Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Name a moment that made you feel Right, and name a moment that made you feel Wrong.

Are you even listening to me? I mean, I'm not upset. Just, I'd like to be acknowledged, and it sounds like you have no idea what I do. I do Right all the time. How am I supposed to narrow it down? Ugh, this is impossible.

Okay. So. No, no, let's start that over. Uh...

I mean, I told you about Moonie, Walker... I know I told you about Liv. Okay, here's one: waking up every morning to serve breakfast to all my friends. No, already told you that too. Umm...

I tutor people in American Sign Language so they can help the hearing-impaired.

Oh, I guess I should clarify. I'm not against gay people per se, just... I mean, it's legal now, so there's no reason to, but... I think you twisted my arm a little? I'm pretty predisposed against certain things, and those two just happened to perform those certain things, so... I mean... I like gay people. Boys and girls, as long as they find love, it's cool. Just... y'know?

Of course not. Anyway, the wrong. That's tough... I guess I don't try to change Blue Moonie's drinking? He's so helpful to me, so selfless, but in order to do that, he has to get drunk... I don't mind it, I guess. But I'm not really doing it so much as not doing it, so... Phew, this is tough. What have I ever done wrong? Like, you mean on purpose? Because...

One time, I wanted to see, just to know the rules of the night, what would happen if I broke one of the engraved windows, and what's behind the glass. So, I tapped the glass with a rock until it cracked, then just delicately knocked the pieces out to see underneath. I have to do this really quietly, y'know, because nobody's trying to find me. So I open up this window with Mary Peters on it (doing stuff), and inside was... a light. Just a light bulb, filling up the whole room with light. And I mean it's just a light, right? So I step in, and it's like I'm intruding on something. There's only a little sin in the bulb, but sin is sin. I don't see any sort of switch, so I just unscrew the bulb.

Now, you'd think the bulb being on for so long would make it really hot, but it wasn't. It was just cold and glassy like it had never been turned on. So after I start turning it, it goes out and the room goes black. And I figure I shouldn't litter any more than I have to, so I put the bulb in my sweatshirt's pocket, step outside really carefully and go along my way.

The next morning, Mary corners me and slaps me across the face. 'F off and die,' she tells me. I mean, what?! Did I slight her by stealing the light? I put it back the next night, but she just wouldn't change. Did I do something wrong? Everyone thinks I did something to Mary, but I know I didn't... directly, I mean. She just started doing that for no reason.

I'll never understand that sinful world, or what it does to people. I just know it needs to go away.

Next question, please?

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

quote:

Lily We've talked about why we are here, and experiences from our past. But, let's talk about now, what do you do for fun? Have you joined, or considered joining any clubs at school?

I was part of the GSA back at my old school. My family life kind of means that I have to deal with homophobic shitheads regardless of whether I'm the G or the S, and I don't know, there were some cool people involved there. I've been a little hesitant to join the one here in Madison, though. Like, I went to a meeting, and it's basically just three straight kids who are really desperate to seem progressive. They also seemed waaaay to eager to turn me into some kind of mascot. Because, like, I've got weird hair and poo poo so obviously I'm a lesbian and urgh I kind of went to the bathroom 15 minutes into that and never came back.

As for fun? Music, parties, dancing, hanging out with people who aren't assholes. It is amazing how little of all of those things you can find in this town. The local library is poo poo, too. If I have to read another bullshit 1980s science fiction paperback, I swear to god I'm going to light it on fire.

... okay, maybe poor choice of words, considering my recent mistakes.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Gazetteer posted:

Walt:

You know, I'm sick about talking about my fuckups. No one's perfect; you can't go snooping around as much as you say you do without getting caught somtimes. What's the worst poo poo you've gotten into after someone noticed you eavesdropping on their conversation?

Uuuurgh. Why can I be asked something that isn't uncomfortable to answer. Like 'Do you have any hobbies' or 'what is your favorite colour' or 'Are you a cat person or a dog person'. Also to answer those questions, I like to cook and read, my favorite colour is yellow, and I have no real preference, I like them both.

But one time, I was following a club, called The Knights Who Say NEET. A very suspicious lot, they used to take their meetings out in the wood, and you could only get in if you were invited, and it was very, hush hush for all involved. So, being me, looking for anything suspicious for personal reasons, I think 'maybe this is some cult?'. So, I follow them out into the woods, and they all go into some, ramshackle abandoned building, so at this point, it's triggering some alarm bells for me, so I made a plan. One thing I used to do a lot as a child, was climb trees, so, I go to their meeting spot before they do, climb up, and planned observe them from my spot, to see what their deal was.

You are a sharp lady, you could probably see where this is going.

Half way through their mumbling, the branch I am on gives way. I fall through several branches, and the roof and right into their meeting. As it turns out, it was just a glorfied gathering of nerds, with a lot of pomp and circumstance, and I escaped without nothing more serious then some gashes. But, it wasn't exactly appreciated that I was spying on them, and that I just made a hole in their roof. So, I end up being kept in their hut for a bit, thankfully one of them knew first aid, and conscripted to fix their roof. I learnt a lot about the anime, and video gamey stuff, and I learnt a lot about fixing roofs, but nothing about what I was looking for, and nothing out of the ordinary in general, unless you count super niche hobbies as weird. So all that happened was I embarrassed myself in front of strangers, and ended up getting press ganged as an unofficial club member, in one of the least popular clubs in the school. Not one for your school reputation, but what do you do.

Their 'leader' Dennis Phelps never let me forget that little incident, and sometimes he drafts me into doing some menial labor for his club, or asking me to find out about certain people. I don't begrudge him, the other members were quite hospitable after I got to know them, and, I suppose he just makes a big effort to seem, mysterious and important for personal reasons. So I humor him, it doesn't hurt to keep someone who is actually quite smart on hand at times, and it doesn't hurt me to just be nice to him.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 15, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Samantha: Have you ever encountered a monster hunter? What was that like? What did your pack do to them?

Yeah, and I can say without a doubt it was one of the worst experiences to ever happen to me. I'm still not sure how the hell people like them even hear about places like Madison. Probably nerds and schizos who started watching Supernatural and thought, "Man, I sure wish that was my life!" Idiots don't have anything better to do than run around the internet looking up haunted houses and towns that are slightly mysterious ooohhh. God, it's making my leg hurt just thinking about it.

Anyways, lemme start from the beginning. I think was, uh, eight at the time? Yeah, that was it, cause mom had gotten this new math book from the library and had me practicing division when it all started. This guy had rolled into town the other day, telling everyone who glanced at him funny that he was a photographer, "just getting shots of the beautiful woodlands around Madison." Everyone thought the man was a freak, but he wasn't bothering anybody, so nobody really cared.

At least, nobody outside the pack did I think. Back then I wasn't all that aware of pack business, but even I could see something was odd by the way dad and grandpa acted. The elder members were spooked. made sure someone always had an eye on him. It was easy enough to pass off as normal behavior. When a stranger wanders into town, it's not all that odd for some people to ask questions about him. Make sure he isn't a serial killer or something.

Well that was all well and good for a while. The man behaved with everyone in town keeping tabs on him. The problem started when it was time for the pack's full moon get-together. Maybe the guy had gotten lucky, maybe he had been surveying the landscape and found our meet-up spot, I don't know. End result was the same either way. We had our eyes off him and we paid for it. The pack had come into a clearing about a mile out, and he was hiding in the trees at the edge. Dumb fucker waited til we had all changed, then started shooting at us. It was night, and the guy wasn't a good shot, but he still managed to hit me in the leg. It was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life and I let the world know it. Fucker had probably used silver, but I haven't been shot after that, so I don't really know if there's a difference between that and a normal bullet.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Name a moment that made you feel like a Monster, and name a moment that made you feel Human.

Remember what I said about how we try to avoid attacking people whenever we can? Sometimes you can't really avoid it. And that rear end in a top hat had just signed his death warrant, cause there's a few thing you don't do in life. As the Great Jim Croce said, you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with a werewolf pack. They tore him apart. A tree and one gun aren't much of a defense against almost twenty pissed off werewolves, especially after you've just hurt one of their cubs. The entire time that guy was being turned into a snack though, I was down for the count. Seems blood loss and delirium kinda override the full moon's effect on the mind. I honestly thought I was gonna die out there in the woods, with the only people close enough to help me too moon-addled to know what to do. Obviously I didn't. Getting shot in the leg can mess you up, but it ain't gonna kill you unless it hits the right spot. In fact I still got a scar where the bullet went in. But yeah, it was humbling as hell. Ain't nothing in the world gonna make you feel more human than dying and trying to find some way out of it.

I'd passed out at some point. Probably howled myself unconscious. Woke up back in the town hospital. Mom, dad, and a couple of my cousins were there. After the crying stopped, they told me that if anyone asked, I'm supposed to tell a story about how the photographer man shot me accidentally then ran out into the woods. People aren't really gonna grill a little kid who's just been shot. The adults aren't anyways. I had to walk around with a crutch for a while afterwards, and drat if every kid in town didn't want to know the story behind it.

Like I said before, I was too young to really get pack politics, but the story I told was flimsy as hell. Wasn't meant to be good, but it was meant to get back to the ears of the parents and adults of the community. It was a traumatic event to me, and they'd used it as a loving tool. I wouldn't say I realized it quickly. Took a couple years til I could think about the whole sequence without being sick. In the end though it was a hell of a feeling. Dying had made me feel weak... human. But living now gave me the opposite feeling. I was not human. I was better than human. I was also subject to the crazies out there who were jealous of me for being stronger than them. I could rip them all to pieces, but I had to live a lie because the psychos outnumbered us a million to one. I'm a monster, and the world hated me for it.

Anyways, Story Time with Sam is over. Now it's your turn, Butch. I'd never heard of a were-ogre til you showed up, so I got a few questions. Let's start off with an easy one. Us wolves run in packs, but what about you? You ogres stick together in some kinda group, grumble about billy goats with the cousins, any of that poo poo?

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 15, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

GodFish posted:

Will you teach me to play pool later on if we get a chance? It sounds awesome!

Sure! Seems like it would be your style. Real retro.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Name a moment that made you feel Right, and name a moment that made you feel Wrong.

Right? Long weekends with my beau. Forgetting who and what I am, what I'm worrying about, what the future will hold. The crash is always so bad, so terrible, but it's not like worrying makes it easier when it happens, so when I can feel right I want to keep it there.

The weird thing is, the drowning doesn't feel wrong. It never did. It was terrifying, painful, heartbreaking, but never wrong.
It took me a surprisingly long time after my death to realize there were monsters. I guess I just didn't reflect enough, or maybe I thought I was unique, but there was a time, early on when my head was clearing and I started wandering out from the forest, that I came across another ghost. Now that was wrong. He had his head twisted around backwards, dressed in chains, and his form was sort of... untethered, so he'd jump around sort of, jerkily, like nothing real. He killed a lot of people before I found him, tearing them apart, and when he saw me he was real angry, and we had a tussle of sorts before I got him down into a well, we're the chains dragged him down.
That doesn't always happen with other ghosts, the wrongness, but when they're sort of these screamer types, real scattered and single minded and violent, you can get that feel.
Like I've had animals, dogs and cats, lay all over me and be fine, and I've had them hiss or bark or whine, and when they're crying like that... it's when I wouldn't want to be around me either. Lot of variability.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

TurninTrix posted:

To be honest, Evie-san, I'm surprised that brutality comes very easily for you. I've had to struggle with rivalries and appease my parents my whole life and I still question if what I do is right. But anyone that comes up against you and your business, you simply destroy without hesitation. It gives results, I'm sure. But don't you feel any empathy at all towards the people you step over?

In a word? No. No, I loving don't. I'm not looking for other people to get in my way. I'm not some bully who's gotta find people to destroy, people just happen to think that what I'm doin' is wrong, and get in my way. Do people wonder if freight trains have empathy for any living thing they hit? No, of course not. Look, there's been a few that have been caught in the crossfire, and yeah, I guess I feel bad for them, but I try to make it up to them. They didn't do nothing wrong to me, so I don't have a problem giving them some help. Hell, even if it ain't usually in my wheelhouse. I'm not the goddamn she-bitch monster from hell, I got some principles. But you get in my way? You get what you got coming. Real simple like that. If you know what you want, doing things to get there is easy.

If you think I'm all bitch, all the time, well, you'd probably not like me anyways. You think selling drugs is all about sleaziness, because you've seen too many movies. But they've got one thing right, it is about respect. If there's respect, you'll see I'm just a girl trying to have fun and make my way in the world. And I don't just mean from you. Like, there's plenty of little bitches who respect me, fear me, whatever. But there's a handful who do their own thing, and as long as it ain't crossing what I made, that's something worth respecting. Like what you got, that's cool. Not my thing, but hey, I'm also the one and only child my parents put on this world, I guess I don't gotta worry about it.

Look, Hiroko, we both know neither of us are saints. I know you say you feel bad about some of the things you've done, but there had to be some time where you just felt good tearing into someone or something, right?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

For everyone who might consider their characters to be human or normal:

You wanna know what makes me feel wrong? Yeah, I don't have a problem hurting people in whatever ways, but collateral damage ain't my thing. This poor couple here in town, townies named Donna Reid and Jimmy Dragovski. They were just havin' a good time, doin' their own thing. Unfortunately for them, they were doin' it when I was makin' an example out of this punk named Brass. He thought that since we're meeting right off the Makeout Creek, that he could cop a feel, and I don't play like that. These two lovebirds saw what we were doin', and before I thought about it, I said we can't just let 'em go. Dunno if it was the adrenalin or whatever, but we broke Donna's pretty nose and Jimmy's shins before I thought 'bout what they actually did. You wanna know where the line is? Right before beatin' up some lovers who happen to be in the wrong place.

But feeling right, well, that's harder nowadays, ain't it? Last time I felt like that, me and my gang were celebrating something worth celebrating. No one got hurt, no one had to fight. We got a bunch of pills off some bitch who needed the cash to pay for some debts with some real players out of town, and we were glad to help. Everyone stepped in the right direction, so I opened a bottle of one of the nicest vodkas I got, and we drank. We didn't get shitfaced, we just enjoyed what we had. Like, these guys know I can be a bitch at times, but when it's just us in a little corner of the dorms just with our own? I can let my hair down, and we can just talk. Talk about real stuff, not just some how's the weather nice to see you bullshit. Just happy to be alive and where we were at. I mean, let's not get me wrong, I like what I got and I know what I gotta do to get there, but it ain't worth it if you can't have fun every once in a while.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

You know, I'm kinda sick of talking about the old me at this point, so I'm gonna try to avoid that here. So you get a story from when I was in the hospital.

So there was this nurse, real piece of poo poo. Always talking poo poo about me to the other nurses, calling me 'he', you know, that kind of horseshit. So one day when I'm walking to the bathroom, I see her leave her locker open, the loving idiot, so I went in and swiped her ID card. Used that to get into the drug storage room. (Wearing gloves, of course. Those things are loving everywhere in a hospital.) I grabbed a bunch of bottles of morphine, then knocked over one of the shelves on my way out, to make sure they'd notice. Once I'd stashed the stuff in her locker, I used her cell phone to call in a bomb threat on the hospital for good measure.

When I saw that rear end in a top hat being taken out in handcuffs? Yeah, that felt right.

As for a time when I felt wrong? Ah hell, this one kinda sucks. I guess it would have to be just after I woke up, when my mom first came to see me. Fuuuuuuck this is embarrassing. So there's my mom, all crying and hugging me – which is super uncomfortable with an IV in your arm, by the way – and I'm sitting here wondering where all this was before. But believe me, nothing tells you that you done hosed up better than someone crying all over you like that. It's like, come on, I'm not worth worrying that much over, I can handle myself. At least, I can now, anyway.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Lem: What do you think of the Church of Salt and Light? They claim to be crusading against sin, too, after all.

What would you say if I said... I can see where they're coming from? No, let me talk. See, I frown upon sin. They frown upon sin. So we have that in common, right? It's more that I don't try and stop sinners. I think the solution really lies in the world of sin. Which brings me to my next point.

They have a church, like most religions do. It used to be a gym, so it's still contemporary-looking on the outside. But on the inside it's littered with propaganda. Oh, I went to one of their meetings once, but I didn't like it all that much and they couldn't keep my attention. They started telling me about providence and I'm more of an in-the-moment guy. Anyway, they scrutinize me for sinning, with no frame of reference whatsoever. I tell them I don't do drugs, I don't litter, I don't do anything illegal, and most importantly I'm still a virgin, but they're all 'Noooo, you're going to Hell to pay for turning this down!' So I forgot about them.

And then I got curious about their building, so at night I scoped it out. BOOM, giant light shining on it from this thing high in the... sky? I mean, I can't see the sky, but I don't see where it's attached on the ground either. So it's there, shining down this crazy beam of light on this dumb gym. But if what I think about the lights is right, that light's something dangerous. It's... not sin, but... control? Sentience! It's... awareness, of what they're doing. So, that big light means... people know they're wrong. Lots of people, and they turn their hate on the Church, and the Church turns that hate into sin and throws it back at them, and they see it as hate and hate them back and soon the light beam's going to be too bright to handle. It's going to start a fire, and that Church is at the center of it all.

Is that what I'm supposed to do? Put out the light, and then put out the light? I need to get rid of that church. Otherwise it's going to take the whole town with it.

I think. Gah, what do I know? For all I know, it's nobody's business. Just a light in the sky. Nobody knows why it's there at all, but I'd like to, and soon.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Bonus Round 2:

You know that is a hard question, and I mean I look back in my life and think what is right? I mean there are many times that I knew I was doing right things, but I am not sure that felt totally right you know? I mean there are a lot of things that my dad and I use to do, like on thanksgiving we helped out at the local soup kitchen and helped cook and give out soup. I mean all of these things are right in a classical way, like what you hear the Christians do.

It seemed like it wasn't right, just a thing to do to be a good neighbor, like entry level being a decent human being you know what I mean? Just like every Chanukkah we go on the 25th and give all the neighbors cakes, I mean it only seems natural and part of being in the community not that they would know zot chanukkah, but I appreciate their "festive" gifts. I mean sure I have throw away the little jesus slips or whatever they always stuff in them, but I mean, their heart is in the right place.

All that doesn't really feel like anything but what you should do, you know? You know? What feels right is what happened when my friend Zoe when she had issues with her dad. Lets just say he was getting abusive and well, her mom couldn't really handle it lets say, so she ran away. So I let her crash in my room, and I let her hide in there from her dad and his poo poo. At first I didn't let my parents know at all.

It was a great week, like I mean sure we always got tangled up in the bed in the morning and I had a few bruises from her kicking me in the night, but all in all it was the best time I've had. Thankfully, my mom and dad were busy with other stuff, I don't remember right, but at the time I didn't care. I would just take my food up to my room and share it with her and we would bullshit or play games in my room.

That felt right, and you know truly a right thing. A shelter in the storm for my best friend when everyone would have said no. After her dad left the family, and Marty came back from college, she went back, and we mostly switch back and forth, but you never can get closer than that. I imagine being like that sometimes, to walk the streets alone with no one that would let me come in, and you know, that is something that crushes me. I can't imagine not having friends or family, to wander rejected by everyone, but Zoe almost had that. Without me at least.

As for feeling wrong, I have to admit something, I am someone who likes to win. I really push myself hard and expect the same from everyone else. I mean I understand that there are team games and games were a individual can shine, and I am cool with that. Sometimes though, I get kinda hyper competitive and it is hard to stop myself, you know what I mean?

I remember one time I was in some bullshit class that they had me take, something like economics or something. Either way, we had to start our own business and "run it" and this was pretty easy and for most it wasn't a big issue. You know me, I had to make it competitive and gently caress everything up.

As the class went on we started getting into the stock market and how it worked, and well so our like fake businesses got stocks and performed kinda randomly, but based on how well we did on quizzes and the like. So then like we started ding corporate buyouts and the like and this girl called, Emily Karminrot quiet girl always pretty smart and did well but you know always keeps to herself.

So we start doing these buy outs and I take down a few of the peoples businesses and a few others. It helps I was acing quizzes left and right so my business was rocking. So then the only real competition was Emily's that was left. There was only like a few weeks left in the class and I shouldn't have given a poo poo, but she was like gaining on me, you know?

Basically, I did a leveraged buyout on her company after merging with the two other biggest players and basically tore apart her company from the bottom up and sold off all the pieces. I didn't think anything of it, cause you know it was a game and a class thing. But she legitimately broke down crying, apparently she had been making business reports and turning them in and had a nice corporate logo and even like business plans.

So, I kinda ragged on her, and I am not proud of it. She started bursting into tears and ran out of class and hid in the bathroom. I had to go after all, I was starting to feel bad now. So I chased after her, and I managed to find her on the toilet just sobbing. I was confused to be honest, I mean it wasn't that harsh, but like then she like gave me the low down. Apparently she wanted to be my friend and more and thought I was cool and basically, I crushed her dreams and like, everything.

I never felt so wrong until that moment, but then I made it worse. She gave me a hug and suddenly just kissed me. Like really kissed me, and I was just taken aback, and tried to push her off. That was like the worst thing to do and she ran out of school. I mean she was cute and stuff, I... just didn't know what to feel. I should have said something then, or like done something, but I am terrible at that stuff.

She hates me now, or at least has too. No one should have a crush on me, I just gently caress stuff up and am really a bad person. I hosed up just like I did to my dad, always gotta have what I want no matter what it does to everyone else. Sometimes I just wish I was better at that stuff, but I don't know. I don't want to talk about it anymore, I'm going to get all stupid and teary.

quote:

Sarah: Did your father's vault give you any evidence of other monsters? Aside from the Thing at the refinery? What are you going to do about them?

Oh man so many I don't know what to do with them. Some of them have like instructions even and my dad marked off some stuff if he had seen them or not. I haven't found like an instruction manual but I have found what I guess would be like a monster manual or some sorts in there. They have all these various tools. Like there is a crossbow that shoots wood for vampires, aim for the heart don't miss, is its note.

There is like this sword said to be coated with the venom of a basilisk that was made for taking down dragons. It is really crazy stuff in here, and some of it I never heard of even from like a show like supernatural. There are artifacts said to capture and bind spirits to places, or objects. A lot is about like feeding spirits, apparently in India there is a lot of them. I think the weirdest though is for something that is like a giant spider said to like have psychic powers.

Slowly trying to drive people down into its lair with dreams of promises and happiness. Apparently there was an outbreak about 50 years ago in a town in Maine somewhere. That one was just strange as all get out. There are also a lot of demonic creatures and even a few old Jewish ones, there is a lot written about that. I think my grandpa did this type of work too, but I don't know. I never knew him, he died when I was like a baby.

What to do about them? Hmmm, I am not sure. A few of them mention them being killed by people I never heard of. A few saints and stuff like that, like Saint George slayed a great Wyrm that was supposed to be the lord of all dragons and wyrms. I think that forced them into hiding or at least did something to them. The book talks about a large decline. Other things are more like people where they like get corrupted and slowly turn into these monstrous things in a people skin.

I want to help stop them of course, but it is massive and daunting. I mean werewolves and vampires, and all these other things are real and out there. My dad was the one that was supposed to do something about it. Do I have to be just like him, I mean, I kinda always did growing up, but I don't know how I am going to do this all alone. I'm just one person against a horde of things that can kill me and beat me without a second thought.

On the other hand, if I don't do it, who will. I hosed up. My dad is dead before he could pass this on to someone like worthy who wasn't a selfish gently caress up. He like had to do this all in secret, working behind the scenes late hours and never able to tell anyone. I don't know if my mom knows but I don't see how. If I do this will I be like on the show, with all my friends and people I love gone. I mean will Zoe be killed cause of me too?

I gotta focus on this and try to do it though, I mean maybe for this thing now, but I gotta make sure people are safe. I mean the book has some good creatures too, so they can't all be bad right? I mean maybe there is a way like turn some of them to not be horrible and ruin lives? It is like 2014 already, I mean like why do you have to be a monster that eats people when you can just go to the store and get some food or something.

Maybe, it wouldn't work for everyone, but I mean you don't have to hurt people. Vampires, you can go to like a blood bank and pay for it! Werewolves you can like go to a national park and chase down deer. I mean, I just don't get why they have to be horrible when being okay to people is so much easier. If that doesn't work then I have to stop them and put them down. I don't want them killing people. I don't want to be the cause of someone else dad or mom or whatever to die because of me.

I already kinda ruined enough people lives already by taking the way the person with all the answers.

GoatLord posted:

Sarah:
Sounds like fun. But what kind of concerts do you get out there in the woods, anyway? Doesn't seem like the kind of place any real bands would bother to stop. No offense.

Concerts, well the cool thing is that in the area there is only one big place for concerts and it is kinda like you know the only place that they can go. So like everyone goes to the big concert place outside of town for like most of the area. The Ravine Cause it is like built into a natural ravine that gives it really good sound. Now most of the time it isn't allowed for people under 18, but like when has that stopped anyone, amirite?

So we get a bit of the big names that come around, though lately mostly like small groups have been going through. I really kinda only care about the ones that are girl bands. I mean like Banks, Tacocat, Angel Olsen and the one that I am excited about is a punk band, called Perfect Pussy. I've seen a few go through, but then again that is what I've been looking for. If it isn't that I sometimes like some Riot Grrl or some dance and techno depending on my mood you know?

I tend to get really addicted to a group and then move on, like last year I was totally into Chrvchs and Studio Killers, but now I kinda want to go live. Pretty much though you can get some underground bands along with some big name bands. Just need someone to help you get in, and a ride there. I think that the newest concert is more Heavy Metal and stuff, idk.

So like I have question for you?

Mari What music do you like? Also do you know how to deal with people who like super like you and you don't really know what you feel toward them, just a question in general you know. I am curious if I am being a spaz or not. You know?

All Band names are real bands, if you are an old lameo like me who didn't believe that

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 15, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Axe-man posted:

So like I have question for you?

Mari What music do you like? Also do you know how to deal with people who like super like you and you don't really know what you feel toward them, just a question in general you know. I am curious if I am being a spaz or not. You know?

Oh jeeze, I'll try to just to broad strokes here. I mostly listen to punk and queercore stuff. Against Me!, Three Dollar Bill, Vile Vile Creatures,sometimes The Coup for a change of pace. Used to listen to The Shondes, but not as much since I got back.

As for your other question, fuuuuuuuuuuuuccck you are asking the wrong person for advice on that one. I only got this cute recently, you know. Never really had a chance to think about stuff like that.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Lem: What do you think of the Church of Salt and Light? (see this for info on them) They claim to be crusading against sin, too, after all.

Yeah, the GM using my silly minor details! :dance:

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I've been to New York twice in my life. Once with my mom, and once with my dad. The one with my mom isn't very interesting: we went to about three different places before my mom had an agoraphobia-induced panic attack, so we quickly got back into the car and went home. That was before I fell into the Wellspring. Now after, that's the real story. My dad had some business in New York (no idea what), so he asked if he could take me along. My mom wasn't a fan of the idea, but I begged and pleaded for her to let me go. Eventually, she caved in, and soon the two of us were merrily on our way. Dad's the best to travel with, by the way; he buys slushies at the gas stations and turns the radio to metal and rap music.

Anyways, Dad found a hotel, and we stashed our stuff there. He diligently took me to all the big sites, like the Statue of Liberty and Grand Central Station, and it was a lot of fun. After a few days, he simply told me, "I'm heading out. I'll be back eventually. Make sure you're back here by sundown. Don't tell Mom." It was actually really cool, letting me be all independent. I did pretty well for myself, I'd like to think. Towards the end of the day, I went to the Empire State Building, all the way up to the top, and just stared out to the city. You want to talk about beautiful? Try standing up there, all alone with hundreds of people around me, watching the sun set on the city skyline. And with my new magical senses, it was like the aurora borealis, or the greatest firework show in existence. Short of the moment right after I fell into the Wellspring, it was the most attuned to the universe I've ever felt.

Of course, it was interrupted by the panic that I wasn't gonna make it back to the hotel in time. I ran to the elevator and moved it as quick as I could, but I got lost. Just as it started getting dark, I felt a hand fall onto my shoulder. I jerked back and struck a karate pose (didn't get past white belt), but it was just Dad. "Lucky I found you here," he said. He didn't really sound disappointed or angry, but I knew I'd screwed up. I should have been more careful.

I should say something about my dad, shouldn't I? I like him because he's cool and because he's nice to me, but at the same time, I wouldn't say he cares for me, you know? It's like, if you're with him, he'll dedicate his time and attention to you as though you're his favorite person in the world. If anything else catches his attention, though, poof! You don't exist. I can handle that, since I guess that's all I've ever known, but Mom fell in love with him. She expected stability, which is emphatically not his style. When he found me out there in the dark, he wasn't concerned for me or anything. Maybe he thinks I can wander freely like he does, that the warning he gave me was just an obligation to Mom. Maybe he thinks I think the same way he does. Maybe I do.

Well, anyway. That's when I felt most right being a witch. When did I feel most wrong? Hmm. I can talk about when I did something bad as a witch, or when I felt most off. I Truthspeaked (Truthspoke?) a kid once. Like, a 5-year-old. I was babysitting, and he knocked one of my mom's flowerpots off of the sill. When I asked him what happened, he lied and said he didn't do it. It was early in my training, and I was pretty upset, since Mom was gonna punish me for sure for that stupid thing (for the record, she totally did), so I, uh, kind of just lit off on him. Believe me, kids do not expect their babysitter to start glowing octarine and babbling incoherently. When it was done, he just stared at me. I asked him what happened, and the little snot lied to me again. The way he reacted, I could almost hear the ringing start, like a thunderclap. He just started wailing and wailing. I realized just how horrible a thing I had just done, so I broke it right away. He never stopped crying, even after his mom came to pick him up. ("I swear, he just started crying like that, and nothing I did helped!") I assume he never said a word about magic, since she never came after to me to burn me at the stake or whatever. And yeah, before you ask, I told Jasmine about it. While she said it was good that I taught the kid a lesson in telling the truth, she told me I was way out of line, and warned me not to use spells on kids again. Their magical profiles are still developing, so it can be really bad for them.

Now, the worst magical sense I've ever felt was, oddly enough, right nearby the Wellspring. Listen, I don't know what's up with that forest, but it's not normal. There are some parts of it that are normal, some parts that are extra-beautiful, and some parts that are just... I don't know how to describe it. When I walk near them, I feel dead, or sick, or corrupted, or something. Worst of all, I have no idea what it is. It could be some sort of evil presence, or it could be dark magic leaking, or it could be some magical thingy that I can't even hope to understand. I just keep out of those places as much as I can.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Bonus Round 2:

I have seen good, and I have seen suffering.

To my family's credit, the Nakahara did not just sit around in their estates all these years with the occasional death ritual. My ancestors helped build Madison into the town it is now. They invested some of their old fortune into a plot of forested land and sold logging rights as an enterprise, among others. They took that wealth and reached out towards other Japanese-American communities across America. They helped their own in every way possible; scholarships, financial support, outreach, whatever they could. When World War 2 rolled through, my grandmother took in a lot of people and helped them hide from internment, while my grandfather fought in the war. In that way, the Nakahara found a new purpose here in America.

Many, many people attended my grandmother's funeral. Among them was an old lady, extremely sick and frail, supported by her sons, who pushed herself hard just to watch the burial. She came over to the plot of land where my grandmother rested, broke down in tears, and thanked her for what Obaa-chan did for her family all those years ago. And I watched her, all her sons and daughters and granddaughters bunched up around her and the grave, and I knew. My family was responsible for this. If it wasn't for the secrets and the traditions, they could be doing more good than they are now.

I could care less about the traditions if it means I have to kill people for it.

...Yes, look. His name was Franco Martinez. He was investigating the murder of another man, an accident from a duel between my father and my aunt Hikari decades ago. He asked too many questions, probed too deep in our family estate, started to uncover a few skeletons here and there. My family tried to dissuade him, but we learned he wasn't just another reporter. He said that only he wanted to find his lover's killer, and he wasn't going to say no for answer. My father wanted me to deal him, personally.

And I did. Caught him in his hotel room at night. He didn't even see the blade plunge into his back. I watched his eyes bulge in horror, until I twisted the blade and did him in. I cleaned up the room, mauled the body, threw it somewhere in the woods. Townspeople found him, attributed it for a bear attack or something. First time I had to kill for the family secret. It wasn't the last, but I tell you. It doesn't feel better the more you do it. Just colder.

It is bad enough I have to kill my family before I become an adult. I guess tasks like these are how my father prepares me for that. All part of my... training, goddammit. How is he the son of my grandmother?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Hiroko: All this violence, all these secrets, can't be healthy to experience, especially knowing there's no escape from them (There is no escape, right?) Tell me about a time when the stress got too much, and what you did then. How did your siblings react?

If by escape, you mean... well, I have nowhere else to go. If I try to leave, they'll hunt me down. The dark power in our blood manifests as strange birthmarks in various parts of our bodies, much in the same style as the tattoos the yakuza place on themselves. Mine is a white tiger that curls all across my back. As long as I have that, my siblings will always have an idea where to find me. The same goes for them, but... that just means I'll always have to run.

Even if you disregard all that, consider this: what kind of person would I be if I leave it all behind and let my siblings devour themselves?

...That's what I tell myself, at least. That's what I told Madine, my best friend. We grew up around here, but I made sure she never knew any of this... until last month. I don't know why I told her then... she was always so understanding, and it felt like too much to keep in at the time. I killed Franco, then. I was wracked with guilt. I had to tell my best friend about it. Even showed my tattoos, exposed my family's pride and joy at her face, just to convince her that all of this is real. She thought that it was insane, my story was insane. I couldn't blame her.

She tried to help me, console me for what it was worth. But I was too stressed and angry that she didn't entirely believe. I raised my voice and snapped back. It really got ugly. I haven't talked to her since. And now... I realized how my siblings really had ears everywhere. Saori came up to me one day, casually mentioned my talk with Madine, and simply walked away afterwards with a smile. It was blackmail, plain and simple. A threat to my best friend's life, or a threat to expose my conversation with her to my parents.

This is how my siblings react whenever I become vulnerable. Especially Saori.

I can't open myself like that again.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 16, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Okay, more questions, probably one of the final batches.

Question Three:

Marinette: Well Marinette, we know you're not a victim anymore, and won't be ever again. When you got sent back, with your new strength and your new perspective, before you were sent to Vermont, you got vengeance on one of your tormenters - not that anyone else will ever know it was you. What did you do them, to make them suffer for what they did to you?

Hiroko: Outside of your family, where do you stand in society? Are you involved in any clubs/societies at school or in the town? What do you do for fun, or to relax? What are you like as an individual outside of the blood and secrets of your family conflicts?

EDIT: I should mention, I know that there's at least one character who hasn't received a third question yet (Jenny), and I haven't forgotten you, but I simply don't have any material to ask about your character anymore, I can't think of anything that hasn't already been developed in previous questions or Shelly/Godfish's questions, sorry!

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 16, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Haha, that's okay. I was worried I had missed it but guess not (and yeah the Shelly and Jenny Show went on for a fair bit).

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

zachol posted:

Haha, that's okay. I was worried I had missed it but guess not (and yeah the Shelly and Jenny Show went on for a fair bit).

It was a good show, don't worry about that. :)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Marinette: Well Marinette, we know you're not a victim anymore, and won't be ever again. When you got sent back, with your new strength and your new perspective, before you were sent to Vermont, you got vengeance on one of your tormenters - not that anyone else will ever know it was you. What did you do them, to make them suffer for what they did to you?

Well between the hospital and the never being left at home alone thing, I didn't exactly have the opportunity to burn down Blaine Colins's house or anything like that. But I did have plenty of time with my computer, and there's lots of things you can do with one of those. Take Missy Chambers, for example. Her preferred form of torment was to print out pictures of me, then tape them up around school with a bunch of slurs and other derogatory doodling on them. And she just so happens to be the kind of idiot who uses her dog's name as her Facebook password, a name which she uses to tag every single picture of said dog on her publicly viewable profile. I mean really, try to make it a challenge at least.

Anyway, Missy is dating Wayne Tyler, the captain of the basketball team, which everyone knows. But it turns out, based on her private message history, she's also loving the starting center Brad Styles, Wayne's biggest rival. And based on those messages they are into some pretty freaky poo poo. I was actually kinda impressed. Not that that stopped me from copying a few choice messages, mostly the ones about how there's no way Wayne will find out, and 'accidentally' sending them to Wayne. I waited until I knew that Wayne saw them, and then I began phase two. Phase two involved all the nudes she'd sent to Brad, and one big message that included pretty much the whole school, and her grandmother for good measure. Then I posted them all to her timeline, making sure to tag Brad in every one, of course.

Then I scrubbed my history and changed my passwords. You can never be too careful about digital security, after all.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

thelazyblank posted:

Look, Hiroko, we both know neither of us are saints. I know you say you feel bad about some of the things you've done, but there had to be some time where you just felt good tearing into someone or something, right?

Sometimes, Evie-san, people deserve death. I'll tell you a story, but you won't believe me.

A man came into town a year ago, a felon in several counties, a fugitive from a nearby prison. He left a string of murders in Madison, something that missed our oversight until it came too late. The police pursued missing person reports and uncovered corpses all over the forest. Not of my doings, or anyone in my family. We didn't drain the fluids of our enemies, for one. No, this was something else. A bloodsucker.

Don't give me that look. I've dealt with a lot of darkness in Madison. Strange things flock here, no matter how hard the family keeps the peace. And it didn't look as funny to me when he sucked the blood of people in my estate and kidnapped my youngest sister for ransom. Ransom for what, you might ask?

Somehow, he found out about our family and our history. He believed the stories of the evil power in our blood, and he wanted it for himself. He came this close to doing so with Kohaku. But he gave away his position when he attacked my home. I asked my father if I could deal with him.

The family didn't tolerate anyone who perverted our tradi... sorry, who threatened my kin. Personally, I just thought the man as a murderer and a monster. And I loved my youngest sister. That helped. So when my blade came down on the bloodsucker... yes. Yes, I felt good. I killed a man. But he deserved it.

If it was that easy to picture everyone I killed as a monster, well...

Sorry, is there still time to ask another question back?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Hiroko: Outside of your family, where do you stand in society? Are you involved in any clubs/societies at school or in the town? What do you do for fun, or to relax? What are you like as an individual outside of the blood and secrets of your family conflicts?

I do a lot of physical training and gymnastics, so I'm much stronger than I look. The track team went out of their way to recruit me early in the school year, and while I didn't exactly feel like track material, I joined in anyway. It felt good to compete with others there and work towards a goal for joining larger competition. The healthy kind of competition, mind you, not... what I have at home. I wanted to form up my own club for martial arts, but I didn't get enough people interested. Maybe next year? Hah.

Other than sword and gardening lessons with Mr. Himura every other night, you might be surprised how much I go out of my way to avoid the family estate. I'm rich and my family has a good reputation, so people love to invite me to parties and events, so they can act like I'm there as their friend. Which is fine by mine, I like the night life. Not much of it here, but you take what you can.

If there's nothing else to do or no one to talk to, I just relax in some quiet place around town with a small notebook. I like to write poetry. You know how they say that a samurai, on their death bed or in the face of seppuku, prepares a death poem for themselves before their time comes? I figure I should get better at writing those while I still can.

Don't frown like that, just think of it this way: If I have to go down, I'll do so with my own words. And with flair.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Alright, recruitment is officially closed. I'll try to decide who gets in tonight, but it might be tomorrow that I put the list up.

Edit: It was really hard to pare this down to 8 players, but that's the maximum I feel comfortable with in my first GMing stint. If you weren't selected, it wasn't because your application was bad, I would have happily taken everyone if I could have.

That said, the list of successful applicants is:

Actingpower: Tyler McClure - Witch
Zachol: Genevieve 'Drowning Jenny' Baker - Ghost
Gazeteer: Lily Green-Zuckerman - Fae
RatherWatchThem: Lemuel Pahlke - Unicorn
Godfish: Shelly Partridge - Serpentine
Axe-man: Sarah Weissman - Chosen
TurninTrix: Hiroko Nakahara - Heir
Brainamp: Samantha McHale - Werewolf

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 17, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh, nice. :unsmith:

EDIT: I'm linking everyone's apps here for reference.

Tyler McClure the Witch, Actingpower
Genevieve 'Drowning Jenny' Baker the Ghost, Zachol
Lily Green-Zuckerman the Fae, Gazeteer
Lemuel Pahlke the Unicorn, RatherWatchThem
Shelly Partridge the Serpentine, Godfish
Sarah Weissman the Chosen, Axe-man
Hiroko Nakahara the Heir, TurninTrix
Samantha McHale the Werewolf, Brainamp

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 17, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Here is a handy-dandy String chart I totally didn't copy from Haruhearts. Anyone can edit it, so you don't need to wait for me to update your stuff.

To remind everyone:

Tyler:
You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide
whose and what they are.
One of the others caught you rummaging through their
friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

Jenny:
Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They
gain a String on you.
You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were
sleeping. Take a String on them.

Lily:
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one
String.
You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Lem:
Someone is thinking about taking
something from you - discuss with
them and decide what it is. You each
get a String on one another.
Someone has told you they're in love
with you. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Shelly:
You’ve been watching someone, trying
to learn from them what it means to
be human (Normal? Contemporary?). Gain two Strings on them.
Your family (Organization) seeks to control your
every move. The head of your family (Organization)
gains two Strings on you.

Sarah:
You have two friends who you can rely on for monsterslaying
support. Take a String on each.
There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one,
and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two
Strings on you. (I will do this tomorrow)

Hiroko:
You've revenged yourself on someone.
Agree why and how, and give them 2
Strings on you.
You're afraid of what someone can &
will do. Give them 2 Strings on you.
You have six blood siblings, each with
a gift that can become yours. In your
Birthrights section, list their names
and ages with at least one born each
year after you. Gain a String on each.

Samantha:
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.
You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance.
Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you
now. Take 2 Strings on them.

EDIT:

I already took the liberty of giving everyone a string on Sam and Lily, as per the first part of their backstories.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 18, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Sorry I was never able to answer those questions. Was very sidetracked over the last few days.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Oh hey, neat.

Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.
Whoever feels particularly observant and detail-minded can take this. Jenny doesn't particularly try to keep it a secret or mind; people have found out before but it always blows over (or she gets killed, whatever).

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.
Gonna read over people's stuff and pick one for this, unless someone feels they're a super good fit already.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Cool; I was hoping I'd get a chance to use this character.

You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.
This one seems rather outside my control, so if anyone wants it, go ahead.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.
Mind if I grab this one, ActingPower?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Gazetteer posted:

You've captured someone's fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.
This one seems rather outside my control, so if anyone wants it, go ahead.

I'd like to take this. Lily seems as far away as possible from an overly traditional and backstabbing family. Also her hair is cute. :3:

I'll repost my strings here:

You've revenged yourself on someone. Agree why and how, and give them 2 Strings on you.
Feels like Samantha might fit into this, if her family's been in town as long as Hiroko's has.

You're afraid of what someone can & will do. Give them 2 Strings on you.
I'm going to have to read everyone's apps for this later, but if anyone thinks they might fit the definition, let me know. :)

And I'm taking a string on each of my siblings.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 17, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.
Not entirely sure who would be cruel enough to take something from a homeless kid. Who has it in their heart? :ohdear:

Someone has told you they're in love with you. Gain 2 Strings on them.
I'm thinking Sarah wants to say something, but I'll wait for Axe to confirm that.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Rather Watch Them posted:

Someone has told you they're in love with you. Gain 2 Strings on them.
I'm thinking Sarah wants to say something, but I'll wait for Axe to confirm that.

Sarah going to crush on Lem super hard!

Shelly is going to be one of my monster fitin pals, Taking a string on her! Lem is going to be the other fitin pal!

sooooo

Sarah Strings
Name : Mine / Theirs

Tyler : 0 / 0
Jenny : 0 / 0
Lily : 1 / 0
Lem : 1 / 2
Hiroko : 0 / 0
Shelly : 1 / 0
Samantha : 1 / 0

as a whole Sarah is pretty open to everything except almost sex and stuff since she is a omg super awkward about it still.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 18, 2014

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Shelly has been watching Hiroko, trying to learn from her how to behave in this time and place. Gain two Strings on them.

Normally, I get a lot of briefing on the time period and location I'm going to, I think I mentioned that it usually takes like, half of the time I actually spend in the roll to make sure I don't give myself away by doing something completely out of character. But since my mission here was supposed to be like, literally half an hour, I didn't get much of any.

Just some basic slang and some general background info. I've been to around this time before, so I know a bit more, and when I got my cover for while I wait for this time flow distortion to fix, I got a bit more, and a cell phone and stuff, which seems like the most important part of a high schooler disguise, but I still don't know any of the local subtleties, which kind of works for an outsider, but I'll need to learn fast before I attract too much attention. To that end, I've taken to watching Hikoro Nakahara , who as a member of one of the central families in the community should be a good guide on what behavior is expected.

Which appears to be slightly more sword fighting practice than I'd expected. Learn something new every era, right?

It was her or Samantha, but she's a little intimidating.

You have two friends who you can rely on for monsterslaying support. Take a String on each.

Yesterday, I received word from the Agency that they had detected an unusual lifeform coming from the town, that may be causing temporal disturbance, and they instructed me to hunt it down. Armed with my futurized pistol, I went out into the street at night, and was in the middle of attempting to gun it down when one of my temporary classmates arrived on the scene, and slew it with a silver sword (wow, I guess swords really are a lot more common these days than I was lead to believe, this is going to really shake up the temporological journals when I get back!).

Apparently, Sarah Weissman goes hunting these 'oil dogs' nearly every night! Since the reading are still there, the Agency has advised I continue to exterminate them, so I've invited myself along to go with her in the future.

Your family (Organization) seeks to control your every move. The head of your family (Organization) gains two Strings on you.

The leader of the Causality Readjustment Agency (CRA) is the fatherly Barnaby Boulette. Though he usually takes an off hand approach to individual missions, aside from meeting with the agents after a case for the debriefing, and being a generally friendly and approachable face around the office, he has taken a more personal interest in Shelly's situation, perhaps because of the unique nature of having an Agent in the field with no clear goal, or perhaps because of something seen during his countless hours studying the time temporal field charts that only he knows.

--

I'm not sure how the rest of the strings are going to spread, but Shelly could work for Jenny's being watched sleeping string, or Sam's being followed if Zachol/BrainAmp don't have someone else in mind.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

TurninTrix posted:

You're afraid of what someone can & will do. Give them 2 Strings on you.
I'm going to have to read everyone's apps for this later, but if anyone thinks they might fit the definition, let me know. :)

Maybe this could work with Jenny's "someone knows you're dead" relationship? Hiroko is aware that Jenny has a ridiculous bodycount, and has behaved erratically in the past, minor slights/issues spiraling into a bunch of people getting horribly drowned.
Jenny has a weird sort of buried history with the town. Generally, memories of her slip from people's minds, leaving only vague myth, but the Nakahara family's unique situation means they're able to remember and record everything.

e: Still thinking in the sleeping thing. Probably Shelly, yeah.

zachol fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 17, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TurninTrix posted:

You've revenged yourself on someone. Agree why and how, and give them 2 Strings on you.
Feels like Samantha might fit into this, if her family's been in town as long as Hiroko's has.

Sounds good to me.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

About to go to sleep, so I'll think on this one, unless anyone wants to snatch it.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Gazetteer posted:

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.
Mind if I grab this one, ActingPower?

Oh, sure! I think I was considering a sympathetic token of yours, but that works too. Now that I think about it, would it have been a Promise of some kind?

Now, as to sympathetic tokens. I'm drawn to Jenny, I think, for one of them. The other one should probably be someone who I think is threatening. Hiroko, perhaps? Samantha? Whoever I choose/chooses me, feel free to determine what sort of thing I'd swipe from you.

Rather Watch Them posted:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.
Not entirely sure who would be cruel enough to take something from a homeless kid. Who has it in their heart? :ohdear:

Well, Tyler's whole thing is stealing things from people, and Tyler doesn't like Lem, so... maybe? He certainly might like to take something from Lem, even if he doesn't know that Lem's homeless.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 17, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

zachol posted:

Maybe this could work with Jenny's "someone knows you're dead" relationship? Hiroko is aware that Jenny has a ridiculous bodycount, and has behaved erratically in the past, minor slights/issues spiraling into a bunch of people getting horribly drowned.
Jenny has a weird sort of buried history with the town. Generally, memories of her slip from people's minds, leaving only vague myth, but the Nakahara family's unique situation means they're able to remember and record everything.

e: Still thinking in the sleeping thing. Probably Shelly, yeah.

Works for me! Her family probably treats Jenny like some sort of ghost story they can't explain, have no idea how to deal with, and sternly warn their children about for their own good. :ghost:

I'll take a String on you and you can take two on me.

Brainamp posted:

Sounds good to me.

Cool. I am still thinking the details, but I figure either Sam or one of her pack humiliated one of Hiroko's siblings (maybe one of the 15-year old twins) and she intervened on the sibling's behalf. Just some posturing and social revenge, rather than outright violence (plenty of opportunity for that in play).

Mitama fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 17, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

It only just now occurred to me that there are only two guys: me and Lem. And I don't like him. :v:

On another demographics note:
Madison natives: Tyler, Jenny, Lem, Hiroko, Sam
Madison newbies: Lily, Shelly
Madison kind-of-new, kind-of-native: Sarah

Also, try saying this five times fast: Sam, Sarah, Shelly, Lily, Lem. The names in this group are a nightmare! :xd:

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 17, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I would say that Sarah has been there since at least the start of highschool if not earlier, so not sure how "new" that makes her. Small towns are super weird :negative:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Okay, got a very basic homeroom set up here. Claim your spots, and I'll fill in the rest with various student NPCs. Speaking of which!

Current NPC List:

Students:
Liv Morgan, Lem's friend who wants to be more-than-friends.
Brian Masterson, from an Old Money family (by Madison standards), gives ‘helpful’ advice on how women can be more appealing to him.
Alan Walker, demi-cool kid, thinks he’s much cooler than he really is. Leader of the 'wallflowers'
Tanner and Landon, play collectible card games, possible secret boyfriends.
Mark Young, Loudmouthed, pushy, has a very unrequited crush on Sarah.
Stephanie Myer, related to George Myer (deceased 40 years ago in the oil refinery), spreads rumours about Sarah.
Zoe McKenzie, Sarah’s best friend.
Marty McKenzie, Zoe’s older brother.
Terrence Morham, Goth, hates Tyler
Anita Morissey, childhood friend of Tyler, but hangs out with a group he doesn’t fit in with
Gang “Tiger” Chieng, one of Tyler’s wallflower friends, not smart enough to hang out with the nerds.
Maylene Alieri, Was in the drama club until she was overshadowed by a prettier girl. Now one of the ‘wallflowers’
Melissa Coventry, Bully, only picks on people she sees as ‘weak’.
Casey, aka “That Bastard”, wildcard, sociopath, manipulator. Very distinctive magical profile.
Mary Peters, did… /something/, which Lem interrupted. Despises him as a result.
Emily Karminrot, Wanted to be Sarah’s friend+kissed her, but was rejected.
Matthew Ridgewood, The guy you go to for drugs. Rich out-of-towner.
Madine Armstrong, Hiroko's (ex?)friend, was told about the Nakahara family's ritual, did not believe it.
Wendy, Trans student, harassed by principal for not conforming to Cis standards!
Josie, Happiest Student Ever, to a strange degree. Bullied by Melissa.
Daniel Poole, Looks eerily similar to someone Shelly met in the past
Hester, Deceased, victim of The Empty
Jeff, Jock, Quarterback, rear end in a top hat
Paula, suffered a family tragedy, distraught
Ted, Serial Heartbreaker
Toby&Lana, Lovey-Dovey couple

Teachers+Staff:
Richard Jones, ex-military, now P.E. teacher + coach, nice guy!
Edna Thatcher, Dorm mother, no-nonsense, high standards.
Ms. Carmicheal, History Teacher, warm and friendly, but rather strange noises come from her cabin.
Professor Ben Peterson, teaches English Lit, very enthusiastic, sexiest male teacher

Townsfolk:
Jasmine Pertree, head of the Madison coven, town psychologist.
Old Man Gaston, homeless, bitter, beggar.
Mickey Finn + The Beard, local drug dealers
The Goat, a Very Strange drug dealer who deals some product called ‘Root’
Isamu Himura, a not-vassal of the Nakahara clan, seems /particularly/ old-fashioned.
Church of Salt and Light, New Agey spiritual cult, very fond of judging others for their ‘sins’.
George “Crazy Georgy” Walker, ancient conspiracy theorist who might actually be right about his theories!
Blue Moonie, vagrant, drunkard, helps Lem when he falls in the Night World.
Hiroko's family, covered in her app.
The McHale clan, Samantha's werewolf clan.
McClure Family, Tyler's mom and dad.

Other:
Lily’s Dad, Goblin King!
The Empty, ???, located in the old refinery.
Barnaby Boulette, head of the CRA in the future

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 26, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Hey, Godfish, crazy thought. Maybe Andy Nair and Alan Walker are the same person? I'm willing to rename my backstory character to yours if you don't mind.

I haven't mentioned it, but is Stephanie Myer's name just coincidentally similar to the writer of Twilight (Stephenie Meyer)?

Anita's last name is Morrissey.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

ActingPower posted:

I haven't mentioned it, but is Stephanie Myer's name just coincidentally similar to the writer of Twilight (Stephenie Meyer)?

It is intentional, I thought of the person i could spit venom at as a writer the most, and that popped out. :D

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ActingPower posted:

Oh, sure! I think I was considering a sympathetic token of yours, but that works too. Now that I think about it, would it have been a Promise of some kind?

Now, as to sympathetic tokens. I'm drawn to Jenny, I think, for one of them. The other one should probably be someone who I think is threatening. Hiroko, perhaps? Samantha? Whoever I choose/chooses me, feel free to determine what sort of thing I'd swipe from you.

Samantha has a few things I can think of that she would give a poo poo about. In order from most important to least, she has her deceased Grandma's bandanna, a hunting knife she got for her birthday, and a Jim Croce cd she likes singing along to.

TurninTrix posted:

Cool. I am still thinking the details, but I figure either Sam or one of her pack humiliated one of Hiroko's siblings (maybe one of the 15-year old twins) and she intervened on the sibling's behalf. Just some posturing and social revenge, rather than outright violence (plenty of opportunity for that in play).

The pack gets pretty antsy when the full moon is around the corner. They also really hate it when people stare.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

One of the new girls in town, Shelley I think her name was, smells... I don't know. She smells wrong, like a factory... or a city? It's almost infuriating how I can't place it. It's sorta like when you hear a song again after like a decade. You know it, but you don't, and it just nags at you. Even the air she breathes comes out wrong. Stale. I'm almost thankful for the hint of a cigarette I can pick up. It's still foul, but at least something I can place.

I caught a whiff of her one day and it drat near drove me out of my skull. I've tried watching her when she wasn't looking to see if maybe she had some kinda new perfume or deodorant. Nothing. Even the places she went in town wouldn't leave that kinda scent on her. If there is an upside to this, I could out that girl in a crowd no matter what. I'd probably be sick afterwards.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 17, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Axe-man posted:

It is intentional, I thought of the person i could spit venom at as a writer the most, and that popped out. :D

Lol, nice. :P

Brainamp posted:

Samantha has a few things I can think of that she would give a poo poo about. In order from most important to least, she has her deceased Grandma's bandanna, a hunting knife she got for her birthday, and a Jim Croce cd she likes singing along to.

Hmm... The knife seems like a good choice, since like I said, my goal with it would be to keep you from hurting people. Pretty symbolic. So... that's not bad. If you carry any less valuable weapons, though, I'd take those instead. People tend to notice when valuables go missing; less so if it's one of three lighters you own or whatever.

EDIT: Oh, and Noun. I just put my tokens in as Strings. Was that right? I'm kind of confused how the Sympathetic Tokens ability works. Is it something to the effect of, "When you gain a sympathetic token, gain a String. If you lose the token before spending that String, the String is lost?" Or is there also, "If you use a Token as a String, it cannot be used in Hex-Casting?"

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 17, 2014

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I think Ms. Carmichael teaches history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

ActingPower posted:

EDIT: Oh, and Noun. I just put my tokens in as Strings. Was that right? I'm kind of confused how the Sympathetic Tokens ability works. Is it something to the effect of, "When you gain a sympathetic token, gain a String. If you lose the token before spending that String, the String is lost?" Or is there also, "If you use a Token as a String, it cannot be used in Hex-Casting?"

That's... a good question. I'm honestly not sure. I think I'd rule that while you gain a String when you get a sympathetic token, the two aren't inextricably linked - you can use that token even after you've expended the string, so long as you still hold the token. Even if you lose the token, you don't lose the string (assuming you haven't already spent it).

• Locked thread