Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

These are really hard to find on the web as they're mostly sold out, but I got one at Play-Asia.

It's an Akishop PS360+, which is a board that allows you to connect an Xbox fighting games controller to almost any other kind of console at a whim. This is very useful if you go to tournaments (which I don't, really) or if you have a large library of games that you like using arcade controls for on different platforms (which I absolutely do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I have two PS360s and have been really happy with them so far. Too bad about the PS4 compatibility though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FredLordofCheese posted:

We just had 24 hour slow cooked pork shoulder yesterday and it was jaw droppingly good. We made 10 lbs and shared with friends.
http://www.nomiku.com/

What does this thing do that my aquarium heater wouldn't?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

What does this thing do that my aquarium heater wouldn't?

Not much. They heat and circulate the water to maintain it at a precise temperature. Folks have been building their own for years using aquarium pumps, heaters, etc. Or using a PID with a crockpot and thermometer. For a long time, you had to buy very pricey lab equipment or rig one up yourself, but now there's a lot of options for affordable devices like this.

It basically makes cooking proteins idiot proof. The short ribs I mentioned get pasteurized in the bag. But since they are cooked for so long, the collagen breaks down into gelatin giving you a tender rib that's cooked medium rare. Which you can't do with any other method.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

My crappy old backpack that I had for well over 20 years now felt more and more uncomfortable and had some wear and tear.
So I got a new one and it arrived today.

Case Logic Griffith Park in grey

And I got this vinyl decal for my notebook from some Etsy shop. A timeless classic.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Because I've always wanted to wait 8 hours for coffee.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, so you don't do a pour over with that, you just wait for the ice to melt?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Yeah, you just wait. A local restaurant has a big one similar to this one. The grounds go in the middle container before the spiral dealie.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the spiral just for looks or is there a pseudoscientific explanation?

edit: vvvv It certainly does

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Aug 20, 2014

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I dunno but it looks cool.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is the spiral just for looks or is there a pseudoscientific explanation?

edit: vvvv It certainly does

If you put that spiral in a water jacket or something and ran cooled brine solution through it you might start getting somewhere.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Do you have to use spherical ice or do cubes work?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Nah, I'm sure any cubes are fine.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I make iced coffee in an old jar of pasta sauce

Can anybody link me that original thing in question. I'm curious.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

colas posted:

Because I've always wanted to wait 8 hours for coffee.

What's the benefit of this over chilling regular coffee?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Tea Bone posted:

What's the benefit of this over chilling regular coffee?

I can't speak for that thing specifically but there have been a number of "cold brew" systems in the part, I think the most known one is called "the toddy." Basically it's all chemical science about how the beans react with different temperature water, cold water takes a lot longer to brew coffee than hot water is the easiest way to look at it. It tastes different. I don't want to say its "less bitter" or it creates different flavor notes or whatever but it just tastes different.

You can do it yourself at home with a French press or an old pasta sauce jar or something. Just mix some ground coffee with cold water and let it sit for 12+ hours and then filter it. It creates a strong concentrated coffee you can thin with ice or water or milk.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

From toddycafe.com -

"Developed and patented in 1964 by a Cornell University chemical engineering graduate, the Toddy Cold Brew System extracts the coffee bean's true delicious flavor and eliminates much of the acidity, producing a bold, super-smooth coffee concentrate that may be refrigerated for up to 14 days without any deterioration in taste or freshness."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also be careful because you can brew up a nice pot of bacteria.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Wanted to get some nice 2mm lead holders so I ordered some stuff.

Alvin Pro Matic

Staedtler 925 25 20

Also a box of blue leads and HB leads, both Staedtler.

....aaaaand this mechanical pencil in 0.5. It wasn't expensive and I thought it might be nice.

This thing, which I think will be useful?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, not if you plan to climb with it :colbert:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, not if you plan to climb with it :colbert:

No, that says "hot for climbing," like it's raring to go.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school

I'm kind of on a World War kick.

It's not here yet, but this is the one I'm really excited about. The Lang was the ship my grandfather served on during WW2. He never talked to anyone about what happened during the war, so I'm looking forward to getting some insight on what he lived through.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Also be careful because you can brew up a nice pot of bacteria.

How would that happen? If I just left it sitting at room temp too long?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Lenovo T440s with a solid state drive and extended battery. This battery is ridiculous. I have no doubt that it could last over 12 hours on a full charge with standard use.

Well, I didn't actually buy this one since I got it from my new job as a work computer (and therefore can't install stuff on it) but my wife likes it and needs a new laptop... so we'll probably be buying one when the right deal comes along.

I did get to expense a laptop bag from Staples, so I kinda bought stuff?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

colas posted:

How would that happen? If I just left it sitting at room temp too long?

Yeah, basically, since it's not sterilized like hot coffee you need to be more fastidious in cleaning your brewing vessels.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, basically, since it's not sterilized like hot coffee you need to be more fastidious in cleaning your brewing vessels.

Cool, will do. Thanks.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

But I don't have a toaster oven and putting one piece of Kit Kat in the oven would just feel so dumb.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Tulip Candy posted:

But I don't have a toaster oven and putting one piece of Kit Kat in the oven would just feel so dumb.

Blow torch, that wouldn't be dumb. What flavor are these? I really wanna try the green tea ones.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Cuniculous posted:

I'm kind of on a World War kick.

Be sure to check out Ordinary Men for maximum :smithicide:.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

colas posted:

Blow torch, that wouldn't be dumb. What flavor are these? I really wanna try the green tea ones.

These are "pudding" flavored (flan/creme caramel, that sort of thing). Apparently it tastes like creme brulee after it gets toasted!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Hellbeard posted:

Also a box of blue leads and HB leads, both Staedtler.

Staedtler makes a fine piece of writing equipment.

Since my old Kindle broke I got it replaced under warranty so technically not a purchase but I got an upgrade so...

Kindle Paperwhite:

To use for reading:

Finally got through book 2, and I couldn't put book 3 down so I bought 4 and 5 in anticipation. About halfway through 4 now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I bought a used powerwheels for my son's 3rd b-day (and a new battery and battery tender). I am A Good Dad™

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

dreesemonkey posted:

I bought a used powerwheels for my son's 3rd b-day (and a new battery and battery tender). I am A Good Dad™

Not until you modify it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM2SWNCes5g

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Holy crap, that looks like so much fun.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Building a new PC, and doing it myself for the first time.

I ordered so much computer stuff yesterday, my bank's fraud department called me in a tizzy.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Decided to stop taking photos with my phone and ordered this:

Fujifilm x10. I don't really know much about cameras, but this seems to have good reviews and was down to £199 from £379 on Amazon.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

$25 at a thrift store, in non-working condition. It's taken me a day to clean (OH GOD THE DIRT - It looked like it hadn't seen the end of a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol since manufacturing date in the late 60s...) fix and get running, and now I'm recording to tape like a boss. I just need to hit the gain pots with some Deoxit, and I might modify the 1/4in mic inputs to XLR ones for convenience.

Bonus: mono recordings of 80s country songs that were left over on the tape.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Aug 21, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

strangemusic posted:

$25 at a thrift store, in non-working condition. It's taken me a day to fix and get running, and now I'm recording to tape like a boss. I just need to hit the gain pots with some Deoxit, and I might modify the 1/4in mic inputs to XLR ones for convenience.

Bonus: mono recordings of 80s country songs that were left over on the tape.

Question: What will you ultimately use it for?

Question 2: Is your name based on Tech N9ne's label?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ekol Viper 9mm, with 6" barrel. It shoots blank rounds only (basically it's a prop gun) so it's practically impossible to hurt anyone with it. I am fully aware that it is dorky and probably a waste of money, but I wanted a toy that goes bang, and I'm a goddamn adult, so I bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Question: What will you ultimately use it for?

Question 2: Is your name based on Tech N9ne's label?

Ultimately, I'm going to track guitars on it probably and maybe vocals if it's clean enough. The timing is basically awesome, as I'm just about to do some recording for a band I've been chatting with, and they are fond of the lo-fi feel. I do stereo mics for acoustic and always 2 mic setups for electric, so it's perfect as it can only do 2 inputs at once. I can also use it to print submixes or stems to the tape and then back to Pro Tools for that sweet magnetic flavour.

As for the second question: no. I just kind of came up with it. Strangemusic used to be my twitter handle (since abandoned) - I have so many follows/RTs in the rap community it's not even funny.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Aug 21, 2014