Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
What's the character limit for summoner name? I want to make a swain only account and I don't know if "ello I'm Michael Swain" or "Fountains of Swain - Stacy's Mom" or "Swain as it Ever Was" will fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

What's the character limit for summoner name? I want to make a swain only account and I don't know if "ello I'm Michael Swain" or "Fountains of Swain - Stacy's Mom" or "Swain as it Ever Was" will fit.

it's your loss if you don't want to go by "Boatswain" with the Bilgewater skin.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
You have been Swain

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Count Bleck posted:

I just got into a ranked game as second pick, we're on purple side so our captain is also picking with me.

I pick Gnar, he picks Yi. Jungle Teleport/Smite Yi.

They duo lane bot legends flip the gently caress out about the Gnar pick. :wtc:

He came out like two days ago. I'd be irritated at you too.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Teleport/Smite Yi is a pretty established thing. Gnar's a really new champion who no one should be playing in ranked.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RC Cola posted:

He came out like two days ago. I'd be irritated at you too.

I wouldn't.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Dirty_Moses posted:

Is Kennen still a decent pick top? I do fine with him but I'm also playing against pretty bad people because I am also pretty bad.

I suppose you could always take him mid.

I always seem to forget him as a toplaner but to be honest I have no idea. I haven't seen him top in forever. He's still pretty mobile and a jerk but honestly I can't remember if the last nerfs he got a bunch of months ago put him out.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Count Bleck posted:

I just got into a ranked game as second pick, we're on purple side so our captain is also picking with me.

I pick Gnar, he picks Yi. Jungle Teleport/Smite Yi.

They duo lane bot legends flip the gently caress out about the Gnar pick. :wtc:

So how did it go?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Darth Windu posted:

So how did it go?

Let's just say that the Trick2G Wannabe Udyr claimed I was overpowered after he went for a bout of fisticuffs later in the game.

Or you could scroll up. :)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Playing Graves against a team that built a grand total of two armor items (Frozen Fist and Ninja Tabi) is a thing of beauty.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Servaetes posted:

I always seem to forget him as a toplaner but to be honest I have no idea. I haven't seen him top in forever. He's still pretty mobile and a jerk but honestly I can't remember if the last nerfs he got a bunch of months ago put him out.

He's playable and safe but he has very little kill threat. Everything he has is based on ramping up to get CC for your killing blow but unlike characters with similar mechanics (Braum, Skarner, Vi) he's not really bulky enough to survive the sort of extended trade he would need to be in to leverage a stun for a kill.

I haven't played him since like S2 so I could be very wrong, just the impression I have.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

a medical mystery posted:

He's playable and safe but he has very little kill threat. Everything he has is based on ramping up to get CC for your killing blow but unlike characters with similar mechanics (Braum, Skarner, Vi) he's not really bulky enough to survive the sort of extended trade he would need to be in to leverage a stun for a kill.

I haven't played him since like S2 so I could be very wrong, just the impression I have.

He's a very effective lane bully against melee but struggles against ranged unless he can land shurikens. He has a lot of kill potential against the classic top melee champs like Darius or Renekton.

Count Bleck posted:

Let's just say that the Trick2G Wannabe Udyr claimed I was overpowered after he went for a bout of fisticuffs later in the game.

Or you could scroll up. :)

No need to be a prick about it, I was just asking.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Darth Windu posted:

No need to be a prick about it, I was just asking.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a prick about it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Every match Kennen is not picked is a good match.

Brannock posted:

I don't understand why people don't run Graves mid. He has a low cooldown nuke, benefits very well from blue, has a ranged slow/blind and a dash to get out of ganks or to jump walls, and his Q/R combo deletes heroes. On top of that, he benefits even better than Talon/Zed do from the new AD itemization. His slightly low range isn't as much of a liability in mid where you're frequently up against melee or lower-range mages, and he's naturally bulky helping with trades and taking harass.

And if having one champion that can shred towers and objectives is good, then what about having... two?!

He just seems like a much safer AD pick to go mid if you have an AP top or something -- safer than Talon or Zed or something. He has really impressive AOE damage as well.

AD Tristana mid was a thing in LCS, don't know why nobody aped it on SoloQ yet.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The only Tristana mids I see in solo are AP.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The thing about double AD comps is that you're generally putting the burden of AP damage on Top and/or Jungle, which usually don't have as good options (barring like, maybe Gragas top), which means your primary damage is all very easily countered (Frozen Heart, Randuins, Thornmail, etc etc). It can be very effective in some ways and horrendously backfire in others.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Monathin posted:

The thing about double AD comps is that you're generally putting the burden of AP damage on Top and/or Jungle, which usually don't have as good options (barring like, maybe Gragas top), which means your primary damage is all very easily countered (Frozen Heart, Randuins, Thornmail, etc etc). It can be very effective in some ways and horrendously backfire in others.

I mean you could always play Zac.

Zac's the best. Play Zac.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Count Bleck posted:

I mean you could always play Zac.

Zac's the best. Play Zac.

I love Zac but he hits like a wet noodle and is way more suited for tanky disruptive shithead action.

Though I haven't heard- did Golem help him a bit? I know he was in a bad place forever.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mundo/Kennen is the like saddest matchup top I've ever played top, and that's as someone who's played more Mundo than any other toplaner. Neither of you can do anything to each other whatsoever.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Monathin posted:

I love Zac but he hits like a wet noodle and is way more suited for tanky disruptive shithead action.

Though I haven't heard- did Golem help him a bit? I know he was in a bad place forever.

He actually saw a loss in winrate after the Golem changes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Power of Pecota posted:

Mundo/Kennen is the like saddest matchup top I've ever played top, and that's as someone who's played more Mundo than any other toplaner. Neither of you can do anything to each other whatsoever.

Just ignore each other and farm.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Power of Pecota posted:

I think my favorite top lane matchups are the matches where it's literally impossible for either champion to kill the other, just for the hilarity. Most of the time you're just farming but occasionally somebody will hit the other person and trade, which will be erased in a few seconds. You'll just basically stand there, shrug, and cordially farm until the jungler ganks or team fights start to break out. I've had a lot of Nasus matches like that. Well, those often end with "oh by the way" *WHACK* "I have 300 stacks" *BASH* "and can kill the ever loving gently caress out of you now."

But yeah, two walls of meat bouncing off of each other will never stop amusing me.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
All good tops are ap now. Hell, heck of a world we live in.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I pretty much always play Wukong when I end up top lane so I have no concept of a match up where I can safely ignore the other dude. It sounds nice.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Unfinish3d posted:

I pretty much always play Wukong when I end up top lane so I have no concept of a match up where I can safely ignore the other dude. It sounds nice.

Wukong is kind of a weird case because most, if not all, of his in-lane matchups are bad but you don't pick him to win the lane you pick him because he's a loving monster in team fights, even if he gets behind.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Monathin posted:

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=al+kappacino

I always see this guy playing Zac top in Challenger games and doing well. A 66% win-rate is pretty drat impressive.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Colonel Squish posted:

I always see this guy playing Zac top in Challenger games and doing well. A 66% win-rate is pretty drat impressive.

Every champion is impressive when played by a Challenger-level person who mains them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Colonel Squish posted:

His name is phenomenal, at the very least :allears:

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Count Bleck posted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a prick about it.

lol you weren't, I dunno why he's so touchy

So I guess support Alistar is back in the big leagues? He definitely makes a great bodyguard support, it's just a shame when you're matched with an ADC player who just wants to farm and is content with being poked down instead of engaging.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Alright support Karma across a Leona!

I poke dutifully and warn my adc about the level 2 all in, 10 seconds before it happens
He ignores me, he dies. Welp.

We fight back the lane and get a kill, leaving Varus farming alone for the better part of 20 seconds with 1/2 hp. I ping him b. 25 seconds. I ping him b. 30 seconds. b b b b.
Leona tags him, he dies.

"Please stop ignoring my advice!"
"Ur not fkn diamond"
:psyduck:

This game.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Libertine posted:

Every champion is impressive when played by a Challenger-level person who mains them.

I just link profiles for the sake of exhibiting what one of the best players of a champion on NA is doing in terms of runes/masteries/items or whatever in case anyone who plays Zac is interested.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Will someone tell me how to Shaco? I have runes/masteries copied from guides but I can't seem to get his jungle to flow. Invades always go terribly and if their jungler is anything tankier than, say, Warwick I just get dumpstered. A guide on how to actually do stuff with him would be neat. I do have the first clear down.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
On Gnar chat, I'm watching Nightblue try and make Jungle Gnar work, but he's just so useless. Sure, he's got CC, but the transforms are loving him over nearly every time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

Will someone tell me how to Shaco? I have runes/masteries copied from guides but I can't seem to get his jungle to flow. Invades always go terribly and if their jungler is anything tankier than, say, Warwick I just get dumpstered. A guide on how to actually do stuff with him would be neat. I do have the first clear down.

How to play Shaco:

poo poo boxes all over a buff, doesn't matter which one. Kill that buff. Go kill the other buff. Kill some other camp to hit 3.

Gank
Then you gank again
Gank some other lane
OK, now that you're done ganking, go gank some more.
Are your buffs back up? If not, go gank.

Basically, ganks go like Q past any wards, drop a box behind somebody, chuck a knife at them, and stab them a lot.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sharzak posted:

Invading as Shaco isn't a matter of actually fighting, it's a matter of pounding jungle timings into your body through rigorous jungle games until you can instinctively tell when you need to back and get ready to take the next buffs. Your goal is to get in, take the buff, and get out. At level 1 you can save Smite and with the tiniest of leashes your boxes will absolutely destroy whatever buff you start at and you can run at the enemy team's buff if they are a slow clearer.

When ganking invisibly, run to where they would escape, drop a box in one of their escape routes and run at them with shiv + ignite in another one of their escape routes to try to corral them into the jack in the box. Apply red buff and hopefully you get a kill, or a summoner. If you get a summoner you can try a u-turn gank since invisibility is hard to deal with but people don't always fall for that. Never deceive from the bushes in mid lane because people can see that if they're astute and respond in turn.

Use ult for jukes, dragons, and towers. You can try to use it in fights but it's not very easy to do since it doesn't have your mobility and doesn't really do all that much in fights so thinking "shaco + ult vs 2 enemies = 2v2" is a very good way to get yourself killed a lot. Unless you're fed, or they are squishy, you can't manfight a lot of people. Instead, play mindgames with them. Whittle them down and keep disappearing, wait until they are weak enough that they stand no chance. If you want to play the clown you have to think like the clown.

Aside from that, it's really just all about game sense. You need to know where their jungler is, so you don't end up there, because you are worse than their jungler in a straight up fight. Wherever their jungler isn't is a target, find the most troubling target for the enemy team to lose, be it champions, monsters, or towers, and do everything in your power to take it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I really like the no-tolerance policy that Lyte is starting to take with really toxic players. The experiment they did with 14-day bans for people using homophobic/racial/sexist slurs turned out to be really successful, and it's really admirable that a company known for having one of the worst online communities is taking steps to punish that behavior

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Shaco is kind of bad right now. He got nerfed a lot and the prevalence of level 1 wards really fucks with his best strengths, which are the level 2 cheese gank, and invading and playing chase the loving clown. He's one of those champions, like Evelynn, where you need to get a few kills early or your team is just hosed and you're basically worthless. Except Evelynn is a bit better at being useful even if she doesn't snowball.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Shaco can be very good but he requires a very particular, tactical mindset to pull off, which is why you see savants maining him almost to the exclusion of any other champion but to everyone else he might as well not exist. He does just fine up to about Diamond where players have cooler heels and are harder to exasperate with the clown.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Flameingblack posted:

I really like the no-tolerance policy that Lyte is starting to take with really toxic players. The experiment they did with 14-day bans for people using homophobic/racial/sexist slurs turned out to be really successful, and it's really admirable that a company known for having one of the worst online communities is taking steps to punish that behavior

On the one hand I'm glad they're taking a more proactive stance on banning assholes, but Lyte's obnoxious fanclub that follows him around masturbating to his "smites" really shouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Diamond where players have cooler heels and are harder to exasperate with the clown.

I've got some bad news.

• Locked thread