Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

On the other hand, an SUV on appropriate tyres and with a driver who knows roughly what they're doing is hilarious fun in the snow. You can just romp around like a happy/demented V8 St Bernard.
Oh, agreed, but in North America the percentage of drivers of SUVs who are not aggressive to a level of suspected mental illness is approximately zero. It's a bunker mentality.

Plus a lot of the boulevard cruiser SUVs are designed for California (every Acura SUV I've ever ridden in has a weak heater, ineffectual traction control and exposed underbelly), and have low-profile large-bore tires that are brutally expensive to get winter tires for and impossible to get M&S truck tires for.

One of my favorite snow driving days was on an SRT8 Jeep with big swaybars and snows.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

XK posted:

It's a Jeep. I love the part where his phone falls out of his pocket into the ruts at 1:30. It certainly gets annihilated shortly after. Near the end of the video I think he's looking for his phone.

Was this from the schadenfreude thread? it's perfect

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Tires help a lot... I took my old XJ on 33" BFG ATs with no difflocks up trails that a built TJ on Q78s with dual difflocks ended up sideways on due to lack of traction and nearly rolled.

That was a combination of ATs being better than mud tires in the snow and me being fearless because I didn't give a rats rear end about my ride and was 5 miles from home.

Snow tires? Even better. Snowstorms are an excuse to go out and drive like an absolute dingleberry once everyone else has retreated home or never made it out of their driveway.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

Snow tires? Even better. Snowstorms are an excuse to go out and drive like an absolute dingleberry once everyone else has retreated home or never made it out of their driveway.

Are you me? I love winter. This is WHY I love winter. Every time there's a lovely-assed blizzard I load up my recovery straps, a jerry can full of gas, some traction plates (that I need to make new ones of damnit) and bomb around looking for stuck people while I drift every corner in my big-assed truck. I loving love snow, and I've driven in it since I had a quad at the age of 7 to whip around in. poo poo's not hard to drive in folks. But it IS fun.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I got my first set of proper snow tires this past winter, having relied on AWD and all seasons prior to this. My god what a difference it makes. It's just so much more fun, not to mention safer.

I would say it should be mandatory, but if it was I think those who drive too slow in the snow would continue to do so, and those that drive too fast would just speed up to compensate for the added grip and still wind up in ditches. Plus it would take away the fun of watching people get stuck in SUVs with bald all seasons.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 18, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Siochain posted:

Are you me? I love winter. This is WHY I love winter. Every time there's a lovely-assed blizzard I load up my recovery straps, a jerry can full of gas, some traction plates (that I need to make new ones of damnit) and bomb around looking for stuck people while I drift every corner in my big-assed truck. I loving love snow, and I've driven in it since I had a quad at the age of 7 to whip around in. poo poo's not hard to drive in folks. But it IS fun.

It's not really fun for me, because you have to dodge every loving idiot that has no idea how to drive properly in the winter. I've driven the Mustang in a -30 blizzard at 1 in the morning before, and there were a few dicey moments, but it was fine. Mix in other traffic and I'm sure bad poo poo would've happened.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I could have gotten Angry Jeep Guy out of that rut in one go. Idiot was just tromping on the gas and yanking the wheel to the left when he could have cruised right back onto the blacktop. I used to drive Mk2 Jettas with bald summer tires in Maine winters, no problem. And when I bought a '01 Cherokee Sport with proper tires, nothing stopped me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jeep man probably had it in "full time 4wd" or whatever those Jeeps have. I'm not sure, do they still have a low range? He could have at least turned off traction control. Traction controls get all retarded when all four wheels are spinning, and are mainly to keep you from falling off the road.

Last week, we were on the beach with my uncle's F150. The 2nd time we were digging it out of the sand, he goes and guns it again. At this point I noticed that some wheels were spinning and some weren't, and I realized "traction control!" When I told him to turn it off, he suddenly remembered he had lockers. No problems after that.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

PT6A posted:

It's not really fun for me, because you have to dodge every loving idiot that has no idea how to drive properly in the winter. I've driven the Mustang in a -30 blizzard at 1 in the morning before, and there were a few dicey moments, but it was fine. Mix in other traffic and I'm sure bad poo poo would've happened.

Oh, agreed. Other drivers are stupid. But I live in relatively small towns, and most of the absolute idiots are already in the ditch/stuck by the time I go out to have fun. I've driven all kinds of sketchy poo poo in the winter (young, poor, dumb), and I've only hit the ditch once (19, Chevy S10, summer tires, black ice, I was dumb).

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

FogHelmut posted:

Jeep man probably had it in "full time 4wd" or whatever those Jeeps have. I'm not sure, do they still have a low range? He could have at least turned off traction control. Traction controls get all retarded when all four wheels are spinning, and are mainly to keep you from falling off the road.

Last week, we were on the beach with my uncle's F150. The 2nd time we were digging it out of the sand, he goes and guns it again. At this point I noticed that some wheels were spinning and some weren't, and I realized "traction control!" When I told him to turn it off, he suddenly remembered he had lockers. No problems after that.

I got my open dif Ford Ranger on the lovely BFG Long Trails stuck in snow just like that when I took my high school girlfriend to the mountains to play in the snow years back. After taking 5 seconds to realize that I couldnt drive forwards up the hill, I waited for a break in traffic and backed right up onto the bare road and left, no stress no drama.

On a barely related note, I was working in Iceland last year on a movie and one of our locations was way out in the middle of nowhere, they had built a dirt road heading out there but may parts of the road were super soft, basically all of the production vehicles were big 4x4 trucks and the VIPs got driven around in big Toyota SUVs. I was given a Ford Transit on bald street tires, so loving stressful driving that thing back and forth every day. I got stuck twice, nearly stuck tons more. There were sections of the road where it was easy to travel over 60kph, which is apparently the speed that Ford determined that Traction Control would automatically be reactivated, which I would learn when I got to a soft section of road at tried to power through it and the TC just shut down the whole party and left me buried.

The only other time I got stuck while working was because of traction control as well, locked everything up on some ice and I slid powerless and helpless into the ditch (on another production supplied vehicle on all season tires, at least that one had AWD)

I'm the people you share off road with?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ditched my truck once, and I totally deserved it. Was trying to powerslide onto a driveway. I'd done it dozens of times before and was trying to show off for friends who were waiting further up the road. Too much speed, oh hey that snow berm got close fast.

Nothing damaged (it was fresh snow that hadn't packed and frozen yet) though I did have to spend quite a bit of time scooping snow out of the front grill to try and keep my parents from figuring out what I'd been up to.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I did that once in my Mazda. Tried to slide around a cul-de-sac circle and ran into a snow pile. I got some snow wedged in the bead of my tire and it lost all pressure. I put the donut on and took it to the tire shop and admitted my idiocy. They took the care in and apparently whatever was in the tire melted because it held air and never gave me any other problems. :iiam:

At least they didn't charge me anything.

ijustam fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 18, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've only hit the ditch once... Comanche on 33" ATs, no swaybars (fine, once you get used to the handling and take it into account. Arguably, better to not have them than to lose them halfway through a corner because an endlink chose the wrong moment to break) aaaaaand a newly installed manual transmission and front auto-locker. I didn't quite have a good grasp on how it would load/unload when shifting and getting on the throttle yet, overcorrected and dumped it in a ditch sideways. Fortunately the locker meant getting out was as easy as putting it in first gear and clutching gently :haw:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

anonumos posted:

I could have gotten Angry Jeep Guy out of that rut in one go. Idiot was just tromping on the gas and yanking the wheel to the left when he could have cruised right back onto the blacktop. I used to drive Mk2 Jettas with bald summer tires in Maine winters, no problem. And when I bought a '01 Cherokee Sport with proper tires, nothing stopped me.

I'm sure the camera guy and all of the people he 'gently caress you'd' along the way would have helped him get out of that ditch if he asked and didn't act like a spoiled two year old who broke his new toy. I wish him luck with his future ulcers and heart disease.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Tarantula posted:

Well I didn't think I would have anything interesting to share, I do now, I didn't have anything to cut the video with so nothing exciting after 20 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtKu-IvdRTQ

Why do you guys turn from the inside lane, anyway? Wouldn't it work better if everyone just moved to the outside lane before getting off?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I got my first set of proper snow tires this past winter, having relied on AWD and all seasons prior to this. My god what a difference it makes. It's just so much more fun, not to mention safer.

This was my dad's reaction when we finally convinced him to get a set of steelies and snow tires for the first time a couple of years ago, after living somewhere along the Michigan-Ontario axis for his entire life. "Holy poo poo! These things really work in the snow, did you know that?"

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

a primate posted:

Why do you guys turn from the inside lane, anyway? Wouldn't it work better if everyone just moved to the outside lane before getting off?

The lane to his left only had the option to go the same direction as he was, or leaves the roundabout earlier, his lane had the option of exiting right there or staying on the circle. Neither lane had the option of facing the opposite way. I realize you probably know this already but what I'm saying is there's only so much you can do to make up for the stupidity of other people on the road.

fakeedit: unless by "you guys" you mean the people in whatever country that is in general, and thus the designers of that road, in that case you're probably right but I guess it's to prevent it from being too crowded?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crosspost from PYF

Centripetal Horse posted:

I was cruising around Miami late one night, when I came across this:

Aside from the car to the left, there was not a person or a vehicle in sight. The chair looked for all the world as if it were waiting for the light to change.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I feel like an rear end in a top hat saying this again, but as a European looking at Americans discussing snow tires...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 24, 2019

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

a primate posted:

Heres a Canadian image to make it work for you:

The inner lane has the option of turning left around the round-about or going straight. The right lane turns Right or can head straight.

It works because people on the round-about have right of way meaning that if you wanted to you could drive around the circle in the inner lane for 5 minutes and people would still need to give way when you cross over their fronts. Therefore people entering the round-about shouldn't interfere with your exiting.

Changing lanes on a round-about only works in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTpcyoJdKI

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anphear posted:

The inner lane has the option of turning left around the round-about or going straight. The right lane turns Right or can head straight.

It works because people on the round-about have right of way meaning that if you wanted to you could drive around the circle in the inner lane for 5 minutes and people would still need to give way when you cross over their fronts. Therefore people entering the round-about shouldn't interfere with your exiting.

No one understands this rule, though. So everyone just uses the outer lane, no matter which exit they're taking, making it extremely hazardous to use the inside lane.

The Arc de Triomphe "roundabout" is a special case, since it's not really a roundabout at all. It's a circular one-way street, with priorité ŕ droite. Since all traffic entering the circle must by definition come from the right, traffic already in the circle must yield.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

This was my dad's reaction when we finally convinced him to get a set of steelies and snow tires for the first time a couple of years ago, after living somewhere along the Michigan-Ontario axis for his entire life. "Holy poo poo! These things really work in the snow, did you know that?"

Drives me fuckin' nuts. My Mom is extremely nervous about winter driving, to the point where she'll just not drive if there's been a recent snowfall, and every car she gets absolutely must be AWD, yet she doesn't get snow tires. I don't understand it. I'd rather drive a RWD vehicle with proper winter rubber on it than an AWD car with lovely all-seasons.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Brut posted:

The lane to his left only had the option to go the same direction as he was, or leaves the roundabout earlier, his lane had the option of exiting right there or staying on the circle. Neither lane had the option of facing the opposite way. I realize you probably know this already but what I'm saying is there's only so much you can do to make up for the stupidity of other people on the road.

fakeedit: unless by "you guys" you mean the people in whatever country that is in general, and thus the designers of that road, in that case you're probably right but I guess it's to prevent it from being too crowded?

Yea, I meant the latter, sorry.

Anphear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTpcyoJdKI

Interesting, I never knew that rule, and thought it was a weird UK and/or Australia-specific thing. There are only a handful of roundabouts near me, and they're either one-lane, or like this:

I guess I never thought of that section without lanes as technically space to cross over from the inside lane.

KozmoNaut posted:

No one understands this rule, though. So everyone just uses the outer lane, no matter which exit they're taking, making it extremely hazardous to use the inside lane.

The Arc de Triomphe "roundabout" is a special case, since it's not really a roundabout at all. It's a circular one-way street, with priorité ŕ droite. Since all traffic entering the circle must by definition come from the right, traffic already in the circle must yield.

Yea, that's how my brain has been treating it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

KozmoNaut posted:

Ask me about the one time in the past 5 years I had a car accident. Idiot was on the WAY inside and drove through my front clip to exit the roundabout. :downs:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

I ditched my truck once

ijustam posted:

I did that once in my Mazda.

kastein posted:

I've only hit the ditch once...
Pffft. Amateurs. Only once? I make a point of stuffing it into a snowbank each and every winter. How are you going to know where the limits are if you don't go flying right over them?
SD 054 Stuck Near Fenton Ferry (1 of 4) by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 087 Snowy Roads and Not-Roads 15 by Execudork, on Flickr

I am the person you share the tundra with.

Fake edit / disclaimer: I live in Saskatchewan. All this talk of "traffic" and "other vehicles" is very confusing. We don't have that here. Just lots and lots of nothing much.
SD 060 Gravel to the horizon by Execudork, on Flickr

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

Fake edit / disclaimer: I live in Saskatchewan. All this talk of "traffic" and "other vehicles" is very confusing. We don't have that here. Just lots and lots of nothing much.
SD 060 Gravel to the horizon by Execudork, on Flickr

The best description I've ever heard of Saskatchewan is "you can watch your dog run away from home for a week."

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It's official. I'm never driving in Paris. No way, no how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgsEg2CfRZU

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's official. I'm never driving in Paris. No way, no how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgsEg2CfRZU

Looks dangerous as hell to be in a car or on a motorcycle, but super safe to be crossing the street on foot.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

N is for Nipples posted:

I want that loving bumper sticker.

Here are a few. And here's the rest. I get some good reactions from it, people love it.

edit: A lot of you are gonna like this one. Just make sure it's not a 5-speed, or one with a different position for reverse.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 20, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just had one of the more frustrating encounters I've had in a while. To set the scene, I'm driving 35, the limit, on a four-lane road. There is a row of shops to my right and their parking lots are next to the road with perpendicular parking spaces about two car lengths away from the road. I live in the area and I've parked there many times myself. There is enough room to pull a three-point turn backing out, or you can just back straight into the road if it's clear.

So this guy in a SUV decides he wants to back out into the road, but instead of looking and waiting for the road to be clear, he just jams it into reverse and backs right into the road in front of me forcing me to make an emergency stop. He then pulls forward BACK into the parking lot, out of my way, lining up with the road. I figure he's finally recognized what a reckless move he just performed and wanted to get out of the way. So I begin moving again and right as I start to come along side him, he rips the wheel to the left and forces a me to perform a second panic stop. At this point I get on the horn to try and get his attention and he slams on the brakes, blocking the road and then tries to road rage at me.

At that point I just turned off and went another route, but what in the gently caress?! This is the only city I've ever driven in where people will nearly cause a wreck and then try and road rage/use their car as a weapon afterward. There are some seriously unstable loving people that live here.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Two DashCam clips from yesterday (G1W);
1). Fuckhead driver who half-assedly cuts another person off at an on-ramp ill equipped for fuckery
2). Fuckhead cyclist who runs a read light and could easily have been turned into beef bouillon were a driver not paying attention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A9yBFsA4Hs

cheekyvixen
Aug 19, 2014
Worked as a service writer for 4 years.

Some of my favorites,

quote:

I got an oil change last week... and now my car wont start
... and now my brakes are squeaking
... and now there's a clunking noise
... and now when I turn it squeals
... and now there's a nail in my tire
could go on for days...

From a coworker (seriously):

quote:

How do I open the car? There's only 1 button on the key.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

sarcastx posted:

Two DashCam clips from yesterday (G1W);
1). Fuckhead driver who half-assedly cuts another person off at an on-ramp ill equipped for fuckery
2). Fuckhead cyclist who runs a read light and could easily have been turned into beef bouillon were a driver not paying attention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A9yBFsA4Hs

Milwaukee! :neckbeard: I've taken that ramp at some high speeds.

I'm frustrated that he first used the carpool lane with no passengers and then waffled on whether or not he was actually going to overtake the other guy. At the top of the onramp, he should have known whether or not he was going to pass and then mashed the go-pedal accordingly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess some people never learn

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This, this motherfucker right there:

Why yes let me just puff along this narrow single-lane road when there's a perfectly fine bike path right loving there :argh:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I have no words

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Clearly the semi was in his blind spot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Killstick posted:

Clearly the semi was in his blind spot.

Must have been cranking he radio too because it's impossible to have a truck that big next to your ear and not hear the racket the engine generates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I like the part where the truck decides to keep going. I guess under the cab is his blind spot.