Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

A White Guy posted:

So, I want to join the US Navy. My father (and my grandfather)made chief before retiring (both were lifers, so I guess I come from a proud tradition of idiots). I'm graduating from college in a year and a half with a BS(Environmetnal Science), and provided I can hack it, I want to get my commission. I guess my questions boil down to:

1. How long would my minimum contract length be? At the moment, I don't have any intention of being a lifer, but that may change if I join the USN, I just don't expect it to. What I want to do is join the military, get my GI benefits, and then go back to school and get my masters.
2. What should I be looking at in terms of GPA/PT scores? I have a 3.2 right now, but I'm still a fair ways out from graduating. Also, the hippie college that I'm studying at doesn't have an ROTC, so that route is closed to me.
3. What does it take to get into interpreter school for intelligence capacity? I feel like I have a decent aptitude for language (I already speak Spanish fluently), even if all the languages the US military wants also happen to be really hard for English speakers to learn.

Sorry if this is all clueless as gently caress, I'm just dipping my toe in the water here.

1. This depends on your designator -- last I looked SWOs were 4 active 4 reserve, Submariners 6/2, Aviators 10. But be aware that it's not like you can just walk away the day four years expires like you can if you are enlisted and reach EAOS. Your commission is indefinate, it's not quite like you're contracted for just a given amount of time. It's more like, you're not allowed to quit until that time expires.

2. The GPAs they're looking for seem to be all across the board, having spoken to people I've worked with, but usually they are at least above a 3.0. Different fields may have different requirements or more/less stringent standards based on how many people they need, etc. There was no PT score component to applying to Navy OCS. You need to take the ASTB (Aviation Selection Testing Battery) regardless of intended designator, it's a combination of the OAR, a math/reading/basic physics test and some aviation related sections that aren't applicable unless you're trying to be an aviator or NFO.

3. Most if not all of the language based positions are enlisted jobs, not officer jobs. It's not unheard of for officers to go to DLI but it's not part of the pipeline for baby Intel Officer. Usually you'd go to language school as part of preparation for a specific assignment. I also know a few Department Heads who got in after finishing at NPS.

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

A White Guy posted:

So, I want to join the US Navy. My father (and my grandfather)made chief before retiring (both were lifers, so I guess I come from a proud tradition of idiots). I'm graduating from college in a year and a half with a BS(Environmetnal Science), and provided I can hack it, I want to get my commission. I guess my questions boil down to:

1. How long would my minimum contract length be? At the moment, I don't have any intention of being a lifer, but that may change if I join the USN, I just don't expect it to. What I want to do is join the military, get my GI benefits, and then go back to school and get my masters.
2. What should I be looking at in terms of GPA/PT scores? I have a 3.2 right now, but I'm still a fair ways out from graduating. Also, the hippie college that I'm studying at doesn't have an ROTC, so that route is closed to me.
3. What does it take to get into interpreter school for intelligence capacity? I feel like I have a decent aptitude for language (I already speak Spanish fluently), even if all the languages the US military wants also happen to be really hard for English speakers to learn.

Sorry if this is all clueless as gently caress, I'm just dipping my toe in the water here.

The coast guard always needs fluent Spanish speakers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The thing about GPA and PT scores...you're not just looking to be above the minimum. It's not a YES/NO checkbox about if you quality. You're competing against everyone else who wants to commission. And there are probably a few hundred people applying for each and every open slot. The number of slots is probably 1/4 of what it was 25 years ago.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Godholio posted:

The thing about GPA and PT scores...you're not just looking to be above the minimum. It's not a YES/NO checkbox about if you quality. You're competing against everyone else who wants to commission. And there are probably a few hundred people applying for each and every open slot. The number of slots is probably 1/4 of what it was 25 years ago.

Yes, the higher the better... and on the PT side, the Navy doesn't consider PT scores as part of your application, but if you show up to OCS not able to to hit the high end of the PFA, you're going to have a much rougher time. Make sure you're running outside on pavement, in the range of 2-4 miles a day at least. We had a large number of people get medically rolled back or dropped due to shin splints and stress fractures, largely as a result of poor preparation.

I was in middling shape when I got to OCS, I had been aiming at the lower end of the score chart (coming from being a helpless blob) and was in for a pretty rude awakening when I got there and was consisently on the bottom of the list for PT scores. The only thing that saved me from real trouble was that I had been running a lot. (and the fact that Navy designator selections are made before you get to OCS and class rank doesn't have much impact on anything).

edit: in retrospect a good calisthenics program combined with running would have been the best preparation. If you have no background in it, then even something gimmicky like P90x might be a good place to start.

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 18, 2014

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

TsarAleksi posted:

Yes, the higher the better... and on the PT side, the Navy doesn't consider PT scores as part of your application, but if you show up to OCS not able to to hit the high end of the PFA, you're going to have a much rougher time. Make sure you're running outside on pavement, in the range of 2-4 miles a day at least. We had a large number of people get medically rolled back or dropped due to shin splints and stress fractures, largely as a result of poor preparation.

I was in middling shape when I got to OCS, I had been aiming at the lower end of the score chart (coming from being a helpless blob) and was in for a pretty rude awakening when I got there and was consisently on the bottom of the list for PT scores. The only thing that saved me from real trouble was that I had been running a lot. (and the fact that Navy designator selections are made before you get to OCS and class rank doesn't have much impact on anything).

edit: in retrospect a good calisthenics program combined with running would have been the best preparation. If you have no background in it, then even something gimmicky like P90x might be a good place to start.

I already run 5 kilometers on the regular and I've been looking to really step it up, so that's comforting to know that I'm not completely out of my depth. As an aside, were you a SWO or did you go aviation?

Also,Any idea on how hard what kind of GPA and OAR scores I'm up against to get a 111X slot? I'm not trying to get into aviation or be a Submariner.

krispykremessuck posted:

The coast guard always needs fluent Spanish speakers.

My cousin is in the Coast Guard, and he's been down to Columbia three or four times. I guess I should probably talk to him about what the Coast Guard is offering too.

I'm still a long ways out and I'm probably going to have a million different questions as things progress, so thank you to all of you people for enlightening me.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

A White Guy posted:

I already run 5 kilometers on the regular and I've been looking to really step it up, so that's comforting to know that I'm not completely out of my depth. As an aside, were you a SWO or did you go aviation?

Also,Any idea on how hard what kind of GPA and OAR scores I'm up against to get a 111X slot? I'm not trying to get into aviation or be a Submariner.

I was 111x.

The nominal answer is "above 3.0, above 50" for competitive scores. However, this changes board-to-board depending on how many people they need. USNA and ROTC provide a steady stream of new Ensigns, and they are long-term costs (given the amount of time it takes). OCS is used to fill in where they have a shortfall, so it can be very hard to predict.

The same package might get you rejected one board and selected the next. And this year they might be looking for people with X,Y, and Z in their background, but next year they want A, B, C.

If you haven't yet done so, get in touch with an officer recruiter in your area and start the conversation. Make sure you talk to an officer recruiter, not a normal enlisted recruiter, they are not the same people and they don't work out of the same offices.

Generally speaking, where an enlisted recruiter is struggling to make numbers and will be pushing you to sign, officer recruiters are more laid back lazy and you will most likely have to drive the process yourself.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

A White Guy posted:

I got picked up for SWO early last year with 48 OAR and 3.4 GPA. I had a somewhat technical background but I think the motivational statement and supplemental experience stuff got me in.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So is enlisting in the Coast Guard as dumb as enlisting in the other 3 branches if you have a degree?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Pon de Bundy posted:

So is enlisting in the Coast Guard as dumb as enlisting in the other 3 branches if you have a degree?

probably dumber, actually

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

krispykremessuck posted:

probably dumber, actually

Why? The Coast Guard seems pretty selective in who they will take in for an officer.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Enlisted are the lower level scum who take orders from the officers.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pon de Bundy posted:

enlisting if you have a degree?

This entire thread doesn't exist. It is our imagination. This question has never been addressed. Not even once.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cole posted:

This entire thread doesn't exist. It is our imagination. This question has never been addressed. Not even once.

I'VE read the thread from top to now, but the coast guard isn't given much love in here apparently.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Pon de Bundy posted:

I'VE read the thread from top to now, but the coast guard isn't given much love in here apparently.

Enlisting is different from commissioning.

The coast guard is different from the military (it isn't the military) which is why you don't see any Coasties in GiP.

There's probably a federal jobs thread in Ask/Tell somewhere where you can find out about working for the Department of Homeland Security.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pon de Bundy posted:

Enlist with a degree. It'll be the best six years of your life. Don't take a bonus either, everyone will respect you more for "earning it" on the other side.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Victor Vermis posted:

Enlisting is different from commissioning.

The coast guard is different from the military (it isn't the military) which is why you don't see any Coasties in GiP.

There's probably a federal jobs thread in Ask/Tell somewhere where you can find out about working for the Department of Homeland Security.

Since when is Coast Guard not the military? Come on now.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pon de Bundy posted:

Since when is Coast Guard not the military? Come on now.

Semper Paratus

Enlist in the Marine Corps. 0300 Open

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Enlist with a degree. It'll be the best six years of your life. Don't take a bonus either, everyone will respect you more for "earning it" on the other side.

I don't have a degree, I'm just wondering since Coast Guard isn't "military".

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
The coast guard belongs to DHS not DOD. It's been like that since 2003. They are on par with the secret service. But due to history and logistics and the government not having any clue how to smoothly transition anything, it's retained the same pay structure as the military.

CG can be a part of the Navy if the president orders it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pon de Bundy posted:

I don't have a degree, I'm just wondering since Coast Guard isn't "military".

The Coast Guard is the military, and everything you read in this thread about enlisting with a degree in the military applies.

Enlisted life in the military is a great place for dumb people and people who are incapable of being a grown up adult and getting a college education with whatever tools their upbringing and high school education gave them.

If you can get your degree, do that.
If you feel like the military is something you need, then do that instead.

All other justifications for enlisting you create for yourself are stupid and will be forgotten well before you're halfway through your contract.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Cole posted:

The coast guard belongs to DHS not DOD. It's been like that since 2003. They are on par with the secret service. But due to history and logistics and the government not having any clue how to smoothly transition anything, it's retained the same pay structure as the military.

CG can be a part of the Navy if the president orders it.

the only thing you're right about here is the 2003 thing, fyi

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

krispykremessuck posted:

the only thing you're right about here is the 2003 thing, fyi

To be fair I was guessing on most of that. The 2003 thing is just a weird fact I know.

Don't enlist with a degree, that's what it boils down to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The CG is not in the military. Before moving to DHS it fell under Transportation. There are some similarities, but the Public Health Service has commissioned officers too. BFD.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

The CG is not in the military. Before moving to DHS it fell under Transportation. There are some similarities, but the Public Health Service has commissioned officers too. BFD.

I know some of you dod folks really get a bug up your rear end about it, but yes in fact the cg is one of the five armed services

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

More like the CG has a chip on its shoulder for being "only" a uniformed service. DHS may look military sometimes, but it's not military.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

More like the CG has a chip on its shoulder for being "only" a uniformed service. DHS may look military sometimes, but it's not military.

not really man it's a matter of law not opinion

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/14/1

to be clear were it me I'd rather it wasn't, because it would have been a lot cooler job if it didn't have military bullshit attached to it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I don't even know why you'd want to be associated with the CG since it meant munching on Napolitano's sniz at some point in the past decade.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

By no meaningful definition is it a military force. At best, paramilitary. By mission, it's law enforcement and regulatory. As I understand it, Coast Guard falls under Title 10 when assets are transferred under DOD control for contingencies.

The CG claiming to be military (I'd also argue that military and "armed forces" aren't completely interchangeable as well) is like a NG guy claiming to be on active duty after he's transferred back to his state after a deployment.

Fake edit: Title 10 defines military departments as the AF, Army, and Navy depts. DHS is handled separately. But the CG is one of the armed forces..and alongside the NOAA and PHS, it's one of the uniformed services.

It doesn't maintain a military mission. But yes, they do have guns.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

They also have to go through the personal Normandy that is ~M E P S~

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

By no meaningful definition is it a military force. At best, paramilitary. By mission, it's law enforcement and regulatory. As I understand it, Coast Guard falls under Title 10 when assets are transferred under DOD control for contingencies.

The CG claiming to be military (I'd also argue that military and "armed forces" aren't completely interchangeable as well) is like a NG guy claiming to be on active duty after he's transferred back to his state after a deployment.

Fake edit: Title 10 defines military departments as the AF, Army, and Navy depts. DHS is handled separately. But the CG is one of the armed forces..and alongside the NOAA and PHS, it's one of the uniformed services.

Bingo. That's why drills are called "Inactive Duty Training"- we're not activated under Title 10 or Title 32 for regular training, not even for AT. Our funding is federal, but we're a state force at the behest of the governor until federalized.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

i'm really only doing this because you're gonna bust a vessel in your eye or something but:

14 U.S. Code § 1 - Establishment of Coast Guard posted:

The Coast Guard, established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times.

so I mean it doesn't really matter what any of us think

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ugh, gay.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Oh who cares it's gay no matter what it belongs to.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

http://www.uscg.mil/history/faqs/wars.asp

Anyways if you enlist with a degree you are most likely dumb and should burn your degree.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bingo. That's why drills are called "Inactive Duty Training"- we're not activated under Title 10 or Title 32 for regular training, not even for AT. Our funding is federal, but we're a state force at the behest of the governor until federalized.

AT orders are Title 32; I've been to Active Army schools outside of my state on Title 32 orders even. Also this is a retarded argument about whether or not the CG is part of the military.

Regardless of who controls the NG or CG for day to day stuff, they all fall under Title 10 during times of war/mobilization.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Also this is a retarded argument about whether or not the CG is part of the military.

Godholio got all weirdly defensive about whether or not the CG is a branch of the mil when it's spelled out in 14 USC and I mean I dunno the fact that I got a DD-214, a VA benefits card/number, 10 point pref, GI bill and any number of other things. Also there is or were two active duty CG Seals so idk your call.

People get mad probably because joining the CG is probably the better idea if you're just doing 4 and collecting your benefits.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So enlisting with a degree is a big NO NO, but the Coast Guard is Military Lite(apparently).

What with the economy crashing and recently coming back to life, I'd imagine applying with a 4 year degree and less than stellar GPA to OCS would be pretty difficult.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pon de Bundy posted:

So enlisting with a degree is a big NO NO, but the Coast Guard is Military Lite(apparently).

What with the economy crashing and recently coming back to life, I'd imagine applying with a 4 year degree and less than stellar GPA to OCS would be pretty difficult.

Compared to some of the poo poo I read here, I would say we still have the chiefs mess bullshit and general military crap to deal with, but it definitely seems better than the other branches.

Right now our problem is that people are enlisting with bachelors (and in some cases masters) degrees so that's just pushing everything up.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Would you list a fracture on the medical questionaire, if it only resulted in being cast for 6 weeks. No surgery, no pins, no plates? I fractured the same wrist twice. Once around 1990, and again around 2004. I don't even know where to begin to find the doctor that cast them. If I don't list them, what are the chances that the military(any branch), can find this information? The only reason I'd omit it, is because of time constraints on going to MEPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if there was nothing done like screws/plates/ect it shouldn't matter. ask your recruiter, if he is worth a poo poo he can tell you the 'correct' answer.

• Locked thread