Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

my pog boyfriend posted:

Yeah, it's not like I think Soraka is bad, she's given me a hard time on more than a few occasions and on 2 of my 4 main ADC picks I can really appreciate her but a lot of people don't know how to make use of Soraka's talents and blame the character/player for the complete lack of botlane synergy. Synergy with your lane partner is one of the most understated elements of lane control and Soraka has a tendency to get out of sync because her extremely long term strategy of slowly piling up advantages in lane doesn't work with some "we kill then we back" ADC players.
I guess that makes sense. Usually when people object I switch the supp because even if I think she'd be strong in the lane/game it's more worth it to me to match my adc's playstyle, but I really feel like slow wins are super underrated in league. Playing characters that just slowly snowball as long as you don't make a terrible mistake is the best way to get long win streaks in my experience. The games are less swingy and usually it's just a matter of obtaining an advantage and smothering the other team with it. I really hope as I get higher in ranks I'll stop playing with people who just randomly run through the jungle and duel whoever they stumble into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ArbitraryC posted:

I really hope as I get higher in ranks I'll stop playing with people who just randomly run through the jungle and duel whoever they stumble into.

I have bad news.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Transient People posted:

They fill different roles. Manamune is an item for AD casters, who need to be able to spam thirty spells in as many seconds to win lane. Reaver is supposed to be an item for ability heavy carries, whose abilities tend to be spammed, but over a much more protracted period. It's just that Reaver is too lovely to be good, that's all.

I can only think of the ER being really good on someone like Ez or Jayce and MM has only ever been useful on ashe or ez for me too, So i dont understand why they don't get rid of 2 (in my opinion) lacking items and make 1 better combined from them both.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Brannock posted:

I have bad news.
Does that poo poo ever stop? I mean in my unranked games I regularly played with people who were silver/gold/plat but you'd always have someone employing the "run around randomly and duel people while refusing to group" strategy. I'm thinking now that I'm ranked I might wanna look for a team to play with or something, I have a friend I always duo with who placed gold 3 with me and some other friends I like to play with while stoned but are kinda bad but I was thinking it might be nice to have a consistent 5 man to practice with.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Does that poo poo ever stop? I mean in my unranked games I regularly played with people who were silver/gold/plat but you'd always have someone employing the "run around randomly and duel people while refusing to group" strategy. I'm thinking now that I'm ranked I might wanna look for a team to play with or something, I have a friend I always duo with who placed gold 3 with me and some other friends I like to play with while stoned but are kinda bad but I was thinking it might be nice to have a consistent 5 man to practice with.

In challenger. In Korea. Maybe.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Does that poo poo ever stop?

I will never forget the time watching Dyrus's stream I watch one of the top challenger support players on Alistar just randomly tank 4 tower shows for absolutely no loving reason. Bad decisions will always exist.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

my pog boyfriend posted:

I will never forget the time watching Dyrus's stream I watch one of the top challenger support players on Alistar just randomly tank 4 tower shows for absolutely no loving reason. Bad decisions will always exist.
I do notice after a career of unranked it was kinda nice playing ranked for my placements. Yeah there's a bit more stress to the game but people tend to play more conservatively which is nice. Also blind pick vs draft is like night and day in not just randomly showing up to lane to a terrible matchup.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Firebert posted:

Putting extra ranks into W doesn't get you much, E at least allows you better peel/chase and better all-ins pre-6.

Oh man that attack speed steroid is such a waste on an AD carry

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
To get to Plat, you have to be good at the game however you don't need to be perfect. People who duel in the jungle randomly probably normally play champions that could win those fights or have higher than plat skill in other areas and not understanding when and when not to fight is what's holding them back.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Libertine posted:

Mikael's outperforms pretty much every other support item in the game because it both nullifies mana as a problem and is the only on-demand CC removal for your squishy champions you can buy. Censer is a good 3rd/4th purchase after Gold Item/Crucible if you have a spammy healer champion (Alistar, Sona, etc.) or a very strong shield (Janna, Karma, etc.). The problem with Censer is that it is slightly weak (even on champions that use it optimally) and usually conditions exist in the game that it is outperformed at any phase by something else (usually Locket) or your team doesn't have the right champions to make the buff it provides worth it.
This was last page but I've been trying out censer on janna and nami and found the 25% attack boost to be really potent. It's cheap to build and works great (esp if you can pick up heal as a passive). It also works with items so locket/censer isn't an either/or but a great item combo to bust out because you're entire team gets a shield and an attack speed boost. On janna it actually works when she shields the turret (ie the turret gets an as boost) which is pretty funny to use on rare occasions, I killed a shaco with it once.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Out of all the non Triforce ADCs I think MF gets the least out of attack speed between double up and ult, although I'm bad and probably wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my pog boyfriend posted:

Yeah, you're playing with human beings. No matter how high up you get, they're still human: they're going to get dumb ideas in their head and stubbornly stick to them, or miss chances they could have taken, or whatever. Heck, as you get higher up and the average skill level improves, people get punished more harshly for random dumb mistakes. Stepping out of position in bronze gets you an autoattack, stepping out of position in plat gets you killed immediately.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Out of all the non Triforce ADCs I think MF gets the least out of attack speed between double up and ult, although I'm bad and probably wrong.

I think MF is actually better with Triforce than PD or SS. She has decent AP ratios on her skills, makes good use of the Phage, makes good use of the Movement Speed. Someone in this thread had recommended it and I think it is absolutely the right choice of Zeal-item on her now.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheModernAmerican posted:

At 10% per point, yes, it kind of is, compared to the huge base damage and huge slow you can get from Make it Rain. Or are you packing 200 AD at level 7?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

Yeah, you're playing with human beings. No matter how high up you get, they're still human: they're going to get dumb ideas in their head and stubbornly stick to them, or miss chances they could have taken, or whatever. Heck, as you get higher up and the average skill level improves, people get punished more harshly for random dumb mistakes. Stepping out of position in bronze gets you an autoattack, stepping out of position in plat gets you killed immediately.
I mean it's one thing to make a bad call or mistake and die to it but what I was more referencing was people who have an entire gameplan that consists of never grouping and looking for random duels in the jungle. Some of them are admittedly amazing and carry the game but 90% of the time if you have someone like that on your team is nearly an autoloss and you'd think it would get weeded out by some point.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

It is wrong. MF gets insane returns on AS because her attackspeed bases are very, very high (third highest carry period after Twitch and Draven IIRC?). AD is still your primary concern with her, but she does some incredible work after ulting if she's allowed to auto.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 18, 2014

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean it's one thing to make a bad call or mistake and die to it but what I was more referencing was people who have an entire gameplan that consists of never grouping and looking for random duels in the jungle. Some of them are admittedly amazing and carry the game but 90% of the time if you have someone like that on your team is nearly an autoloss and you'd think it would get weeded out by some point.

Looking for picks can completely swing games in your favour, though. That's how those people stay in their division, even though they have a stupid hit or miss playstyle they can hard carry games every now and then by getting 3-4 pickoffs and then just getting built as gently caress. You even said it yourself - sometimes they are amazing, but those people are literally the same people as the noobs 95% of the time. The difference is, in one of the games they are lucky, in another they aren't.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheModernAmerican posted:

She gets the steroid, her passive AD scaling, and the greivous wounds at rank 1. Ranking up W doesn't decrease the CD of the active, or increase the passive ad: it makes the active cost more mana, and gives you 10% AS per level. It's a one-point wonder now, imo.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 18, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
QTPie was talking about MF itemization and said that AS is quite literally one of the best stats you can build for her besides AD. He thought Triforce was garbage and even played a game with it where he stated he strongly disliked it.

I don't think Tri is that great of an item on MF when you can rush straight AD AS CRit and carry lord with your superior duel potential.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Last game to get a series, featuring no ADC but bot lane of Lux/Nami. I am steaming if anyone wants to watch.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just lost all but one game today. It was a rough one.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ultimate Bravery goonmans..lets do this!

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Endorph posted:

Stepping out of position in bronze gets you an autoattack

I don't think most bronze players know to do this.

People in plat still do weird stuff but they usually prioritize objectives properly and have far better judgment of what they can and can't do in a fight, or when diving or pushing or whatever.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Lucian is still lord of the ADCs and you people should totally play him.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

It never stops exactly and there are people that rode that train all the way to Platinum because, well, if you're really good at it the right champions can be a complete terror at it. It does, however, taper off. My experience has been that your average bronze player thinks that teamwork is a thing that other people do, silvers understand the concept but are frequently terrible at it, and gold players will, at the very least, do it whenever they're quite certain that it benefits them. But no, you will never escape the mid lane assassin that gets eight kills before the first tower goes down then just runs around randomly trying to get more kills.

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture
What support ults are good for stealing things? I've stolen a dragon and Baron with Nami ult, a Dragon with Sona ult and just today a Baron with Leona ult, but what other things can i throw at one of them randomly to steal?

And before anyone mentions it yes I have seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBThR2-sM0I.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

fnox posted:

Lucian is still lord of the ADCs and you people should totally play him.

I don't think he's necessarily the 'lord' of the ADCs, considering how long games go these days Tristy and Kog are probably the best of the best, but if you want a mid-game power spike I think he has probably one of the best, bar-none.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

ArbitraryC posted:

It stops when you reach diamond team 5v5.

In fact, roaming the unwarded jungle is one of my favorite activities, please do not hobby shame

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Been playing more support than normal lately and it's a position I really need to practice. How do you guys run the more unusual AP supports like Karma or Vel'Koz?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
As much AP as possible, reluctantly buy support items

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Karma is unusual?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
My experience with non-meta supports are gently caress gold generation item, buy dorans, hit level 2 first and all in.

That was such bullshit for purple side when the other team could farm double golems to guarantee level 2 first and get two easy kills with something cheesy like Pantheon or LeBlanc support.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

lilspooky posted:

Been playing more support than normal lately and it's a position I really need to practice. How do you guys run the more unusual AP supports like Karma or Vel'Koz?
Try out Annie as well, she's really easy to hit her abilities with, especially when compared to Karma and Vel'Koz

Spellthief -> Sight Stone then pretty much build like any AP carry.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lilspooky posted:

For Vel'Koz I generally figure it's just a standard support item, sightstone, Liandry's, then support crap. He can poo poo out obscene amounts of damage with little more than 40% CDR and a creepy mask. You want a Mana Font passive on him so getting a crucible is a good idea. He works fine with a typical AP support build. In the laser squid's case, though, picking him as a support is very situational. He doesn't do very well in a very aggressive, all in lane in that he's very heavy poke. He's squishy as hell, slow, and has no escapes so if you plan on pushing hard he's a lovely pick. However, he's good if your plan is to constantly Q down lane and tell the other team "no, YOU stay over THERE" while you keep your ADC safe. He can shove Leona off pretty well, for example. He'll work just fine in a poke comp and can counter initiations. He does, however, tend to starve ADCs of kill gold.

Coin is also good for laser squid in that an upgraded talisman lets you and your ADC get the hell away. Spellthief works too though in that laser squid works best by being long-range harass in lane.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tried some GNAR jungle tonight, had a really good time with it. I'm not sure if it's actually legit or not but he can do some work if you can survive his first 2-3 backs (his first clear is trash tier awful and he chugs potions well into level 6.)

Seeing an enemy chasing mini-Gnar into a bush only to find out he's turned into mega-Gnar while he's thrown into a wall, stunned, and pelted to death with houses is my new favorite thing in LOL. Extra funny when it's Teemo!

(Dino-Gnar is an amazing skin, way better than any of the recent release skins.)

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Scoreboard.jpg

Queued up for dominion, got distracted, and didn't dodge when some one on our team picked Shaco. Was generally beating Ahri in bot lane but had Leona and Rengar roaming down into my lane constantly because that's what happens when you have a Shaco on your team. I switched out with Annie and went top, with ~50 v 350 tickets left and the enemy capping our mid point. Murdered them all, captured top, and continued murdering the enemy team until we won. We never lost another ticket after that, and I went on a 15 kill spree until the game ended.

:feelsgood:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hahaha holy poo poo that Ahri quote. :feelsgood: alright

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Brannock posted:

Karma is unusual?

Err you're right, dunno why I said that. :haw:

Flameingblack posted:

Try out Annie as well, she's really easy to hit her abilities with, especially when compared to Karma and Vel'Koz

Spellthief -> Sight Stone then pretty much build like any AP carry.

Ok that's basically what I was doing with Vel'Koz tonight. Worked out ok for the most part.

For some reason I've always had the hardest time getting Annie to click. A large part of it, I think, is her really short range. I'll occasionally have a good game with her but it's usually on ARAM. I'll give it more work though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

lilspooky posted:

Err you're right, dunno why I said that. :haw:

Ok that's basically what I was doing with Vel'Koz tonight. Worked out ok for the most part.

For some reason I've always had the hardest time getting Annie to click. A large part of it, I think, is her really short range. I'll occasionally have a good game with her but it's usually on ARAM. I'll give it more work though.
You decide if you want to max Q (Distance stun) or W (Cone stun) first, you always keep your stun on 3 or 4 stacks, and you initiate hard and often. It's like playing Leona in low elo, just go all in, all day if you've got the advantage and bully them out of lane with her good damage. Annie's AA range is absurd too, so take advantage of that as well. Then when you get tibber, flash stun all day, there's almost no harder engage if you're support.

If you get good with Annie all your ADC is there to do is absorb CS while you farm champion kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Flameingblack posted:

You decide if you want to max Q (Distance stun) or W (Cone stun) first, you always keep your stun on 3 or 4 stacks, and you initiate hard and often. It's like playing Leona in low elo, just go all in, all day if you've got the advantage and bully them out of lane with her good damage. Annie's AA range is absurd too, so take advantage of that as well. Then when you get tibber, flash stun all day, there's almost no harder engage if you're support.

If you get good with Annie all your ADC is there to do is absorb CS while you farm champion kills.

Not anymore, it got nerfed many patches ago.

• Locked thread