Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Harlock posted:

Not sure if the other thread is covering casting news, but Clara is apparently out at Christmas. Or so the rumor goes anyways.

The Mirror. I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Thank gently caress.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Perhaps that tweet by Frazer Heins means the good news is that after Clara leaves Jaime will regain his memory and rejoin the Dr on his travels. Heck, pick up Victoria from the sea gas company while their at it. I'd watch that show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remembered another Good Dalek that the Doctor REALLY should have remembered!

The OswinDalek. I mean, for the love of Christ, they brought up that plot point that the Daleks didn't remember who he was, SOME HOW, despite the Christmas special clearly showing that they knew now who he was and wait.

The Doctor linked his mind to that of a Dalek.

The Daleks share a hive mind of information apparently.

Shouldn't all of the Daleks know about the Doctor now?

The more I think about this dumb, dumb episode, the more I want to strangle whoever wrote it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Harlock posted:

Not sure if the other thread is covering casting news, but Clara is apparently out at Christmas. Or so the rumor goes anyways.

Thank goodness

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I don't get the hate for Clara. She's pretty much the same character that ever other Doctor has traveled with.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I don't get the hate for Clara. She's pretty much the same character that ever other Doctor has traveled with.

Replace hate for with point of.

Only she's only like every woman MOFFAT has written.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Harlock posted:

Kinda surprised to be honest. She wasn't that bad and she was a decent actress. Wonder what they have in mind for a new companion. (Please let it be the return of handles)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Call me ignorant but I don't understand this "Moffat woman character" thing. How is she any different from Polly/Sarah Jane/Mel/Rose/Dodo/Peri/Nyssa/Vicki?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Call me ignorant but I don't understand this "Moffat woman character" thing. How is she any different from Polly/Sarah Jane/Mel/Rose/Dodo/Peri/Nyssa/Vicki?

Well, the others were actual characters who had their own growth and progression (to some degree or other; or in the case of Dodo, none at all). Whereas Clara is basically Moffat's idea of the Doctor's fantasy dream date who is always super hugely important and the universe quite literally revolves around her (see also: Pond, Amy and Song, River).

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The black and white screener of Robots of Sherwood's apparently up now. Marcelo Camargo must be making GBS threads himself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Republican Vampire posted:

The black and white screener of Robots of Sherwood's apparently up now. Marcelo Camargo must be making GBS threads himself.

How does this keep happening?! Haha.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Marcelo :buddy:

EDIT; I am the Doctor and this is my sp0rk.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 17, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Well, the others were actual characters who had their own growth and progression (to some degree or other; or in the case of Dodo, none at all). Whereas Clara is basically Moffat's idea of the Doctor's fantasy dream date who is always super hugely important and the universe quite literally revolves around her (see also: Pond, Amy and Song, River).

Amy and River had a ton of character development.

I don't know, but I have a hard time calling Clara a total loss because she's only been in like six episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Can I make fun of you for including Dodo on that list? Because really, Dodo?

She doesn't count.

The rest? Yeah that's been covered. The closest one you can list that's even SORT of similar to how Moffat tends to write women, Rose, still had a ton of very real flaws and anything bad with Rose was instantly undone with her The Moment Bad Wolf form and that amazing dance.

Wait a minute- what character development has Amy had?

I mean I know River, like, mutated from a psychopath out to kill the Doctor to a psychopath out to gently caress the Doctor, and I guess that's LIKE character development, but really how much does Amy change from start to finish, besides puberty?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She went from sarcastic witticisms with a boyfriend to sarcastic witticisms with a husband.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

but really how much does Amy change from start to finish, besides puberty?

1) Realizes her love for Rory and marries him, and 2) stops worshipping the Doctor as some kind of God and instead realizes he is a flawed man.

Like the second point in particular is a major theme in 11's run. The Doctor visits her when she's 8 and she becomes obsessed with him but he continually lets her down over the course of their adventures. The Girl Who Waited is basically their entire relationship in a single episode, except with the opposite outcome (blaming the Doctor instead of accepting her fate).

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Episode 3 is pretty dire. I giggled at Capaldi pulling off the "what in the gently caress are they constantly laughing about?" type responses and his banter with Robin Hood in the jail was pretty funny. But the sword-spoon fight was ridiculous and seemed so out of character for this Doctor, even within the context of this episode alone. Matt Smith's Doctor would have pulled it off with charm, even as stupid as it was, it just didn't suit Capaldi.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Shadoer posted:

Wonder what they have in mind for a new companion. (Please let it be the return of handles)

A new incarnation of Susan. I don't care that it's as fanwanky as all hell. It would work, and it would be magnificent.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I just saw the leaked premiere, and I don't think I liked any scene that didn't have Peter Capaldi in it. His scenes in the start of the episode didn't seem particularly strong, but his stuff in the second half was great to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had Robots of Sherwood described to me and it sounds unusually awful even for a Gatiss episode. Apparently they do the "first guy hits the bullseye and then the second guy splits the first arrow in two" cliche twice.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bown posted:

I had Robots of Sherwood described to me and it sounds unusually awful even for a Gatiss episode. Apparently they do the "first guy hits the bullseye and then the second guy splits the first arrow in two" cliche twice.

You know that's a cliche nowadays because of the Robin Hood story, right?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

jivjov posted:

How does this keep happening?! Haha.

Supposedly whoever's doing the leaking has the rough cuts of the first five episodes and is just teasing 'em out slowly. Some people suspect viral marketing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

You know that's a cliche nowadays because of the Robin Hood story, right?

Not sure by what logic this excuses lazy writing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bown posted:

Not sure by what logic this excuses lazy writing.

Because if you're making a Robin Hood-based story, obviously there are going to be references to the original story? You might as well be saying, "Pfft, they have some guy stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, what a cliche!"

Note: I haven't seen the episode and it probably is terrible and derivative. I just think that if you're doing a Robin Hood story to begin with, you're going to get those references.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't mind them doing a classic Robin Hood cliche but a good episode of Who would do it a second time only in order to subvert it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The arrow thing wasn't really a big deal, it was just Robin and the Sheriff in the typical archery contest from the classic tale with the Doctor thrown in showing he can match them (with a little bit of trickery revealed later on as to how). The truly awful thing was the teamwork 3-person arrow shooting at the end of the episode, that was just awkward as gently caress. If not from a storytelling point of view, then just from a purely physical one - three people operating 1 regular bow.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Burkion posted:

I mean I know River, like, mutated from a psychopath out to kill the Doctor to a psychopath out to gently caress the Doctor, and I guess that's LIKE character development, but really how much does Amy change from start to finish, besides puberty?

This is searingly obvious in retrospect, but it's inordinately difficult to do character development for a character who constantly pops up out of chronological order and who, in more than half of her appearances, is concealing her past, pretending to be surprised by things which she already knows, or just lying. I wonder how Alex Kingston ever put up with it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Because if you're making a Robin Hood-based story, obviously there are going to be references to the original story? You might as well be saying, "Pfft, they have some guy stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, what a cliche!"

Note: I haven't seen the episode and it probably is terrible and derivative. I just think that if you're doing a Robin Hood story to begin with, you're going to get those references.

There is no "the original story" of Robin Hood. The arrow-splitting thing is from Errol Flynn's version.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
After ep 3, I'd definitely say Malcolm Tucker in space is an apt description of Capaldi doc. Sarcastic dick, extremely jaded/cynical, will dogmatically argue a point he thinks is right, even if he's partially/completely wrong. And he's been wrong quite a bit so far. He also likes one upping other people who are trying to show off just to spite them.

The arrow contest is a good example. After loving with Robin Hood, he blew up the target with the Sonic just to prove that it was all bullshit (target contained machinery that facilitated the arrow splitting).

He's that guy in your office who knows his stuff and tries to be a good person, but he makes a horrible first impression and it's pretty drat hard to like the guy because of his personality.

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 17, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

qntm posted:

There is no "the original story" of Robin Hood. The arrow-splitting thing is from Errol Flynn's version.

Yeah, I know it's a series of stories and ballads and embellishments. I guess I should have said the original canon or the source material or something.
The arrow splitting didn't originate in Errol Flynn's version, though, here's part of a ballad from the 17th or 18th century:

quote:

But brave jolly Robin shot under his hand,
And then did hit the mark right.
And Clifton he then, with his arrow so good,
The willow-wood cleaved in two;
The Miller’s young son came not short, by the rood,
His skill he most bravely did show.

Although it's not actually Robin doing the arrow-splitting, in that case. Either way, though, the Errol Flynn version is definitely one of the more influential modern versions of the story, anyways.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 17, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Varance posted:

The arrow contest is a good example. After loving with Robin Hood, he blew up the target with the Sonic just to prove that it was all bullshit (target contained machinery that facilitated the arrow splitting).

So it sounds like it is at least trying to subvert the convention a bit, then.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

The arrow splitting didn't originate in Errol Flynn's version, though, here's part of a ballad from the 17th or 18th century

I stand corrected, cool!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

thexerox123 posted:

So it sounds like it is at least trying to subvert the convention a bit, then.
The Doctor spends the entire first half of the episode trying to prove that Robin Hood is only a legend and that whatever's going on in Sherwood is bullshit/not real.

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 17, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burkion posted:

I'm not going to ask the nerdier things, like why radiation would make a Dalek go KILL ALL DALEKS, when they're RADIOACTIVE MUTANTS TO BEGIN WITH

You're a radioactive mutant, go rub some Americium-241* on your gums and see how you get on

*A strong alpha source found in smoke detectors

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Watching the 3rd episode. They should get whoever was the Sheriff of Nottingham to play the Master. Dude looks a lot like Anthony Ainley.

EDIT: Special guest appearance from Patrick Troughton!

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They wasted Timothy Dalton as Rassilon. He would have been a great foil for Capaldi Doc as Master. Two ornery old guys going at it. Could also make it comical. The BBC version of Grumpy Old Men.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Harlock posted:

They wasted Timothy Dalton as Rassilon. He would have been a great foil for Capaldi Doc as Master. Two ornery old guys going at it. Could also make it comical. The BBC version of Grumpy Old Men.

Or Capaldi can find Gallifrey (ugh) and the two can face off again.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thepokey posted:

The arrow thing wasn't really a big deal, it was just Robin and the Sheriff in the typical archery contest from the classic tale with the Doctor thrown in showing he can match them (with a little bit of trickery revealed later on as to how). The truly awful thing was the teamwork 3-person arrow shooting at the end of the episode, that was just awkward as gently caress. If not from a storytelling point of view, then just from a purely physical one - three people operating 1 regular bow.

Isn't that also an image from the old stories? IIRC when Robin died, Little John and Alan-a-Dale helped him fire his last arrow, and they buried him where it landed.

PriorMarcus posted:

Finding Gallifrey would be awesome if the Doctor promptly realized why he hated the other Time Lords while they were around. If their characterization as limp-dick senatorial oxbridge fuckwits was intact they'd make a great counterpoint to a doc like Twelve.

Not that this would happen. Apparently both Moffat and Gatiss hate post-Deadly Assassin time lords because being huge and mysterious and weird in a generic and unsatisfying way is awesome.

It's like the Reapers in Mass Effect all over again.

E:

The idea is that they're trapped off in some pocket universe, waiting for him to find a place where they can safely come through. Though apparently he can pop over, since Clara tells the wee babby doctor some bullshit self-help crap in Listen.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

Wait, it just occurred to me, didn't he already find Gallifrey? It's just sitting on the other side of the cracks in the universe (where the Atraxi also were...?) frozen in a single moment (but also aware and unfrozen enough to (a) send a message out across the cosmos and (b) cobble together an extra set of regenerations for the Doctor).

• Locked thread