Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a list anywhere that shows everything each ingredient is used to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

AuxPriest posted:

These designs are so hot.

Is there any reason to stockpile copper wiring, say on it's own belt? Or is it best just to do the above and directly feed it into something?

The only reason to belt wire is to feed Advanced Chip factories, since the ratio is nuts like 1:9 wire:advchip or similar.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Copper wire takes up twice as much space on a belt as a copper plate (because one plate makes two wires) so they're actually pretty hard to shuttle around, I just find it easier to turn copper into wire on demand, even if it means my copper wire assemblers sit idle most of the time.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Well I am now the proud owner of the Alpha. Gonna automate everything, that demo was the bee's knees.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

SquadronROE posted:

Well I am now the proud owner of the Alpha. Gonna automate everything, that demo was the bee's knees.

Congrats!

I think I've gotten more mileage out of this pre-release than any other in recent memory. Except maybe Minecraft.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

FISHMANPET posted:

Copper wire takes up twice as much space on a belt as a copper plate (because one plate makes two wires) so they're actually pretty hard to shuttle around, I just find it easier to turn copper into wire on demand, even if it means my copper wire assemblers sit idle most of the time.

I'm hoping the latest update fixed the "inserters pause on cargo trains" bug, because using them as GIANT FEEDER CHESTS saves a shitload of space, especially when dealing with copper wire.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

AuxPriest posted:

These designs are so hot.

Is there any reason to stockpile copper wiring, say on it's own belt? Or is it best just to do the above and directly feed it into something?

The only time i use is copper wire on its own belt is for adv circuits:

Adv circuits take 4 wire, but takes 8 seconds to craft an adv circuit. So it never has been much of an issue.

If anyone is good at modding you should make a mod where you can craft eletrical poles with lights on top of it. I am pretty sure this is not possible though.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

UberJumper posted:

The only time i use is copper wire on its own belt is for adv circuits:

Adv circuits take 4 wire, but takes 8 seconds to craft an adv circuit. So it never has been much of an issue.

If anyone is good at modding you should make a mod where you can craft eletrical poles with lights on top of it. I am pretty sure this is not possible though.

It is and it isn't. Entity types at the moment are kinda hard-code-y, so adding tweaking values of stuff is easy but adding new behavior [combinations] is really hit and miss (mostly miss), so I don't think it's possible to make an electric pole that emits light (I haven't checked, but, again, "mostly miss"). However, it would be very easy to make a light entity that gets placed whenever you place an electric pole. The catch is that while there is a lua event for the player placing items, there isn't one for construction bots. So a blueprint-placed electric pole wouldn't get a light attached.

This is the way a lot of custom behavior is done in mods (by keeping track of specific items when placed), so at least people who use mods would be semi-familiar with the whole "this is special, won't work with bots" concept.

fake edit: while there isn't a fast way to scan for objects, there is a lightning fast ( O(1) ) way to get the global count of a specific object, so (especially for a cosmetic thing like lights) you could write a function that spam-checked for inconsistency between this number and its own count and then while it knew it was missing some, checked the area within a generous range (enough to cover the player's visual surroundings) of the player for light-less poles, and it probably wouldn't be too terrible of a performance hit. Might be worth coding as an exercise, really.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So the biggest bottleneck I'm trying to solve right now is how to research things quickly. Currently I can have some machines automate the crap out of the red science flasks, but the green ones are still a bit beyond me.. Is there an easy way to do this?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Shintaro posted:

It is and it isn't. Entity types at the moment are kinda hard-code-y, so adding tweaking values of stuff is easy but adding new behavior [combinations] is really hit and miss (mostly miss), so I don't think it's possible to make an electric pole that emits light (I haven't checked, but, again, "mostly miss"). However, it would be very easy to make a light entity that gets placed whenever you place an electric pole. The catch is that while there is a lua event for the player placing items, there isn't one for construction bots. So a blueprint-placed electric pole wouldn't get a light attached.

This is the way a lot of custom behavior is done in mods (by keeping track of specific items when placed), so at least people who use mods would be semi-familiar with the whole "this is special, won't work with bots" concept.

fake edit: while there isn't a fast way to scan for objects, there is a lightning fast ( O(1) ) way to get the global count of a specific object, so (especially for a cosmetic thing like lights) you could write a function that spam-checked for inconsistency between this number and its own count and then while it knew it was missing some, checked the area within a generous range (enough to cover the player's visual surroundings) of the player for light-less poles, and it probably wouldn't be too terrible of a performance hit. Might be worth coding as an exercise, really.

Yeah i just tried this and made a small quick mod that placed a small-lamp entity on top of the a medium-electric-pole. It works but its pretty ugly, sadly it seems like things that make light all have this behaviour as part of their object type.

It would be really nice if most entities just had an optional light property (some do however it is tied to their specific behaviour type).

SquadronROE posted:

So the biggest bottleneck I'm trying to solve right now is how to research things quickly. Currently I can have some machines automate the crap out of the red science flasks, but the green ones are still a bit beyond me.. Is there an easy way to do this?

This is probably one of the most efficent layouts for making science. But its pretty drat ugly.

1 inserter assembler and 1 belt assembler can comfortably feed 4 x green science assemblers.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 17, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Feed iron into two factories to male gears. One of those goes into belts , the other the inserters. Belt in green circuits for the inserts have the finished products dumped onto the same line. This should feed like six assemblers making green bottles. Blue bottles are little bit harder but 3/4ths of it will be on your belts anyway so the awkward part is the smart inserters.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Been a while I’ve been playing this, but a nice (and fairly easy) way to keep your science production expandable, is to have a main buss or artery of conveyor belts to transport resources (like iron and copper plates) going in one direction (say south to north) and to branch off from there with splitters to supply every other production line. Parts and finished products go back into the artery and can then also branch off to other production areas further up the chain.

This was how that worked in my last base, red/green and a bit of the blue packs marked. I wasn't entirely happy with how this ended up because I planned my base too cramped (there's water in the north, iron fields in the south).

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

UberJumper posted:

It would be really nice if most entities just had an optional light property (some do however it is tied to their specific behaviour type).

Devs have alluded to having a generic entity type at some point in the future, but the focus isn't really on modding support at the moment. A few updates come every once in a while, but I don't expect we'll get versatile modding until near or after release.

It's also been either implied or stated that we'll also be able to tweak recipes and tech at runtime, which excites me.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I wonder what a good Factorio playlist would be. Music similar to what is in the trailer.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SquadronROE posted:

I wonder what a good Factorio playlist would be. Music similar to what is in the trailer.

THIS

In fact, pretty much anything by Raymond Scott.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

SquadronROE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCDLW7n53A

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
When I'm cutting down square miles of fortress to feed my pollution-belching machine maw, I like to play the Uruk-Hai theme.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
How do you guys handle driving through biomes with tons of annoying little plants? Drive slowly spamming shotgun or grenades in front of you? An armored car would be nice, maybe a fleet of bulldozers you can send off in a particular direction to clear a path....

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

bimmian posted:

How do you guys handle driving through biomes with tons of annoying little plants? Drive slowly spamming shotgun or grenades in front of you? An armored car would be nice, maybe a fleet of bulldozers you can send off in a particular direction to clear a path....

Agent Orange is the answer - start mass-producing poison capsules and flinging them about.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you don't use highly toxic chemical weapons as defoliants you're playing the game wrong.

Scratch that, you're playing it wrong if you don't mass produce them.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Not sure why I didn't think of doing that... Off to take revenge for a thousand blown up cars.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Any tips for harvesting large amounts of stone for late game railroads? I feel that setting up a station for one stone mine is a waste.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Krataar posted:

Any tips for harvesting large amounts of stone for late game railroads? I feel that setting up a station for one stone mine is a waste.

Set up a mining drill or two to dump directly into chests, forget about them for an hour, then drop by with a car and an empty inventory.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Finally figured out rail signals (for the most part i suppose) today, really nice when it actually works.

Now for the fun part I suppose, the only substantial oil deposits I've found are at the very south of the map below. Looks like it's hunting time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress you, game.

quote:

>>>AAAKAAgAAAADAwYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMDAgoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwMCCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDAgoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMCCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwMCBQAAAHN0b25lAwMC0f6hOio3AADYdQAAAAAAAAAAAA
ADAZzRyfc=<<<

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MrYenko posted:

gently caress you, game.

I know base64 when I see it, but I can't figure out what you're trying to say.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ikanreed posted:

I know base64 when I see it, but I can't figure out what you're trying to say.

Its a map exchange seed. Factorio hates me.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

MrYenko posted:

gently caress you, game.

Haha, that's great.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But hey, look at all that oil!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I think I've had that seed or a very very similar one before. Got island locked, lots of oil nearby, and that colour of tree.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

bimmian posted:

Finally figured out rail signals (for the most part i suppose) today, really nice when it actually works.

Now for the fun part I suppose, the only substantial oil deposits I've found are at the very south of the map below. Looks like it's hunting time.

What's the use for networks like these? As a longtime TTD player I'm all about them trains, but ore deposits dry out so fast I can never justify building a proper rail system.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I find larger deposits can still last awhile for me, long enough to justify building the rail system. The majority of the work is just into the backbone, making little forks to deposits is quick and easy. If you build into a resource rich area, it easily justifies the effort, more so when you don't have whatever resource near your base. Can't imagine how I could even continue on this map without a train network to get oil alone.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Have they put bridges anywhere in their roadmap yet?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

bimmian posted:

I find larger deposits can still last awhile for me, long enough to justify building the rail system. The majority of the work is just into the backbone, making little forks to deposits is quick and easy. If you build into a resource rich area, it easily justifies the effort, more so when you don't have whatever resource near your base. Can't imagine how I could even continue on this map without a train network to get oil alone.

True, I hadn't thought of that. Though when I think about laying out a long-rear end track in this game, "quick and easy" are definitely not the first words that come to mind.

Mind sharing a couple screenshots?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I should have known better when I started this game, but I stuck it out like a moron for nearly 18 hours:

I think I accidentally turned the biter bases up to maximum because holy poo poo. And this is with Dytech Warfare so Big Biters are just the beginning.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
So, I heard from a little bird that modders will finally have write-access to fluid data in the next major version. And we might be getting build/mine events for bots soon, too.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shintaro posted:

So, I heard from a little bird that modders will finally have write-access to fluid data in the next major version. And we might be getting build/mine events for bots soon, too.

Mine events for bots? So we could have flocks and flocks of mining robots?

Wait, no, it's late, you probably mean 'lua events when buildings are deconstructed'

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Mining robots would actually be a logical end-game for the mining process; drop a Remote Ore Processing Station down next to some ore spots, stuff some mining robots in it and they float out, mine nearby ore spots and return the ore to the station where it gets spat out onto a belt.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

SquadronROE posted:

Anno 2070 tycoons soundtrack, nothing alike the trailer but thematically appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pyromancer posted:

Anno 2070 tycoons soundtrack, nothing alike the trailer but thematically appropriate

Oh god yes, the soundtrack for that game was amazing. The Tycoon stuff is very, very good for the "somber industrial hellhole" feeling.