Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

coffeetable posted:

ive posted it before, but this was my first software project

http://andyljones.github.io/shallow-fluid-model (give it ~20 days to accumulate some interesting behaviour. or just hold down to make a vortex)

when i started, i expected my original vision to take two or three months to implement. by the time i finished six months later, the concept had been stripped down to its very bones

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
so i took a short little break from my f-15 model, and now i'm back and made some nice progress!

first thing i did was paint and assemble the cockpit parts. this is the lower part, seated and with the plastic cement drying. the joystick goes in the chair, which goes in the lower assembly, which are attached to the lower half of the fuselage

and the top half has the instrument panel applied. that's a decal applied to the painted surface. applying decals is surprisingly easy! just soak them in warm water, put it on the surface, and slide out the thicker backing paper, leaving the actual clear decal behind. this was done before i glued the actual panel piece in, as applying it after the fact would have been a pain

to help the two halves of the fuselage stick together, i decided to use some hobby clamps of mine. plastic cement doesn't take very long to dry. unfortunately, it's also a noxious chemical and likes to seep out from between pieces, where it fucks up the paint. as a result, i'll have to do some touch ups with liquid primer before i get around to actually painting with the airbrush

current status. the nosecone, wings, and air intakes have been cemented in place. this marks the first half of the plane being done. after this, the second half begins, which includes gear assemblies, cockpit and airbrake flap, weapon pylons, and spare fuel tank. all of these pieces are tiny, and will require painting by hand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey so if you're bored and you got windows you can download this and give it a go. i'd appreciate all the criticism, tell me this idea is worthless and i should give up now etc. are the graphics "too much" for what it is? art direction styupid? doesnt work at all? frame rate sucks? most importantly how are the controls? (its the arrow keys by the way)

so far this is ONE level, a very simple goal and the collision detection (to make you fail the level) isnt working. you'll flash a bright colour if you hit something going too fast (in case you were wondering why that was happening)

this is a self extracting archive, use winrar to open it if you dont trust that
i dont have any idea if this will even work on any otehr computer, or wherthjer it needs DX installed or anything. it works on mine, thats all i know
https://mega.co.nz/#!eFongQ6T!W6CxqQDsI1RYoruW8o7xcdUG-e4k2AuGuxWjxFr4wa4 115mb

oh and yeah you'll have to use the task manager to kill the task. :rolleyes:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
my PC isn't hooked up right now (LOL Mac snob) so I can't try it out, but shine on you crazy diamond.

making games is fun, seeing your poo poo move around on screen is super rewarding.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks

its hard to judge your own work you know? much like judging the music you make. i guess if you give it time and come back to it you can be a bit more objective

but i find myself boosting around in my rocket just for fun.. it can't be that bad

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
if you find yourself playing your own game for fun then i'd say it's coming along nicely

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
And because gently caress It, I went ahead and finished my Game-in-a-Weekend and submitted it to the app store.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 18, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
my greatest creation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXIEbCnqjMc

look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it puts a smile on my face doc mcstuffins

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doc Block posted:

if you find yourself playing your own game for fun then i'd say it's coming along nicely

what if my idea of fun is football manager, studying dead languages, and dota

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
combine them into your own game

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

a moba called administrator pediludii where 5th century britons try to kick human skulls at towers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
start the kickstarter

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I just ordered some rasp pis to make some environmental sensors for various places I have servers.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Is there a reason you're using Pis? I guess it's cool that they have built in ethernet, but you can do a lot of sensor poo poo with super cheap MSP430 or STM32 dev boards. the MSP430Gxxs even have a built in temperature sensor

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you'd be connecting them over USB/serial though so I can see going raspi if you need ethernet (ethernet modules for micros are super expensive)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its hard to write python targeting msp430s

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or nodejs or whatever

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Silver Alicorn posted:

(ethernet modules for micros are super expensive)
pretty much every good idea i have ever had was ruined by this fact.

NICs are so cheap but ethernet modules are so loving expensive :mad:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

its hard to write python targeting msp430s

just use asm it's so EASY

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

pretty much every good idea i have ever had was ruined by this fact.

NICs are so cheap but ethernet modules are so loving expensive :mad:

I have a couple of sample ENC28J60s I still need to figure out how to use. pretty sure making the reference design & printing boards w/ seeeeeeed would still be cheaper than buying a premade module

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
It's basically the ethernet bit, and already having accessibility to things so the pi can auto email me if poo poo gets wank.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

just use asm it's so EASY

idk man the msp430 isa is p poo poo id rather use c

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

C is even easier!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol if you don't program your microcontroller with embedded .net

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
if you have not played bob came in pieces you really should pick it up

like I feel dumb for suggesting it because it's so obvious but I don't think you mentioned it at all

it has that kind of 2d rocket flight, + physics puzzles + really neat customization and still didn't end up being very good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can get a china special ethernet module off aliexpress for like 4-6 dollars if your micro has enough spare power to drive it

or same deal with nrf24l01s, which turn out to be even cheaper, but they take a surprising amount of flash, like 4k if you want a good packet system. and of course you need to build some kinda base station then too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Cool posted:

if you have not played bob came in pieces you really should pick it up

like I feel dumb for suggesting it because it's so obvious but I don't think you mentioned it at all

it has that kind of 2d rocket flight, + physics puzzles + really neat customization and still didn't end up being very good

never heard of it, will look it up thanks :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that game looks.. wellp it ismuch more ambitious than anything i had planned. i was hoping to focus a bit more omn the rocket part of it tho. thanks. maybe i should kill myself

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

maybe i should kill myself

meanwhile in my world, I'm studying a chapter in this book every couple of days. it's probably because I've studied Spanish and therefore a lot of the vocabulary and concept of inflected verbs don't seem as foreign (ho ho) but I'm not really finding it that difficult. looking up and working backwards to figure out how you go from Latin term X to modern term X (potis sum "I am able" in old Latin contracts to -> possum in Classical Latin, which had an incomplete and irregular conjugation so scribes made up the infinitive -> podere in late Latin which simplifies to -> poder in Romance languages) is pretty interesting.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tbh dont yak shave your network stack just use a rpi

shitass tiny micros should not be the default choice, they should be a decision with intent, usually "god loving dammit i need to manage every last picojoule in this system"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

meanwhile in my world, I'm studying a chapter in this book every couple of days. it's probably because I've studied Spanish and therefore a lot of the vocabulary and concept of inflected verbs don't seem as foreign (ho ho) but I'm not really finding it that difficult. looking up and working backwards to figure out how you go from Latin term X to modern term X (potis sum "I am able" in old Latin contracts to -> possum in Classical Latin, which had an incomplete and irregular conjugation so scribes made up the infinitive -> podere in late Latin which simplifies to -> poder in Romance languages) is pretty interesting.

we had to do derivations & its v useful

it expands ur vocabulary a lot but then that is used to post in yospos

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

here i post, i can do no other *nails 95 feces to yospos*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats neat. i dont understand any of it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

you know how the pl thread gets all crazy about certain subjects? same but renaissance scholars and medieval latin instead of neckbeards and computer

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Luigi Thirty posted:

you know how the pl thread gets all crazy about certain subjects? same but renaissance scholars and medieval latin instead of neckbeards and computer

I thought about the pl thread the other day when I was reading about the time when the linguists academy banned all discussion on the subject of the origin of human language.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

I thought about the pl thread the other day when I was reading about the time when the linguists academy banned all discussion on the subject of the origin of human language.

sort of, renaissance guys thought of medieval latin as the equivalent of txt speak and the romance languages as garbage (they come from vulgar latin, not classical latin and were contaminated with grossness from romance languages)) and spent a very long time attempting to reconstruct the rules of classical latin from ancient books and grammar manuals.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

medieval latin as the equivalent of txt speak

p much

Luigi Thirty posted:

spent a very long time attempting to reconstruct the rules of classical latin from ancient books and grammar manuals.

good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe someone can help me with some 2d vector math

i am trying to compare the velocity of an object to the angle it is facing relative to that velocity

if it was normalised to 1 to -1 then the result would be 1 if the thing was facing the same direction it was going, and if it was facing completely backwards it would be -1

(i wuld then multiply this by the actual one dimensional velocity so the effect was the same for all angle at 0 velocity and large at high velocities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so you want to do a dot product with an eigenvector