Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 389 days!
cool box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
those robertson screws? boxes is expensive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

robertson screws best screws

socket head hex screws were invented as the next best thing after robertson wouldn't license his patents

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
why do you keep making boxes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and how much can i pay you for a box i need furniture

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Silver Alicorn posted:

those robertson screws? boxes is expensive

robertson. the best kind of screw.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

boxes are great and useful

i just haven't found anything to put in said boxes yet

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Bloody posted:

and how much can i pay you for a box i need furniture

how big of a box do you need the biggest problem with boxes is shipping

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

um idk good question

current two largest furniture needs are tv stand and kitchen table but neither seems that box friendly altho like a chest could work for the tv except RIP its useability as a chest

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Wild EEPROM posted:

just ship it in a box

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

I've found them good for storing fabric you want to forget you had

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wild EEPROM posted:

find someone else that needs to ship some contents to the same destination and split the postage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qaKAdR4OYg

the colour is hosed up a bit once I record it and it's moving a little bit faster than it should. Welp this is how the game intro is going to be and then the island selection

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Wild EEPROM posted:

fair enough

make a box to ship a box in

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

the colour is hosed up a bit once I record it and it's moving a little bit faster than it should. Welp this is how the game intro is going to be and then the island selection

this is neat, entirely within ue4 script editor? this future is so great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ChiralCondensate posted:

this is neat, entirely within ue4 script editor? this future is so great

yeah. as of now I am just "flying" that but I am going to make it a pre-scripted fly and then when you go through the star you get the menu and then choose you island?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

smaller boxes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

im the static water and the fraps overlay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

im the static water and the fraps overlay

took me ages to work out how to do vertex displacement but i got it eventually

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

badass

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks. it's coming together excellently .
it's nice having an idea in my head what I want to achieve, and then with a bit of fuckin around and web searches I basically do it. then get it wrong and fiddle around LOTS and more web searching and THEN maybe it looks good :smugmrgw:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
c quantum mech s

rereading the stuff about particles scattering/tunnelling through a potential barrier and all of a sudden i realize that i now understand transistors

also i was daydreaming and looking out the window at some clouds during the sunset and i noticed it took about 12 minutes after the sun set before the very tops of the clouds weren't illuminated anymore, so i tried figuring out in my head how high they must be. tl;dr it involves trig and i ended up sitting there doing a taylor series in my head; it was tedious (i ended up with an answer of about 12000 feet, which sounds like it's within an order of magnitude of how high you'd expect clouds to be so i'm going to assume i was correct)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

something something on the light spectrum

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i'm going to assume i was correct

:smugmrgw:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
u guys really are dorks!!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

this is cool well done

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Granbar posted:

u guys really are dorks!!

thanks!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stealth Like posted:

this is cool well done

thanks bro I crave that affirmation. I'm thinking I start a project.log for my project coz I wanna post post post but not poo poo up this thread with [too much of] my junk

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this is v good but should be made of pills thx

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
idiot project status: I think ue4 is gonna make me upgrade my pc, it takes forever to do anything on this slowass old pos amd cpu

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

idiot project status: I think ue4 is gonna make me upgrade my pc, it takes forever to do anything on this slowass old pos amd cpu

it must be old. i fly along with mine. still thinking of going to i7 for those sweet extra threads

tbf apart from compiling i have *nothing* to complain about re: the speed of ue4 on my pc

throw your pc deets out and are you new to all of this or not really? share share share i want someone to chat with about it and pass down the legendary lessons i have learnt in 2 weeks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i built this computer in 2008. core 2 quad, 4gb of ram, geforce 9800. since then i have put in an ssd and upgraded the graphics card once (gtx 660). still kneads my suits. i can stick modern games on it and they still run perfectly fine. newest version of solidworks is a little clunk with big files but completely usable. the amortized cost of the machine has been something like 200 dollars a year.

i kind of want to upgrade, probably would swap out the mobo and processor and keep the same graphics card, but why?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

it must be old. i fly along with mine. still thinking of going to i7 for those sweet extra threads

tbf apart from compiling i have *nothing* to complain about re: the speed of ue4 on my pc

throw your pc deets out and are you new to all of this or not really? share share share i want someone to chat with about it and pass down the legendary lessons i have learnt in 2 weeks

you've been unusually lucid lately

this project must be focusing your mind or something

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

my laptop has 16gb of ram. i'm not sure if it even makes a difference beyond the original 8gb but whatever/lmao. i dont really play "modern" "games" but it works great for solidworks so its fine by me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

you've been unusually lucid lately

this project must be focusing your mind or something

i just dont have the time nor inclination to do much poo poo posting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/188494-photorealism-in-unreal-engine-4-in-real-time-a-sneak-peek-at-next-gen-games-graphics

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

this owns hard. bethsoft please run es6 on ue4

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I was kinda exaggerating, the only thing thats slow so far is the material editor which takes forever to update and also to apply a material to a model

I'm going through the "3rd person blueprint" video tutorial series (very very slowly due to real life stuff) and having fun so far but I haven't done much

I'm very new to doing any game dev or 3d stuff but not new to programming and I've had a bunch of math because my bs is in electrical engineering so when people start taking math I can at least kinda understand

Pc is an oldass 3 core amd pos, 4gb ram, radeon 6750, and an SSD

I have a laptop with an i7 in it but basically no graphics hw and it gets really, really hot when I run ue4 on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Arcsech posted:

3 core amd

burn that thing to heat your house temporarily, it will be a better use of it