Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Ainsley makes her share of valid points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And then asks for a muffin. Or soda.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I feel like she's a full-fledged tier two character, somewhere between Sam and Ed/Larry in terms of development. But she does get mistreated with her cringeworthy introductory AND I'M THEIR LAWYER :qq: speech, what an awful way to introduce the character.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Eh, at this point she seems to exist for Sam to go "so what do you think of Thing :smug:" and for her to parrot talking points until she gets exasperated and offers a counter-argument that leaves Sam stunned 40 minutes later.

And asking for muffins.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

So according to Netflix, the premiere of season 3 is a Very Special Episode where the main characters explain the concepts of terrorism and Islamic extremism (re: 9/11) to a bunch of high schoolers (that obviously represent the audience) while Leo is uncharacteristically racist toward a Muslim suspected of being a terrorist, which all seems to take place out of order of the show's timeline while the second episode continues the cliffhanger from the end of season 2? :psyduck:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So according to Netflix, the premiere of season 3 is a Very Special Episode where the main characters explain the concepts of terrorism and Islamic extremism (re: 9/11) to a bunch of high schoolers while Leo is uncharacteristically racist toward a Muslim suspected of being a terrorist, which all seems to take place out of order of the show's timeline while the second episode continues the cliffhanger from the end of season 2? :psyduck:

The intro to the episode mentions that it's basically a play using the characters and is not part of the show's story in any way. It was aired weeks after 9/11. I think there's some good stuff in it, but again it's not part of the show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The intro to the episode mentions that it's basically a play using the characters and is not part of the show's story in any way.

Oooooooooh, my Netflix must have messed up because I realize that I missed that intro somehow. Now it makes sense. Nevermind, carry on. Was it promoted as the season premiere at the time, was it advertised as a special, or is Netflix dumb and out of order?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 20, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oooooooooh, my Netflix must have messed up because I realize that I missed the intro and opening titles somehow. Nevermind, carry on. Was it promoted as the season premiere at the time, was it advertised as a special, or is Netflix dumb and out of order?

Here's the intro. It was the first episode of the season, but very much just a special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSAMKvADVhg

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oooooooooh, my Netflix must have messed up because I realize that I missed that intro somehow. Now it makes sense. Nevermind, carry on. Was it promoted as the season premiere at the time, was it advertised as a special, or is Netflix dumb and out of order?

Martin Sheen does a specific intro that says its not part of the narrative and the season cliffhanger will be picked up the following week. Netflix on some shows will skip the opening credits for you. It might have done that.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Here's the intro. It was the first episode of the season, but very much just a special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSAMKvADVhg

Okay, they cut that from the show on Netflix and the runtime is 39-something. The episode opens with the episode title and no explanation. That explains everything.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'd forgotten Janel's, "And I get a boyfriend!" at the end of that. :lol:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I like to think of it as a bit of insight into what being Chief of Staff has to entail behind the eternal optimism of the show. Someone has to be the pragmatist.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I really liked Isaac and Ishmael, but again as a standalone play that's not really in the timeline or even with the characters. The fact that it came out weeks after 9/11 I think is what makes it especially interesting to watch.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Also you have to remember it's a pretty progressive piece of writing for that time. There was a lot of racist poo poo being said.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
A lot of people give it crap for being heavy-handed, but I remember at least one of my friends coming to school (it was our senior year) and saying "Man, I wanted to nuke all of the Middle East and then I saw that West Wing episode, it really changed my mind."

So you know, it had some effect, even if it was just on that one guy I knew.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Yo I heard all Muslims are terrorists, right" Hurr

gently caress that episode.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Except this was literally happening in the weeks after 9/11.

I'm in Canada and a friend of mine's brother ended up shaving his beard because he was getting so harassed by people.

People were terrified.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, it's not really what I'd call a good episode, but I forgive it because it was a crazy time just after 9/11. It's an interesting character study, and an interesting piece of TV history.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mu Zeta posted:

The episode isn't saying that though. It's explicitly trying to counter that sentiment, which as ridiculous as it might seem to us (and lets not forget that goons as a demographic are likely better educated, more worldly, politically and sociologically aware, and far more left leaning than the general population) that was a fairly widespread belief at the time, and one which continues to this day even outside of America. You can see it in the growing prominence of hardline anti immigration and even neo nazi elements in European politics, and there is an element of it here in Australia, which our current deplorable government is exploiting for its own political gain.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

This was not an unpopular opinion in 2001. I don't think you appreciate how insane and racist things got and still are.

e:fb

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but the episode was aimed at the people that already watch The West Wing. It just felt like a waste of an hour and really condescending.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

This was not an unpopular opinion in 2001. I don't think you appreciate how insane and racist things got and still are.

e:fb

*slowly looks over to Missouri.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah but the episode was aimed at the people that already watch The West Wing. It just felt like a waste of an hour and really condescending.

I guess there was an expectation that the show would do something and they preferred to deal with it like that rather than have the show continuity exist in a world in which September 11 occurred. I kinda agree with them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It probably was condescending but there were also a lot of people who needed to be condescended to (and still do) about the difference between Islam and extremism. I think it's fine for what it is.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
9/11 made the US go nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqxmJc9Ezk0

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's a lot less embarrassing in retrospect than the other programming that was put on air the first week shows resumed.

SNL had a musical number where they rhymed Afghani cities they wanted to bomb.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone who thinks Isaac and Ishmael was heavy handed doesn't remember how widespread "loving sand niggers!!!" was at that time.

"Brown people" are still viewed suspiciously 13 years later.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's hard to believe people don't remember how vile America was immediately post-9/11, but I guess thirteen years will do that. Hell, maybe in 130 we'll be able to totally whitewash the Iraq invasion.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, it's hard to believe people don't remember how vile America was immediately post-9/11, but I guess thirteen years will do that. Hell, maybe in 130 we'll be able to totally whitewash the Iraq invasion.

Remember the Maine Cole!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Of course there's a Wikipedia article about this. Of course. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks#Other_changes_prompted_by_the_events_of_9.2F11

quote:

Two episodes of Pokémon were temporarily taken off the air:

The episode "Tentacruel and Tentacool", due to scenes where a giant Tentacruel destroys a town called Porta Vista. Interestingly, a scene of the giant Tentacruel smashing a skyscraper was never removed from the opening credits of the first season, though it seems likely it was because that the season had already ended and the anime had already advanced by more than three seasons.
The other is "The Tower of Terror", and episode where Ash, Misty, and Brock was in Lavender Town in order to catch a Ghost-type Pokémon so that Ash would have an advantage over Saffron City's Gym Leader, Sabrina, who uses Psychic-typ Pokémon.. While no explanation has been given, it most likely has something to do with the name.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My favorite thing will forever be Clearchannel's list of 100 songs you couldn't play on the radio because of 9/11.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

My favorite thing will forever be Clearchannel's list of 100 songs you couldn't play on the radio because of 9/11.

Which just makes 9/11 the best day to listen to GBS.FM

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was it only 100? I thought it was a few hundred. And if I remember it wasn't that they were banned just that it was suggested that they shouldn't play them for a while.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Deadpool posted:

Was it only 100? I thought it was a few hundred. And if I remember it wasn't that they were banned just that it was suggested that they shouldn't play them for a while.

Was yakety sax on that list? This is important.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
All I remember is that Dave Matthews Band's "Crash into Me" was on that list.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Chamberk posted:

All I remember is that Dave Matthews Band's "Crash into Me" was on that list.

The list in question. 165 "Questionable" songs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Clear_Channel_memorandum

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lol "all songs by Rage Against the Machine".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

paragon1 posted:

lol "all songs by Rage Against the Machine".

Well, they got one thing right.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

What the hell did Louie Armstrong do wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

tomapot posted:

What the hell did Louie Armstrong do wrong?

He sang about racial and political harmony. What an rear end in a top hat.

It's easy to see where they're going with that list, and by any reasonable definition of logic The Star Spangled Banner should have been included.

• Locked thread