Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I may be recalling wrong, but there was a MAX story-line where the villain managed to convince Frank and an entire small town that Frank had killed an innocent. I'm pretty sure Frank was on the verge of suicide before he found out he was tricked.
At the end of an Ennis story there were 3 Punisher inspired "heroes". Frank slaughtered them all for different reasons, one of them because he accidentally killed 3 innocent people.

Punisher only doesn't kill innocent people because of the power of plot, but he doesn't ever kill innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Lurdiak posted:

That's so lame. Is every character on the roster going to no-sell the penance stare through technicalities? It's supposed to make you feel the weight of your sins, you're not supposed to be able to wiggle out of it due to your mindset.

I'm remembering the Ghost Rider encounter from McDuffie's run on Deathlok.

(important background info: Michael Collins, a pacifist robotics expert, discovered that his research was being used to make Deathlok murder machines, so he told his bosses. His bosses weren't as surprised as he thought they'd be; they then decided it would be sadistically fun to murder him and use his brain to run a Deathlok. Except he hadn't told them about the back door he'd left in the system, so he was able to eventually escape their control, set the "WHEN TO KILL TARGET" parameter on the Deathlok's OS to "ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER EVER", etc etc.)

Ghost Rider confronts Deathlok/Collins. Says I WILL GIVE YOU THE PENANCE STARE.

Deathlok/Collins says, go ahead.

<PENANCE STARE IS IMPOSED>

and we see... Collins, as an eight-year-old boy, running from a supermarket with a stolen candy bar.

and we see... Collins, getting a speeding ticket while his wife is in labor.

and we see... Ghost Rider, looking confused.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fatherdog posted:

This is actually a call-back. Ghost-rider penance-stared him at some point (I think in the late 90's) with exactly the same effect.

The key difference was that Danny Ketch didn't actually do a Penance Stare, and informed Frank that if he'd done it for real, he would have exploded. Frank worked himself into a STEEL MIND DEFENSE over nothing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The key difference was that Danny Ketch didn't actually do a Penance Stare, and informed Frank that if he'd done it for real, he would have exploded. Frank worked himself into a STEEL MIND DEFENSE over nothing.

Was this in the same issue, because if not it sounds more like two writers getting into a pissing contest, a la Ennis and that one Wolverine writer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anyway, "I regret nothing" does not absolve you of sinfulness in any way. I mean, if that was all it took...

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

OldTennisCourt posted:

I may be recalling wrong, but there was a MAX story-line where the villain managed to convince Frank and an entire small town that Frank had killed an innocent. I'm pretty sure Frank was on the verge of suicide before he found out he was tricked.

Punisher: Girls in White Dresses

Punisher thought he killed a little girl, and his dialogue was pretty straight forward -- 'there are casualties of war; i killed a innocent; I must be punished'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Anyway, "I regret nothing" does not absolve you of sinfulness in any way. I mean, if that was all it took...

It's pretty much the same thing as that time Joker got hit with fear gas and it didn't work on him because he's NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING!!!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty much the same thing as that time Joker got hit with fear gas and it didn't work on him because he's NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING!!!

I recall some story where everyone got de-powered and Joker became sane.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Also this 'knockback' Frank got is from being free of the chains that are strangling him in the first three panels.

Someone should post the next few pages, tho, IIRC he no-sells the spirit of vengeance real hard.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm pretty sure it was in a Punisher issue. Specifically, during some storyline with a roving biker fortress made out of a bunch of trucks driving in formation. Anyways, it's been a while so I might be wrong, but after Frank drat near has an aneurysm resisting the "penance stare", Danny shoves him off and basically says "if that was actually a penance stare, you wouldn't be alive to know it". Things might've gone down differently on the Ghost Rider titles.

qntm posted:

I'm going to say it's probably none, to his knowledge.

I can't find the issue, but there was the time that Frank blew a family minivan up with a remote control mine and beat himself up while letting the badguys take the blame. Plus, if we count indirect cause, one of the recurring themes of the '80s-'90s comics was Punisher burying his guilt over all of the innocents he got horribly murdered in the wake of his "war". Then in one of the first issues of his early '90s series (again, iirc) he gunned down a family in the park.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd imagine going to Heaven and becoming an angel or whatever the gently caress that was, probably wiped the slate clean.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You only need to go back a dozen pages in this very thread to find a similar example in comics writing to the Punisher being able to resist the Penance Stare, this one being Doom being judged by Bast.

Trundel posted:

More Doom panels! In Doomwar, Doctor Doom attempts to steal Wakanda's largest vibranium stockpile and has to submit himself to Bast in order to access it.

That's some drat good Doom.

It's an old cliche to have some character show off how strong their will is or some such thing. Personally I don't like it very much since it's kind of lazy writing, it feels contrived just for the sake of spoonfeeding to the audience how awesome a character is. There's nothing especially clever about it even if executed well. It's also usually an exercise in self-seriousness and involves lots of shots of grim people pulling grim faces while posing as we bask in their supposed badassery.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I think it's OK to emphasize major traits of a character. When a character's attitude becomes preternaturally powerful it's a little silly. But then, comics.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm OK with Doom being so stubborn he can beat fundamental forces of nature, but Punisher is just a man. But that's just me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't that lead to Scarecrow getting beaten with a chair immediately afterwards? Because it was worth it for that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

redbackground posted:

Didn't that lead to Scarecrow getting beaten with a chair immediately afterwards? Because it was worth it for that.

Speaking of, I liked the time he gassed Judge Death and poor Sidney freaked out imagining himself to be in a room full of adorable and cuddly stuffed toys.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

Yeah:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Being near all the gasses he normally uses, it might be he's just got a massive tolerance for mind-control drugs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Being near all the gasses he normally uses, it might be he's just got a massive tolerance for mind-control drugs.

According to Morrison the Joker is immune to pretty much every poison.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there something about Joker Gas and Fear Toxin being similar?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't there something about Joker Gas and Fear Toxin being similar?

No, that was Joker Venom and Red Skull's Dust of Death.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'm OK with Doom being so stubborn he can beat fundamental forces of nature, but Punisher is just a man. But that's just me.

I agree.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ha, what's this from? I like the dialogue.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Ha, what's this from?

Knightfall.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Knightfall.
Specifically, Detective Comics 664.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 18, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Knightfall had some really good storyarcs, and it was quite a unique story before Arkham got destroyed every second week storylines happened. It was nice to see Bruce get pushed to the ultimate limit and such with something mundane like having to face all his rogues at once. Then stuff like Hush happened and it just felt so diluted.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

I see it more as Doom completely bullshitting a god, which is awesome on its own right but not necessarily a superpower.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Alhazred posted:

According to Morrison the Joker is immune to pretty much every poison.

See that scene in the prose issue where a mosquito bites him, drinks his blood, and dies. More of a badass paragraph than a panel, I suppose.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

SlothBear posted:

I see it more as Doom completely bullshitting a god, which is awesome on its own right but not necessarily a superpower.

Doom got lucky in that instance, because the Black Panther lineage would *also* have to pass that test. As we've seen in other books, the Black Panthers aren't above doing some heinous poo poo for the benefit of Wakanda. So it has to be a 'purity of intention' test rather than a 'are you a horrible person' test, because otherwise the intended users wouldn't be able to pass the test either.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dammit Who? posted:

Doom got lucky in that instance, because the Black Panther lineage would *also* have to pass that test. As we've seen in other books, the Black Panthers aren't above doing some heinous poo poo for the benefit of Wakanda. So it has to be a 'purity of intention' test rather than a 'are you a horrible person' test, because otherwise the intended users wouldn't be able to pass the test either.

That makes a whole lot of sense. :eng101:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I really have no problem with The Joker being immune to mind affecting drugs, since even the most mundane depictions of him operate on the assumption his brain is pretty loving broken.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Context: Modesty has been captured by an international assassination ring.

She is not impressed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

(He beat up the pile of ninja on the last page earlier in the issue.)

TMNT 11

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It's been posted before, but there was a bunch of Doctor Doom talk, so I wanted to see this again.

I can't find the page where Ben crushes Victor's hands, though. :(
Edit: found it. (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/08/26/a-year-of-cool-comic-book-moments-day-238/) :neckbeard:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 19, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Skwirl posted:

I really have no problem with The Joker being immune to mind affecting drugs, since even the most mundane depictions of him operate on the assumption his brain is pretty loving broken.

Origin story of being dunked in a vat of mystery chemicals. He invented, probably involves some exposure to, joker venom, regularly hangs out with people who indiscriminately sprays a cocktail of aerosolized narcotics and god knows what else and is constantly being tranquilized, drugged, chemically straightjacketed by Arkham and shot with whatever ''antidote'' Batman feels it's necessary to inject him with that week. Oh, and he goes house hunting in carnival themed superfund sites.

His ability to process toxins probably came from lots and lots and lots of practice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

CoolCab posted:

Origin story of being dunked in a vat of mystery chemicals. He invented, probably involves some exposure to, joker venom, regularly hangs out with people who indiscriminately sprays a cocktail of aerosolized narcotics and god knows what else and is constantly being tranquilized, drugged, chemically straightjacketed by Arkham and shot with whatever ''antidote'' Batman feels it's necessary to inject him with that week. Oh, and he goes house hunting in carnival themed superfund sites.

His ability to process toxins probably came from lots and lots and lots of practice.

He spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

CoolCab posted:

He's also meant to be glow-in-the-dark, but no one remembers it.

http://comicsalliance.com/bizarro-back-issues-joker-public-luna-tic-number-one-1969/

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I don't want to spoil the contents of this week's issue of Injustice except to say the chapter is called "Gordon" because he is (and has always been, but here particularly) a stone-cold badass.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Uthor posted:

(He beat up the pile of ninja on the last page earlier in the issue.)

TMNT 11

It's interesting to reread this sequence after what's become of Alopex in the last year or so. Splinter was spot-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dammit Who? posted:

Context: Modesty has been captured by an international assassination ring.

She is not impressed.

Yeah, that's probably the most badass thing posted in ages.