Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

mistermojo posted:

Dog Sniper and the twins are the only ones having fun in our post Departure world

Yeah, Jill sure as gently caress isn't.

Speaking of Jill, does anyone remember in the first episode when they played that spin the bottle type game with an iPhone? What was the deal with Jill and that skinny dude going in that bedroom and her undressing into her skivvies while he jerked off? I never understood that, like when she walked in and said they didn't have to do anything if he didn't want to, what were they supposed to do and why did they half-undress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Calling now that he was a long, long standing member of Grampa Garvey's insane asylum. Gramps found another dude who heard voices and experienced the real world through violent television and recruited him to "help" his son. If he'd been institutionalized for most or all of his adult life it would explain why he doesn't pop up on a Driver's License or fingerprint search.

Not to say that he is not also magic.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Subterfrugal posted:

Calling now that he was a long, long standing member of Grampa Garvey's insane asylum. Gramps found another dude who heard voices and experienced the real world through violent television and recruited him to "help" his son. If he'd been institutionalized for most or all of his adult life it would explain why he doesn't pop up on a Driver's License or fingerprint search.

Not to say that he is not also magic.

He definitely is magic. We see him talk to whoever gramps talks to toward the end of the last episode, right before he walks out. Dog sniper is a guardian angel. He said so himself.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

the brotherly phl posted:

He definitely is magic. We see him talk to whoever gramps talks to toward the end of the last episode, right before he walks out. Dog sniper is a guardian angel. He said so himself.

I love how Scott Glen gets all mad at the voices, but the only time I remember ever hearing Dog Sniper talk to them was the most recent episode. I wonder how often the voices piss him off.

Also my theory is alien abduction and anal probing to insert a device that allows certain abductees to hear the aliens but the ones with the device are the only ones sent back to earth and everyone else is on the mothership being probed

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

life is killing me posted:

I love how Scott Glen gets all mad at the voices, but the only time I remember ever hearing Dog Sniper talk to them was the most recent episode. I wonder how often the voices piss him off.

Also my theory is alien abduction and anal probing to insert a device that allows certain abductees to hear the aliens but the ones with the device are the only ones sent back to earth and everyone else is on the mothership being probed

Probes? Probes everywhere! I am always pro probe.

About his calm though, that was my first thought too. He is way more calm about the voices. Could just be more intense for gramps or Dog Sniper is just one strange man. Which he definitely is. Maybe some sort of spook-like training if he has no records etc. Plus can use a rifle real good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

the brotherly phl posted:

We see him talk to whoever gramps talks to toward the end of the last episode, right before he walks out.

A lot of people have said this, but I watched this bit several times and he is clearly talking to Patti.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

Toshimo posted:

A lot of people have said this, but I watched this bit several times and he is clearly talking to Patti.

I'm not convinced. It is possible, but the shot doesn't show his exact eye line. The dialogue could still work if we assume he knows something about her wanting to kill herself, but I don't find that super likely. He didn't have time to get deep into a discussion with her, and I doubt she would be able to convince him that fast. At least not to the extent where he feels annoyed and lashes out at the end. It felt more conciliatory, like someone was prodding him and he reacted out of frustration. Like voices were pushing him like they pushed gramps in the diner. So, I'm all about the guardian angel theory.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Boris Galerkin posted:

Patty literally tells us that it doesn't matter what happened so we're not going to get any answers.

You assume Patty knows what she is talking about, but I think the whole point is nobody knows, but everyone has their own unique spin, as with most unknowable things in life. I'm interested to see how much real/magic/religious stuff they put into the show and how more or less that provides answers for people. Like if something else completely not possible in real life happened, it would push people into understanding more that something is causing this, but also splinter people up about what it actually is and who or what is doing it. That is an interesting concept for me and I hope they don't ever reduce it to an easy to answer culprit, like "God did it" or "Aliens did it". I'm hoping it is just "hosed up poo poo is happening and we have no idea why or how, drat"

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I want a spin off buddy road trip movie. Dog Sniper and The Twins.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Yeah, Jill sure as gently caress isn't.

Speaking of Jill, does anyone remember in the first episode when they played that spin the bottle type game with an iPhone? What was the deal with Jill and that skinny dude going in that bedroom and her undressing into her skivvies while he jerked off? I never understood that, like when she walked in and said they didn't have to do anything if he didn't want to, what were they supposed to do and why did they half-undress?

Guessing it was like Seven Minutes in Heaven except with a bedroom instead of a closet.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Kevyn posted:

Guessing it was like Seven Minutes in Heaven except with a bedroom instead of a closet.

I thought so too, but am perplexed as to why she thought brosef wouldn't want to make out with her (maybe he is gay, or maybe she isn't all that self-confident?) and also why it was totally cool with her that he masturbate while she was right next to him on the bed.

I can't imagine a teenage girl not going "EW NO you're not masturbating in my vicinity you loser!"

Unless the dude was gay so she didn't find it creepy at all

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

You assume Patty knows what she is talking about, but I think the whole point is nobody knows, but everyone has their own unique spin, as with most unknowable things in life. I'm interested to see how much real/magic/religious stuff they put into the show and how more or less that provides answers for people. Like if something else completely not possible in real life happened, it would push people into understanding more that something is causing this, but also splinter people up about what it actually is and who or what is doing it. That is an interesting concept for me and I hope they don't ever reduce it to an easy to answer culprit, like "God did it" or "Aliens did it". I'm hoping it is just "hosed up poo poo is happening and we have no idea why or how, drat"

I mean that's kind of the whole point of the show. I absolutely think Patti saying "it doesn't matter what happened" should be taken at face value, magic poo poo is now a sudden possibility and we'll never know why and we'll never be able to fully trust the fundamental laws of reality ever again. All that's important is how we deal with it, or become unable to, as is the case.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 21, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The spinner landed on Choke, so. ...:shrug:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yea, she was supposed to choke him since that's what it landed on. I think she said that because she wasn't sure if he was into being choked :shrug:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

beanieson posted:

Yea, she was supposed to choke him since that's what it landed on. I think she said that because she wasn't sure if he was into being choked :shrug:

But it's the rules, man...

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

I'm really enjoying this show so far, and I was a big fan of LOST, too (apart from most of the final season), and by no means am I trying to be a jerk or claim that I perfectly understand the show, but reading much of the discussion in this thread is pretty frustrating. I'm not going to single out any one reply, but how could anyone watch the argument scene with Aimee and Jill and not understand the reason Aimee claims to have had sex with Jill's father "on a pile of guns" is not because it actually happened, but because she felt betrayed by Jill for asking the quesiton? That should have been pretty obvious in the context of their relationship. Or take for example the confusion about Gladys' death. In the episode where Gladys gets stoned to death, right in the beginning, there is a scene in which she's in Patti's office, they're staring intently at each other, and Gladys nods meaningfully. Right after that she gets killed. At the time, I wasn't ready to say that this was a definitive indication that Gladys accepted that she was going to be martyred for the cause, but in light of this latest episode it's clear that the writers foreshadowed what Patti would later confirm to be the case. Why is it so hard to imagine why the GR chooses to martyr themselves/get the asses kicked to further their agenda of greater visibility?

In my opinion, the audience ought not expect to understand every single thing that happens on the show as it happens. The writers are deliberately trying to build suspense and even then, they do leave bread crumbs. Yeah, we can look back and say that LOST did a lovely job of explaining things once it was all said and done, but I'm getting flashbacks of people bitching in LOST Season 2 about "this show doesn't make sense" when it seems to me that the point of LOST, and to a much, much greater extent The Leftovers, is that we're not supposed to understand everything in its entirety, ever. The characters in Leftovers have to find meaning in their lives despite this terrible void of ambiguity looming over their heads.

The show isn't for everyone, certainly, but for gently caress's sake, do you expect your television shows to be tailored to your specific, personal attention span and comprehension needs, or do you want to approach shows with uncertainty and curiosity, and allow the writers to tell a story their way, paced how they see fit? Assuming those writers know what they're doing, which of course is always debatable, we should be enjoying the process of watching this show unfold, even if it's mysterious and difficult. Again, sorry if I come across as an rear end in a top hat, I just wish more people were able to appreciate the show and enjoy what I think is provocative, unique writing -- or failing that, at least enjoy the show on a conceptual level.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Completely loving agreed, and I refer you to the thread title

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Short answer: It's a discussion.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At this point, it is implied by so many moments she had sex with hot cop that it'll turn out she's a virgin and never wants to have sex just because.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

At this point, it is implied by so many moments she had sex with hot cop that it'll turn out she's a virgin and never wants to have sex just because.

How is it implied other than she wears pajamas?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They implied something happened when she was bandaging his hand and the daughter outright asked her. There's probably more awkward staring scenes I can't think of off the top of my head.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

The Dave posted:

How is it implied other than she wears pajamas?

Well, the sexual tension is palpable. You're right in that we haven't really seen anything too overt other than her wearing sexy pajamas and acting very comfortable around him. It's more his total awkwardness and inability to tactfully handle her sexuality than anything else.

The one thing that gets me is this: we now know that his dream sequences have some standing in reality. The dog in the mailbox sequence occurs when he captures and tries to civilize the werewolfhound for example. Earlier in the series, he has one of those dreams with Aimee in it. Am I wrong in remembering that it was very clearly implied that something sexual had happened / was about to happen? Am I completely wrong in that? I can't go back and check because I'm at work, but IF I'm remembering right, that could be a hint at something having happened between them when he was sleeping.

I'm honestly leaning toward nothing happened anyway, but that's one possibility I can think of.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They implied something happened when ... the daughter outright asked her.

And her response of ending their friendship and saying they hosed on a pile of guns made me believe that was her saying it didn't happen.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Although I don't know why it would matter either way, hotcop isn't married.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

He actually was up until the episode before last.

Legally, anyway.

At any rate, in some episodes it almost seems as if she tries to subtly seduce him...she does "mom" things like bandaging his hand and offering to make coffee, and on top of that there are lingering stares. From her they are "I'd hop on that dick in a heartbeat, Chief." From him the stare is more like, "Are you loving kidding me, don't even start." And like I stated before she hasn't been modest around him at all. There's definite sexual tension and it's almost as if when she says some things, Kevin looks at her like she's insane and blinks a lot then walks away, as if to ask himself "why me?"

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sleeping with your school-age daughter's best friend who you're providing a roof for would be kinda frowned upon where I'm from, to be fair.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Phenylketonuric posted:

I'm really enjoying this show so far, and I was a big fan of LOST, too (apart from most of the final season), and by no means am I trying to be a jerk or claim that I perfectly understand the show, but reading much of the discussion in this thread is pretty frustrating. I'm not going to single out any one reply, but how could anyone watch the argument scene with Aimee and Jill and not understand the reason Aimee claims to have had sex with Jill's father "on a pile of guns" is not because it actually happened, but because she felt betrayed by Jill for asking the quesiton? That should have been pretty obvious in the context of their relationship. Or take for example the confusion about Gladys' death. In the episode where Gladys gets stoned to death, right in the beginning, there is a scene in which she's in Patti's office, they're staring intently at each other, and Gladys nods meaningfully. Right after that she gets killed. At the time, I wasn't ready to say that this was a definitive indication that Gladys accepted that she was going to be martyred for the cause, but in light of this latest episode it's clear that the writers foreshadowed what Patti would later confirm to be the case. Why is it so hard to imagine why the GR chooses to martyr themselves/get the asses kicked to further their agenda of greater visibility?

In my opinion, the audience ought not expect to understand every single thing that happens on the show as it happens. The writers are deliberately trying to build suspense and even then, they do leave bread crumbs. Yeah, we can look back and say that LOST did a lovely job of explaining things once it was all said and done, but I'm getting flashbacks of people bitching in LOST Season 2 about "this show doesn't make sense" when it seems to me that the point of LOST, and to a much, much greater extent The Leftovers, is that we're not supposed to understand everything in its entirety, ever. The characters in Leftovers have to find meaning in their lives despite this terrible void of ambiguity looming over their heads.

The show isn't for everyone, certainly, but for gently caress's sake, do you expect your television shows to be tailored to your specific, personal attention span and comprehension needs, or do you want to approach shows with uncertainty and curiosity, and allow the writers to tell a story their way, paced how they see fit? Assuming those writers know what they're doing, which of course is always debatable, we should be enjoying the process of watching this show unfold, even if it's mysterious and difficult. Again, sorry if I come across as an rear end in a top hat, I just wish more people were able to appreciate the show and enjoy what I think is provocative, unique writing -- or failing that, at least enjoy the show on a conceptual level.

A Good Post. The writers are deliberately leaving a lot of things vague because they are meant to serve as breadcrumbs and as we are getting towards the end of the season we have seen multiple payoffs as a result.

I get that people are getting more used to instant gratification, but Jesus it took like 10+ episodes just to find out what was in the hatch in Lost and that wasn't even scratching the surface of that shows end game. I'd say this show has pretty good pacing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean besides being a little weird I haven't seen a big story reason for it to matter. The only relationship it affects is his daughter but she's been crazy the whole series. So far at least.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I mean besides being a little weird I haven't seen a big story reason for it to matter. The only relationship it affects is his daughter but she's been crazy the whole series. So far at least.

Well yeah, but apparently lots of people wanna know what the poo poo happened if anything. There was one episode where I thought they really were doing it but Kevin was just having a nightmare or sleepwalking or whatever it is he does. But no, it probably doesn't matter at all.

As far as Jill, what you really mean is, she has been angsty and mad at her mom the entire show so basically is the only normal teenager in it besides the twins?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Poor hotcop, he just trying to be a good sexy man and everyone hates him for some reason.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poor hotcop, he just trying to be a good sexy man and everyone hates him for some reason.

I'm actually surprised at his latest developments. I knew something weird was going on with him at night but this is far beyond what I expected.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

tadashi posted:

I'm actually surprised at his latest developments. I knew something weird was going on with him at night but this is far beyond what I expected.

At first I thought his plot was one of the duller ones on the show, but they did a good job of letting it slowly build. I also like that they sorta reversed the trope of the troubled male lead, characters like Walter White, Don Draper, and Tony Soprano are so troubled because they treat other people like pieces of poo poo. Garvey's troubled because he's treating unsympathetic characters (the GR) like actual human beings. It's a nice breathe of fresh air.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I find it weird that Tyler Durden Garvey would bet that he could rehabilitate one of the dogs, it seems like something regular Garvey would do.

Also in response to an earlier post, dipping in upstate NY is not at all unusual.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dantu posted:

I find it weird that Tyler Durden Garvey would bet that he could rehabilitate one of the dogs, it seems like something regular Garvey would do.

That struck me as well, and makes it seem like it's not a simple case of Night Hotcop = Evil, Day Hotcop = Good.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dantu posted:

Also in response to an earlier post, dipping in upstate NY is not at all unusual.

Oh, well, then I was wrong about that. I guess I was still thinking about NYC where I wouldn't imagine anyone would dip, but I've never been to the state or even that far north.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh, well, then I was wrong about that. I guess I was still thinking about NYC where I wouldn't imagine anyone would dip, but I've never been to the state or even that far north.

Once you start going upstate it's like middle America.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I finally realized what Scott Glen's character reminds me of: a human version of Gaga Peepap Cuyler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhBZyc77HRU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Yeah, I live in New York and if you head upstate 3+ hours outside the city, certain areas are basically the south. (I'm looking at you Liberty, NY)

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

Junkenstein posted:

That struck me as well, and makes it seem like it's not a simple case of Night Hotcop = Evil, Day Hotcop = Good.

I got the sense that Night Hotcop does stuff to further the cause of whoever those voices are (working from the assumption the voices gramps hears are real). So, yeah, I'm with you. Not exactly evil, but maybe evil if the voices are evil. Not simple at least, which is why I love this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I just plowed through the first 8 episodes last night. There are a lot of things that I like, but a growing number of things I don't like. The things I don't like are the things that Lindelof is famous for (whether that's particularly fair or not). The things that I do like are where your expectation of "Oh god here comes a Lindelof Schrodinger's Cat gimmick" is subverted and it's actually something unambiguous and yet still chilling and cool. E.g. where Kevin takes apart the toaster oven and finds his lost bagels, or at the end of Guest where Nora proves to hotel security that someone REALLY IS, IN FACT, impersonating her. This last episode looked like it was building up to something quite cool, where Kevin finds all his lost shirts and realizes holy poo poo, yeah I'm going insane, BETTER DO SOMETHING TO GET OFF THE TRAIN TRACKS but no, Patti has to die and Keven has to be left trapped in a nightmare because the other option would have been pretty loving hard to write, let's stick to what we know (Gaslighting: The TV Show)

Kevin comes across as someone I want to like in his characterization, but he's totally hapless and has no agency. He doesn't react to what the gently caress is going on around him in any semblance of a law enforcer or pretty much anyone able to feed himself. What's my imaginary friend's name? Asked him once and gave up, didn't inquire further. Imaginary Friend walks around residential areas shooting a high powered rifle, does he intervene or at least maybe collect a shell casing or something? No, have to leave his existence permanently in doubt. Imaginary Friend leaves a loving $35,000 truck with no plates in my driveway, do I even bother to run down where it was purchased? No I just start driving it, I mean yeah ok I'm the chief of police it's not like I'm gonna give myself a ticket for improper registration haha!

I mean seriously I had high hopes when Kevin defeats his imaginary friend/guardian angel/ghost/whatever and prevents Patti's death, but then she loving kills herself anyway rendering the whole thing frustratingly pointless. Maybe he never was supposed to have any agency, most of the other characters don't anyway - Max the Reverend is fanatically unable to compromise; Laurie is inscrutable silent cult person following their oddly specific orders; Tom and Christine and their counterpart teams are Wayne's puppets; Kevin's dad is nuts and says straight out he's not in control of his own actions; etc etc etc. I'm not totally against a show about things happening to people, and those people not having any effective response -- but this seems to be leaning on that "doodoodoodoo IT WAS ALL A DREAM doodoodoodoo" schtick, which sucks all the care for its characters right out of me.

e: Also god drat the Guilty Remnant is like some poo poo out of a Simpsons episode. "LET US SMOKE" "IT WON'T BE LONG NOW" We recruit people by standing outside of their houses leaving cigarette butts everywhere and have no particular doctrine or teachings other than handing you an axe and waiting for you to GET IT (whatever IT is)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread