quietly says his good-byes to Vanille.

He intends to give himself up to the army and beg PSICOM to let him talk to his son. Even if it ends in his execution, it will all be worth it if he can see Dajh one more time and tell him about his encounter with the Nautilus Park chocobos.

Not willing to let Sazh just give up and die, Vanille tries to talk him out of it. Revenge is her best bet.

If she reveals the identity of the culprit behind the Euride Gorge incident that sealed the fate of both father and son, then maybe Sazh will have something to live for.

The culprit, of course, is Vanille herself. But how to explain...? As the young woman searches for the right words, sniper bullets bite into the ground around them.

Sazh covers Vanille as they run for the exit.

It's all fine if he gets captured by the army, but he has to help Vanille escape.

quote:

The Euride Incident

Upon becoming a Sanctum l'Cie, Dajh gained the ability to sense the presence of Pulse beings. With the help of his powers, the fal'Cie that had slumbered for centuries in Bodhum was subsequently discovered on the night of the fireworks display.

Since that time, no one has been able to work out what Dajh's Focus actually is, but now it reveals itself in the cruelest manner possible. He uses his sensory ability to track down the fugitive l'Cie—and turns to crystal the instant he embraces his father. It seems the boy's task was to capture the servants of the lowerworld fal'Cie.

As Sazh collapses in shock and despair, Colonel Nabaat, the PSICOM officer supervising Dajh, appears before him. With sadistic glee, his captor at last reveals the truth to the distraught Sazh: that one of the people responsible for his son becoming a l'Cie has been at his side all along.

Vanille flees and Sazh gives chase.

Colonel Nabaat does nothing to stop them. Just think of the data they could collect by watching l'Cie fight each other...

quote:

Sugar and Rainbows

Sazh loses his will to go on.

With his beloved son transformed into crystal, he has nothing left to live for. He curses Vanille for her part in the tragedy, but killing her won't bring Dajh back.

Sazh's brand suddenly glows with burning intensity, and the Eidolon Brynhildr appears before the despairing father. He doesn't even try to run. Maybe death is the easiest path.

But then Vanille puts herself between them.

Sazh may despise her for what she's done, but she can't let him die. Once the Eidolon is defeated, Sazh turns his gun on Vanille. Unable to shoot the young woman, he then turns the gun on himself...

quote:

People: Dajh Katzroy

Dajh is Sazh's only child. His mother passed away three years ago, but instead of being miserable, he bravely comforts his grieving father.

During the incident at the Euride Gorge energy plant, Dajh is made into a Sanctum l'Cie with the ability to sense power of Pulse origin. Although he discovers the fal'Cie in Bodhum, his true Focus—capturing Pulse l'Cie—is learned when he is reunited with his father and turns to crystal.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Nautilus Security Regiment

This Guardian Corps unit is responsible for maintaining the security in Nautilus, the popular City of Dreams. With the fun-filled amusement park requiring little supervision, the Nautilus Security Regiment spends much of its time practicing combat maneuvers.

This regiment's highly trained soldiers are often deployed in support of PSICOM operations, and many of its members joined the sweep teams searching for fugitive l'Cie in the Vile Peaks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tenebrais posted:

On the one hand, I can appreciate having this chapter as a breather after the fairly oppressive feel of Palumpolum, which is just a long string of combat.

On the other hand, they could have put some actual gameplay in here.

Of course, this is FF13, so the gameplay is just a long string of combat. I really get the feeling that this game is driven entirely by the art designers, with some writers doing the backstory, and that was it. Pity, I liked the idea behind the combat system. It's just in such an uninspired game.

I have to agree with this. It's sad that a chapter with basically no actual gameplay or interaction is a nice breather.

Who's the voice actress for Nabaat?

So long Sahz, you were pretty awesome. (No way he's really dead.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually like that bit. Vanille's guilt and despair finally come screaming to the surface. Maybe we can finally approach some development with her.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Who's the voice actress for Nabaat?

Paula Tiso, if imdb is to be believed. She was also the voice of Fuuka in Persona 3, Laughing Octopus in MGS4, and Lulu in FFX.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The scene at the end of the video perfectly encapsulates the horrible development the story of the game had. First you have Sazh and Vanille alone, with him presumably about to shoot her, then he doesn't because he is still in shock over Dajh's crystallization and her role in it. His grief turns into an eidolin, after which you see him happily riding in his new ferrari. Then he points his gun at Vanille AGAIN for some reason, only to fake us out AGAIN and he goes to commit suicide with the fade to black before hearing a gunshot.

Only, the player already knows that the character just got his new transformer and ATB+1. And the game has already previously demonstrated that it isn't ballsy enough to pull any kind of fake-outs to that caliber. There wasn't a single person who believe he killed himself, and yet they try it anyway.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm sad to say that I fell for it the first time I played this game. I was a really naive and gullible teen.

Also I have to say after committing slug genocide in ch5 for about 7 hours to try and max the current roster of accessories.... :downsgun:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Okay, now that was ludodissonance or whatever. Those back-to-back cutscenes at the end make no sense compared to each other :psyduck:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApeHawk posted:

The scene at the end of the video perfectly encapsulates the horrible development the story of the game had. First you have Sazh and Vanille alone, with him presumably about to shoot her, then he doesn't because he is still in shock over Dajh's crystallization and her role in it. His grief turns into an eidolin, after which you see him happily riding in his new ferrari. Then he points his gun at Vanille AGAIN for some reason, only to fake us out AGAIN and he goes to commit suicide with the fade to black before hearing a gunshot.

Only, the player already knows that the character just got his new transformer and ATB+1. And the game has already previously demonstrated that it isn't ballsy enough to pull any kind of fake-outs to that caliber. There wasn't a single person who believe he killed himself, and yet they try it anyway.

Also, it shows how they developed assets, then found places to jamb them once they worked out a story. I mean, why is there Dracula's throne in the middle of... wherever they are? I guess we're just supposed to accept the totally illogical sequence of day/night areas and wildly different graphical and thematic styles for every area because "they're in a theme park!" :downs:

Also, Japan has this weird obsession with collecting "combat data." How many times have the l'Cie escaped and murdered platoons of PSICOM soldiers and generally made them look like a bunch of fuckups? And yet they make no effort to prevent them from escaping because it'll let them collect "data." Never mind that Sazh and Vanille were able to get far enough away to have a long heart-to-heart, then battle a Transformer, then have a second tense moment before the PSICOM caught up.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

"combat data."

Just once, it would be great if some game gibbered on about Combat Data, and then the heroes call them out on the poo poo...

Then the villian breaks out :eng101: and explain in detail their thesis, including the design of experiments and details in their use of thermocouples, accelerometers, high speed cameras, shock stickers and EKG meters to actually quantify "punch/shoot/stab/magic the gently caress out of that jerk"

Bonus if they include control samples, or before and after... or if the whole T-Virus poo poo was just a massive placebo. "Huh? he turned into a what? He just got the sugar pill!"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Just once, it would be great if some game gibbered on about Combat Data, and then the heroes call them out on the poo poo...

Then the villian breaks out :eng101: and explain in detail their thesis, including the design of experiments and details in their use of thermocouples, accelerometers, high speed cameras, shock stickers and EKG meters to actually quantify "punch/shoot/stab/magic the gently caress out of that jerk"

Bonus if they include control samples, or before and after... or if the whole T-Virus poo poo was just a massive placebo. "Huh? he turned into a what? He just got the sugar pill!"

I guess there was that one time in FFX2 where throughout the game you encountered "Watchers" and then there was an optional boss that locked every move you'd ever done in a battle with the watchers. Pointless and shoe-horned into an idiotic math-puzzle dungeon, with no effect on the plot whatsoever, but hey, at least there was a payoff to the combat data.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I'd settle for games taking an approach comparable to Syndrome in The Incredibles. Toss the battle robot at real-life targets so that THEY can find its weaknesses, then improve it to cover those weaknesses so it's deadlier and capable of taking out whatever defeated it. I want to say it HAS happened, but it's pretty rare compared to how often the "battle data" term is bandied about.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I actually like that bit. Vanille's guilt and despair finally come screaming to the surface. Maybe we can finally approach some development with her.

Hahahahaha no.
What is a L'Cie? A Miserable pile of secrets.

Only that line actually fits this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Vanille as the new Hope. Less shanking, more manic/depressive. Are you sure we're playing the good guys?
Speaking of that, did the actual plot of the game emerge yet? So far all I've seen was party incompetence.
edit: Also, Brynnhildr seems to be the most random summon yet - I mean, Ifrit at least namereferenced a fire spirit, but what the hell is that supposed to be? Closest actual reference I can think of is Brunhilde...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 15, 2014

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I love how they never bothered with a crystal sculpture of Dajh. They just took his model, put it inside a crystal and called it a day.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, in all fairness, he always did have that kind of creepy Hummel figurine look to him. That just sort of crystallized it, for lack of a better term.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it was pretty nice of Nabaat to go out of her way to make sure the child fulfilled his focus. Would you rather he be a monster thing, huh Sazh??

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
This is the point where I just sort of gave up on Sazh. In the early game, he was the most entertaining character. Now we see his guilt-ridden, woe-is-me phase, which matches up with the rest of the sad sacks. It's pretty bad when you're in a chapter with only Vanille and you come off looking bad.

Also the pointing the gun at Vanille/himself shtick is pretty terrible considering PSICOM has shot all the characters hundreds of times. Maybe Sazh's hand cannons are a lot more potent?

Sazh should have just pulled this move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0evZywnnx4

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bregor posted:

This is the point where I just sort of gave up on Sazh. In the early game, he was the most entertaining character. Now we see his guilt-ridden, woe-is-me phase, which matches up with the rest of the sad sacks. It's pretty bad when you're in a chapter with only Vanille and you come off looking bad.
His son just died of anime cancer. I'm willing to give him some time to mope. I can't remember if he gets better, though.

And I agree that "Point gun at Vanille -> Boss fight -> point gun at Vanille" was pretty dumb.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
It's kind of understandable that he's sad, what with his loving son dying and all. I mean yeah, it'd be dumb to have him mope for the rest of the game because of this, but that poo poo's still fresh so I think it's fair to cut him some slack here.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Vanille as the new Hope. Less shanking, more manic/depressive. Are you sure we're playing the good guys?
Speaking of that, did the actual plot of the game emerge yet? So far all I've seen was party incompetence.
edit: Also, Brynnhildr seems to be the most random summon yet - I mean, Ifrit at least namereferenced a fire spirit, but what the hell is that supposed to be? Closest actual reference I can think of is Brunhilde...

Brynhildr and Brunhilde are the same name, although Brynhildr is the spelling wikipedia uses.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going more about the possible relations between a firedemoncar and a damsel/valkyrie in distress. Although I guess she did burn herself to death in some versions.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm pretty sure the mythological brynhildr was a firedemoncar, did you not pick up on that part of wagner's opera

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

anilEhilated posted:

If you're questioning if we're the good guys now, just wait until Chapter 9! :v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Sazh's robot actually has a good transformation. Probably they should've had him get it AFTER the suicide scene because we now know Sazh has to live, because the player knows that we'll need to summon all 6 transforming robots at the end since it's absolutely certain they'll combine into one robot in the final boss fight (I mean how could they not)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Sazh's robot actually has a good transformation. Probably they should've had him get it AFTER the suicide scene because we now know Sazh has to live, because the player knows that we'll need to summon all 6 transforming robots at the end since it's absolutely certain they'll combine into one robot in the final boss fight (I mean how could they not)

I've never finished this game, but I'm gonna go with, "There will be no Eidolon combination at any point because that would be the most disappointing thing they could do."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If this game ends with all the Eidolons combining into a giant robot (being accurate to the actual Eidolons and with as little grief as possible), I retract literally every bad comment I've made and recognise FFXIII as a work of art far surpassing the likes of VII, IX or X.

Also seriously, this whole thing could've been done really well. Sazh breaking down after seeing the abomination he calls son crystalize in front of his eyes, and knowing Vanille is the culprit, but deciding not to kill her because that wouldn't solve anything was actually really drat good and definitely better writing than I expect from this game.

And then it fucks up. Eidolon appearing then is fine, as is Vanille getting Sazh to not try suicide-by-Transformer...but then any kind of mood is ruined by Sazh just riding a really loving cool car. And then he apparently forgets EVERYTHING and decides to aim at Vanille despite saying killing her won't do anything, and then aims at HIMSELF, after getting convinced suicide was not a good idea. Because apparently everyone in this game just has really low attention spans for anything not related to suffering.

Jesus christ. Was that last part really loving needed?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I was going to make a post about the scene myself, but I think the post above mine pretty much covers what I was going to say. Would have done it in the video, but I wanted to let the scene stand on its own and I don't think you guys really wanted to hear us laugh for like 30 seconds after the video was over. Point is, this could have been a really good and powerful scene, but pretty much everything from the transformation scene on totally fucks it up. If they had moved the suicide to before the Eidolon (and have it be the thing that caused the Eidolon to appear in the first place), then have him and Vanille surrender after the fight, that would have been a way better way of getting across...whatever the hell they were going for here.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
Is it just me or does anyone think the designers of this game liked the movies Xanadu or Tron a little too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Basically all we have at this point is the reveal that Vanille is from Pulse, which is on the level of "Seymour Guado is a villain in Final Fantasy X" in terms of poo poo-you-should-already-know. Normally, while JRPG plots may be long and drawn out, they're filled with smaller sub-plots that maintain player interest while the main one develops. In FFXIII, every location has just been another corridor for this week's PSICOM recolors to chase us down.

The problem with Square is that while they're willing to throw millions of dollars down the storygaming hole, they're also willing to drive out any halfway decent writers with poo poo like "we're taking all your development resources so we can waste them on Final Fantasy VIII" or "you can't have a protagonist over 30 in a JRPG". The only talented people left are the ones who make the FMVs, and those have been obsolete for over a decade now.

So far we've got a very expensive tech demo with repetitive gameplay, a story that hasn't gone anywhere, and characters that are wildly inconsistent over scenes that are seconds apart.

I will admit that despite being unnecessary from a plot and gameplay perspective, the robot persona cars are pretty :krad: though.

• Locked thread