Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Can someone post the pages of Alopex beating on the traitor foot soldiers? Or really, just the "Ssh, it's all right, you'll lose" panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Boxman posted:

Can someone post the pages of Alopex beating on the traitor foot soldiers? Or really, just the "Ssh, it's all right, you'll lose" panel.

If it's in the main series, I can when I get to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This was posted in another subforum but I think it belongs here too.

Nckdictator posted:

Man, old EC Comics were great

Mostly because it was published in 1953

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

This was posted in another subforum but I think it belongs here too.

Mostly because it was published in 1953

That's the most badass thing I've seen in awhile.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That reminds me of that sci-fi short with the astronaut checking in on a robot society. It was also incredibly ahead of its time for when it was published.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Uthor posted:

If it's in the main series, I can when I get to it.

It's in the Alopex Microseries issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gavok posted:

It's in the Alopex Microseries issue.

Knew I should have bought those!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I really have no problem with The Joker being immune to mind affecting drugs, since even the most mundane depictions of him operate on the assumption his brain is pretty loving broken.
I think it was mentioned at some point that doctors have tried dosing him with almost every anti-psychotic drug available, but they don't work because he isn't actually insane.
Actually, I might be mistaking The Joker for Hannibal Lecter here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My favorite interpretation of Joker has always been that he's a little bit crazy but acts way crazier for attention and to prove some nonsense point about society. Like in the Animated Series, when he'd make some grand soliloquy about chaos and then when his plan goes to poo poo he'd just cut out like any two bit villain, dropping the crazy act immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lNW3jNbig

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IUG posted:

That reminds me of that sci-fi short with the astronaut checking in on a robot society. It was also incredibly ahead of its time for when it was published.

Shockingly enough that was also in an EC publication.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite interpretation of Joker has always been that he's a little bit crazy but acts way crazier for attention and to prove some nonsense point about society. Like in the Animated Series, when he'd make some grand soliloquy about chaos and then when his plan goes to poo poo he'd just cut out like any two bit villain, dropping the crazy act immediately.

In that clip, it's because he was terrified.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:qq: B-b-b-b-b-b-but the Joker is the ultimate badass he'd never get terrified Heath Ledger would never get terrified :qq:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My kids have been watching a ton of Brave and the Bold, and I cannot get over Joker's voice in that series. It's crazy how Mark Hamill has become synonymous with that character.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

:qq: B-b-b-b-b-b-but the Joker is the ultimate badass he'd never get terrified Heath Ledger would never get terrified :qq:

And he'd have a plan for just this moment! I mean an element of chaos he'd prepared!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Batman: Under the Hood by Winnick played around with this idea quite a bit when Todd confronted the Joker and basically called him out on his bullshit. I wish I could find the panels because it is pretty badass to see Joker getting a talking down to.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That comic written by Max Landis has Nu52 Superman meeting Joker for the first time and basically totally emasculating the Joker's schtick via polite indifference. It was really refreshing to see.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

mind the walrus posted:

That comic written by Max Landis has Nu52 Superman meeting Joker for the first time and basically totally emasculating the Joker's schtick via polite indifference. It was really refreshing to see.

Adventures of Superman #40

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, that was actually pretty cool.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
"You call yourself the Joker, but I'm not allowed to laugh?"

:drat: That is a really, really good line.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You didn't post the last page of that encounter :argh:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squidster posted:

I really dig the at in that one, and it's always great having someone call Joker on his poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

IUG posted:

I'll take any excuse to repost that comic.

GrandpaPants posted:

From Weird Fantasy #18, published in 1953.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Squidster posted:

This is pretty-

mind the walrus posted:

written by Max Landis
:barf:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jonny Nox posted:

My kids have been watching a ton of Brave and the Bold, and I cannot get over Joker's voice in that series. It's crazy how Mark Hamill has become synonymous with that character.
That and BatB Joker is voiced by the guy who did Johnny Bravo

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thought you guys might be interested in this. Marvel is releasing cheaper quality TPBs at Wal-Mart for $5 apiece.

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-returns-to-walmart-with-clearance-prices/

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

10 Beers posted:

Thought you guys might be interested in this. Marvel is releasing cheaper quality TPBs at Wal-Mart for $5 apiece.

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-returns-to-walmart-with-clearance-prices/

That might just be the best news in years for comics in general.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I'll take any excuse to repost that comic.

Didn't the company who published that story have to fight like a bastard to make it happen?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't the company who published that story have to fight like a bastard to make it happen?

Yep!

quote:

So he said it can't be a Black [person]. So I said, 'For God's sakes, Judge Murphy, that's the whole point of the Goddamn story!' So he said, 'No, it can't be a Black'. Bill [Gaines] just called him up [later] and raised the roof, and finally they said, 'Well, you gotta take the perspiration off'. I had the stars glistening in the perspiration on his Black skin. Bill said, 'gently caress you', and he hung up.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
If it's not too much of a derail, can someone post the letters in response page?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

PunkBoy posted:

If it's not too much of a derail, can someone post the letters in response page?

Oh god yes, please this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know, I know, but Landis actually seems to have a pretty good grasp on these characters. Even a broken clock and all that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I guess the new Batwoman features Kate and Maggie breaking up. Hilarity has ensued in the usual places.

Edit: I am not sure how this post ended up in this thread.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 21, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PunkBoy posted:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man I wanted to see the racist crybaby responses

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Odds are they got 'em and never even considered running 'em. You know how it is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

Man I wanted to see the racist crybaby responses

Seeing as it was a letters page and not some comments section where they could anonymously post some vitriol about political correctness gone amok, I like to think that they didn't receive to much, and any that they did were probably written with so much vitriol and hatred that they couldn't print them anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They might have been lying, but they claim they only received 1 negative letter at the start of the page. And what they printed of that letter didn't seem too negative, just a self-congratulatory "I'm not as racists as my friends" thing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Wanderer posted:

I guess the new Batwoman features Kate and Maggie breaking up. Hilarity has ensued in the usual places.

That was a given after the mess early in the year.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Shockingly enough that was also in an EC publication.

Not that shocking. EC had at one time some of the best comic writers and artists on staff. Yes, Gaines went for shock value a lot of the times in order to make a buck but every so often some of the best poo poo came out of EC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was being sarcastic.