Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like I've played a few games now where the endgame felt like the people in the writers room threw up their hands and tossed a table over or something. Deus Ex had a pretty tremendously cheesy climax, but Deus Ex HR's final level almost felt like a different game entirely. Almost all the routes were gone too and you had to run down super linear corridors. I wonder how pacifists were able to finish.

There's a fair number of charges for your taser and darts, but you can also just run past. I don't know how that would factor into the Ghost playthrough, though I'm pretty sure that the whole final level doesn't count for that anyway.

And also, it's not just "three buttons in the same room," if you walk around the corner there's a fourth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Humerus posted:

And also, it's not just "three buttons in the same room," if you walk around the corner there's a fourth!

Now THAT'S what I call gameplay!!!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

After playing two games where I felt like I did too much sneaking (Dishonored, DE:HR) I'm gonna play Bulletstorm next and get back to some fun run'n'gunning.

I have just 60 unplayed backlog games on my list of games to play. I CAN DO THIS

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

After playing two games where I felt like I did too much sneaking (Dishonored, DE:HR) I'm gonna play Bulletstorm next and get back to some fun run'n'gunning.

I have just 60 unplayed backlog games on my list of games to play. I CAN DO THIS

Jesus Christ, Bulletstorm is so good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm doing a DX:HR (DC) full-commentary play-through right now, trying to track down every last snippet. Going by what they say there, it almost seems like the ending is the smallest bit left on the cutting-room floor.

It's also interesting to hear the kinds of tricks they had picked up by the time they made Missing Link, which makes for a pretty weird swinging back and forth in the design solution complexity towards the end now that it has been incorporated into the main game.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
Depression Quest seems to be the new Gone Home, looking at the reviews. It's full of idiots attacking the author. There are over 700 reviews and the game is at 94% thumbs down.

Depressing:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sweetjbro/recommended/270170/

quote:

WE'RE CRASHING HER CAREER

:jerkbag:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There was something that came to light recently about how the creator is actually a huge piece of poo poo....................Or so people are saying, could just be bullshit spread by assholes. :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Exterminate all gamers tia.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

saucerman posted:

Depression Quest seems to be the new Gone Home, looking at the reviews. It's full of idiots attacking the author. There are over 700 reviews and the game is at 94% thumbs down.

Depressing:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sweetjbro/recommended/270170/

Yeah there's a reason for that.
(warning, gamers.txt material)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Because she (allegedly) is bad at relationships, her video game must be bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scyantific posted:

She's a bitch who cheated on her boyfriend or whatever - according to him. Who loving cares?

Her game novel is interesting enough, if super short. It's a twenty minute playthrough, and there is enough there to play it through at least three times if you're still curious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MY GIRLFRIEND cheated on me and here's a 5000 word essay and numerous chatlogs to prove why this is a bad thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SynthOrange posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND cheated on me and here's a 5000 word essay and numerous chatlogs to prove why this is a bad thing.

9300 word. :eng101:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just installed The Long War XCOM mod. I'm super loving psyched.

:unsmigghh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I pull a stupid number out of my rear end and he easily nearly doubled that. :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Drifter posted:

Wait is Long War actually good now? I uninstalled XCOM because I personally found Long War to be poo poo.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

This is the first I've heard of it, and I looked it up out of curiosity.

Ayup, this mod definitely fixes how loving shallow XCOM was. Dunno if it's actually any good, but it definitely fixes XCOM being about 2 inches deep.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aside from her willingness to put crazy poo poo inside her body, Zoe Quinn is actually pretty cool.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Scyantific posted:

I know and I don't care what people do in their relationships.

1. She may have problems in intimate relationships. Sounds almost like someone with depression or other mental disorders!
2. And anyway, why should I trust what he writes? It could be selective because there are always two people in a relationship. Only they know all the details of what happened. Plus, do I really want to trust the kind of person who spills intimate relationship details just like that on the internet and likely violating her privacy?
3. Why I should I trust the kind of people who have a history of attacking women or LGBT in the games industry (not referring to the alleged ex-boyfriend)?

saucerman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
On the subject of Gone Home, I'm sure the people who made it are really nice people, but the first time I saw them was this photo.

I mean I know the award's from Spike, but you don't have to look like that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Without knowing context it looks like they're taking the piss out of things.

Scyantific posted:

Wait is Long War actually good now? I uninstalled XCOM because I personally found Long War to be poo poo.

According to everyone in the XCOM thread it's the loving bees knees.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

On the subject of Gone Home, I'm sure the people who made it are really nice people, but the first time I saw them was this photo.

I mean I know the award's from Spike, but you don't have to look like that.

It's a single photo so it is impossible to judge (but people do anyway) but to me it looks like they're laughing inside. I mean, that's what I would do if I was trying to look overly serious/pretentious.

edit: For context, this is the relevant blog post where that picture is from:
http://fullbright.company/2013/12/31/year-in-review/

quote:

Did you know the Spike TV award statue is called the “Vector Monkey?” To celebrate we held the Vector Monkey very sternly in a regally-appointed room at Panic, Inc.

quote:

But of course what made the year truly unforgettable for all of us was the huge outpouring of support from folks all over the world who played Gone Home. We got so many warm, personal, heartfelt emails from players who connected with the game in a way we never imagined possible. We were amazed to receive messages from all sorts of people– male and female, young and old, gay and straight– telling us how much of themselves they saw in Gone Home. That kind of response is what makes being a game developer worth it. As a creator, all you want is to make something and for people to care. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with us.

saucerman fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 19, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given that the file name is vgx_lording, going to say it's in jest.

Anyway, thank you Hav for recommending I give Starpoint Gemini 2 a shot, it has turned out quite well.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

saucerman posted:

I know and I don't care what people do in their relationships.

1. She may have problems in intimate relationships. Sounds almost like someone with depression or other mental disorders!
2. And anyway, why should I trust what he writes? It could be selective because there are always two people in a relationship. Only they know all the details of what happened. Plus, do I really want to trust the kind of person who spills intimate relationship details just like that on the internet and likely violating her privacy?
3. Why I should I trust the kind of people who have a history of attacking women or LGBT in the games industry (not referring to the alleged ex-boyfriend)?

No but you see TUMBLR and ANITA SARKEESIAN and CUCK CUCK CUCK

It's really the same poo poo you hear about any "celebrity", but people see this as their chance to "Bring down the SJW's" or whatever the internet buzzword is this month.

I mean, it's a lovely thing to do if she did it, but it's their personal relationship, airing your dirty laundry on the internet is a scummy thing to do regardless, and it's not like she's not trying to help people with the game she made in the first place.

Optional Snarky Response: Look at how many of the "reviewers" have anime or brony profile pictures.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Cucking my rear end off at all these cuckpologist in the thread defending her.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Is this, a thing now? Is this something I don't want to know about?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
^^^^^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckold?

DrPaper posted:

Cucking my rear end off at all these cuckpologist in the thread defending her.

Go cuck yourself :argh:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I dunno if she actually did have relationship problems but I think I'll side with the person who has relationship problems over this:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh yes clearly, obviously. :suicide:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I am Ozymandias, cuck of cucks. Look upon my cucks ye mighty, and despair.

In less dumb news, MGSV coming to Steam is great and I cannot wait to balloon some sheep into my secret base.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Even better, I think someone in the MGS thread said that it's been in the steam db for a while so it could be releasing at the same time as the consoles as well. And considering the consoles dates are March 2015, that doesn't seem to be a stretch.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I'm starting to feel like I've played all of the good games. It's kind of ridiculous, I can't find a single game that does traps / skills well that really engages me. It may just be I don't know what I want though. I kind of just want to be the dude in Dishonored or Far Cry 2 in a fantasy setting with a ton of guys at my back.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Man I'm starting to feel like I've played all of the good games. It's kind of ridiculous, I can't find a single game that does traps / skills well that really engages me. It may just be I don't know what I want though. I kind of just want to be the dude in Dishonored or Far Cry 2 in a fantasy setting with a ton of guys at my back.

Mount and Blade?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

socialsecurity posted:

Mount and Blade?

Mount and Blade is fast paced and has traps / skills? (Skills like Corvo's blink not like "Trading +2")

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Humerus posted:

There's a fair number of charges for your taser and darts, but you can also just run past. I don't know how that would factor into the Ghost playthrough, though I'm pretty sure that the whole final level doesn't count for that anyway.

In a ghost run, instead of running past, you run past while invisible.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Mount and Blade is fast paced and has traps / skills? (Skills like Corvo's blink not like "Trading +2")

No, you're basically out of games for that specific game fantasy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E
Dark Messiah?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Mark of the Ninja is pretty darn good. To a lesser extent, Gunpoint.

Splinter Cell Blacklist I've heard does good things, alongside Deus Ex HR - no traps, though. Dark Messiah is fun, and fluid, combat-wise, but no stealth or anything like that.

Dishonored's a rather unique game in terms of playstyle, unfortunately. Thief 2 and 3 might be the closest, with maybe Hitman Bloodmoney coming down the line. But those are pushing it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 19, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grancheater posted:

In a ghost run, instead of running past, you run past while invisible.
Done it

Orv posted:

No, you're basically out of games for that specific game fantasy.
gently caress, what is this the '80s!?

Add me on steam I'm going to buy you a game because that looks exactly what I want and I've been looking for like 2 weeks.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus/

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know, Crysis might be pretty close in terms of fast paced combat.

Oh poo poo, Aliens, vs Predator. gently caress yeah.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 19, 2014

• Locked thread