Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

GOOCHY posted:

For all you guys who are going through merger growing pains - bail out, please, for your own sanity. Update your resume and move on. You'll be so much happier, I promise. I went through what you're all describing back in '06 and stuck around for far, far too long. It's not worth the frustration and pains of mixing company cultures. It really isn't. Start fresh.

This is exactly what I am doing. I have 6+ recruiters who have been submitting me, 5 of which have already gotten me interviews ( I have one tomorrow morning making more money doing less work with a next to zero commute), and I think I am going to job hop for the next year or so until I find somewhere that makes me happy. I have 3 more interviews to go, and have high hopes. I work for a company that is constantly aquiring more companies and during that time you can't get a raise, transfer or promotion(!), and I am over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

quote:

For the sake of argument, let's say your initial offer is $70000. If you get a 5% raise after one year, and another 5% raise after another year, you're looking at $77175. If you negotiate just $5000 more to start and get the same percentage increases, your first raise puts you at $78750. You're making more after one year than you would be after two under the initial offer.

So what you're saying is that 5% of a big number is more than 5% of a little number.
:psylon: math is hard

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pedestrian Xing posted:

We finished our GW to exchange migration recently
Wow, people are still using Groupwise? Place I worked for over 10 years ago was big into moving them to Exchange.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bob Morales posted:

Wow, people are still using Groupwise? Place I worked for over 10 years ago was big into moving them to Exchange.

My company is still using Lotus Notes for HR.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

BigPaddy posted:

My company is still using Lotus Notes for HR.

Well change is scary and new software requires training and

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So what you're saying is that 5% of a big number is more than 5% of a little number.
:psylon: math is hard

Did you skip the last sentence?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Groupwise and Lotus are still enormously huge products, or product-lines if you will. Plenty of big corporations still use them and there's still active development.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

stubblyhead posted:

Did you skip the last sentence?

No it's just so obvious that it makes my head hurt

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

No it's just so obvious that it makes my head hurt

The point isn't what you said, though. The point is that even a modest increase will make a huge difference. 2 years is a long time.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Inspector_666 posted:

The point isn't what you said, though. The point is that even a modest increase will make a huge difference. 2 years is a long time.

I totally get it. Especially considering you would be starting off with 7% (5k) more from the beginning.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

To me, the point is that it's so obvious yet people still don't do it, so it's still worth highlighting.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

To me, the point is that it's so obvious yet people still don't do it, so it's still worth highlighting.

Agreed, sometimes you need to see things on paper not just in your head.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inspector_666 posted:

Well, there's no guarantee that you will get the same percentage raise if you start at a higher number. You may just start near the cap for that position and stay there. That's still better than having to work your way up there though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It's pretty much the same as putting $1k into retirement every month starting at 20 vs 30.

I need to save more :negative:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Is it sad that the first raise I'd seen in over 6 years was a mere 1%, and that a month later it and another $15k were eliminated from my annual pay? 5% is like a loving dream, and the only way I've managed any pay increase is by jumping jobs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

GOOCHY posted:

For all you guys who are going through merger growing pains - bail out, please, for your own sanity. Update your resume and move on. You'll be so much happier, I promise. I went through what you're all describing back in '06 and stuck around for far, far too long. It's not worth the frustration and pains of mixing company cultures. It really isn't. Start fresh.

That's the exact thing I needed to hear and I'm gonna get my rear end in gear too. Not so much a merger here, but I work at a small company and our newest management hires come from corporate backgrounds and they've killed pretty much every little perk that attracted me to my current job (casual dress, flexibility to work from home). You're right, it's not worth the frustration.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just got promoted from pseudo-management where it was just me and my machines to "now you have people reporting to you" management. I understand that there is this ITIL thing that I should probably look into, but can anyone else provide some sort of "you're now managing people in IT" bullet points so I can figure out what just happened? My only management experience with actual people prior to this was as a high school teacher, which isn't really relevant in the slightest to what I do now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sheep posted:

I just got promoted from pseudo-management where it was just me and my machines to "now you have people reporting to you" management. I understand that there is this ITIL thing that I should probably look into, but can anyone else provide some sort of "you're now managing people in IT" bullet points so I can figure out what just happened? My only management experience with actual people prior to this was as a high school teacher, which isn't really relevant in the slightest to what I do now.
ITIL is kind of a prescriptive guide on how to run a large IT department, so it's probably not what you want to be implementing. It's worth quickly reading about so you can see how all the pieces and roles fit together in a large enterprise, though.

There's a newish thread in BFC called Tell Me How to Be a Good Manager that's probably a good place to start asking questions.

My advice is as follows: hire the most competent people you can find. Resist the urge to get someone in a chair because you need warm bodies doing work; if you're reasonably good at managing systems at scale, this kind of person will cost you more in productivity than you'll net back. Working in a small environment that probably pays at least slightly below market rate (and this is nothing more than a vague assumption on my part), you'll need to take risks on people who don't fit all the checkboxes for the positions you want. You'll need to take a chance on people based on gut feelings about their intelligence and ability to do the job, and you need to do what has to be done if they turn out not to be up to the task.

IT management, especially in small and budget-constrained environments, is a monumentally challenging but really rewarding occupation. Congratulations, and good luck!

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Sheep posted:

If the people who report to you are trustworthy, let them do their jobs. Micromanagement breeds contempt. Of course you should be aware of what they are all working on, but make it personal and non-intrusive. If you introduce a shitload of metrics and are constantly asking for status updates, they will just find ways to look like they're working a lot without working a lot, simply out of spite.

If your department is performing as expected and you feel like you don't do anything, then you did it, you won at management. Your job is ultimately to ensure that your subordinates can do their jobs. Get people out of their way.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

"As expected" is (and should be) a consistently-moving set of goalposts, though. As manager, you need to do more than just facilitate the people under you. Presumably, you have better business acumen than the people who weren't picked for your job instead, and you should be using that to understand the priorities of the business units you support. Grow with them, anticipate their needs, and be a key player in the organization instead of just a cost center when things break.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My only real gripe is that we don't have a defined IT budget so any purchases and what not go through my boss, who isn't really an IT person at all, which brings a set of problems I'm sure you can understand. Not sure how to broach the topic of "maybe we should consider putting aside some money to actually provide a business-grade infrastructure or have backups for when things inevitably break".

The sooner I can walk into network closets and not see poo poo with names like D-Link and Belkin, the better. :sigh:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Backups are a really easy sell unless your boss actually wants to be unemployed.

It's completely trivial to find information about how frequently businesses never come back from catastrophic data losses, because companies like Carbonite who have a vested interest in selling you backup services have already done all of the research.

Spoiler alert: the numbers do not favour companies that don't make and test backups regularly.

Crap quality routers and stuff suck for you, but they do technically get the job done, so it's probably not a priority. Having and testing functional backups has a very good chance of being the difference between still being a business in 5 years or not being a business in 5 years.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Sheep posted:

Here is the simplest 'how to be a manager' thing I have ever seen posted anywhere:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&pagenumber=217#post433878545

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

GOOCHY posted:

I'm at a company that was purchased nearly ten years ago and it's still stuck between two ecosystems and ways of thinking, and it's not a great environment to be in. The uncertainty alone sucks. It can be a balancing act- I have a good salary and pretty excellent benefits right now (nearly 5 weeks of PTO), so looking can be difficult, especially if you've been at the same place a while. Still, if you can get out at the beginning, you can save yourself some pain.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How the hell do you guys get let alone find gigs that offer 5-weeks of PTO? Or even get it approved to be able to use?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Crossposting from the Enterprise Windows thread because I'm pulling my hair out on this one: Any of you used SSL certificates to encrypt a SQL Server 2012/2014 connection?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell do you guys get let alone find gigs that offer 5-weeks of PTO? Or even get it approved to be able to use?

Started with 3 weeks, added a week at 5 and 10 years. Yes, I've been here forever.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Tab8715 posted:

Been here a little over a year, I get 5 weeks off + holidays and sick time. Hospital.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I get 3 weeks of PTO per year, but it gets used for sick days and any holidays. Healthcare sucks but at least the benefits are kinda decent here.

Not like my dad's job, where he's accrued something like 3 months of sick time, which he can use in one shot and as long as he doesn't call out sick for like another 6 months, he gets it all back.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

3 weeks vacation here from the start, going up to 5 after 5 years at the company and 6 after 10 years. 15 sick days, and anything over 8 hours/weekday goes into a PTO bank at 1.5x since I'm salaried.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 23, 2014

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Glass of Milk posted:

I'm at a company that was purchased nearly ten years ago and it's still stuck between two ecosystems and ways of thinking, and it's not a great environment to be in. The uncertainty alone sucks. It can be a balancing act- I have a good salary and pretty excellent benefits right now (nearly 5 weeks of PTO), so looking can be difficult, especially if you've been at the same place a while. Still, if you can get out at the beginning, you can save yourself some pain.

I had the same experience. I occasionally communicate with people who still work at the company in question. They went through all the same issues and growing pains that you all are reporting, and I experienced first hand.

The people from the acquiring company who caused the "Us vs. Them" culture issues are still around and still making peoples lives hard nearly ten years after the fact. It's a product of a broken culture and management that doesn't put a stop to it. I was in management at the time and I, in no uncertain terms, stated that the "Us vs. Them" had to be put to a stop. It killed me politically at the company because I went against the status quo. That meeting is so clear in my mind. I knew as soon as I expressed the opinion that we all had to get along and move forward for the good of the business that it was over for me. That ended up being reality. I never advanced past that position and every request that I made to the home office from then on was fraught with delays and intractability.

As soon as I left that company I negotiated a 20% raise (and then another 15% raise at the next gig) and it seemed like the sun actually came out again. It was a revelation.

Seriously, don't kill yourselves over it. It's just a job and it is not worth the strain on your mental well being and personal relationships. Update that resume and get out.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 23, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Find a job where your boss reprimands you if you don't use all your PTO or if you respond to emails/tickets during time off (weekends, PTO, holidays, whatever).

We shut down for about a week every year so it's more like 4 weeks anyway (actually 5 but I don't get a choice about a week of it), but lots of PTO just seems to come with the territory among some companies (financial, .com-ish)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I get 20 days of PTO per year, although that's a pool that includes vacation and sick days. I doubt I could use it all in one shot, but taking 5 days at a time hasn't been a problem.

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Unlimited PTO here, but you're encouraged to communicate with your team and manager when you need to take off. We have a good bunch of people on our team, so it works out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

Find jobs at companies that aren't terrible? Take time off when you want because it's part of your compensation and if they don't let you take it then they are stealing from you?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also while I don't know firsthand and have only read and heard this, countries other than the USA are much more generous with paid time off.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

12 years same place. I have 5 weeks of PTO and a 3 month paid sabatical after being here for at least 7 years.

Also floating holiday time since we are 24/7/365 so if I work a holiday I get a day off whenever I want.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Anyone have a preferred SSH client app for iPhone these days?

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Misogynist posted:

Anyone have a preferred SSH client app for iPhone these days?

This one has a ton of 5 star reviews and is free. That being said, I've never actually used it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/server-auditor-ssh-shell-console/id549039908?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I use ServerAuditor and it's really solid

e: With a bluetooth keyboard. The iOS software keyboard is so terrible.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 23, 2014