Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

Does that include outliers like the Zssa or is it literally anything with Gundam in the unit designation?

Any new kit that's a major Gundam is technically part of All Gundam Project, even stuff like Airmaster. The Zssa's just Bandai having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So it's not likely I can slap gouf r35 limbs on this Wing Gundam Fenice, huh?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Muffinlord posted:

So it's not likely I can slap gouf r35 limbs on this Wing Gundam Fenice, huh?
Looking at the manuals on Dalong.net those joints have the same polycaps so you actually could.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, I, uh, I might just have the beginnings of a problem. Maybe.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

So, I, uh, I might just have the beginnings of a problem. Maybe.

I gotta ask, why 2 Full Armors? Is one the web exclusive red Psychoframe?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The second full armor is custom repaint fodder, and pretty much exists only for the psychoframe.

Basically, the Phenex's blue psychoframe is going into my already-built FA Unicorn, which is also going to get a repainted v-fin and repainted armed armors from the Banshee to make it look like the FA Unicorn Plan B. I don't know what I'm going to do with the Phenex yet, probably wait until I have a better airbrush setup so I can make it less of a fingerprint/nub mess.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

If you need somebody to get rid of all those minigun's let me know. :v:

Seriously though, get a MG Heavyarms and somehow attach them all on it, even if it's just once, for kicks. :v:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Bimmi posted:

Also be aware that Testors clearcoats are generally regarded as junk.

Little bit back, but speaking of Testor's clearcoats, if anyone's curious as to how they might look, I just put a layer of Dullcote onto my Wing Gundam Fenice. It hasn't caught fire or anything, so there's that, at least. I'll post some pictures tomorrow, once it has some time to cure. They will be lovely pictures, but hopefully it will provide something for folks who can't constantly import really good paint. :shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I finished my Crossbone Maoh.

I'm not sure how long the inner satellite-collector cape will last, but the outer black capes should do fine.

I couldn't resist modifying one of the hands though.

I'm really bad at getting all the beam sabers in one shot.

I made a cigar for it out of a piece of sprue, but I lost it part-way through painting. If I find it again (or make another) I'll take another shot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That looks drat cool, but the paint seems to have been laid on pretty thick. Is that just because metallic paints are a bitch to work with and thin properly?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:syoon:

Was the cigar for the chest skull? Please tell me it was.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Poison Mushroom posted:

That looks drat cool, but the paint seems to have been laid on pretty thick. Is that just because metallic paints are a bitch to work with and thin properly?

Yeah, they had a bad tendency to thicken around the edges of armor plates. It was my first time with metallics so I wasn't sure what to expect. Next time I'll spring for Vallejo Liquid Gold, I think.

Edit: I think the batch of paint I bought was no good, the white had congealed almost completely and I had to return it; and I had to do some real stirring to get the gold off the bottom. I probably should've returned it too but it looked like it smoothed out pretty well. Turns out: nope!

Bloody Pom posted:

:syoon:

Was the cigar for the chest skull? Please tell me it was.

It was indeed. I'm upset that I lost it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 21, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Often yes. Sometimes you end up with comparatively large metallic flakes suspended in solvent rather than the much finer pigment of regular colors.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was indeed. I'm upset that I lost it.

I'm so happy that you went for it. Truth be told Crossbone Maoh is the only kit in my stack at the moment and I may end up trying to do my own blinged out version now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Found it!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:golfclap:

Bravo. 50 Cent would be proud.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That is sublime.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

:swoon:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Add to OP, Mecha Gojira.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goddamn, that's amazing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

That is amazing.

In the last few weeks of work procrastination I made a list of the kits I really want to own someday, excluding variants, option parts, etc. Total costs would be €850 for my "shortlist" :stare:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
We talking procrastination now? Because man I sure wish I was actually working on my backlog instead of wasting all my time on a new game. :negative: Okay not really because I love this game but still

My poor MG X and MG Exia RII have been sitting disassembled for painting for like two weeks now.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

That's the best. :3:

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Incredible. :swoon:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

My MG Turn X is in tomorrow. Excitement grows.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Magical :allears:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What are these two kits like? What do they look like unpainted?

edit: Oh and also this kit.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Luminaflare posted:

I can't tell you what they're like, but dalong.net has pictures. Looks like they need a little work to make them look game-accurate, and the Vic Viper could definitely use so panel lines.

And to toot my own horn, a couple weeks ago I got my hands on the Riobot Jehuty toy. It is really slick, but I don't think I could've justified paying full price for it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
In my quest to have a Super Robot collection and not buy sub-par SRC figures, I present my newest project.

As some of you may know, this is the Full Drilized version which came with clear green drills to stick onto GL, but they are sadly as short as shown on the boxart and quite frankly look very unimpressive. Paint alone won't bring out this kit's full potential, so I need to add a little...manliness.

I managed to get the SRC Drill set of Manliness for a good price, and will be using the drills along with the Giga Drill so this kit can pierce the heavens. :kamina: Here is what is done so far:

All I had to do was cut down the peg, and the SRC headcrest fits perfectly onto the model's head. I also lucked out and had the perfect shade of paint to add around Gurren's mouth, which also matches the color on the headcrest. I'll also be adding a two-tone to the main color scheme, with dark red and gold highlights to compliment the default red and yellow plastic.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

If you can, try to find the HD re-release Jehuty. It's the same model except it has far more accessories and the colors are more game accurate.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
So I don't have time for Gunpla these days but I still want to have cool robots to put on my shelf. What's the consensus on Robot Damashii/Spirits? Do they look great out of the box or are they something I'd want to panel line and touch up? Also what differentiates them from the new Assault Kingdom line?

Also I still have a few kits left over in my sa-mart thread if anyone is interested. Let me know you're from this thread and I'll drop a few buck off each kit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Faltion posted:

So I don't have time for Gunpla these days but I still want to have cool robots to put on my shelf. What's the consensus on Robot Damashii/Spirits? Do they look great out of the box or are they something I'd want to panel line and touch up? Also what differentiates them from the new Assault Kingdom line?

Also I still have a few kits left over in my sa-mart thread if anyone is interested. Let me know you're from this thread and I'll drop a few buck off each kit.

Most RDs look pretty good out of the box. Assault Kingdom are much smaller (like 4 inches tall) and much less detailed or poseable.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So, Testor's Dullcote. Short version: I'm neither impressed nor put off, really.

Disclaimer before long version: My Fenice came out pretty poorly and it's far more my fault more than the topcoat's; I was tired disassembling the kit for painting the night before, and still tired when I did the actual painting. Consequently, I wound up smudging the panel lines and not brushing it down very thoroughly prior to spraying, and I caught approximately none of that until after the fact.

Also huge, terribly lit and generally lovely pictures ahead.

Anyway:

What I dislike most about the dullcote is the finished texture. Pictured above is a side-skirt piece, and even with my phone's camera you can hopefully tell it looks a little like an orange peel. It definitely feels rougher than the Mr. Hobby I used to topcoat the SD Deathscythe I built (and never photographed. :v:)

The rifle probably shows this off a little better, as a flatter surface.

It just doesn't really hold up under close scrutiny and passable light.

To be fair to Testor's, I have two more things to say in addition to my earlier disclaimer: Firstly, I'm probably still pretty poo poo at this whole painting thing. This is the third kit I've ever topcoated, and the first one that isn't an SD Gundam, so I'm still learning exactly how to do it completely right. I also probably did several things wrong along the way!

Secondly, I'm probably overstating the difference I perceive between the two topcoats, in terms of how it looks and feels. I don't think my kit would look much better with better paint in it. And regardless, saving ~$10 (or more) on a can of paint is nothing to sneeze at, for someone who's presently just building pretty casually, like myself.

But anyway, uh, I guess I agree that you could regard Testor's clearcoats as junk, although they're pretty sufficient to my needs. I should probably just listen to folks here more in the future. :shobon:

I'm currently prohibited from a decent shot of my finished Fenice by the light. I'll try and get one tomorrow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a review of System Weapon 008 up on GundamGuy. Looks like it does indeed mount onto your Zeta of choice, though that's not really surprising after the 007 doing the same for the Sinanju.

There's also a few unstickered close-up shots of the G-Self and the Grimoire.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pros of psychoframe replacement: It looks really awesome when it's finished
Cons: Holy poo poo I forgot just how much poo poo I fused together when I put the FA Unicorn together. I knew I would regret cementing that shield. :smith:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

In your defense, the cement was a necessary evil. The Unicorn is the Ford Pinto of MGs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I cant remember if this has already been announced yet so; there's an HG Crossbone X1 coming in November.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I cant remember if this has already been announced yet so; there's an HG Crossbone X1 coming in November.

Nobody had any doubt that it was coming, but it's good to have some confirmation. How's the HGBF Crossbone? Any particular problems? I know the MG is notorious for not using polycaps or something...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son Ryo posted:

Nobody had any doubt that it was coming, but it's good to have some confirmation. How's the HGBF Crossbone? Any particular problems? I know the MG is notorious for not using polycaps or something...

The only problem I've had is the wrists lack polycaps, so it's a bit hard to pose the big bone-gun/cutters without them hanging limp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
With model kits being as expensive as they are, and with the amount of time it takes to build them up nicely, I'm more than willing to pay a premium for top-quality paints and finishing materials. This is not a hobby that rewards penny-pinching, by and large.

One way to reduce orange peel with crappy spraypaints like Dullcote is to let the can sit in hot (not boiling!) water for a couple-three minutes before spraying: the heat promotes smaller paint droplets and a finer spray overall. I even do this with the good stuff because I want that paint laying down as smooth as humanly possible.

• Locked thread