Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
You are chewing through brakes because they are getting too hot. More aggresive compounds won't help that. Find a way to keep them cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How many track days can I expect to get out of a set of HP+ on a miata? I'm at... 7? this year so far and I'm surprised at how much of the fronts I've gone through.

Rears, well, I think I'll probably get through another set of fronts before they're dead.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Aurune posted:

Beware, it's a addiction. It starts with a track day. Then a few car mods. Soon you are looking at racing schools. A little speed is never enough.

Edit: confession: This year, I said I'd do 3 race weekends. I've done 5 and have signed up for at least one more.

Oh god is it ever. I just did my first track day in my Audi A3 and that evening I was shopping for parts to combat understeer and ruin it as a daily driver while shopping Miatas on Autotrader.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Cooling ducts for sure. If they're not significantly more expensive and area available in your pad shape, you could also try the CL RC6E, which is their endurance racing specific pad. Essex parts would be the place to ask.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to Sonoma Raceway tomorrow for the norcal shelby mini-nats, and to satisfy their requirements for a 4-point I installed the Schroth quick fit pro. It isn't as good as a full bucket/harness setup but it's better than the stock setup and easy to install/remove.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Does that use factory pickups or did use some form of harness bar?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

rotard posted:

Does that use factory pickups or did use some form of harness bar?

It uses the factory mounting points and belt latches, makes for easy installation and removal. I considered a harness bar but I lacked the time to get all the stuff necessary. It might get a GTS rollbar and some more aggressive seats in the future.

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

You are chewing through brakes because they are getting too hot. More aggresive compounds won't help that. Find a way to keep them cool.

Thank for the advice, it's even worse than I thought after checking with my teammate today, we already ARE running Carbotech RP2 pads in front. And going through them way faster that we should be. So we definitely need to get them ducted. I might still look into the Raybestos ST-43, I've also heard good things about the Performance Friction PFC-08 but their site pulls up nada for my car.

I also found this thread on the Chump board, seems like several teams with heavier and faster cars like ours have had similar problems with the RP2s

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/9401-brake-pads-for-24-hour-race/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Finally got the approval for time off from my boss, went to go sign up for 2 days at Watkins Glen at the end of the month... and it's full :negative:

Genuinely pissed off after a really lovely past 2 weeks of stupid, unfortunate car trouble.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sab669 posted:

Finally got the approval for time off from my boss, went to go sign up for 2 days at Watkins Glen at the end of the month... and it's full :negative:

Genuinely pissed off after a really lovely past 2 weeks of stupid, unfortunate car trouble.
I forgot what you drive but I know youre in buffalo, you ever go to any car shows/cruise nights?

Also were you using that website I give you a while ago to find a track day or were you using something else?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cage posted:

I forgot what you drive but I know youre in buffalo, you ever go to any car shows/cruise nights?

Also were you using that website I give you a while ago to find a track day or were you using something else?

in the Amherst area would be me. I generally don't know... anything about this area, so no- don't know when or where they are.

And yea, I was looking at the trackmaster site.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Nice car! Closer than I thought too, I live in west seneca. Theres a drag strip/track not far from you called "Elegant Builders Raceway". On wednesday they have a cruise night/car show where you can also race for $5 per or $20 unlimited.

Today after work I was gonna head to Strikers bowling alley in west seneca/orchard park, they have a car show every friday. Havent gone yet but my coworker says they get a good crowd.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, not huge on just drag strips / ovals :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well yeah its no watkins glen but its 10 min away. I dont go for the racing so much, just to chat and see the cars. And beer.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Dropped 2 seconds of my pb at Auto Club Speedway :rock: Camber bolts are working pretty good.

drat valve stem leaking again, ordering metal clamp ins is my next mod.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Dropped 2 seconds of my pb at Auto Club Speedway :rock: Camber bolts are working pretty good.

drat valve stem leaking again, ordering metal clamp ins is my next mod.

Hey I was just there too, blue S2000 in black group. What were you driving?

Had a pretty fun day, I was mostly just dicking around and giving rides to people. I smoked my cat though, was losing power all day until it was just totally broken on my last session. Oh well, any track day is a fun track day!

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Smurf blue Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBmj6WWN0o

That was my "fastest" clean lap, but I definitely had quicker times on the table that traffic slowed down. I'm at the point where that chicane at 7/8 is more fun than scary to haul rear end through. Its slow in the video, I'm more on the throttle through my quicker dirty laps.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Was that with speedventures? I wanted to attend, but for some reason they had the day advertised as a CCW course. That racerender overlay is neat, especially the map overlay. Gotta look into that!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

McSpatula posted:

Was that with speedventures? I wanted to attend, but for some reason they had the day advertised as a CCW course. That racerender overlay is neat, especially the map overlay. Gotta look into that!

Ya, SV. ACS is always CCW...CW would be loving hilarious though and now I want to do it. You'd be coming into the complex at like 160mph

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Herp derp, brainfarted. I had CW and CCW pathing mixed up in my head. Now I feel :downs:.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
This is why they tell you to stay in your loving car unless it's on fire. Even if you feel the need to get out you need to keep your poo poo under control. What an idiot.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Joe Mama posted:

This is why they tell you to stay in your loving car unless it's on fire. Even if you feel the need to get out you need to keep your poo poo under control. What an idiot.

Nobody really deserves to die for being a dumb rear end. That being said, yes, he did a very stupid thing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Smurf blue Mustang
What are you using to datalog?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Some guy got out of his car during an HPDE I was at, right at the track-out after the 2nd fastest straight. I kinda expected the session to get red flagged (this was the beginner group), but it didn't. I bet he got a stern talking-to, though. Was pretty unnerving to see.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

ilkhan posted:

What are you using to datalog?

Harry's Lap Timer

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Harry's Lap Timer
Cool, I'll look into that.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I also have the Skypro XGPS160 you can see on my dash for 10hz resolution but that is optional.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Aurune posted:

Nobody really deserves to die for being a dumb rear end. That being said, yes, he did a very stupid thing.

Yeah, I'm sure he was just expecting to yell a couple choice words at close range but poo poo. And, rightfully so, people are going to be endlessly debating what the hell Tony was doing when he hit the guy.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

I picked up this beast on the weekend.

You may remember, 4 years ago a friend and I did most of the work building it into a LeMons car (in a team of 6) and did one race. We decided we didn't like being the only mechanics and let the rest of the guys have it.

They did a few more races and it sat for 2 years until they lost the storage space.

I bought it from them and plan to start racing the gently caress out of it! Plans are for Arse-Freeze-apalooza 2014

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Is this the Honda!?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How not to drive your McLaren on a track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYGCeRjOcaY

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Do they not have any marshalls or something?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TrueChaos posted:

How not to drive your McLaren on a track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYGCeRjOcaY

Times like this (assuming open track day or similar) I just pull into the hot pits then go back out. Gives you a lap or two of fun before you catch up to the idiot again.

Of course he should have been flagged (black or blue) for holding up traffic like that.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I put the blame for poo poo like that on the organizers.

I did a weekend with Track Daze in their intermediate group a few weeks ago. They originally had it posted that they were going to do 4 run groups, I signed up for the 2nd to highest since I haven't run full course VIR in a year or so. They then squashed it down to 3 run groups and didn't ask anyone where they would like to be placed.

Now a completely stock powered Miata should get stomped on VIR full course. However, I can't post a single full session's video because I gesture to the corner workers or other drivers in every one after getting stuck behind drivers that don't pay attention to what's behind them.

Here was the worst session. Also keep in mind all of our classroom sessions were basically the decent drivers complaining about the lack of passing signals. Pay attention to the lap numbers.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

extreme_accordion posted:

Is this the Honda!?

Yeah 93 CB7 Accord woot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Times like this (assuming open track day or similar) I just pull into the hot pits then go back out. Gives you a lap or two of fun before you catch up to the idiot again.

Of course he should have been flagged (black or blue) for holding up traffic like that.

The end of the video he says it cost him a qualifying session. It looks like that was a Time Attack day.

But yeah, should've pulled into pits. I'm sure it's easy to let your ego get the best of you when you're in a Civic about to stomp a McLaren though

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
McLaren guy is a dumbass but the Hondas don't know how to race time attack. All you need is 1-2 clean laps so if traffic is a problem you can usually get to grid earlier or time when you go out better. When there are a ton of cars or you are in a slower group that can be hard though. I was always there with fast cars and everyone knew what they were doing so it was rarely a problem.

I think the maddest I've ever been was at the modified tuner shootout a couple of years ago and they messed up sending out cars for the time attack session so we caught the last car while going for the overall record. I should have told the driver to stop on the front straight until they sent out the rest of the cars. Instead I sort of yelled at a magazine guy which is generally not a good thing to do if you ever want to be in it again. I guess it doesn't matter since they don't even exist anymore.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Comscc is doing 2 days at wgi the very beginning of sept and there are only 47 registrations as of now if you still need a fix.... Its a mon/tues deal

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ohh, that's tempting. Looks like it'd be $450 as a newbie for 2 days? That's a lot cheaper than trackmasters was. What would I register my car as, it's bone stock aside from the wheels. I can't seem to find the specifications that differentiate the different Touring tiers.

e; Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 18, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Used my NT01s and beat my previous lap record by almost 2 seconds. Not bad for tires with ~40 autoX runs by me and 4 trackdays on the POs 335i.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFMnK7bqlmI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Just thought I'd swing by here and let any local/nearby Bowling Green AIers know that the NCM track will be opening on the 28th of this month. Lots of things going on the first three days, but on the 28th they're doing a free Chevy Ride N' Drive event from 10:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will also include one free lap around the track in a C7 Stingray via professional driver.