Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Samizdata posted:

Mellow? The one that will keep it cold before and after it cooks it? And that I also believe has a goon involved with it?

It only keeps it cold before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nwin posted:

It only keeps it cold before.

Huh. I thought I saw something about it chilling it afterwards too. Oh, well, I can't afford any of these toys any way, so I am lucky I remembered it at all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Samizdata posted:

Mellow? The one that will keep it cold before and after it cooks it? And that I also believe has a goon involved with it?

That's the one! Thanks!

Keep cold after seems like a gigantic pain in the butt rapidly chilling water. Unfortunately, you can't cool stuff by dumping electricity through a resistor like you can heating stuff.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

That's the one! Thanks!

Keep cold after seems like a gigantic pain in the butt rapidly chilling water. Unfortunately, you can't cool stuff by dumping electricity through a resistor like you can heating stuff.

I understand. I was apparently misremembering, although I have heard of ovens with refrigeration units, so that didn't seem so far off to me. Although I had thought they had sold a little better...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 20, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Samizdata posted:

Huh. I thought I saw something about it chilling it afterwards too. Oh, well, I can't afford any of these toys any way, so I am lucky I remembered it at all.

Nope, the goon involved specifically said that going from cold to hot was doable, but the reverse direction (hot to cold) not so much.

Drive By posted:

Cold to hot takes 10 minutes, hot to cold takes 2 hours or more, room temperature to cold takes an hour or so. The major benefit is keeping food safe while you're away fromthe kitchen, but the more we play with it, the more we find out you can do some funky things when you have full control of the temperature spectrum.

Drive By posted:

Sorry nwin, I thought that was the case you were originally referring to. I can't recommend you do cook-chill with our thing, for most foods the core temperature won't decrease fast enough to guarantee safety.

The general cooking curve our algorithm goes through is: chill for a while, cook just in time, decrease temperature slightly if necessary for some reason (when it's possible).

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?
I just got a sous vide machine and it has been pretty amazing so far. I do have a question though. I am cooking beef short ribs for dinner on Thursday, but I want to make a steak for tonight. Would it be bad if I turn the heat down from 144 to 134 for an hour or so to cook the steak, then crank it back up to 144 after the steaks are done?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FredLordofCheese posted:

I just got a sous vide machine and it has been pretty amazing so far. I do have a question though. I am cooking beef short ribs for dinner on Thursday, but I want to make a steak for tonight. Would it be bad if I turn the heat down from 144 to 134 for an hour or so to cook the steak, then crank it back up to 144 after the steaks are done?

That will be fine. I do my short ribs at 131.5 for 48 hours.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

CrazyLittle posted:

Nope, the goon involved specifically said that going from cold to hot was doable, but the reverse direction (hot to cold) not so much.

You're entirely right. Cooling technology is much more power-hungry, bigger, and much more expensive than heating. Building Mellow to cook-chill would imply 10 times the size and10 times the cost, and it wouldn't deliver any extra benefit 90% of the time. Since we generate time-emperature curves procedurally, we can already cope with almost anything you can throw at it.

If you really want to cook-chill with Mellow, it won't be impossible, but we can't make it entirely automatic, either. I'll give you guys more detail as we move into production.

PS: happy to field any questions on our widget. I'm really happy to see the sous-vide field evolve, and it feels good to have a hand in it.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That will be fine. I do my short ribs at 131.5 for 48 hours.

Awesome, I saw someone posted earlier they liked 144 best so I started there.

So far I have made chicken, pork shoulder ribs, and 2 different cuts of steak. It is all delicious and so much less work than a crock pot or straight up grilling. Setting the sous vide machine before I go to work and coming home to ~15 minutes of cooking to have dinner ready is amazing.

I am thinking of doing mashed potatoes with the ribs tomorrow, and making a gravy out of the bag juice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been vizzling for several years now, and I've yet to use the bag juice. For some reason I always treat it like toxic waste. I have no idea why, but there's a mental block there.

edit: My searzall should be shipping at the end of the month. Anyone else here order one?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

I've been vizzling for several years now, and I've yet to use the bag juice. For some reason I always treat it like toxic waste. I have no idea why, but there's a mental block there.

edit: My searzall should be shipping at the end of the month. Anyone else here order one?

I've never had bag juice that looked or smelled appetizing enough that I wanted to do anything other than toss it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The liquid from the chicken thighs I made last night smelled fine and made a perfectly nice pan sauce once I let the fat separate out in the fridge while I cooled the thighs in ice water. The non-fat stuff was basically jello once I lifted the fat off (used it to sear the chicken), which seemed (and was!) too good to waste.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

novamute posted:

I've never had bag juice that looked or smelled appetizing enough that I wanted to do anything other than toss it.

The chicken I did had awesome smelling bag juice so I ended up adding a little red wine and reducing it into a sauce. I think it depends on what you put in the bag? I had fresh oregano, thyme, halved garlic cloves, ground black sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.

The garlic cloves tasted awful though, I picked them out. They tasted like a sponge with no flavor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bag juice is a little different from regular pan sauce, though. Normally you have all this meat matter that browned and turned into fond in the pan, and you use a liquid to break it off the pan. If you're using bag juice to break up fond you already have in a pan, that's fine, but you can't expect the meat in the bag juice to turn into fond by itself unless you cook off all the liquid first, brown it, then add liquid again.

(raises hand)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 20, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I never use the bag juice for anything. I either make a pan sauce with the fond after I sear the thing or just make some other sort of sauce while it's puddling or searing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

FredLordofCheese posted:

The chicken I did had awesome smelling bag juice so I ended up adding a little red wine and reducing it into a sauce. I think it depends on what you put in the bag? I had fresh oregano, thyme, halved garlic cloves, ground black sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.

The garlic cloves tasted awful though, I picked them out. They tasted like a sponge with no flavor.

Use powdered garlic instead of fresh when doing s-v stuff, fresh is super terrible comparatively.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If you're using bag juice to break up fond you already have in a pan

Yeah, you either do this or you use some wine to break up the fond and then add the bag juice or something like that. I didn't mean to suggest that just dumping the bag juice in a bowl was equivalent to a pan sauce.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 20, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fresh garlic is known to get a weird (metal?) taste when vizzled. I also find that pepper gets funky when in the bath for long periods of time.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use powdered garlic instead of fresh when doing s-v stuff, fresh is super terrible comparatively.

Oh that makes sense, I will have to do that next time. I thought I was doing something wrong :v:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
When using the SV method, is it alright to have the meat cut up in pieces versus having one whole chunk of meat?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

When using the SV method, is it alright to have the meat cut up in pieces versus having one whole chunk of meat?

Yes. In fact, a piece of meat that is too large (generally speaking, over about 3 inches at its thinnest point) can't be safely cooked per normal food safety guidelines.

There's a lot more too it than that, but yeah, cut up your meat, it will be fine.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

There's a lot more too it than that, but yeah, cut up your meat, it will be fine.

Excellent, thank you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

Excellent, thank you.

This is an excellent (and free!) starting point for temperature tables, a little bit of science, safety guidelines, and ideas.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
My nieces (9 and 11yo) apparently only like fish either raw (yay !), or cooked to death (Salmon and Tuna at 60C -> sad panda). At least at these temps there's no need to sear after sous vizzling... Half proud of them...
Still need to get them to like nori and rice with vinegar to keep the costs down though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I also bought a Searzall.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Count me in for a 3" mini salamander adapter. Someone was talking about kickstarter the other day and I finally decided to check on when those were shipping. Good to see it will be here soon.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am getting a searzall and just realized I was at a Home Depot yesterday and forgot to get another yellow can of gas.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you're supposed to use a camp size bottle of propane with it. The stuff on kick starter said not to use it with mapp/ mapp pro, etc.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

I think you're supposed to use a camp size bottle of propane with it. The stuff on kick starter said not to use it with mapp/ mapp pro, etc.

That was just about cylinder stability, not the gas itself, though. They've used it with Map/Pro torches and ran tests with it as well, and the clamp (if you get it) overrides their original statement about the cylinder. The relevant quotes:

quote:

The Clamp:

The reason we only support 16.4 ounce camping bottles of propane is because it is the most stable small cylinder you can buy. We have designed a patent-pending clamp that can stabilize any cylinder --in fact any round thing-- between the size of an Iwatani butane can and a 16.4 ounce propane cylinder.

[...]

Q: What kind of fuel tanks should I use?

A: We only recommend using 16.4 ounce camping tanks of propane. Thinner cylinders are not stable enough.

[...]

Q: What are the performance differences of the Searzall when used with different torches and gasses? Will it work on my torch with my gas?

A: We have made a video comparing searing a raw hamburger with the Bernzomatic TS4000 and TS8000 using both propane and MAP//Pro (propylene, real MAPP no longer available) and, for reference, the Iwatani running on butane.

So MAP/Pro should be fine as long as you can stabilize the cylinder.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't really understand the clamp. What's a use case?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

No Wave posted:

Uhh, tall gas cylinder stabilisation.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

The searzall itself is heavy, and if you sit it down it will fall over with a tall cylinder.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was this an option somewhere or do I have to go buy a short fat gas can in the coming weeks?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hed posted:

Was this an option somewhere or do I have to go buy a short fat gas can in the coming weeks?

I think they didn't get enough funding to go through with it, but I made my own 3D printed one (much more basic and uses a screw for tightening instead of being a spring loaded clamp) based on their design, if you guys want I'll post pics of it when I get home tomorrow.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

No Wave posted:

It's for when you're done burning stuff and need to put down the very very hot torch cone on a table without it falling over.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if this would be big/strong enough

http://www.lowes.com/pd_552523-281-1901244_0__

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

yoshesque posted:

Someone please take this coupon off my hands: backer-48tb54df

Snagged it! Thanks very much, my brother is going to love his surprise present.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

To clamp around the base of a plumbers-style propane cylinder? Not a chance.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Possibly, 3 inches seems like a small opening diameter for the job though. The biggest advantage of their design is/was that it had 6 legs all around to add stability, it's what I copied on my knockoff. If I hadn't done it how I did it (screw for clamping pressure) I would've designed it around a plastic wood clamp I have around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The best you could maybe do with that metal spring clamp is maybe clamping it around the neck of the tool, then leaning the bottle over on it in a "long tripod" arrangement. Maybe.